(not my title, article title) Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Did you not read the article?

"President Obama said that penalties are appropriate for people who try to “free ride” the health care system but stopped short of endorsing the threat of jail time for those who refuse to pay a fine for not having insurance."

and

"Under the House bill those who can afford to buy insurance and don’t’ pay a fine. If the refuse to pay that fine there’s a threat – as with a lot of tax fines – of jail time. The Senate removed that provision in the Senate Finance Committee."

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
In all honesty, it doesnt matter what Obama says. Per the article:

Under the House bill those who can afford to buy insurance and don’t’ pay a fine. If the refuse to pay that fine there’s a threat – as with a lot of tax fines – of jail time. The Senate removed that provision in the Senate Finance Committee.

The final bill that comes out of the senate is going to most likely look nothing like the House bill. Very, very unlikely there will be a public option...as the Senate has said over and over again they wont pass a bill with one.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Good, hope you are first to be incarcerated.

And this is whats wrong with the looney left. They are more then happy to force the working class to buy things at gunpoint. And if you choose not to? To the gulag with you comrade.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
And this is whats wrong with the looney left. They are more then happy to force the working class to buy things at gunpoint. And if you choose not to? To the gulag with you comrade.

I feel this way too every time I go into the DMV to get a driver's license and they tell me I have a pile of tickets for using the Fast Track lane to cross the Golden Gate for free and want to arrest me.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
I feel this way too every time I go into the DMV to get a driver's license and they tell me I have a pile of tickets for using the Fast Track lane to cross the Golden Gate for free and want to arrest me.

Except this isn't like that at all... unless you were FORCED to use the fast track lane.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
No, I mean forced to use that route. That's what this mandate is - it forces you to use the bridge and fast track lane when you might otherwise choose a different route
OMG, you are kidding, right. I would rather pay the 4 dollars than have to drive around. The gas alone would provbably be 15 dollars that those bastards at the gas station make me pay for that.

Oct 30, 2004
It's too bad our congressmen won't just drop this charade and advocate something that has actually been proven to work--real single player socialized medicine--like what the UK has. Amazingly, they do it while spending a smaller percentage of GDP on it.

Instead, the United States will continue with its current system and continue to have mass suffering and be the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
It's too bad our congressmen won't just drop this charade and advocate something that has actually been proven to work--real single player socialized medicine--like what the UK has. Amazingly, they do it while spending a smaller percentage of GDP on it.

Instead, the United States will continue with its current system and continue to have mass suffering and be the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

Many of our congressmen and women WOULD advocate a single-payer system if there weren't so many of those wacko, free-enterprise-orgasmic bible-thumpers out there.

Not that all bible-thumpers are wacko (or orgasmic). But too many of them are.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If, and I mean "IF", this bill makes it through the Senate, I would imagine there are lawyers waiting to test this legislation on grounds of constitutionality. I dont think this bill stands much chance of passing as is. Most likely it will be changed or amended and rewritten and sent back for another round of arguments.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If, and I mean "IF", this bill makes it through the Senate, I would imagine there are lawyers waiting to test this legislation on grounds of constitutionality. I dont think this bill stands much chance of passing as is. Most likely it will be changed or amended and rewritten and sent back for another round of arguments.

I imagine someone will try, and they will almost certainly lose. If Medicare is constitutional (and it is), then this is easily so.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
How come people keep coming to the United States to get the best medical care in the world?

Surely you understand the difference between - on the one hand - a system in which the highest-tech, most sophisticated medical services are available and - on the other hand - a system in which a large and growing percentage of the population has no medical insurance and/or is one serious illness away from bankruptcy.

The fact that the best-possible medical care is available in the U.S. is irrelevant when the AVERAGE medical care in the U.S. is among the worst of all first-world countries.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Good, hope you are first to be incarcerated.

^

What is hilarious is that people like this think that if a "public option" passes, it means free healthcare. Until UHC is on the table, you are going to be paying.

Why do I have a feeling you wont be able to afford the discount insurance either?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Are you saying they dont?

We have the most advanced medical staff/hospitals in the world. The problem is that our averages are brought down by the bottom of society.

We dont have the resources to provide that level of care to everyone, so we rank lower in international surveys.

We will never be a nordic Eutopia like some here think can happen. We share a border with an extremely poor country, and encourage the uneducated to migrate here.

I think it is about time we change it to "Give us your smart, your wealthy..."

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Are you saying they dont?

We have the most advanced medical staff/hospitals in the world. The problem is that our averages are brought down by the bottom of society.

We dont have the resources to provide that level of care to everyone, so we rank lower in international surveys.

We will never be a nordic Eutopia like some here think can happen. We share a border with an extremely poor country, and encourage the uneducated to migrate here.

I think it is about time we change it to "Give us your smart, your wealthy..."

Wow...just...wow. It's so easy to mock Americans when people like you are around.