NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 650 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It's more than about a virus at this point. With the vaccine being available and effective this should be over but they keep it going. Now it's all about enforcing the vaccine passports and forcing people to install a government app on their devices otherwise they can't participate in society or even buy food or get a job. Basically a trial version of the mark of the beast. It's coming.
You've really got to get off the conspiracy websites. I promise the government has been able to track you all they want for 2 decades.

We are still in this because people are talking about the mark of the beast instead of getting vaccinated and following simple guidelines.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You've really got to get off the conspiracy websites. I promise the government has been able to track you all they want for 2 decades.

We are still in this because people are talking about the mark of the beast instead of getting vaccinated and following simple guidelines.
He was one of the idiots that bought into the "Plandemic" video, and believes in some spoooooky version of the UN'S 2030 agenda.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
He was one of the idiots that bought into the "Plandemic" video, and believes in some spoooooky version of the UN'S 2030 agenda.

Apparently I missed that little gem? :confused:

I recall reading something related to the term "Plandemic" but I don't believe it was here .... could be mistaken.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Apparently I missed that little gem? :confused:

I recall reading something related to the term "Plandemic" but I don't believe it was here .... could be mistaken.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

I'm just observing what I see and drawing conclusions. The conspiracies tend to be far fetched like trying to say there's a 5G chip in the vaccine etc which is ridiculous. The vaccine is fine, and is serving it's purpose of protecting those who have it. Where I draw the line is the vaccine passports. All that does is serves to segregate people, as well as make restrictions just for the sake of restrictions based on having to take some arbitrary action (installing an app) just because the government says so. I don't care(well I do, I just can't do anything about it) how many ways they can track me I don't want YET ANOTHER way to be forced on me. I've seriously been considering ditching the smart phone, just can't seem to find much options on dumb phones. But if this really goes through it will basically force everyone to own one. Grandma who is happy with her Radio Shack land line and can barely figure out the VCR is now going to be forced to have a $900+ phone just to be able to do groceries. This is what this is going to lead to and it's ridiculous.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm just observing what I see and drawing conclusions. The conspiracies tend to be far fetched like trying to say there's a 5G chip in the vaccine etc which is ridiculous. The vaccine is fine, and is serving it's purpose of protecting those who have it. Where I draw the line is the vaccine passports. All that does is serves to segregate people, as well as make restrictions just for the sake of restrictions based on having to take some arbitrary action (installing an app) just because the government says so. I don't care(well I do, I just can't do anything about it) how many ways they can track me I don't want YET ANOTHER way to be forced on me. I've seriously been considering ditching the smart phone, just can't seem to find much options on dumb phones. But if this really goes through it will basically force everyone to own one. Grandma who is happy with her Radio Shack land line and can barely figure out the VCR is now going to be forced to have a $900+ phone just to be able to do groceries. This is what this is going to lead to and it's ridiculous.
I agree I don't like the app based passports, should be a card or endorsement on ID.

But if everyone just got the vaccine you wouldn't be a passport. Passports are an antivaxer self fulfilling prophecy.

Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Like one world governments, but you seem to buy into that just fine.

That's pretty much what the UN and WEF want and what globalism is all about. Agenda 2030, great reset etc. Most major governments are pushing for it. Trudeau even admitted it in a speech that the pandemic is a great "opportunity" for the great reset. Lots of corruption going on in the background that we can't deny.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Where I draw the line is the vaccine passports ... restrictions based on having to take some arbitrary action (installing an app) just because the government says so. I don't care(well I do, I just can't do anything about it) how many ways they can track me I don't want YET ANOTHER way to be forced on me. ... Grandma who is happy with her Radio Shack land line and can barely figure out the VCR is now going to be forced to have a $900+ phone just to be able to do groceries.
My understanding is that (in Ontario) govt app is only needed to verify QR code, so only businesses/service providers would need it, and normal people can still print it on paper if they want. Or a PDF on the phone - ok, you need pdf reader app I guess, but it's not govt app.
I'd be ok with that. And businesses could have non-personal tablets/phones for that.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That's pretty much what the UN and WEF want and what globalism is all about. Agenda 2030, great reset etc. Most major governments are pushing for it. Trudeau even admitted it in a speech that the pandemic is a great "opportunity" for the great reset. Lots of corruption going on in the background that we can't deny.
Of course it is. When Social Security has fewer people to pay, that's less stress on the government's finances. COVID was making all the governments smile at first, because it happened to kill the ones who have already borne children and put their labor into the system. But then it was a little too good at taking people out in that age group, since politicians, judges, and senior bureaucracy are also "old" and they wanted to live a little longer. Once vaccination is good enough in the first world, the folks who still get affected or killed by COVID will be remembered solely in private, just like drunk driving cadavers.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My understanding is that (in Ontario) govt app is only needed to verify QR code, so only businesses/service providers would need it, and normal people can still print it on paper if they want. Or a PDF on the phone - ok, you need pdf reader app I guess, but it's not govt app.
I'd be ok with that. And businesses could have non-personal tablets/phones for that.

If that's the case that's not as bad as I figured then. If I can just use any app I want or even just a piece of paper to show an image or whatever then that's not as bad as a specific app. The way I'm reading it though is that after a certain date you'll be required to install the app and the paper version is temporary but maybe that's not the case.

Either way still bad for businesses though since now they are forced to deal with this or go out of business or get fined. Small businesses may not be able to afford this extra overhead.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The U.S. reported over 200,000 new cases yesterday and over 1,900 deaths...

At this pace, it seems like 100k new deaths by Dec is a low estimate?
I don't follow that stuff much because it's macabre, and what happens will just be the results of millions of individual decisions.

The New York Times did have an article recently about where delta could be heading in the U.S.:

I find all the discussion of the UK showing delta spikes hard, but burns out fast to be fanciful optimism. Many people have said this in recent weeks to suggest that good times will return to the U.S. soon enough. The UK's death curve has been manageable because they've done a great job of vaccinating the elderly. The U.S.'s death rate isn't quite as low because our vaccination patterns vary dramatically regionally. The deep South in particular is not well protected at all.

One crazy part of the article is that delta burned so white hot in India that it appears to have faded quickly. It wasn't explained clearly, but the article stated that antibody testing in India showed 67% had already been infected by July. This is crazy high, and I imagine it was probably for some particularly hard-hit area than across the entire country.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
So 18 months into this. Testing still hard to get, results taking days to come back, no at home testing available at stores.

Not sure why we completely disassembled our testing infrastructure in the spring. Really we should do drive through testing for all the normal stuff too, like flu, strep, and rsv.

So I utilized my State's, Arizona, Department of Health website, and found not only clinics, but pharmacies that partnered with DHS to provide testing services, free of charge. Even where my parents lived, which is out in the middle of no where, there was a free clinic that did testing. I've been tested twice in the last week, got the results back in 24 hours.

As a former resident of Oklahoma, maybe try not living in a state that distrusts the federal government and accepts funding/supplies for testing? Stitt is just as much of a tool as is Fallin, so it's a problem squarely in the hands of the voters there.

Reactions: Zorba

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007

I hate to break it to you, but if you have a drivers license and passport, the government already has enough identifiable info on you anyway. Got bluetooth on your phone or in your car? They use that to track your movement for "traffic patterns". If you city/province is anything like the shit ass town I lived in Oklahoma, I bet they never once made the public aware of the technology and thought to ask people if they would approve it.

I get what you are trying to say, and believe me I am right there with you, unfortunately the cap is already off the bottle and we're not gonna be able to put the genie back in.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
So I utilized my State's, Arizona, Department of Health website, and found not only clinics, but pharmacies that partnered with DHS to provide testing services, free of charge. Even where my parents lived, which is out in the middle of no where, there was a free clinic that did testing. I've been tested twice in the last week, got the results back in 24 hours.

As a former resident of Oklahoma, maybe try not living in a state that distrusts the federal government and accepts funding/supplies for testing? Stitt is just as much of a tool as is Fallin, so it's a problem squarely in the hands of the voters there.
Stitt makes Fallin look amazing.

Testing had been going pretty well here, but a ton of the drive through places closed in the spring and the pharmacies don't have enough appointments and can't keep home test kits in stock. Our pediatrician office had a really good setup, but apparently can't get the materials to do it in house right now. Going on 44 hours without results.

Reactions: McLovin

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I hate to break it to you, but if you have a drivers license and passport, the government already has enough identifiable info on you anyway. Got bluetooth on your phone or in your car? They use that to track your movement for "traffic patterns". If you city/province is anything like the shit ass town I lived in Oklahoma, I bet they never once made the public aware of the technology and thought to ask people if they would approve it.

I get what you are trying to say, and believe me I am right there with you, unfortunately the cap is already off the bottle and we're not gonna be able to put the genie back in.
In the US a government ran app would likely have much more protection from government tracking than a third party app. Due to insane third party doctrine and the fact private companies couldn't care less about security or privacy.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It looks like Fauci is saying that we need three shots now for "full" COVID-19 protection:

Of course, I don't believe a word that comes out of this guys mouth anymore. He's flip-flopped on issues like mask wearing so many times that his trust level with me is non-existant. The Biden administration really needs a new spokesperson for Covid-19 related issues.

Reactions: Captante and gill77

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

A couple eyebrow raisers in this report for me

They have been arguing strenuously that the administration lacks the data to justify a broad rollout of extra shots and should instead concentrate on vaccinating the roughly 25 percent of Americans who are eligible for shots but remain unprotected. And some have said that Biden aides wrongly cornered regulators by announcing a strategy before they could conduct a full review.

Uh 20some percent of adults aren't going to take it no matter what. We are not short of doses, we are short of willing recipients. Maybe hustle up the Pfizer EUA for 5-11s if you want to do something useful? I've seen no good explanation for the increased dataset and length of follow ups they've demanded and it just looks like ass covering because they are incentivized to do so.

In an interview published Thursday on WebMD.com, Dr. Woodcock echoed that view, saying that the trend of breakthrough infections has led health officials to believe at some point, “we are going to see hospitalizations and more serious disease” among fully vaccinated people. When that happens, she said, “we want to be ready” with the booster plan.

If corpses of fully vaccinated people start piling up because you were too slow boosting the vulnerable population that's not a success.

Some Americans are already getting booster shots ahead of F.D.A. approval: more than a million fully vaccinated people have received an additional dose since mid-August.

I know people who are doing this. Tens of millions will do this. Fretting over the booster dose size while millions of people go out and get the full dose is truly a "WTF" moment.

Reactions: Zorba and PingSpike

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It looks like Fauci is saying that we need three shots now for "full" COVID-19 protection:

Of course, I don't believe a word that comes out of this guys mouth anymore. He's flip-flopped on issues like mask wearing so many times that his trust level with me is non-existant. The Biden administration really needs a new spokesperson for Covid-19 related issues.

Changing his opinion in light of Delta is not a "flip flop". It's adjusting based on new conditions. Delta is flatly FAR more transmissible than Alpha which the vaccines were originally trialed against. Also, this would hardly be the first vaccine to require three doses for maximum efficacy.

Dec 10, 2005
I'm confused - how do you think science is supposed to work? Should we have rigid thinking that never changes in spite of evidence? Should proclamations be made without evidence to back them up?

Reactions: uclaLabrat

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Uh 20some percent of adults aren't going to take it no matter what. We are not short of doses, we are short of willing recipients. Maybe hustle up the Pfizer EUA for 5-11s if you want to do something useful? I've seen no good explanation for the increased dataset and length of follow ups they've demanded and it just looks like ass covering because they are incentivized to do so.
Agreed, leave them behind. One way or another that number will drop precipitously.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Changing his opinion in light of Delta is not a "flip flop". It's adjusting based on new conditions. Delta is flatly FAR more transmissible than Alpha which the vaccines were originally trialed against. Also, this would hardly be the first vaccine to require three doses for maximum efficacy.

It's not the message that I have a problem with, it's the messenger. In the last 18 months, this guy has gone from saying:

You don't need to wear a mask (Because none are available anyway, and we don't want to cause a panic)
Actually, you should probably wear a mask
You NEED to wear a mask!
Actually, you probably only need to wear it indoors
Maybe you should probably wear two masks?
Never mind, you don't need to wear a mask indoors anymore if you're vaccinated (Because we need to get more people to get those shots!)
Actually, you should wear a mask indoors even if you're vaccinated

Doesn't this guy understand the importance of consistent messaging? By changing the guidelines constantly, he's lost all credibility and quite frankly he's pissing people off. When the words, "OK, you actually need a third shot, but this will probably be the last one, OK?" come out of HIS mouth, it actually strengthens my belief that annual COVID booster shots are going to be a thing.

The CDC probably should have been telling us to wear masks all along, but it's probably too late for that now.

What I'd like to hear NOW is something more along the lines like "Sorry about all that bad advice from Dr. Fauci. He's a moron, we fired him. Here's our new head medical expert, with some new guidelines..."

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's not the message that I have a problem with, it's the messenger. In the last 18 months, this guy has gone from saying:

You don't need to wear a mask (Because none are available anyway, and we don't want to cause a panic)
Actually, you should probably wear a mask
You NEED to wear a mask!
Actually, you probably only need to wear it indoors
Maybe you should probably wear two masks?
Never mind, you don't need to wear a mask indoors anymore if you're vaccinated (Because we need to get more people to get those shots!)
Actually, you should wear a mask indoors even if you're vaccinated

Doesn't this guy understand the importance of consistent messaging? By changing the guidelines constantly, he's lost all credibility and quite frankly he's pissing people off. When the words, "OK, you actually need a third shot, but this will probably be the last one, OK?" come out of HIS mouth, it actually strengthens my belief that annual COVID booster shots are going to be a thing.

The CDC probably should have been telling us to wear masks all along, but it's probably too late for that now.

What I'd like to hear NOW is something more along the lines like "Sorry about all that bad advice from Dr. Fauci. He's a moron, we fired him. Here's our new head medical expert, with some new guidelines..."
You're expecting a scientist to act like a politician. That's not how scientists work.

If it makes you feel better, just put 'based on our current understanding' in front of his every statement.

Reactions: Zorba

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You're expecting a scientist to act like a politician. That's not how scientists work.

If it makes you feel better, just put 'based on our current understanding' in front of his every statement.

Actually, I expect Dr. Fauci to act like a doctor and give advice based on solid medical advice. Instead, he IS acting like a politician and probably telling people what his focus group told him would be the most effective messaging at the time. He got bad advice.

Reactions: PingSpike

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

A big complaint of people was why do they have to wear the mask if they're vaccinated. With Alpha this was much less of a problem because the vaccines induced enough immunity to be basically sterilizing against it. So guidance on mask wearing was relaxed to encourage vaccination. Enter Delta and the picture has changed making that no longer advisable.

It does not make sense to me to complain about changing guidance in a clearly changing situation. What was true before might not hold and adjusting instead of pretending otherwise is sound.