Not really interested in movies anymore. Documentaries FTW

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 27, 2007
Anyone know of a Guns Germs and Steel type of Documentary?
I thought GG&S was kind of boring to be honest. If you want a more "natural history" doco then Carl Sagan's Cosmos is the perennial favourite. I haven't really seen too many docos about world history.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
I agree with the OP about movies. Perhaps he is right about the age thing, but my guess is that Hollywood just cranks out mostly crap. I've been watching some documentaries on PBS lately. This week I saw one about solving the mystery of how ancient King Tutankhamun may have died, and why his tomb survived intact for 3,000 years. A few weeks back I saw a Ken Burns documentary on the Prohibition movement in the US. It covered the beginning years in the 1800's, into the 1900's when the Constitution was amended, how the US culture was damaged, how a movement started to repeal it and continued through the aftermath of the repeal. Was about 5.5 hours. All fascinating. You can either educate yourself, or watch an Adam Sandler movie, that will make you want to end your life early, like Mayne.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Wow, awesome necro!

I actually got into documentaries not too long ago. I don't know why they are appealing now, just getting older I guess. Jiro Dreams of Sushi is the one that got me hooked, as I'm really into food right now. I've watched a ton of them on food, then started branching out. Well-done documentaries are like going down the rabbit hole on google & wikipedia when a topic strikes your fancy, only someone has already done all of the footwork for you & is presenting it in an interesting way. Watched a really good one on North Korea not too long ago. Vice actually has some really excellent ones:

https://www.vice.com/tag/documentary

If you google "imgur documentaries" you will get pages of lists with links. Here's one with a TON of links to watch them on Youtube:

http://imgur.com/gallery/hBuRxOK

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The Day Before Disclosure
Documentary about alien sights or encounters and how the government is secretive about it and knows a lot about such encounters/sights but not willing to share.

I personally don't really believe there are any but open minded to the fact that it could very well be possible, and documentaries like that really make you think.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
"Fresh Dressed" and "In Search of General Tso" were both pretty interesting to me.

I've probably seen "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" 5+ times already.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Allow me to recommend:

Touching the Void (already referenced in this thread)
Open Water
We Live In Public
Mr. Death
Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills
Paradise Lost II
The Staircase

You have excellent taste. These are all amazing. We Live in Public and Mr. Death are very under-viewed and need to be seen by more people.

The Staircase is one of the greatest docs ever made. Blowpoke ftw.

KT

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Of course, The Jinx (HBO) came out since the last time this thread was active. That was AMAZING.

Then we also have Making a Murderer.

Citizenfour (HBO)
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (HBO)

...HBO absolutely killed it last year.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've probably seen "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" 5+ times already.

If I had the cash & no responsibilities, I would have hopped on a plane to go eat at his shop same-day :D

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
What We Do in the Shadows - now THAT'S a documentary!
not really -- it's a mockumentary
:p

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Of course, The Jinx (HBO) came out since the last time this thread was active. That was AMAZING.

Then we also have Making a Murderer.

Citizenfour (HBO)
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (HBO)

...HBO absolutely killed it last year.

Man, I could only make it through about 20 minutes of Citizenfour. The subject matter is interesting enough I guess, I just thought it was a poor documentary and it could not hold my attention.

KT

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I find myself in the same boat. Mostly music documentaries. Some great ones:

Beware of Mr Baker
Twenty feet from stardom
Kansas: Miracles out of nowhere
Muscle Shoals
Ain't in it for my health
Soaked in bleach

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I love Doc's myself. One of my favorites was "The Moon machines" series which interviews the engineers who had to build the Saturn V, LEM, Command module, ect. The first in the series was "Saturn V", an amazing story of the obstacles these guys had to overcome to build such a monstrous beast, to this day it is/was the most powerful machine ever built by mankind, link.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Twenty feet from stardom is awesome.
That's probably my favorite out of all of them just because it's someone you can almost relate to. They are just everyday people.

'Gimme Shelter' will never be the same.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Just watched 'Touching the Void' per some posts here. Oh my God. Really unbelievable story. I think I liked this better than the most recent movie 'Everest'

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
There is very, very little mainstream TV I've watched in, probably, 30 years. I find most season-based TV absolutely unwatchable and responsible in some small measure to the general moral and societal decay (no, I'm not kidding.) When we did have cable, I watched mostly documentaries, biographies, and science stuff. I've always thought programs on actual things, people, and/or events are far more interesting than made up shit.

That probably explains why my bookshelves are full of the same stuff...

Yes, you have to understand who is responsible for any 'documentary' or such, and adjust your perception appropriately.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
None of us are getting younger :p
Found myself loving documentaries too. Hated them when I was younger!
The house I live in, a really nice doc on the war on drugs