NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 790 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I realize that we all have Covid overload. Thus, there is no need to read every headline on it that comes across. But to just stop paying attention altogether seems too premature.
I was paying LOTS of attention, but the last couple months nearly stopped. The article I posted the link to in the last post woke me up. I figure it's time to get a bead on what's going on. I have been going to some events lately and am contemplating others. I have a volunteer gig where I encounter people once a week. I want to know what's going on. TV news has been spotty to nonexistent lately. I figure articles and videos by knowledgeable and trusted sources (like those I used to watch) are a very good idea now. Winter's coming on, a surge is likely, where this is going nobody knows. Long covid is a big concern. I wear my N95's still, but can't all the time.

I'm 5 times Moderna covid vaxxed and have a senior flu shot from a few weeks ago, but other viruses are a bigger concern this winter (rhino viruses and others) than previous ones. I figure the minute I get home I should wash my hands!

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I got my bivalent and flu shot last weekend.

Holy shit -- that combo knocked me on my ass for 12hrs. Got the shots at 11am, was fine all day, 9pm rolls around and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Fever, tender skin. I hardly slept that night. By 9am I was completely fine, other than exhaustion from lack of sleep.

I got my booster and flu shot last year with zero side effects. This one packed a wallup!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Got my bivalent shot last Tuesday, went to a concert that night. Had a sore arm all day, and the next day, but that was it. Should get the flu shot next week.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
After last year I decided it might be a better idea to seperate my vaccines after discussing it with my doctor.

His reasoning was twofold.... first he said in his opinion it was too early to get the flu vaccine in mid-september and second that as a general rule it's smarter to get vaccines one at a time so if by some chance you have a reaction you'll know for sure which one caused it. Makes sense.

Got my new Covid booster roughly a month ago and just got my flu vaccine yesterday. Felt crappy for roughly 24 hours from Covid but only had slightly tender glands last night from influenza and am feeling 100% fine today. (although I slept longer than normal)

Reactions: manly and nakedfrog

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Got my bivalent and flu shot yesterday at 11:30am.

Arms were pretty sore last night but a tad tender still.

Felt like crap when I woke up with a headache but don't think a fever. Could have also been to a few whiskey's I had last night but it didn't feel like it was from the alcohol.

I feel fine now though aside from slightly tender shoulders.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
One of the previous boosters really killed my arm (like a bruise from getting punched there lol) but it was mainly because the nurse @ CVS jammed it in me like she was digging a hole for a fence-post!

:fearscream:

Interestingly with the most recent "bivalent" booster (Moderna) I literally didn't even feel the needle when it was administered BUT later my shoulder swelled slightly and got really sore/red.

Weeks later and there's still a small bump under my skin at the shot location although it's no longer tender at all.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I had COVID at the very end of May & got my 2nd booster August 12. I am scheduled for a mammogram on November 11. I will get my senior flu shot & the new booster right afterwards.

I am nervous waiting but I don’t want a false positive mammogram & the headaches that will go with that either.

Reactions: Muse and nakedfrog

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Just met up with a friend who got COVID last year. She has some mild long-COVID symptoms. The worst one is...chocolate now tastes like death to her. Immediate repulsion. No hot chocolate, no brownies, no chocolate-chip cookies, nothing. It's been over a YEAR now! Fortunately her taste & smell is normal for most things, but for a few very specific things, they just taste awful to her now. I can't imagine :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm a little surprised that you'd be scheduling one, given the advanced lung cancer you've spoken about before.
When my father-in-law had lung cancer, his doctors said to stop doing any other cancer screenings that aren't directly related to lung cancer. Why? Because the lung cancer is the cancer to treat. That is, he wouldn't go off lung cancer medication to treat something like colon cancer, so why bother going through the pain of a colonoscopy? That said, breast cancer may be different since it could be surgically treated without changing the lung cancer treatments. Either way: best of luck to @Geekbabe!

Reactions: Brainonska511

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I'm a little surprised that you'd be scheduling one, given the advanced lung cancer you've spoken about before.

Because every time I have a CT they find something new for me to worry about. Thinking about canceling as the CT showed macro calcifications which they have seen on prior CT’s are usually benign and normal in my age group.

Still, this is a new PCP for me & I don’t want to get a reputation for being non compliant

Dec 10, 2005
Because every time I have a CT they find something new for me to worry about. Thinking about canceling as the CT showed macro calcifications which they have seen on prior CT’s are usually benign and normal in my age group.

Still, this is a new PCP for me & I don’t want to get a reputation for being non compliant
That's fair. Just surprising the PCP would recommend it given current screening guidelines.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah I’m thinking early to mid November is the right time.
Got my bivalent Moderna Sept. 9. My family is hoping I'm coming (so they say, I haven't seen most of them in 3 years), and are waiting to hear my plans. I'm thinking I'm going to tell them I'm worried about the triple-epidemic that's developing (true). I got my senior flu shot one week after the bivalent covid booster. I don't trust that, you can't always trust a flu shot to do much for you and this year I figure they may not be on target. I hate being sick, I figure why chance traveling 450 miles by air, staying in a hotel two nights and going to two family gatherings. I have N95's, but hey... I am going to tell them I think there will be better vaccines next year, which is truthful.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Got my bivalent Moderna Sept. 9. My family is hoping I'm coming (so they say, I haven't seen most of them in 3 years), and are waiting to hear my plans. I'm thinking I'm going to tell them I'm worried about the triple-epidemic that's developing (true). I got my senior flu shot one week after the bivalent covid booster. I don't trust that, you can't always trust a flu shot to do much for you and this year I figure they may not be on target. I hate being sick, I figure why chance traveling 450 miles by air, staying in a hotel two nights and going to two family gatherings. I have N95's, but hey... I am going to tell them I think there will be better vaccines next year, which is truthful.

Do what is right for you but remember you only have so many next years in you.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I don't trust that, you can't always trust a flu shot to do much for you and this year I figure they may not be on target.
Actually this year, the flu shot seems to be on target. The flu vaccine protects against the dominant flu strain A(H3N2) that is circulating in the US. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7143a1.htm?s_cid=mm7143a1_x

You are correct that many other years they guess wrong about which strain will be circulating. But at least this time they guessed correctly.

Reactions: nakedfrog and Muse
Dec 10, 2005
Sort of dumb question, are all booster from Moderna and Pfizer now the bi-variant type?
Yes, the authorization to use the original shot as a booster has been withdrawn upon authorization of the bivalent boosters.

Feb 4, 2009

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Got my Pfizer bivalent shot and flu shot last night. Last time I got my booster I ended up getting a fever and body aches for 24 hours. This time around my arm is really sore and I feel like I was put in a boxing ring and was just pulverized. No fever though. I'm here at work but idk how long I'm gonna last here. At least it's over with.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Got my Pfizer bivalent shot and flu shot last night. Last time I got my booster I ended up getting a fever and body aches for 24 hours. This time around my arm is really sore and I feel like I was put in a boxing ring and was just pulverized. No fever though. I'm here at work but idk how long I'm gonna last here. At least it's over with.
The arm I got my flu shot in was pretty sore for a couple of days. I was able to sleep on the arm I got the bivalent shot in. I flet like I had a fever for 24 hours. It was my first time gettting Moderna and I haven't had a flu shot in ages.