NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 792 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Covid 19 really is the gift that keeps on giving! :oops:

I don't wanna mask up again! :rolleyes: (but apparently it's coming)
I'm still N95 masking indoors, even outdoors because skating and bicycling my sinuses don't complain when masked like they do unmasked in colder weather.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had COVID nearly 3 months ago and since then son has brought back one thing after the other from preschool. I've held up much better this year to these colds and than I did last year. It's actually pretty night and day thus far *knock on wood*.

Last year I was getting sick often - somewhere between 5-8 times, and sick harder on average too. One illness in particular lasted nearly 2 weeks. To the point I was wondering how it was even possible (and how it never COVID either). That was the first year I/we were getting exposed to a lot again.

I think a lot of people still have immune debt despite being out in public. I say this because prior to having a child I hardly ever got sick - maybe once a year? I've been sick more this year too lately, but aside from COVID it has been nothing more than the "usual" minor head colds that don't develop into anything more than sniffles. Leading me to believe that hopefully, I may be caught up on any immune debt thanks to daycare/preschool being a cesspool of germs.

So yeah, that's my hopeful theory on that.
OMG, all those illnesses!!! My story:

Last time I have been knowingly sick was BEFORE the pandemic, i.e. in November, 2019 (my lifestyle has been pretty ultra-careful not to catch covid-19, and, of course, it's protected me from other pathogens). That pre-covid infection seemed like some virus, maybe flu (I always get a flu shot, though... except fall of 2020 when I didn't want to chance walking into a facility to get a flu shot).

I have had all available covid-19 vaccinations (all Moderna), i.e. 5 shots. I N95 mask indoors. By immunity debt, you mean not getting sick means your immunity is down? If that's true, I have a big target on my back, right?

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Popular comment at NY Times article on Covid right now:

Kathryn
NY, NYOct. 15
Getting my booster today. Planning on a slightly lousy day tomorrow. I got Covid in July, probably (masked) at a grocery store, and until the antiviral kicked in, I was mighty sick. That virus felt evil! I cannot imagine what it would have been like without the immunity my four vaccines had provided. I cannot recommend the antivirals enough! Those pills turned me around. People who are unvaccinated are foolish in the extreme. People who are un-boosted are playing with fire. Long-Covid sounds dreadful and can be life-altering. The percentage of Covid patients who end up with Long-Covid is a frighteningly high number. We are NOT done with Covid, no matter how much we want to wish it away. But the same careless, thoughtless, selfish people will pretend that Covid is “just a cold,” and continue to transmit it to vulnerable people. How a certain percentage of our citizens has behaved over the last three years is so disappointing. What ever happened to treating others as you wish to be treated?
16 Replies 921 Recommend

Reactions: Captante

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

looks like not accepting the western mrna vaccine is turning into a disaster for China

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Muse and Captante

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Just got my test strips in the mail today. That was kind of a dick move making the USPS deliver these when they already had their hands full with xmas deliveries. Also, mine were manufactured 02/26/2022 and expire in the three months 03/10/2023. They are quickvue brand and I don't see my lot number in the extended expiration date section.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

looks like not accepting the western mrna vaccine is turning into a disaster for China

I figure one thing's for sure, China is NOT about to attack Taiwan. The internal problems are overwhelming them.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hadn't heard of the XBB variant until seeing this. It's evidently accounting for 50% of the currently reported covid-19 cases in the north-eastern USA.

Dec 23 (Reuters) - The highly-contagious Omicron subvariant XBB has surged to more than 50% of COVID-19 cases in the northeastern United States and risks spreading fast as millions of Americans begin holiday travel on Friday.

In the week ended Dec. 24, XBB was estimated to account for 18.3% of the COVID-19 cases in the United States, up from 11.2% in the previous week, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday (CDC).

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
We're back up to 17.6% positivity in my county, and I figure probably testing itself is being done less often. Only 9% of hospital beds statewide being occupied by Covid-19 patients though, so that's something.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I will be getting the new booster on Saturday, I had COVID last May & Paxlovid saved my life. I was really tired for months & my COPD got really bad. I still get tired really easily & my oxygen levels go up & down. I COVID test regularly & wear an N95 whenever I go out for medical care.

This virus is serious stuff, trust me you don’t want it. The vaccines can lessen how sick you get if you catch Covid, frequent testing is important because you need to start Paxlovid within 5 days of getting symptoms and/ or testing positive

Reactions: Tsinni Dave

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've started masking again in stores and anyplace with lots of people.

Between Covid, the Flu, RSV and colds everyone is sniffling and I just don't see any downside to it at all.

Reactions: Tsinni Dave

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've started masking again in stores and anyplace with lots of people.

Between Covid, the Flu, RSV and colds everyone is sniffling and I just don't see any downside to it at all.
I have not stopped masking indoors with others since the start of the pandemic. It's not total when I do my radio show. I take it off on mic and if I don't have people in my proximity.

Reactions: snoopy7548

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I did stop masking up for quite awhile but I know 3 people locally who caught the flu in the last couple weeks and 1 who tested positive for Covid.

I didn't manage to completely avoid getting sick the last 2+ years by being stupid and you already know I don't care a lot about other folks approval.

Frankly I think moving forward masks will be a permanent part of my germ-avoidance plan every winter.

Reactions: Muse

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I don't seem to have gotten a verifiable re-infection since 2021.

Either I'm lucky as hell or the mix of dietary changes and supplementation, which has increased my D3 and C intake. I likely got my 2021 infection at a store, and I've still gone into grocery stores weekly or bi-weekly, so I should have gotten it again by now.

(Still haven't gotten any vax)

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

Either I'm lucky as hell or the mix of dietary changes and supplementation, which has increased my D3 and C intake. I likely got my 2021 infection at a store, and I've still gone into grocery stores weekly or bi-weekly, so I should have gotten it again by now.

I think you have to actually venture outside and be near (infected) people in order to get COVID...

• Haha

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Still haven't been sick since Nov. 2019. Went to a show tonight, N95 on. I thought I was the only person among 300 wearing a mask but after I while I saw quite a few others, over 20, maybe 10% wore a mask? A younger crowd largely and it's a good sized old fashioned movie theater converted to a music venue:

HIGH CEILING!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

You afraid of vax? More than covid? Incomprehensible.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You afraid of vax? More than covid? Incomprehensible.
I'm a mad scientist. I'm just seeing how long it'll take before it hits me again with the lifestyle+nutrition changes implemented after my last known confirmed infection. I've reached perhaps 90-95% of myself in Sept 2022.

I also do fall into the increased risk for myocarditis group. As the only legally competent individual in my family, and with no estate plan in place yet, I'm not in the mood for sudden expiration.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I think you have to actually venture outside and be near (infected) people in order to get COVID...
I did get COVID(alpha, I think) despite rarely going outside and with occupancy limitations in place in my locale. Might have been a Walmart or a Home Depot.

I also had a mystery illness that I suspect was the original COVID at the end of Nov 2019. I mentioned the symptoms before. Two weeks of just wanting to lay in bed and not bother thinking(or taking any calls), but not actually feeling anything acutely wrong despite the fog of fatigue. Never felt that way before or since, even during the confirmed alpha COVID case.

So, given my initial two cases of yearly susceptibility despite low frequency of going out...I should be getting some sort of infection soon, with the subtle effects of fatigue present. But I have not yet.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm a mad scientist. I'm just seeing how long it'll take before it hits me again with the lifestyle+nutrition changes implemented after my last known confirmed infection. I've reached perhaps 90-95% of myself in Sept 2022.

I also do fall into the increased risk for myocarditis group. As the only legally competent individual in my family, and with no estate plan in place yet, I'm not in the mood for sudden expiration.
So, you've had covid? Had some or NO Vax? Seems like myocarditis risk is < risk from covid... what does your non-mad-scientist competent doctor think? Assuming you're the best judge of what's medically advisable for you has been shown to be foolish a high percentage of the time.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I can’t speak for anyone else but my doctor let me know very clearly that my risk of heart issues or stroke were far worse from COVID than from the vaccines. He also said he worries that antivax folks are wearing people like me down. He advised me that as my PCP I would hopefully put my trust in him versus some random on Twitter.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I can’t speak for anyone else but my doctor let me know very clearly that my risk of heart issues or stroke were far worse from COVID than from the vaccines. He also said he worries that antivax folks are wearing people like me down. He advised me that as my PCP I would hopefully put my trust in him versus some random on Twitter.
I can't comprehend why the uptake on the Omicron booster's said to be at 15%. Even the elderly haven't bothered in most cases. I refuse to let my guard down until I have credible information that it's stupid to not do so.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I would say 30-40% of people around my area were masked when I was out doing stuff earlier today .... good news is that nobody around here so much as bats an eyelash either way anymore except in medical offices.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
what does your non-mad-scientist competent doctor think?

What false impression leads you to believe that @Torn Mind ever goes to an actual competent doctor or would listen to/believe any advice they gave?

:oops:

Based on statements made in previous posts his credibility on this topic (healthcare & proper diet) is literally a negative number and his "advice" on taking care of oneself should be treated like it's "opposite-day" every day.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So, you've had covid? Had some or NO Vax? Seems like myocarditis risk is < risk from covid... what does your non-mad-scientist competent doctor think? Assuming you're the best judge of what's medically advisable for you has been shown to be foolish a high percentage of the time.
Vax wasn't available at the time for my demographic in Feb 2021, but I still had to get things done. IIRC, I went to Home Depot to check out replacement shower faucets because someone damaged the original ones in a house. The shower faucet was damaged by excessive twisting and force by a malevolent resident; it was the "Colony" style of faucet made by American Standard.

Given my low-income status, the only thing the doc cares about is if anything is lab-abnormal.

After considerable introspection and review, I can safely say that for approximately 33 years, I was indeed nutritionally insufficient, even if not severely deficient, in:
1. Vitamin E. After looking at all the foods listed on NIH's website as common plentiful sources, I can say I ate basically none of them. So, the only plausible source would be the periodic times I bought protein drinks like Core Power or Muscle Milk
2. Vitamin C. Not a fruit or veg eater. And the times the veggies were eaten, they were heated, thus reducing the amount. Orange juice did enter the house, but it was not a favorite.
3. Vitamin D. A "cave dweller"(that was from Youtube channel DeadSoliderInc) of sorts, I did not get it from the sun and I hated fatty fish.
4. Omega-3s. As stated, I hated fatty fish and did not eat the plant-based type either.
5. The mix of nutrients in cheese, because I basically stopped eating after 5-6 years old due to a vomiting episode that occured after daily consumption of Mac and Cheese.
6. Lack of nutrients present in eggs, because the smell was disgusting and the taste repulsive for the typical factory farmed eggs.

All six have been corrected more or less:
1. I now routinely eat unsalted nut butter once a week or more
2. I eat a sampling of select foods with C, or supplement. Oranges, apples, berries, mollusks, the rare liver
3. Supplementation and some fatty fish like mackerel.
4. Fatty fish.
5. Still a struggle to eat cheeses, but I try.
6. Pasture-raised eggs have none of the repulsive flaws of factory farmed eggs.

Also, vegetable oil consumption did occur more than enough times due to mom's cooking or store-bought cooked cold food; I have no doubt the veggie oil was old and quietly spoiled, though not overtly rancid. The gamma-tocopherol would be associated with decreased lung function. Anything with vegetable oils have essentially been purged from my diet as well.

I may not match the clinical criteria for insulin resistance, but everything in my body has lower thresholds than the sampled people used to establish guidelines. Thus, though my OGTT may be within limits, they are right on the edge of the maximums provided by the lab. Maximums that may be based on people with much larger bodies and thresholds.

The recent news did have one that studied sudden deaths after vaccination in Germany. Performed autopsies on the cadevers. Some were eliminated for other cause unrelated, but a portion of the sample showed some physical features that suggests some bits of mRNA went into the heart tissue.

• Haha