NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 793 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
mhftummjh8i21.jpg

;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
What false impression leads you to believe that @Torn Mind ever goes to an actual competent doctor or would listen to/believe any advice they gave?

:oops:

Based on statements made in previous posts his credibility on this topic (healthcare & proper diet) is literally a negative number and his "advice" on taking care of oneself should be treated like it's "opposite-day" every day.
You just need the Cliffnotes:
I eat like a diabetic sans the finger pricking and the clearly obvious harmful-to-oral-health "allowed" foods. If I do eat pasta, it's about 2 oz of elbows or Rotini in a tiny saucepan instead of like before by cooking the whole box or half a box, and then eating a whole bowl with pasta sauce.

Also, my cholesterol was "better" when I was eating based solely on my personal likes and dislikes.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
A huge percentage of people have caught it and found it to be a bad cold, so why bother?

Just a guess, but sounds about right to me.

Well, I tested positive May 26th 2022, I had chills that shook me, my throat hurt like I had swallowed ground glass. I ran fevers, I developed a deep, hacking cough & had trouble breathing, my fatigue was so overwhelming I could barely get out of bed. I required at home physical therapy through July. Even now I am easily exhausted, I have trouble breathing & require Spiriva. I go for pulmonary function tests on Tuesday & meet my new pulmonologist in early February….Btw, I waited MONTHS for these appointments…the booking agent told me this was due to others like me, struggling to get over COVID damage….for a lot of us, it was far worse than “ a bad cold”

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
For now it seems like additional boosters don't provide much if any benefit for the younger/healthy population. Few got the bivalent which means many are now a year out or more from their last boost. I'm not sure how accurate the COVID death trackers are now, but assuming they're still being reported it seems like things have really settled down beyond ~March 2022. And since then we've had the "unboosted" BA5 and the XBB wave.

It may be the first true sign we are on the path to endemicity. But there's still the question of long-COVID moving forward - specifically whether or not people are coming down with it after reinfection. Aside from it being absolutely mind blowing to me that 20M people in the US alone may have some form of long-COVID: what's that number going to be a year from now after everyone has had COVID a second time (with most being unboosted)?

One thing may be for sure: since the general public is going to gamble, by Jan 2024 we should have a great idea on whether or not yearly boosters are really needed. But I also can't fault the public: the bivalents were rushed out without human trials and COVID still rapidly evolved to evade them. There's still there, "prevents severe illness" but then we just cycle back around to the original statement of prevents how much more, at this point? Seems little to nothing for the younger/healthy population.

Last edited:
Reactions: gill77

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm wondering if we will ever know exactly how many people died due to the pandemic?

Clearly a lot of countries, maybe all of them, have cut back on testing and being so assiduous about counting cases and deaths. And even the 'excess deaths' calculation (currently standing at between 16 and 27 million globally) is looking, in my inexpert judgement, increasingly-hard to interpret (because there are now other historically-unprecedented issues potentially causing them, such as the Ukraine war and the overloading of health systems partly due to COVID and partly due to economic problems, so how can anyone be sure what was really due to undiagnosed COVID?).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There's an article in today's online NYTimes about how people in America don't care sufficiently for those who are more vulnerable than they are to covid-19.

Here is a link to the story, which should get you through the paywall for 14 days, i.e. until Feb. 25, 2023:

This is a very very interesting comment to the article:

Masks: An Asthmatic's Love Affair After three, solid years of wearing a mask outdoors (2-layer quilter's cotton, with non-permeable mask layer sandwiched between them -- my wife is a sewist), allow me to relay this lived experience: I have reduced my intake of asthma medication by 95%. I was on two kinds of inhalers, and when I caught a cold, the inevitable bronchitis would necessitate antibiotics, oral steroids, etc. That is pretty much all gone now. And, here is the best part: my teenage son who inherited my lungs has experienced the same benefit. Talk about silver-linings. . . When people make a comment on my wife's beautiful masks she's made for me, I gamely reach into my pocket and pull out my inhaler and say, "the masks have helped me stopped using *this*". Then I take a large, audible breath and exhale completely, without a wheeze. The Lord works in mysterious ways, indeed. Stay safe, everyone, as best you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante and pmv

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Another variant - still not significant enough to move on to "Pi", though.

(Interesting choice of name - maybe they should have gone with the "Barbenheimer" variant?)

We know someone who just came down with it again, no idea what strain of course. Symptoms align with something we've experienced ourselves just recently too, but don't have any tests left.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
... there's still the question of long-COVID moving forward - specifically whether or not people are coming down with it after reinfection.
I believe the answer is that long-covid is a major thing after reinfection. It is also a thing after asymptomatic covid infection according to knowledgeable commenter Chrissy, to a New York Times article I read yesterday.

Commenter:

Chrissy
Brooklyn, NY

I highly recommend reading this article, but ESPECIALLY THE COMMENTS, ordered by Reader Picks!

Article title:

How Bad Is a Second (or Third or Fourth) Case of Covid?​

Reinfections are becoming more common. Experts are still unsure about how damaging they can be.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/well/live/covid-reinfection.html

Here's a link that gets you past the paywall for the next 14 days, i.e. until Sept. 1, 2023:

READ THIS Chrissy comment: ;)

Chrissy
Brooklyn, NY Aug. 17
I appreciate the call for more research on other post-viral problems, except that there's a much, much higher risk of serious complications post-COVID than after most viral infections. Your comment almost implies that COVID is comparable to all the other viruses out there so concern about it is some kind of media panic and it's not worth masking and taking other precautions against COVID. That's just not true: COVID infection is substantially more likely to cause substantially more serious aftereffects. It's different than other post-viral problems. What I see in so many people in my life is that their minds are just not where they were pre-2020 -- because COVID has been shown to infect the brain and cause cognitive problems for many years or possibly permanently. Plus so many people in my life suddenly have these heart problems and immune system problems they never had before -- again, tied to COVID in the research. It's hard to connect any individual problem to an individual COVID infection without clinically assessing that individual, and many of these problems start months after asymptomatic infections, so people don't connect their new problems with their prior COVID infection. But we know for a fact that at the macro level it is causing a huge upsurge in these problems -- unlike other post-viral problems.This article really minimizes the seriousness of those post-acute-COVID risks.

In Reply to Chrissy 39 Recommended

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
About 3-4 months ago (spring basically) there were a LOT of people getting sick down here in Arizona, with something that was exactly like COVID. Some people tested positive, but many weren't getting tested or telling people or something as there was basically nothing being done. Possibly there was some issue with the tests catching it. Basically all of my family except for me got it (I was of course the only one that got boosters for COVID - I'd gotten one in January maybe close to Feb), and one went to the ER (they got tested 3-4 times and one test was positive for COVID but the others weren't). Several people at work tested positive for it (and right about the time the company had rescinded its COVID time off policy meaning people either had to use their sick time or file for FMLA if they no longer had it; but if you didn't have sick time and didn't file FMLA they straight up said they didn't care if you tested positive for COVID you either come into work or get fired and of course a whole bunch of people got sick).

I believe the answer is that long-covid is a major thing after reinfection. It is also a thing after asymptomatic covid infection according to knowledgeable commenter Chrissy, to a New York Times article I read yesterday.

Commenter:

Chrissy
Brooklyn, NY

I highly recommend reading this article, but ESPECIALLY THE COMMENTS, ordered by Reader Picks!

Article title:

How Bad Is a Second (or Third or Fourth) Case of Covid?​

Reinfections are becoming more common. Experts are still unsure about how damaging they can be.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/well/live/covid-reinfection.html

Here's a link that gets you past the paywall for the next 14 days, i.e. until Sept. 1, 2023:

READ THIS Chrissy comment: ;)

Chrissy
Brooklyn, NY Aug. 17
I appreciate the call for more research on other post-viral problems, except that there's a much, much higher risk of serious complications post-COVID than after most viral infections. Your comment almost implies that COVID is comparable to all the other viruses out there so concern about it is some kind of media panic and it's not worth masking and taking other precautions against COVID. That's just not true: COVID infection is substantially more likely to cause substantially more serious aftereffects. It's different than other post-viral problems. What I see in so many people in my life is that their minds are just not where they were pre-2020 -- because COVID has been shown to infect the brain and cause cognitive problems for many years or possibly permanently. Plus so many people in my life suddenly have these heart problems and immune system problems they never had before -- again, tied to COVID in the research. It's hard to connect any individual problem to an individual COVID infection without clinically assessing that individual, and many of these problems start months after asymptomatic infections, so people don't connect their new problems with their prior COVID infection. But we know for a fact that at the macro level it is causing a huge upsurge in these problems -- unlike other post-viral problems.This article really minimizes the seriousness of those post-acute-COVID risks.

In Reply to Chrissy 39 Recommended

Based on the internal organ damage they were finding we're gonna end up with a lot of mysterious early deaths and the like. Unfortunately dumbshits are already trying to prescribe that to the vaccines and not the actual illness despite the ample evidence that shows that.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
About 3-4 months ago (spring basically) there were a LOT of people getting sick down here in Arizona, with something that was exactly like COVID. Some people tested positive, but many weren't getting tested or telling people or something as there was basically nothing being done. Possibly there was some issue with the tests catching it. Basically all of my family except for me got it (I was of course the only one that got boosters for COVID - I'd gotten one in January maybe close to Feb), and one went to the ER (they got tested 3-4 times and one test was positive for COVID but the others weren't). Several people at work tested positive for it (and right about the time the company had rescinded its COVID time off policy meaning people either had to use their sick time or file for FMLA if they no longer had it; but if you didn't have sick time and didn't file FMLA they straight up said they didn't care if you tested positive for COVID you either come into work or get fired and of course a whole bunch of people got sick).

Based on the internal organ damage they were finding we're gonna end up with a lot of mysterious early deaths and the like. Unfortunately dumbshits are already trying to prescribe that to the vaccines and not the actual illness despite the ample evidence that shows that.
Several people at work tested positive for it (and right about the time the company had rescinded its COVID time off policy meaning people either had to use their sick time or file for FMLA if they no longer had it; but if you didn't have sick time and didn't file FMLA they straight up said they didn't care if you tested positive for COVID you either come into work or get fired and of course a whole bunch of people got sick).

It shouldn't be legal to force you to either come into work when you're testing positive for covid or lose your job. That's brutal and absolutely scandalous. This country has a long way to go.

Reactions: DarthKyrie