NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 668 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Have to admit this is kind of sad.

S2O2naj.jpg

There's probably going to be psychological effects of this long term. Kids not really getting to see each other's or their teacher's faces etc.
It's true. My two nieces of 5 and 9 are actually serial killers already

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
So how's this for a kick in the ass... i have 3 close relatives with breakthrough covid. For one of them it's their 2nd go-around with covid. Had it back in January before vaccines were out.
Luckily nothing too severe so far... we'll see.
My parents & i seemed to have missed it or just never showed any symptoms. I was advised to not even bother to try to get tested unless i felt i had symptoms as there a much greater chance of being exposed there. 10 days have passed now since i was near any of them so i figure i'm in the clear now.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Portugal's Vaccination Report was published today:

View attachment 50812

- top left --- people with @ least one dose
- top right --- people fully vaccinated: includes people with just one dose that had a previous COVID infection as well as people that took the single dose vaccine
- middle left --- age groups
- middle center --- @ least one dose: people and percentage
- middle right --- fully vaccinated: people and percentage
- bottom left --- doses the country has received
- bottom right --- doses the country has administered

@ 1st we had a politician in charge of the vaccination but ... shall we say ... stuff happened ... and he was replaced by a rear admiral, and this man rose to the occasion and did a FANTASTIC JOB, despite Portugal having to wait for vaccines on several occasions, or he would have done an even better job. Pictured in the link below is the rear admiral i referred to.

Portugal is number ONE in the World of people fully vaccinated: https://www.euronews.com/2021/09/23/portugal-has-the-highest-covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-the-world

I'm honestly quite shocked by this!!!

Portugal’s health care system was on the verge of collapse. Hospitals in the capital, Lisbon, were overflowing and authorities were asking people to treat themselves at home. In the last week of January, nearly 2,000 people died as the virus spread.

The country’s vaccine program was in a shambles, so the government turned to Vice Adm. Henrique Gouveia e Melo, a former submarine squadron commander, to right the ship.

Eight months later, Portugal is among the world’s leaders in vaccinations, with roughly 86% of its population of 10.3 million fully vaccinated. About 98% of all of those eligible for vaccines — meaning anyone over 12 — have been fully vaccinated, Gouveia e Melo said.

So I guess the lesson is -put a submarine captain in charge of your public health efforts. Or maybe that's being a bit too specific?

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

So I guess the lesson is -put a submarine captain in charge of your public health efforts. Or maybe that's being a bit too specific?

This vice Adm. is an expert in logistics so he was well suited for the job because vaccinating TWICE (depending on the vaccine used) roughly 90% of the country's population is a logistical nightmare.

From the link you posted:

With a background working on complicated logistical challenges in the military, he was named in February to lead the national vaccination task force.

Standing 6 feet, 3 inches, the admiral made it a point to wear only his combat uniform in his many public and television appearances as he sought to essentially draft the nation into one collective pandemic-fighting force.

“The first thing is to make this thing a war,” Gouveia e Melo said in an interview, recalling how he approached the job. “I use not only the language of war, but military language.”

[...]

In a submarine, the admiral said, you are in a slow ship trying to catch faster ships.

“You have to position yourself and be smart about how to do it,” he said, “and seize the opportunity when it arrives.”

In July, Gouveia e Melo seized such an opportunity.

Protesters were blocking the entrance to a vaccination center in Lisbon, so he donned his combat uniform and went there with no security detail.

“I went through these crazy people,” he said. “They started to call me ‘murderer, murderer.’”

As the television cameras rolled, the admiral calmly stood his ground.

“I said the murderer is the virus,” Gouveia e Melo recalled. The true killer, he said, would be people who live like it is the 13th century without any notion of reality.

“I attempted to communicate in a very true and honest way about all doubts and problems,” he said.

But not everybody welcomed his approach.

“We don’t really have a culture of questioning authorities,” said Laura Sanches, a clinical psychologist who has criticized Portugal’s mass vaccination rollout as too militaristic and called for it to exclude younger people.

“And the way he always presented himself in camouflage army suits — as if he was fighting a war — together with the language used by the media and the politicians, has contributed to a feeling of fear that also makes us more prone to obey and not question,” she said.

Still, the public messaging campaign — including an aggressive television and media blitz — made steady progress.

“In the beginning, we had some 40% who were unsure,” Gouveia e Melo said. Now, according to polls, he said, only 2.2% do not want the vaccine.

My sister knows a local doctor that REFUSED the vaccine, so we too have them vaccine deniers, doctors included.

However, this concerns me:

Screenshot from 2021-10-04 15-53-12.png

This risk matrix tells our current number of people infected per 100K people over a 14 day period. While this number has been steadily dropping and is for the 1st time in a LONG TIME below 100, our R(t) number has increased from 0.83 10 days ago to 0.91, and that's BEFORE the restrictions lifting enter the picture (since October 1st): i fear we'll get beyond 1.0 again, meaning our case numbers will skyrocket yet again.

We'll know for sure in roughly 2 weeks time ... fingers crossed ...

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
This risk matrix tells our current number of people infected per 100K people over a 14 day period. While this number has been steadily dropping and is for the 1st time in a LONG TIME below 100, our R(t) number has increased from 0.83 10 days ago to 0.91, and that's BEFORE the restrictions lifting enter the picture (since October 1st): i fear we'll get beyond 1.0 again, meaning our case numbers will skyrocket yet again.

We'll know for sure in roughly 2 weeks time ... fingers crossed ...
Right....I think everyone is there right now. We're all wondering if the case count drops are going to drop or shoot back up. Last year it was Halloween + Thanksgiving that led to the huge increase around Christmas. The case counts were highest by the end of December.

I'm hopeful the cases drop off so the hospitals have time to regroup and stockpile supplies if another surge happens within 3-4 months from the nonvaccinated.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Right....I think everyone is there right now. We're all wondering if the case count drops are going to drop or shoot back up. Last year it was Halloween + Thanksgiving that led to the huge increase around Christmas. The case counts were highest by the end of December.

I'm hopeful the cases drop off so the hospitals have time to regroup and stockpile supplies if another surge happens within 3-4 months from the nonvaccinated.

Here, our Government lifted restrictions for Christmas Eve and New Year's eve with disastrous consequences. In the last week of January alone, over 2K people died from the virus: that's the equivalent of over 64K deaths IN A SINGLE WEEK, when roughly scaling to USA's population.

Feb 4, 2009

Yeah, I was worried about back to school and cooler weather driving us inside however Massachusetts has a high vaccination rate and everything seems okay now. Not perfect but good enough.
I agree Halloween to thanksgiving is the next big test. As a State we are around 75% vaccinated. I suspect all will continue to be okay. However I am not positive.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah, I was worried about back to school and cooler weather driving us inside however Massachusetts has a high vaccination rate and everything seems okay now. Not perfect but good enough.
I agree Halloween to thanksgiving is the next big test. As a State we are around 75% vaccinated. I suspect all will continue to be okay. However I am not positive.
The problem we have here is that the numbers are bad, but the news has gotten so good at reporting how bad it is that it's not scary anymore. It was back to school that appeared to drive the caseload here in August/September with more parents/grandparents being infected from students that spread it around after school started. The kids that get it still seem to do very well with it. Our area hospitalizations are in the 300 range with 100 ICU cases and only 3-5 child hospitalizations. (down from 10)

Reactions: Fanatical Meat
Feb 4, 2009
The problem we have here is that the numbers are bad, but the news has gotten so good at reporting how bad it is that it's not scary anymore. It was back to school that appeared to drive the caseload here in August/September with more parents/grandparents being infected from students that spread it around after school started. The kids that get it still seem to do very well with it. Our area hospitalizations are in the 300 range with 100 ICU cases and only 3-5 child hospitalizations. (down from 10)

Yeah my buddies 2 and maybe 3 daughters got it and they all recovered quickly with a few days of being very sick. I think he put it as the girls got sick quicker and had more pain than he and his wife did but the girls recovered much faster as in days vs their weeks before feeling normal again.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not sure why the face clothing is such an issue when the chest clothing is seen aa required.

Covering chest is not the same as covering face. Humans were meant to see each other's faces as it's part of social interaction to see things like facial expressions etc. You take that away starting early at life, I imagine that could some long term effects psychologically. Or maybe not. This is something I'm sure that will get studied over the years once this has been the norm for a decade or so as there will be more data.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Covering chest is not the same as covering face. Humans were meant to see each other's faces as it's part of social interaction to see things like facial expressions etc. You take that away starting early at life, I imagine that could some long term effects psychologically. Or maybe not. This is something I'm sure that will get studied over the years once this has been the norm for a decade or so as there will be more data.
Good things parents don't wear masks at home. Or any kids younger than 2.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's not really folding, it's being forced. People need to have a job to survive. If your job is being threatened you pretty much have no choice to do what they say.

My company seems to have change their tune after the backlash though, they are now saying that it's mandatory BUT not that you will be fired, but rather need to use more precautions if you don't take it. They'll require that you work from home and if you can't there will be twice a week testing that will be required. Considering it can take like several weeks to get results for a test not sure how that will work though. I think most people will just keep working from home.

We're suppose to start coming back in the office in November but on a voluntary basis. I imagine most of us will keep working from home since why go in if you don't have to.

Dec 10, 2005
Considering it can take like several weeks to get results for a test not sure how that will work though.
Where are you getting this completely wrong information from? PCR testing routinely returns results in under 24 hours, and there are less accurate rapid tests that return results in 15 minutes.

It's not really folding, it's being forced. People need to have a job to survive. If your job is being threatened you pretty much have no choice to do what they say.
I'm not crying over their alleged loss of freedom here. Getting vaccinated isn't only about them. It is also about protecting the rest of society.

• Love
Reactions: uclaLabrat and Muse

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Not a shock but most people fold when presented with the option of loosing their job or getting vaccinated. Mandates are effective policy.
Vaccine does given have doubled in the last week, but they still aren't much higher than back when the federal mandate was announced. The interesting thing to me is that the federal mandate isn't actually yet in effect. OSHA hasn't finalized the rules (and congress is working on changing them anyways with the stimulus bill so what OSHA decides might not even take effect). As for the military, the mandate isn't until Dec 15, 2021.

Thus, much of the increase in vaccinations is due to company or state mandates. Or maybe it is just the fear of an upcoming mandate.