NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 661 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was SO HAPPY when I discovered that I was suddenly eligible for my first jab to find that it WAS Moderna, because I figured it was a better bet than Pfizer. My reasoning was that the less stringent refrigeration requirements suggested it was more apt to do the job. Other than that it was rated at 94% while Pfizer was 94.5% IIRC effective, the difference seemingly negligible statistically. I figure a Moderna booster makes more sense than a Pfizer booster. ;)

If the first shot offered me was Pfizer I wouldn't have hesitated, however.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Other than that it was rated at 94% while Pfizer was 94.5% IIRC effective, the difference seemingly negligible statistically.
We really need to stop doing this. You can't compare across clinical trials like that, especially when they may measure their efficacy differently and have differing patient populations.

It also sends the wrong messages about the vaccines. Even now, the best vaccine is any that had EUA or is approved, since they all worked (relative to placebo controls) to keep people not dead and out of the hospital.

If anyone ever runs a well setup head to head trial of the vaccines, feel free to go ham on those comparative results.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I was SO HAPPY when I discovered that I was suddenly eligible for my first jab to find that it WAS Moderna, because I figured it was a better bet than Pfizer. My reasoning was that the less stringent refrigeration requirements suggested it was more apt to do the job. Other than that it was rated at 94% while Pfizer was 94.5% IIRC effective, the difference seemingly negligible statistically. I figure a Moderna booster makes more sense than a Pfizer booster. ;)

1632055096213.png

• Haha
Reactions: Muse and Captante

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
We really need to stop doing this. You can't compare across clinical trials like that, especially when they may measure their efficacy differently and have differing patient populations.

It also sends the wrong messages about the vaccines. Even now, the best vaccine is any that had EUA or is approved, since they all worked (relative to placebo controls) to keep people not dead and out of the hospital.

If anyone ever runs a well setup head to head trial of the vaccines, feel free to go ham on those comparative results.

I got Pfizer and honestly was thrilled ! I was in the first wave of the vaccinated December 21 & January 11. Got my booster shot on 08/31 which was also Pfizer. I felt grateful and privileged to be able to get this protection so quickly. Round 2 & 3 kicked my rump, I can only imagine what Moderna would have done to me.

Husband and son got Moderna later when they were eligible husband felt lousy afterward, son had a sore arm and fatigue. All of us were thrilled to be vaccinated !

Reactions: Meghan54
Dec 10, 2005
I got Pfizer and honestly was thrilled ! I was in the first wave of the vaccinated December 21 & January 11. Got my booster shot on 08/31 which was also Pfizer. I felt grateful and privileged to be able to get this protection so quickly. Round 2 & 3 kicked my rump, I can only imagine what Moderna would have done to me.

Husband and son got Moderna later when they were eligible husband felt lousy afterward, son had a sore arm and fatigue. All of us were thrilled to be vaccinated !
Honestly was happy to get any vaccine. When I was eligible in early April, the day I went, I had one choice: J&J or reschedule for another day (the site did not know in advance what they would give out on each day). The data for J&J has been fine. The side effects were kind of annoying: modest fever for a night, and some fatigue, but that can happen with nearly any vaccine.

For me, a young and relatively healthy adult, being one and done was great, if only for the convenience. And for that reason, and others this shot continues to be an important component of the vaccination program, despite the little recognition that it gets relative to Pfizer's and Moderna's offerings.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Either mRNA shot is fine far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't get the J&J myself at this point unless it was the only option.

I was given Moderna for the first round ... felt crappy after shot #1 but had very few side effects from #2 beyond a sore arm.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Either mRNA shot is fine far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't get the J&J myself at this point unless it was the only option.

I was given Moderna for the first round ... felt crappy after shot #1 but had very few side effects from #2 beyond a sore arm.
Before I get a booster, which one has mmWave 5G for best throughput?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Was with some family today. One is a partner in a pretty big law firm in Jersey. They are really wanting people back at the office a few days a week. It's not just management, a good amount of employees want to have a hybrid setup. The pure zoom life is not for a bunch of folks, and it's just not as efficient or interesting for a lot of their work

Who would have thunk it. A species very invested in three dimensional interactions is not all suited to just two dimensional land.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Before I get a booster, which one has mmWave 5G for best throughput?

QJpkOwf.jpeg

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Was with some family today. One is a partner in a pretty big law firm in Jersey. They are really wanting people back at the office a few days a week. It's not just management, a good amount of employees want to have a hybrid setup. The pure zoom life is not for a bunch of folks, and it's just not as efficient or interesting for a lot of their work

Who would have thunk it. A species very invested in three dimensional interactions is not all suited to just two dimensional land.

That's what augmented reality and VR are for though :sunglasses:

Reactions: Zorba

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
We passed the 1918 Spanish Flu death toll:

So here are my current thoughts:

1. I was somewhat vaccine-hesitant due to negative past experiences in this arena & with no-long term testing, which is what bit me personally in the past

2. But, given the choice of either taking a vaccine (very safe test results on huge amounts of people) or getting COVID (maybe you survive, maybe you don't, maybe you get Long COVID), I chose what I consider to be the lesser of two evils

3. I'm also very open to shifting my position as we get new data as time goes on. Given the amount of data at this point, I think the vaccine can essentially be called a "cure". Yes, people still get COVID with it. Yes, people still die from it even when they are vaccinated. However, being unvaccinated is currently 11x the death rate of vaccinated people. Choosing not to take it at this point is effectively saying no to a readily-available, free cure at this point.

I understand why people don't want to take it, and I understand the pushback against masks, as we've flip-flopped over the summer between "wear two masks" and "you don't need a mask anymore" to "just kidding wear it again please". Personally, I always like to err on the side of caution when things are questionable, so I'd rather wear the mask than not, particularly as the data is showing that masks, when combined with other safety methods such as social distancing, getting vaccinated, washing your hands, using sanitizer, etc. go a LONG way to slowing & stopping the spread of COVID.

However, the vaccinate rate in the United States is just over 55% as of today, and this is in a time when the vaccination is freely available at any corner drugstore. I'd imagine that number will go up over time, but not by huge amounts. I suspect winter is going to whack us with the numbers again, particularly with the holidays & get-togethers. Thus, I think COVID is going to be with us at least well into next year, unfortunately.

1632170370470.png

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
That was the biggest factor for my partner, and I didn't have any preferences, but given it was easier to just book our appointments together, I followed her lead.

Reactions: Muse

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
To be a little fair, roughly 12% of the population isn't eligible yet. Although they are likely to have very low uptake rate.
I assume that when the 5-11 year olds become eligible that their antivax parents won't let them get it. Similar to the numbers that i know personally of teens that "say" they don't want it when their antivax parents say they leave the decision up to the kids. Of coarse most of those are going to go along with their parents views.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I assume that when the 5-11 year olds become eligible that their antivax parents won't let them get it. Similar to the numbers that i know personally of teens that "say" they don't want it when their antivax parents say they leave the decision up to the kids. Of coarse most of those are going to go along with their parents views.
I used to get most of my vaccinations from my father, an M.D., and an educated man who would bring the vaccines home (from the hospital, I assumed) and put them in the refrigerator. When he came at us with a syringe, we submitted willfully, always. He wore the pants in the house and took no nonsense. He was the first of the family to become a physician, starting a tradition. One needs the fingers of both hands to count them all now. I can't imagine that anyone eligible in our family isn't covid vaxxed.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
E_qGpIOXsAA7C4X

I look at that and wonder if it's satirical. It evidently is, but a lot of people wouldn't notice the bit about the funeral home. They could have added notice of a 15% discount for covid victims. Or maybe they weren't being satirical???