NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 664 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's insane to be celebrating people losing their jobs over this. Society has gone mad.
Dude, I've lost many jobs without deserving to have lost them. I have zero sympathy for someone losing their job because they refuse to not be an asshole. Get a clue.

• Love
Reactions: Zorba

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Dude, I've lost many jobs without deserving to have lost them. I have zero sympathy for someone losing their job because they refuse to not be an asshole. Get a clue.

And that makes you a complete asshole for wishing harm on someone. People need to feed their families and themselves. Not everyone is comfortable taking a vaccine that is less than a year old and should not be threatened with their decision not to. Some just want to wait. Their body their choice. Medical decisions that affect ones body should be up to each individual not to government or employers and their decision should be respected because that's the decent thing to do. In fact this whole thing of having to disclose medical history is absurd, I don't get how it's even legal. What next, they'll want a list of every medication we take? It's not going to just stop, they'll keep pushing for more mandates and more requirements. Give them an inch they take a mile.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
And that makes you a complete asshole for wishing harm on someone. People need to feed their families and themselves. Not everyone is comfortable taking a vaccine that is less than a year old and should not be threatened with their decision not to. Some just want to wait. Their body their choice. Medical decisions that affect ones body should be up to each individual not to government or employers and their decision should be respected because that's the decent thing to do. In fact this whole thing of having to disclose medical history is absurd, I don't get how it's even legal. What next, they'll want a list of every medication we take? It's not going to just stop, they'll keep pushing for more mandates and more requirements. Give them an inch they take a mile.

Vaccine mandates have been around for a long time. At some point we are all in this society together. Getting and spreading around a virus that can overload hospital systems, denying people care that don't have the virus and denying people the ability to go out and function normally, is an assault on everyone else's rights.

If the government goes beyond vaccine mandates, I'll be the first in line to protest. Until then, it's just fear mongering nonsense.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You can be one retrogressive asshole, and your statement there proves it way beyond any doubt.

Vaccine mandates are nothing new, get a clue.

Did I say I wished "harm" on anyone?

I have never done ANYTHING in my life that would contribute to ANYONE being fired. I don't complain to managers about a bad employee. If I think they aren't doing their job right, I figure maybe they'll get fired, but I'm personally not going to be part of it. Who's the asshole here?

I said I have no sympathy for them if they refuse to consider other people's welfare in their voluntary personal decisions, the consequence being that they get fired.

Worst pandemic in at least 100 years and continuing to rage and threatening to get worse, who knows how much worse. Over 700,000 confirmed dead from it in the USA and over 1,000,000 being a highly reasonable estimate. Life made miserable for workers in the healthcare system, which is becoming depleted because nobody in their right mind would want to deal with the stress/strain. The only effective means we have to stanch it is immunity and the only way to humanely get there is high vaccination rates. The unvaccinated are a threat to all of us. They are ruining medical care in many regions, fucking up the economy, making life difficult for others. Their decisions to not get vaccinated are 90+% of the time irrational, based on erroneous "information" if any. They bare some responsibility to cut through the bullshit and do what's right. GET A FUCKING CLUE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and Geekbabe

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Someone clarify this for me:
This booster is only for those that got 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine, correct? And you should be staying with Pfizer for the booster, correct?

Correct.

Less important, is the booster the same dose as the 1st 2 or a different amount?

Pfizer booster dose is exactly the same as the first two Pfizer doses.

My parents wanted to get the booster. 99% sure they had Pfizer but didn't looks at their vax cards. Anyway, the other day my sister tells my dad the yes, their doctor wants them to get the booster, so just stop by any drug store & you can get it. I tell them last i heard the local drug stores were only carrying Moderna & J&J. That may have changed since i heard it but i'm not sure.

Might have to hunt around just a little for who has inventory. I quickly scoped out Walgreens an CVS here. Some stores have a little and some stores have a lot.

I told my dad to make sure he talked to his doctor & ask about that. Not sure if we should be mixing doses or if whoever at the drug store would bring that up and just give out whatever they were carrying.

Guidance so far is not to mix, though people are. UK followed some AZ (very similar to J&J vaccine) shots with Pfizer. It is highly unlikely to be hazardous but US regulators don't have enough data to say definitively it's "ok". NIH has mixing studies in the works so we'll get something sooner or later.

Also, when the local news has been talking about boosters i noticed they never mention Pfizer or any brand. They just keep saying boosters are now available to 65+ etc.

Pfizer is approved for this so far. Though Moderna and J&J likely to follow in the coming weeks.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
In fact this whole thing of having to disclose medical history is absurd, I don't get how it's even legal.
What medical history? Other than if you're vaccinated for this particular disease. A highly contagious disease.
We usually get our yearly flu vaccine at work. Kinda hard to hide who is/isn't vaccinated for that.
Maybe i'm in the minority but i don't care who knows my vaccination history.

It's been a long time but, at least in the US, didn't are parents have to show kids were vaccinated for whatever to get into school? I was 5 yrs old i don't remember & i had no say in it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Correct.

Might have to hunt around just a little for who has inventory. I quickly scoped out Walgreens an CVS here. Some stores have a little and some stores have a lot.

Guidance so far is not to mix, though people are. UK followed some AZ (very similar to J&J vaccine) shots with Pfizer. It is highly unlikely to be hazardous but US regulators don't have enough data to say definitively it's "ok". NIH has mixing studies in the works so we'll get something sooner or later.

Pfizer is approved for this so far. Though Moderna and J&J likely to follow in the coming weeks.
Yeah, it's really not that complicated, but they keep saying on the news that it's "confusing." It's not confusing. It's confusing if you aren't informed or you are mentally deficient. The situation is actually quite clear with respect to the booster approval thing, and K1052 explained it right there.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
You can be one retrogressive asshole, and your statement there proves it way beyond any doubt.

Vaccine mandates are nothing new, get a clue.

Did I say I wished "harm" on anyone?

I have never done ANYTHING in my life that would contribute to ANYONE being fired. I don't complain to managers about a bad employee. If I think they aren't doing their job right, I figure maybe they'll get fired, but I'm personally not going to be part of it. Who's the asshole here?

I said I have no sympathy for them if they refuse to consider other people's welfare in their voluntary personal decisions, the consequence being that they get fired.

Worst pandemic in at least 100 years and continuing to rage and threatening to get worse, who knows how much worse. Over 700,000 confirmed dead from it in the USA and over 1,000,000 being a highly reasonable estimate. Life made miserable for workers in the healthcare system, which is becoming depleted because nobody in their right mind would want to deal with the stress/strain. The only effective means we have to stanch it is immunity and the only way to humanely get there is high vaccination rates. The unvaccinated are a threat to all of us. They are ruining medical care in many regions, fucking up the economy, making life difficult for others. Their decisions to not get vaccinated are 90+% of the time irrational, based on erroneous "information" if any. They bare some responsibility to cut through the bullshit and do what's right. GET A FUCKING CLUE.

I am a cancer patient, given an ADA job accommodation to work as a front desk receptionist. Not only am I fully vaccinated I have also had a booster shot. I don’t harbor ill will towards anyone & certainly don’t want to see people lose their jobs.

OTOH, where is that same care and concern for me & my family? Nobody seems to care that there aren’t any funds available for people like me to stay at home & be able to pay rent & feed our families. I know the vaccines aren’t perfect but it would help not having to look at a coworker & wonder “ is this person unvaccinated?”

I go to work and go for cancer treatment….. I haven’t been to a store, restaurant or any social gatherings since March 2020. I haven’t seen my relatives, I haven’t traveled. I get yelled at regularly by pepole who don’t want to wear masks and become enraged when asked to please show even a pic on their phone of their vaccination cards so they can go visit an elderly person on one of the units.

I am tired, burnt out, I cry sometimes in the restroom because some people are so nasty to me. I don’t make the rules. Take your concerns up with your elected officials and the CDC, not me please. I have enough on my plate.

Reactions: dingster1 and Muse

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
What medical history? Other than if you're vaccinated for this particular disease. A highly contagious disease.
We usually get our yearly flu vaccine at work. Kinda hard to hide who is/isn't vaccinated for that.
Maybe i'm in the minority but i don't care who knows my vaccination history.

It's been a long time but, at least in the US, didn't are parents have to show kids were vaccinated for whatever to get into school? I was 5 yrs old i don't remember & i had no say in it.

Our vaccine status is shown on our work badges, both for Covid & the Flu. I am glad to provide patients, visitors & coworkers with that bit of knowledge, it’s not a problem for me at all.

Reactions: dingster1 and Muse

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Our vaccine status is shown on our work badges, both for Covid & the Flu. I am glad to provide patients, visitors & coworkers with that bit of knowledge, it’s not a problem for me at all.

Print some stickers that says "There is no vaccine against stupidity"

Reactions: dingster1

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Correct.

I got my first Pfizer shot when they were first released & my second in Jan of 2021, I went with Pfizer for my booster shot on 8/31. They advised that I could get Moderna if it was all that was available to me but the hospital offered Pfizer boosters to the first wave of vaccinated employees so I gladly took it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I got my first Pfizer shot when they were first released & my second in Jan of 2021, I went with Pfizer for my booster shot on 8/31. They advised that I could get Moderna if it was all that was available to me but the hospital offered Pfizer boosters to the first wave of vaccinated employees so I gladly took it.

Realistically the likelihood of there being any issue mixing Pfizer/BNT & Moderna (or J&J) shots is really really low. FDA doesn't want to say that without hard pretty definitive evidence in hand so some advice might diverge from official guidance depending on the situation. Vulnerable people not boosting if they can't match manufacturer certainly seems, to me, like a higher risk proposition than mixing.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Realistically the likelihood of there being any issue mixing Pfizer/BNT & Moderna (or J&J) shots is really really low. FDA doesn't want to say that without hard pretty definitive evidence in hand so some advice might diverge from official guidance depending on the situation. Vulnerable people not boosting if they can't match manufacturer certainly seems, to me, like a higher risk proposition than mixing.

very true! My employer was offering Pfizer on site, no extra driving needed, just a walk down the hall so I gladly got it

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One reason I haven't been thinking get a Pfizer booster (although I'm 1&2 vaxxed with Moderna) is I figure it would look weird on my vax card, where it says what I'm vaxxed with, batch number and date. I'm not antsy, I figure in a few weeks they'll authorize Moderna booster.

I think I even heard info that it might be advantageous to get a booster from different manufacturer than your original shot(s). But that's not the way they are promoting boosters officially. I figure it's no big deal either way.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Just like making full use of the "right" to free speech can still result in a VERY unpleasant outcome, actions that adults have the right to take can as well.

I'm sorry but unless a person eligible for the vaccine has a LEGITIMATE MEDICAL reason to not get vaccinated (which are few and far between!) I have no sympathy whatsoever myself about them losing a job.

If you choose to not get vaccinated that IS your right, however its also societies right to not allow you to interact with anyone potentially vulnerable.

Reactions: Muse

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Will Booster shots be the next mandate?

I'm vaccinated and ready to just get Covid and be done with this shit. Its ineviteble we will all get this at some point based on the Breakthrough cases which are adding up in our circle of associates, coworkers, and friends. Many of these folks are not even getting tested and just toughing it out for 48-72hrs of illness.

Seems like natural immunity post vaccine is the way to go.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm vaccinated and ready to just get Covid and be done with this shit

What could possibly go wrong?? :confused:

images

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just like making full use of the "right" to free speech can still result in a VERY unpleasant outcome, actions that adults have the right to take can as well.

I'm sorry but unless a person eligible for the vaccine has a LEGITIMATE MEDICAL reason to not get vaccinated (which are few and far between!) I have no sympathy whatsoever myself about them losing a job.

If you choose to not get vaccinated that IS your right, however its also societies right to not allow you to interact with anyone potentially vulnerable.

The issue is what is valid to one person might not be for the other. For example someone that has heart issues in the family may not want the vaccine after hearing that you can get heart complications from it. Or someone that often gets really bad reactions to vaccines may not want to go through that. I ended up chancing it myself and got it, but I will respect anyone that does not want to. There are actually way more people than I thought at my workplace, and they are all level headed people who have been with the company for decades, it's insane for them to be fired over something like this.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Will Booster shots be the next mandate?

I'm vaccinated and ready to just get Covid and be done with this shit. Its ineviteble we will all get this at some point based on the Breakthrough cases which are adding up in our circle of associates, coworkers, and friends. Many of these folks are not even getting tested and just toughing it out for 48-72hrs of illness.

Seems like natural immunity post vaccine is the way to go.

Yeah people need to start understanding this virus is here to stay, we can't just keep adding new mandates and undermining people's freedoms and liberties just to slightly lower numbers and we absolutely should not accept removal of said freedoms and liberties just for a bit of extra safety. They won't stop as long as there is at least 1 covid case.

When the vaccine deadline starts to hit at workplaces and half the workforce ends up on the street this is going to cause WAY more problems than a few extra ICU cases.

Personally I trust the vaccine works and I am not afraid of anyone unvaccinated. I do think companies should allow people to keep working from home though and make special arrangement for vulnerable people who can't, to be able to, even if it's switching roles. Those who are extra scared of virus or are more vulnerable or that can't take the vaccine should still have rights to better safety, but it should not involve completely transforming the way society works like they're doing.

Reactions: gill77

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
What could possibly go wrong?? :confused:

If you are immune-compromised or have other co-morbidities that require you to live in a bubble - then do that. I'm following the science that says I've been vaccinated, my chances of becoming hospitalized or dying is so low that driving is riskier!

CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

Norway -

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Squirrel

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The issue is what is valid to one person might not be for the other. For example someone that has heart issues in the family may not want the vaccine after hearing that you can get heart complications from it. Or someone that often gets really bad reactions to vaccines may not want to go through that. I ended up chancing it myself and got it, but I will respect anyone that does not want to. There are actually way more people than I thought at my workplace, and they are all level headed people who have been with the company for decades, it's insane for them to be fired over something like this.

No, the refusers are simply and totally wrong.

Reactions: Captante