NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 675 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I don't think 2 additional doses of another vaccine are really warranted. One additional dose should suffice, based on the available data.

Furthermore, the one shot vaccine was still pretty effective on its own in clinical trials and from real-world data. Maybe not as much if you want to play the dubious head-to-head comparison game and compare real-world data from different countries (which is quite confusing given different definitions used). The key metric for all vaccines and what they were tested for is keeping people alive and out of hospitals, which they all do quite well.
Good point, but do we have data pertaining to people switching from J&J to the other two vaccines yet? (clinical or real world) I would expect that even now, the J&J shot would be effective at reducing your risk of death, but maybe not offering as much protection if you were exposed to increased viral load.

The data my wife presented is showing that Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were showing 40-50% efficacy with only one shot. The vaccine I got was Moderna in March/April....I will get another Moderna shot due to its overall success. If I had J&J, I would definitely look at doing a full dose of the others. (my personal decision, since I've not seen the data)

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Good point, but do we have data pertaining to people switching from J&J to the other two vaccines yet? (clinical or real world) I would expect that even now, the J&J shot would be effective at reducing your risk of death, but maybe not offering as much protection if you were exposed to increased viral load.

The data my wife presented is showing that Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were showing 40-50% efficacy with only one shot. The vaccine I got was Moderna in March/April....I will get another Moderna shot due to its overall success. If I had J&J, I would definitely look at doing a full dose of the others. (my personal decision, since I've not seen the data)
There is some early data from a clinical trial, see question #4 here:

Dec 10, 2005

There is actually a large randomized trial of data for the one shot with J&J vs one shot of a placebo. It is not appropriate at all to assume that one shot with J&J will be similar to the limited data of one shot with one of the mRNA shots. And all these cross trial companions and differential real world data sets are kind of problematic: different study populations, different variants running around at the time of the studies, different countries, different definitions of key trial details...

There is some limited data for mixing and matching from an NIH trial, and I believe some real world evidence. There is also J&J's large 2-shot trial vs placebo for efficacy of 2 J&J shots.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
FDA panel that is going to vote on the 5-11 Pfizer shots is getting bogged down in equity questions which really isn't what they should be doing. Somebody said that not quite half of kids probably already had COVD so basically what's the rush. Which dovetails with my assumption that a lot of these people would rather every single kid in America get COVID instead of what seems to be a very safe vaccine because nobody will blame them for a virus.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Hearing those comments was fucking infuriating. They kept comparing myocarditis risk (which generally resolves itself) with death rates.

These are fucking doctors. Those two outcomes are not at all the same fucking thing. Way to be so fucking risk averse you compare a stubbed toe to a gunshot wound.

Fucking hell.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hearing those comments was fucking infuriating. They kept comparing myocarditis risk (which generally resolves itself) with death rates.

These are fucking doctors. Those two outcomes are not at all the same fucking thing. Way to be so fucking risk averse you compare a stubbed toe to a gunshot wound.

Fucking hell.
A lot of what's gone on in the pandemic isn't easily parsed by Joe/Jane Public. Discuss a side effect of a vaccine and they might decide, oh, not ready for prime time. Meanwhile they are at risk for a lifetime of problems if they catch covid-19, or a rather awful death.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Fucking hell.

The panel seems to think the covid threat to 5-11 isn't that high. I told ya they are going to be very cautious from now on. The threatened mandates aren't helping either, the panel doesn't want to be blamed if things blow up.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
FDA panel that is going to vote on the 5-11 Pfizer shots is getting bogged down in equity questions which really isn't what they should be doing. Somebody said that not quite half of kids probably already had COVD so basically what's the rush. Which dovetails with my assumption that a lot of these people would rather every single kid in America get COVID instead of what seems to be a very safe vaccine because nobody will blame them for a virus.
Yeah, I've decided I really hste medical ethics people. There is obviously a need for them, but they take things to the massive extreme. They'd rather passively watch a million die than a single person killed because a decision they made.

I really got fed up with them when reading about human challenge studies when they thought it was better to have 4K die everyday than risk hurting 100 people that volunteered to be tested.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Posted a few pages back that my daughter turned 12 and couldn't get her vaccine due to her dr. finding an irregularity with her heart. We have an appt in early Dec. with a cardiologist, but she's potentially been exposed. I take her and a good friend's son to school everyday, and the son's sister has tested positive yesterday. The son did a rapid test and came back negative, but he's waiting for the pcr results. However, my daughter is showing cold symptoms as of last night. She's got some stuffiness and a slight s/t and cough. We kept her home today but I might have to take her to get tested. I'm starting to give myself anxiety just thinking about it lol

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

One thing this whole event has highlighted to me is how cowardly leadership at all levels actually is. They want to collect their fat paychecks and then outsource the blame down the chain. I already know how they would all handle the trolley problem.

Reactions: Zorba

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Posted a few pages back that my daughter turned 12 and couldn't get her vaccine due to her dr. finding an irregularity with her heart. We have an appt in early Dec. with a cardiologist, but she's potentially been exposed. I take her and a good friend's son to school everyday, and the son's sister has tested positive yesterday. The son did a rapid test and came back negative, but he's waiting for the pcr results. However, my daughter is showing cold symptoms as of last night. She's got some stuffiness and a slight s/t and cough. We kept her home today but I might have to take her to get tested. I'm starting to give myself anxiety just thinking about it lol

Don't panic .... her odds of being fine even with her heart issue @ 12 years old are still pretty darn good. Be sure to take extra precautions with yourself and your wife since statistically you're both at far greater risk of a bad outcome. (and don't beat yourself up .... its not your fault)

Note its also possible despite the exposure that its not Covid ... my younger daughter (the one who had mild Covid back in the Spring) had the sniffles last week and it turned out to actually BE a cold!

First things first... get her tested asap.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
One thing this whole event has highlighted to me is how cowardly leadership at all levels actually is. They want to collect their fat paychecks and then outsource the blame down the chain. I already know how they would all handle the trolley problem.
It's like this in the corporate world too. Butt kissers and smooth talkers get promoted, none of them have the backbone to make a real decision.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Remember unvaccinated kids (at least less than 12) have a lower risk than vaccinated adults of any age.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
My kids have been home like half the school year so far due to exposures or colds. Both of them are home right now with the second cold, still awaiting a negative test for my eldest who got the cold last. The fact they keep getting colds from school does not make me feel like the measures they are taking are much protection.

Reactions: Captante

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
My kids have been home like half the school year so far due to exposures or colds. Both of them are home right now with the second cold, still awaiting a negative test for my eldest who got the cold last. The fact they keep getting colds from school does not make me feel like the measures they are taking are much protection.

Pretty much. My thinking: if people are getting cold or flus in a given environment, that means the anti-COVID safety measures aren't strong enough. Those illnesses transmitted far less when everyone was sheltering at home; they shouldn't be spreading much if everyone is wearing masks and keeping their distance.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Sadly the cold virus in particular just LOVES infecting humans and has become super-efficient at doing so. Factor in slobby kids with mostly unwashed hands in a school and its like hanging out in a giant used petri-dish! (I swear I was sick 75% of the time when my kids were young)

I've come to the decision that masking up during cold/flu season is a wise move from now on Covid be damned. As I've said before I for one have enjoyed NOT being sick for almost 2 years and at least part of that was due to wearing a mask in public.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Lots of stuff going around right now. My oldest niece has covid. My other niece had flu type b, my nephew has covid and my sister has a cold. When they tested my sister they tested for covid, strep and the flu (I think).

FWIW I was born with a bad aortic valve. They found a murmur at 6 months. At age 5 they repaired my valve and at age 15 they replaced it with an artificial valve and that was back in 1986. At 16 I got my drivers license and my first job. Kids are very resilient and stronger than you could imagine.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

Is their school mandating masks? My kids have been illness free so far this whole year (went back half time late last year, full time in April). Everyone has been wearing masks.