NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 791 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
My partner specifically wanted Moderna when she was researching the initial one, so I've just stuck with that, even though it took a little extra effort to specifically seek out (we got our first shots together since we had to travel to another city for the first couple rounds).

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
My booster and bivalent were Moderna -- that top shelf, good good.

Our pediatrician actually recommended we wait until they got a batch of Moderna in for our son, just to ensure he got a phat dose.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
One of my cousins died of COVID last week. He refused treatment. I don't know if he was vaccinated. My local county went back to "high" transmission status and masking is being strongly recommended but not mandatory. Cases are climbing again across the state (Arizona).

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Covid 19 really is the gift that keeps on giving! :oops:

I don't wanna mask up again! :rolleyes: (but apparently it's coming)

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
One of my cousins died of COVID last week. He refused treatment. I don't know if he was vaccinated. My local county went back to "high" transmission status and masking is being strongly recommended but not mandatory. Cases are climbing again across the state (Arizona).

Wat

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I've fallen behind the times, I guess. If we had the initial vaccine (2 doses) plus two monovalent boosters, are we supposed to be getting the bivalent booster now?
Do you want Omicron protection or not? Do you want refreshed original variant protection or not? If you answered 'Yes' to one or more then get the bivalent booster. Here is the first (and so far only) published set of data on the vaccine effectiveness:
For example, if you are aged 50 to 64, with your reported 4 doses, and last had your last booster 4 to 5 months ago, then that table in the link shows a vaccine effectiveness of about 36% (95% confident level ranges from 29% to 43% effective). Note: 36% is small, but it is a lot more than 0% effective by doing nothing.

Mar 11, 2004

Interesting studies

Wow. Which wasn't there some evidence early on that COVID was wiping our immune system "database" which was going to make us more susceptible to other diseases? Which coupled with how the situation has increased anti-vaccination ideology, means lots of people are gonna need to be vaccinated for stuff again, and that's probably not gonna happen. And the ignorance is gonna lead to the people claiming the illness and death that results actually supports their ridiculous insane claims and not a result of their anti-vaccination behavior.

Reactions: KMFJD

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm not sure what's going on but I feel like my kid has been sick for the last 2 months off and on. She's pretty much sounded stuffy since school started and has woken up numerous times with sore throats and headaches. We've at home tested her each time and she comes back negative, gets better, then gets sick again.

Today she woke me up complaining of a bad s/t and even I had a bit of one. Head feels just kinda funky, not like a headache but almost like I have a stuffed up nose (but I don't) and I've been a bit nauseous for the last few hours. I took a rapid test on Monday because we've go 2 out in my immediate area, but i came back negative. Going to test again sometime today but I'm def. feeling "off".

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm not sure what's going on but I feel like my kid has been sick for the last 2 months off and on. She's pretty much sounded stuffy since school started and has woken up numerous times with sore throats and headaches. We've at home tested her each time and she comes back negative, gets better, then gets sick again.

Today she woke me up complaining of a bad s/t and even I had a bit of one. Head feels just kinda funky, not like a headache but almost like I have a stuffed up nose (but I don't) and I've been a bit nauseous for the last few hours. I took a rapid test on Monday because we've go 2 out in my immediate area, but i came back negative. Going to test again sometime today but I'm def. feeling "off".
Hope you and you kid get better quickly. Now that Omicron and its variants are almost identical in symptoms to so many other diseases, it is very hard to tell what you have based on the symptoms alone. You might want to look into a combined Covid / RSV / Influenza test. Many testing places have that as an option, but you'll probably have to ask for it. All three (plus colds + allergies) are rampant right now.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Wow. Which wasn't there some evidence early on that COVID was wiping our immune system "database" which was going to make us more susceptible to other diseases? Which coupled with how the situation has increased anti-vaccination ideology, means lots of people are gonna need to be vaccinated for stuff again, and that's probably not gonna happen. And the ignorance is gonna lead to the people claiming the illness and death that results actually supports their ridiculous insane claims and not a result of their anti-vaccination behavior.

I had COVID nearly 3 months ago and since then son has brought back one thing after the other from preschool. I've held up much better this year to these colds and than I did last year. It's actually pretty night and day thus far *knock on wood*.

Last year I was getting sick often - somewhere between 5-8 times, and sick harder on average too. One illness in particular lasted nearly 2 weeks. To the point I was wondering how it was even possible (and how it never COVID either). That was the first year I/we were getting exposed to a lot again.

I think a lot of people still have immune debt despite being out in public. I say this because prior to having a child I hardly ever got sick - maybe once a year? I've been sick more this year too lately, but aside from COVID it has been nothing more than the "usual" minor head colds that don't develop into anything more than sniffles. Leading me to believe that hopefully, I may be caught up on any immune debt thanks to daycare/preschool being a cesspool of germs.

So yeah, that's my hopeful theory on that.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
I'm not sure what's going on but I feel like my kid has been sick for the last 2 months off and on.

It's been like that for us since the end of September. It's stressful because our son has hyper reactive airways, so anytime he's sick we need to check on him periodically to make sure his breathing is fine. We've had to use a nebulizer two or three times already this fall.

I'm so tired of people sending their sick kids to school too. I'm ready to bring it up at the next PTA - I really don't care if other parents shun me or whatever. I can't give my kid a peanut butter sandwich because 1 in 50 kids are allergic, yet up to 1/3 young children have hyperactive airways and apparently its fine to send your kid to school with an active cough. **** I'm so tired of it.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The government is restarting the free covid tests at home program. Each family can order 4 tests at COVIDTests.gov starting today and shipping begins the week of Dec. 19,

Dec 10, 2005
The government is restarting the free covid tests at home program. Each family can order 4 tests at COVIDTests.gov starting today and shipping begins the week of Dec. 19,

Don't forget to look to your insurance provider too. I've been able to get 8 tests per person per month since the policy changed in January. I haven't done it every month, but it has got us a bunch of tests.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I ordered another batch now just to have some on-hand .... never even used most of the older ones though.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Don't forget to check the expiration dates of any you already have to see if they have been extended. The ones I have originally said use by 2022-8-19. That was extended to 2022-11-18 and is now 2023-02-20.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm pretty sure all but 2 of the tests I have leftover are now officially expired (or just about to) but since I have yet to dispose of them it's certainly worth a look.

I really should have written the revised EXP's on the boxes last time!