NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 595 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So my sister and 2 nephews who had the virus are free to be out of quarantine now. And it turns out they had the African variant. Since Canada has an open border policy we basically get all the variants here. All the talk about closing the border was just big talk, people have still been pouring in from the very beginning. Immigrants, travelers, etc.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Just checking in to say Fauci didn't believe in masks, yet we've all been wearing them for a year, whoops ! Finally something me and him agree on 😂 Wonder what else they lied about ? Carry on.

You're either a fucking clown, or a troll.

Reactions: KMFJD

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007

Tim Apple is trying to force employees back into the office and some employees are upset.

I really like this:

“We would like to take the opportunity to communicate a growing concern among our colleagues,” the letter says. “That Apple’s remote/location-flexible work policy, and the communication around it, have already forced some of our colleagues to quit. Without the inclusivity that flexibility brings, many of us feel we have to choose between either a combination of our families, our well-being, and being empowered to do our best work, or being a part of Apple.

More and more are waking up the unnecessary corporate commuting bs thanks to the pandemic.

People are starting to see part-time remote isn't even an option when the job is fully remote capable. YOLO and live and work where you want if possible.

Reactions: Zorba
Nov 8, 2012
I really like this:

More and more are waking up the unnecessary corporate commuting bs thanks to the pandemic.

People are starting to see part-time remote isn't even an option when the job is fully remote capable. YOLO and live and work where you want if possible.

There's been plenty even on this forum saying that work in office will come back in full, work isn't as productive even though no one seems to notice a difference the last 18 months, etc... etc...

I'm with you in that - plenty are going to get used to this and I see office cultures dying.

I have zero fucks to give and zero need to meet people up in person. If folks want to socialize then just grab a coffee instead of driving to downtown cities with expensive parking, lots of traffic, people distracting you at the office, etc...

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If they don't want to take a hybrid model, plus an additional 2 weeks a year remote of their choice, which seems like a very fair compromise, that's on them. I could see their point if it was full time 5 days a week. But hybrid? Fire them.

Nov 8, 2012
If they don't want to take a hybrid model, plus an additional 2 weeks a year remote of their choice, which seems like a very fair compromise, that's on them. I could see their point if it was full time 5 days a week. But hybrid? Fire them.

tenor.gif

Nov 8, 2012
Big tech has spent the last year leasing up more office space all over. Anybody surprised that hybrid is about as flexible as they're going to be hasn't been paying attention.

Applicable case in point:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/05...er-huge-sunnyvale-expansion-real-estate-tech/

Big tech doesn't run the world though - and they are largely employed by people that are young, unmarried, and don't have kids. Similarly when I was young I didn't care about getting home by dinner, because I didn't care if I worked late, stopped by a pub afterwards, etc.. etc..

It's the people who grow up - and have more obligations than getting corporate advancement - that are the ones that push for remote work.

Regardless, I have no skin in this game - my job (and majority in my department) has been work from home from day 1 prior to COVID. They really don't care as long as my tasks get done and other people's feedback reflects that.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Big tech doesn't run the world though - and they are largely employed by people that are young, unmarried, and don't have kids.

Regardless, I have no skin in this game - my job (and majority in my department) has been work from home from day 1 prior to COVID. They really don't care as long as my tasks get done and other people's feedback reflects that.

Anecdotally here in my Austin hood I'm surrounded by big tech workers (Google, FB, Oracle, Amazon) and it's all married couples mostly with kids. Most of the Apple people live up north towards Round Rock so don't know about them.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I am done with masks where they are not required. Up here we have some of the best vaccination rates in the country, and I live in the more liberal areas of this state, which means it's even higher. Around me we actually do have herd immunity.

I will wear them in Ubers and in mass transit situations like buses and trains, but not elsewhere. If a business requires it, I will definitely respect their wishes gladly and never cause a fuss about it. I appreciate their concern and it's a really small inconvenience.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's crazy to watch hockey games that are in the states and there's actually fans now, and no masks. Seems some places just decided to say F it and declare the pandemic over lol.

Though I was surprised that even in Montreal they had some fans but they still have to wear masks. Quebec was rather strict with the covid protocols so it's surprising to see.

The NHL must be pushing lot of under the table cash to the health officials lol.

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's crazy to watch hockey games that are in the states and there's actually fans now, and no masks. Seems some places just decided to say F it and declare the pandemic over lol.

Though I was surprised that even in Montreal they had some fans but they still have to wear masks. Quebec was rather strict with the covid protocols so it's surprising to see.

The NHL must be pushing lot of under the table cash to the health officials lol.
Gov Cuomo of New York is saying they are practically at herd immunity now and on the verge of simply opening up. We're scheduled to open up in California in 8 days. Actual herd immunity is expected by sometime September, according expert source.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Well this is not fun. I've been running a 99-101F fever the past day now, and woke up this morning to a lack of smell and taste. I scheduled a COVID test for this morning, and not long after drinking some warm water my sinuses cleared momentarily and I could smell the bottle of Listerine again! They're getting clogged again as we speak but I'm a little relieved to know that isn't typical of COVID: usually the loss of smell and taste is without sinus congestion. Right now mine seems to come back if I can get them cleared out, and even when I not cleared I can still tell tastes like sweet from sour.

Given my son attends daycare now I'm still going to go ahead with the test and keep him home today. FWIW I am vaccinated, but I probably should not risk potentially having it and then sending it back in with him. Even though other parents are probably just sending their kids in anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
So my sister and 2 nephews who had the virus are free to be out of quarantine now. And it turns out they had the African variant. Since Canada has an open border policy we basically get all the variants here. All the talk about closing the border was just big talk, people have still been pouring in from the very beginning. Immigrants, travelers, etc.
Who can enter Canada
You can travel to and enter Canada if you’re a
Foreign nationals, including United States (US) citizens, can travel to Canada only if they’re eligible.

always the immigrants eh.....ffs your smarter than that

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Who can enter Canada
You can travel to and enter Canada if you’re a
Foreign nationals, including United States (US) citizens, can travel to Canada only if they’re eligible.

always the immigrants eh.....ffs your smarter than that

That's the land border. Airlines never really stopped much. And still those are still lot of people coming in regardless. If we had done like New Zealand we would probably not still be in this mess. Island or not does not really matter if you shut down land border and airlines it would greatly minimize the number of people coming in or out. It won't stop them all but it would stop the majority. Too late at this point though. We already have most of the variants and community spread of those variants at this point. The quarantine hotels are a joke too, not only did it happen too late, but the fine for not going is cheaper than what the hotel costs so most people rightfully so, just take the fine. The hotels should at very least be a normal hotel rate instead of a price gouging rate.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's the land border. Airlines never really stopped much. And still those are still lot of people coming in regardless. If we had done like New Zealand we would probably not still be in this mess. Island or not does not really matter if you shut down land border and airlines it would greatly minimize the number of people coming in or out. It won't stop them all but it would stop the majority. Too late at this point though. We already have most of the variants and community spread of those variants at this point. The quarantine hotels are a joke too, not only did it happen too late, but the fine for not going is cheaper than what the hotel costs so most people rightfully so, just take the fine. The hotels should at very least be a normal hotel rate instead of a price gouging rate.

Sigh, who can enter Canada is the same whether you fly in or cross at land border. You have to show proof of negative test either way. The diff is land crossing you don't have to stay at quarentine hotel if you cross at land border.