NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 663 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
E_qGpIOXsAA7C4X

I look at that and wonder if it's satirical. It evidently is, but a lot of people wouldn't notice the bit about the funeral home. They could have added notice of a 15% discount for covid victims. Or maybe they weren't being satirical???

Confirmed, this was an anti-vaccine affair:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
E_qGpIOXsAA7C4X

I look at that and wonder if it's satirical. It evidently is, but a lot of people wouldn't notice the bit about the funeral home. They could have added notice of a 15% discount for covid victims. Or maybe they weren't being satirical???

Confirmed, this was an anti-vaccine affair:

Not sure if you said what you meant to say? Headline:
A funeral truck in North Carolina sported the slogan 'don't get vaccinated' in what turned out to be an ad agency's pro-vaccination stunt

Reactions: Muse

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Manager is a fucking clown.

"About 30 minutes in, our waitress comes over and she sits down next to me and she's like, 'Hey, so our manager is over there in the kitchen, and he is not as nice as I am so I came over here to talk to you and unfortunately, this is a political thing, but our manager does not believe in the mask. He's tired of being told what to do by, you know, politics in the country, and so you're going to need to take the mask off," Wester said.

Maybe they should do a full health inspection, who knows what else the manager doesn't believe in, like proper sanitation etc.

Edit: I have never worked in the food industry, but maybe having employees where masks while they prepare your food should be the way forward as well.

I would have been seriously tempted to loudly tell the manager to go fvck himself and that if he wanted me to leave he would need to call the police to have me "trespassed" (and hopefully assaulted) so I could sue the living daylights out of them.

Couldn't risk it with the baby in tow though. :confused:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Kaizer Chiefs promoting clean hands

Learned that by the age of 4 myself ... guess he's a little slow on the uptake?

;)

And some GOOD news for a change .... Connecticut daily Covid-19 positivity-rate is down to 2.15% per the daily change update email from the Governor.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Learned that by the age of 4 myself ... guess he's a little slow on the uptake?

;)

And some GOOD news for a change .... Connecticut daily Covid-19 positivity-rate is down to 2.15% per the daily change update email from the Governor.
Yeah, the state Covid-19 web dashboard in New Hampshire shows a significant down tick in the 7 day moving average of positive cases. Good to see. Also, there has been a small uptick in the total vaccinated graph which, sadly, had become flat.

Reactions: Captante

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
FYI - I read an article that Pfizer has seen positive results in the kids vaccines @ 1/3 the dose. It's expected that they'll apply for emergency use of the vaccine for 5-11 year olds by the end of this month. I'm hopeful they can get the data in the hands of the FDA and push this through quickly before Halloween. (at least to give a percentage of kids a shot of some protection)

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
FYI - I read an article that Pfizer has seen positive results in the kids vaccines @ 1/3 the dose. It's expected that they'll apply for emergency use of the vaccine for 5-11 year olds by the end of this month. I'm hopeful they can get the data in the hands of the FDA and push this through quickly before Halloween. (at least to give a percentage of kids a shot of some protection)
Saw this reported on OTA TV network news (NBC) a couple days ago.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Saw this reported on OTA TV network news (NBC) a couple days ago.
That should be a game changer for a lot of communities. I totally agree with some teachers saying that masks in the classroom simply don't work. Kids aren't vigilant enough to keep them on 100% of the time....BUT, any percentage of protection is something. Also, kids passing each other in packed hallways would allow covid to pass more readily between classrooms if the siblings in schools didn't cause more community spread.

In many cases, my wife was seeing parents of kids that contracted covid from school back in August. Now, the cases in my area are widespread enough that they can't pin it on school alone.

Last year, my local region was hit the hardest with COVID cases after Halloween. It spiked nationally around this time too. What's concerning about this is that we're already in the midst of a spike....so for the non-vaccinated, they better buckle up for November/December if the numbers don't hit critical mass and start to drop.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
...What's concerning about this is that we're already in the midst of a spike....so for the non-vaccinated, they better buckle up for November/December if the numbers don't hit critical mass and start to drop.

That's assuming they (anti-vaxxers) don't start protesting the government imposing their tyranny via seatbelt mandates.

• Haha
Reactions: manly

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Natural immunity to covid is powerful. Policymakers seem afraid to say so.

The incorrect hypothesis that natural immunity is unreliable has resulted in the loss of thousands of American lives, avoidable vaccine complications, and damaged the credibility of public health officials. Given the recent mandate announcement by the White House, it would be good for our public health leaders to show humility by acknowledging that the hypothesis they repeatedly trumpeted was not only wrong, but it may be harmful. Let’s all come together around the mounting body of scientific literature and real-world clinical experience that is telling us not to require the full vaccine regimen in people who recovered from covid in the past. Public health officials changing their position on natural immunity, after so much hostility toward the idea, would go a long way in rebuilding the public trust.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/09/15/natural-immunity-vaccine-mandate/
Looks like U.S. deaths have crossed the 700,000 threshold. Still losing 1,500+ lives a day.

Wonder how many of those are unvaccinated v. vaccinated but high risk? I ask because I'd like to know, as a percentage, how much sympathy I should feel for that 1500/day.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Wonder how many of those are unvaccinated v. vaccinated but high risk? I ask because I'd like to know, as a percentage, how much sympathy I should feel for that 1500/day.
It does depend on location since healthcare resources, underlying health conditions, and populations vary so much from location to location. But, overall vaccinated people are 0.5% to 5.5% of all Covid deaths. Taking a roughly middle point assumption of 3% gives roughly 45 vaccinated deaths per day in the US.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had an interesting union meeting yesterday. We mostly discussed our company's new vaccine mandate. They want everyone vaccinated by Oct31. The union said they will do their best to be with anyone who does not want the vaccine but that law wise there may not be much that can be done. They basically need to set up a case and hope for the best, if one case wins it sets a precedent for the rest. But if it loses it's probably game over. They also forced us to declare that we are vaccinated via a form and discussed the legality of that as well. For me personally as much as I am against this whole forcing thing it's not a battle I'm willing to fight and potentially lose given I'm vaccinated so I just filled the form anyway, but it will be interesting to see where this goes. From sounds of it a lot of people don't actually want the vaccine in the company but I think the reality is there is not much legal that can be done to stop the company forcing it.

At the end of the day though I think the company will get their way and this will be a way to shed a lot of employees. They tend to do mass layoffs every couple years and it's been a while since the last one.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Looks like U.S. deaths have crossed the 700,000 threshold. Still losing 1,500+ lives a day.
My local area hospitals have received assistance from the National Guard for staffing and we're seeing about 10+ of those deaths per day. Sadly, the deaths are still behind the pace of hospital admissions, so deaths are expected to only increase from here. The local numbers are 93% cases are unvaxxed people with 96% of the hospitalized are unvaxxed and roughly 99% on ventilators are unvaxxed.

Crazy that people can be that stupid. Even worse are the idiots listening to the right-wing agenda news. They can clearly read statistics but still make comments like, "I'm not seeing more obituaries in the paper than usual. This is just scare tactics."

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Had an interesting union meeting yesterday. We mostly discussed our company's new vaccine mandate. They want everyone vaccinated by Oct31. The union said they will do their best to be with anyone who does not want the vaccine but that law wise there may not be much that can be done. They basically need to set up a case and hope for the best, if one case wins it sets a precedent for the rest. But if it loses it's probably game over. They also forced us to declare that we are vaccinated via a form and discussed the legality of that as well.
The legality has been tested multiple times in the US, each time the supreme court has said that yes, it is legal to force vaccinations. Here is what I think the first case was in 1905: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts
And yes, it is legal in the US for companies to know about vaccination status.

I don't know about Canada though.

Dec 10, 2005
Had an interesting union meeting yesterday. We mostly discussed our company's new vaccine mandate. They want everyone vaccinated by Oct31. The union said they will do their best to be with anyone who does not want the vaccine but that law wise there may not be much that can be done. They basically need to set up a case and hope for the best, if one case wins it sets a precedent for the rest. But if it loses it's probably game over. They also forced us to declare that we are vaccinated via a form and discussed the legality of that as well. For me personally as much as I am against this whole forcing thing it's not a battle I'm willing to fight and potentially lose given I'm vaccinated so I just filled the form anyway, but it will be interesting to see where this goes. From sounds of it a lot of people don't actually want the vaccine in the company but I think the reality is there is not much legal that can be done to stop the company forcing it.

At the end of the day though I think the company will get their way and this will be a way to shed a lot of employees. They tend to do mass layoffs every couple years and it's been a while since the last one.
Governments are forcing the issue because many people have shown they aren't responsible enough to play nicely with others in the sandbox.

Reactions: Zorba

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The legality has been tested multiple times in the US, each time the supreme court has said that yes, it is legal to force vaccinations. Here is what I think the first case was in 1905: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts
And yes, it is legal in the US for companies to know about vaccination status.

I don't know about Canada though.

Yeah I think it will basically go over the same way here too.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

If I ran a business I'd be very happy to shed the conspiracy theorists. I know management at my company is glad to be getting rid of some nuts.

Reactions: Muse

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
There seems to be a lot of mixed messages over this with the FDA & CDC the last few days.

Someone clarify this for me:
This booster is only for those that got 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine, correct? And you should be staying with Pfizer for the booster, correct?

Less important, is the booster the same dose as the 1st 2 or a different amount?

I ask because i'm hearing a few things here lately.
My parents wanted to get the booster. 99% sure they had Pfizer but didn't looks at their vax cards. Anyway, the other day my sister tells my dad the yes, their doctor wants them to get the booster, so just stop by any drug store & you can get it. I tell them last i heard the local drug stores were only carrying Moderna & J&J. That may have changed since i heard it but i'm not sure.
I told my dad to make sure he talked to his doctor & ask about that. Not sure if we should be mixing doses or if whoever at the drug store would bring that up and just give out whatever they were carrying.

Also, when the local news has been talking about boosters i noticed they never mention Pfizer or any brand. They just keep saying boosters are now available to 65+ etc.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Smart way of getting rid of the idiots, IMO.
If I ran a business I'd be very happy to shed the conspiracy theorists. I know management at my company is glad to be getting rid of some nuts.
I rest my case.