Not really interested in movies anymore. Documentaries FTW

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
My favourite show on TV at the moment is Air Crash Investigation. It's like an ongoing documentary series about aeroplane accidents. I think it might go by the name Mayday in USA.
That's a Canadian show called Mayday here.

Its one of my favourite shows.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
a good war documentary was Battlefield. Loads of information.

another good one is Auschwitz: The Nazis and the 'Final Solution'.

PopCulture

Jan 11, 2011
Yeah. I really like docs. All types. I liked Joan Rivers a lot. She's been through so much. I thought she was just a rude lady with bad plastic surgery.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Grizzly Man and King of Kong: Fistfull of Quarters were good.

Those are both quite good. Especially Grizzly Man. Herzog is just awesome.

I also liked Word Wars. It follows some of the regular contestants in the competitive pro Scrabble circuit.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I actually enjoyed "Darkon", also on Netflix, quite a bit.

It follows a contact rp game with player made kingdoms.

There are a lot of moments where most people would say its nerdy but i found myself saying, "thats awesome" during a lot of those moments

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
"This American Life" had 2 seasons of a TV series made that is on Netflix streaming.

Feb 10, 2000
Allow me to recommend:

Touching the Void (already referenced in this thread)
Open Water
We Live In Public
Mr. Death
Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills
Paradise Lost II
The Staircase

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I'm always interested in documentaries on subjects that are followed by a small, but very passionate, group of people. Hence, why I liked:

Spellbound - a documentary about the national spelling bee
Wordplay - a documentary about the world of competitive crossword players
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - a documentary about breaking the world record for points in the classic arcade game Donkey Kong

gophins72

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2005
anyone have recommendations for good physics documentaries?

Last edited:

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
My favourite show on TV at the moment is Air Crash Investigation. It's like an ongoing documentary series about aeroplane accidents. I think it might go by the name Mayday in USA.

lol air crash investigation. I like the show Men Who Discredit Myths.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Watching King of Kong right now thanks to this thread. Enjoying it so far.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

yea that is like csi irl.
so much sh*t can go wrong lol

now when i'm on a plane...i'm like mr pilot ..take ur time man...

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
maybe you're just bored of the hollywood crap, and should try to find other movies, maybe even foreign movies :)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Anything having anything to do with politics is pure propaganda/opinionated.

Wrong, but it seems that way to the uninformed - and the propagandized - I guess.

I almost only read non-fiction - books are usually better than movies for current issues.

There's a monthly documentary DVD you can subscribe to to support independant documentary filmmaking, good Ironweed, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

Oct 27, 2007
Wrong, but it seems that way to the uninformed - and the propagandized - I guess.
Craig, I have read many of your posts in P&N. You are among the most brainwashed people I know. You only ever see things from one angle, you are closed-minded and refuse to consider your "side" might just be wrong on occasion. So don't go telling other people they are "propagandized", hypocrite.