NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 669 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Where are you getting this completely wrong information from? PCR testing routinely returns results in under 24 hours, and there are less accurate rapid tests that return results in 15 minutes.
The speed of the actual test is one thing, but there is the administrative handling too. From what I hear from people getting a test it can take a few days to weeks before they hear anything. If more workplaces start requiring it it will put a backlog on the system too.

Dec 10, 2005
The speed of the actual test is one thing, but there is the administrative handling too. From what I hear from people getting a test it can take a few days to weeks before they hear anything. If more workplaces start requiring it it will put a backlog on the system too.
I know people being tested weekly as part of their job or school. Thousands of people being tested weekly. Test results get delivered in <24 hours. We have the technology and the logistics.

COVID tests delivered after a few are totally useless and would just be a waste of money. Anyone paying for COVID tests that take >2 days to deliver results is a moron.

Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Actually I was curious and it looks like they do offer rapid testing here now, but you have to pay for it. Not really sure what the turn around is for those. The standard tests are still nasal swabs and think those need to be sent down south to a lab.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Where are you getting this completely wrong information from? PCR testing routinely returns results in under 24 hours, and there are less accurate rapid tests that return results in 15 minutes.

I'm not crying over their alleged loss of freedom here. Getting vaccinated isn't only about them. It is also about protecting the rest of society.
I'm with you 100%, but just saw this. If you live in Alabama (or many other regions of red states) you might be proud of how you're not onboard the we're in this together idea.
106931702-1629727932180-gettyimages-1335429061-a16i8908_8bd610d3-c723-4d09-b2ae-42f3ace7486f.jpeg

Bama boy.

Heard on ABC network news tonight that 30% of Republicans say they won't get vaxxed compared to 4% of Democrats. Funny that after Warp Speed was under a Republican adminstration.

Why these anti-vaxxers equate the vaccines to government shenanigans I don't get. They were developed by private companies. The government regulates vaccines, medications, etc. It's the way things have to be. They don't understand that there are legitimate functions of government. If there weren't, there wouldn't be any governments at all. However, governments have existed consistently for thousands of years.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm with you 100%, but just saw this. If you live in Alabama (or many other regions of red states) you might be proud of how you're not onboard the we're in this together idea.
106931702-1629727932180-gettyimages-1335429061-a16i8908_8bd610d3-c723-4d09-b2ae-42f3ace7486f.jpeg

Bama boy.

Heard on ABC network news tonight that 30% of Republicans say they won't get vaxxed compared to 4% of Democrats. Funny that after Warp Speed was under a Republican adminstration.

Why these anti-vaxxers equate the vaccines to government shenanigans I don't get. They were developed by private companies. The government regulates vaccines, medications, etc. It's the way things have to be. They don't understand that there are legitimate functions of government. If there weren't, there wouldn't be any governments at all.
These people are easy to grift, so grifters grift them. Once you get someone to ignore reality in one part of their life, it is quite easy to get them to ignore it in other parts too.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

Wow, I was just bitching about how our tests seem to have slowed down because they are overloaded and take a few days sometimes. They used to be 24 hour turn around.

Making people pay for the tests and having them only get results in weeks just sends all the wrong signals. Might as well shut down the whole testing apparatus if that is the best they can do because everyone is just going to decide to skip the test.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Wow, I was just bitching about how our tests seem to have slowed down because they are overloaded and take a few days sometimes. They used to be 24 hour turn around.

Making people pay for the tests and having them only get results in weeks just sends all the wrong signals. Might as well shut down the whole testing apparatus if that is the best they can do because everyone is just going to decide to skip the test.
I got tested for free a couple weeks ago, they did the rapid and PCR at the same time. Got my rapid result in 5 minutes and the PCR within 48 hours.

Reactions: Muse

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
There are a few guys i work with i've heard saying they'll never take Biden's vaccine. I mentioned the above to them before but now I just don't even bother saying anything to them when things like this come up.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There are a few guys i work with i've heard saying they'll never take Biden's vaccine. I mentioned the above to them before but now I just don't even bother saying anything to them when things like this come up.
The blinders are already on. Here's the song:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The blinders are already on

And I've had folks here question my cynical view of America. :rolleyes:

To call them "morons" would be kind. :mad:

*(referring to "Big Boy" & their retarded fans here)

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Daughter turned 12 on Tuesday. Took her to her dr for a normal annual checkup and to get the vaccine if available. Her dr found some irregularities in her heart and wants her to see a cardiologist now. So no vaccine for her until they figure out what's going on considering the myocarditis stuff. She was so excited to get it and now she has to wait a while longer, but I'm glad it was caught. Just waiting to here from a cardiologist for an appt.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Daughter turned 12 on Tuesday. Took her to her dr for a normal annual checkup and to get the vaccine if available. Her dr found some irregularities in her heart and wants her to see a cardiologist now. So no vaccine for her until they figure out what's going on considering the myocarditis stuff. She was so excited to get it and now she has to wait a while longer, but I'm glad it was caught. Just waiting to here from a cardiologist for an appt.
I'm sorry to hear that. Did her doctor do an EKG, or just listen to it?

Reactions: Muse

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm sorry to hear that. Did her doctor do an EKG, or just listen to it?

I'm not sure, my wife took her in. Don't think she did an EKG. She put in the referral for a cardiologist so we're just waiting on a call to schedule an appt with him/her. I'll definitely be there for that appt. This last one was supposed to just be a routine annual.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm not sure, my wife took her in. Don't think she did an EKG. She put in the referral for a cardiologist so we're just waiting on a call to schedule an appt with him/her. I'll definitely be there for that appt. This last one was supposed to just be a routine annual.

Don't worry too much unless the cardiologist tells you to do so... especially if all the pediatrician did was listen with her/her stethoscope to diagnose a problem.

I'm sure she'll be fine.... I wish MY heart was only 12 years old!

:)

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I've had several EKGs, I always think they are fun. You should talk them up to your daughter so she'll be excited about it instead of scared. I do always think it is funny that it is about 10 minutes of setup, for about 1 minute or less of testing.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Don't worry too much unless the cardiologist tells you to do so... especially if all the pediatrician did was listen with her/her stethoscope to diagnose a problem.

I'm sure she'll be fine.... I wish MY heart was only 12 years old!

:)

Thanks yea I'm not too worried about it for now. More bummed she can't get the vaccine. She's the only 1 in the house not vaxxed yet. I told her she'll still have to wear a mask but it's just an added measure.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I know it's old news that the official death figures are an undercount (and the real global total is probably between 10 and 20 million), but this goes into a bit more detail about it.

Particularly the issue that some countries just can't test enough, but some are probably deliberately massaging the data. Not a surprise that Turkey and Russia are among those being less-than-forthcoming about what's really happening.

Still seems that it's not quite as bad as 1918, once you allow for increased global population.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I guess they're not as strict as I figured about enforcing the vaccine passport, went to Tim Horton's today and they didn't even ask for it. Meanwhile there is another Tim Horton's where they threw out a long term customer that was there every morning because he forgot his papers. Weird how this stuff is so sporadic. I think the official mandate is Oct 22 though, that's when we have to install the app and so do businesses so they can scan it. Still not 100% sure how that will work, I kind of hope there will be an alternative to the app like a static QR code you can just print. IMO they should just make it a photo ID so you only need to carry one thing. Guessing this is what this will lead to but I hate that they are making it an app. Just make it a card.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
3768400e2112e4ca7f0417eef7ba29bb.jpg

At least you couldn't lose it! ;)

Honestly give it 10-20 years I won't be surprised if they'll be pushing something that goes on the body. Bar code using invisible ink that the scanner can still pickup (nobody will want an actual visible one) or RFID implant maybe. I don't think they'll hide it, they're not going to try to trick people into something like some of the conspiracies say. They'll be upfront about it and it will be optional at first, and the sheep will just follow. "It's just a chip oh well. I have nothing to hide. It's so convenient!". Any public place you go you just scan your hand at the door and the guard lets you in if it goes green. It will be faster than having to pull out your phone or whatever ID system they have at that point. Will double as a way to pay too. When they bring out the interac machine you just scan your hand in front of it.