NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 586 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Yelp, looks like i got screwed. Apparently i got a fake dose of the Pfizer vaccine... the magnet didn't stick! :(

Guy at works asks me which arm i got the vaccine in & says there's a bunch of videos online showing vaccinated people with magnets sticking to the shoulder. Places a magnet on my shoulder but it fell off. As he walks away i hear him say the magnet must not be powerful enough...

:D
since there's no facepalm emoji

Where do you live? Please don't say Florida. LOL.

Was the guy one of the flat earth person too? Some people are so gullible.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Ohio's doing something interesting to get folks vaccinated:

They're having a "lottery" with covid funds: $1m for 5 adults and college tuition for 5 teens. Drawings to be held on Wednesdays for up to 5 weeks. I like the idea. If I were on the fence about the vaccines I'd get it just for that.

Nov 8, 2012
Ohio's doing something interesting to get folks vaccinated:

They're having a "lottery" with covid funds: $1m for 5 adults and college tuition for 5 teens. Drawings to be held on Wednesdays for up to 5 weeks. I like the idea. If I were on the fence about the vaccines I'd get it just for that.

lol good choice, though I would honestly lower the standards - say... $10,000 in straight cash. You don't need $1m to convince lottery players.

Keeping it to college tuition limits you to... people who want to go to college... Bad idea.

What's the old saying for lotteries? Something like "The lottery is a tax on the uneducated, for the educated" (because apparently lottery funds goes towards education).

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
lol good choice, though I would honestly lower the standards - say... $10,000 in straight cash. You don't need $1m to convince lottery players.

Keeping it to college tuition limits you to... people who want to go to college... Bad idea.

What's the old saying for lotteries? Something like "The lottery is a tax on the uneducated, for the educated" (because apparently lottery funds goes towards education).

Correct, at least that's how Ohio's lottery system works, and seems to be the norm across the USA.
Unfortunately, some states also like to slash education budgets to compensate and then spend money elsewhere, so sometimes it's not as effective as it could be. I think Ohio has played games like that before, Ohio rolls like that, but I can't recall the specifics from last I read on it.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Where do you live? Please don't say Florida. LOL.

Was the guy one of the flat earth person too? Some people are so gullible.
No, not Florida. PA
I have no idea what he thinks anymore. He's gone off the deep end. Would have to take this to P&N to explain.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm not sure if this proves that vaccinated people can still spread COVID-19, or that the J&J vaccine that the Yankees used sucks. Maybe both?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Correct, at least that's how Ohio's lottery system works, and seems to be the norm across the USA.
Unfortunately, some states also like to slash education budgets to compensate and then spend money elsewhere, so sometimes it's not as effective as it could be. I think Ohio has played games like that before, Ohio rolls like that, but I can't recall the specifics from last I read on it.

Connecticut is offering a free drink at participating bars for people who can prove that they were vaccinated. Upgrade that to a free meal, and you got something that might work!

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It is super weird how people have vastly different reactions. My wife had the exactly same reactions that I had for both shots, except that her heavy flu symptoms lasted for nearly 4 days. Like the worst flu she's ever been through, could hardly get out of bed, plus a massive headache, just totally wrecked. Better now but just tired. Crazy stuff!
I had the same intense arm soreness you report after the 1st shot (Moderna). Could not lift left arm higher than my head next day or two because of the pain. But other than that, didn't notice a lot. In fact the tiredness/lethargy next day I wasn't sure if it was caused by the vaccination, it could have just been not enough sleep.

The 2nd shot, hardly any arm soreness compared to the first, spent most of the next day in bed and a fever came on that I kept track of, and it continued to edge up from 99.2 to a high of 100.8, but I never felt "sick." I mean, it was less uncomfortable than a moderate cold, much less. Usually if I get a fever I'm quite unhappy, not sure I like being alive, but this wasn't like that at all. By evening on day two the fever broke and that was pretty much it.

Was glad to get reactions, figured they proved I was building that immunity.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Connecticut is offering a free drink at participating bars for people who can prove that they were vaccinated. Upgrade that to a free meal, and you got something that might work!

$500 stimulus first shot, $500 stimulus second shot. 99% of America would be done within a week lol.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
the pfizer vaccine didn't activate my latent mutant magnetism abilities would that allow me to rule the world!!!!

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I'm not sure if this proves that vaccinated people can still spread COVID-19, or that the J&J vaccine that the Yankees used sucks. Maybe both?

I haven't been following this story but i wouldn't say the J&J vaccine sucks. There's still some unanswered questions here.
1 out of 8 had any symptoms & the 1 is now symptom free. Would it have been the same with no vaccination? Maybe, maybe not.
None of the vaccines guarantee you won't get covid & the best guess is that being vaccinated "probably" helps not to spread it.
With the easing of mask restrictions it would seem those in the know seem to think it's safe to be around other vaccinated people.

Dec 10, 2005

None of the shots were tested for complete prevention. They all succeeded in preventing severe disease and death.

And sample size n=8 is garbage.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

I agree, be better to have lower totals for longer. That way you could really pump the winners.

They probably didn't want to offer cash to people under 18 for tax and legal reasons.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
None of the shots were tested for complete prevention. They all succeeded in preventing severe disease and death.

Yeah, it wasn't ever clear that complete prevention was in the cards to me. Even just improving transmission and severe disease is pretty good though.

That's part of the reason I'm not super keen on the mask mandate being dumped for fully vaccinated people just yet. The main reason though is lots of people lie. Frankly I think it was as much a political play to bait people reluctant to get the vaccine to change their minds as it was a real policy.

Reactions: Captante and Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yeah, it wasn't ever clear that complete prevention was in the cards to me. Even just improving transmission and severe disease is pretty good though.

That's part of the reason I'm not super keen on the mask mandate being dumped for fully vaccinated people just yet. The main reason though is lots of people lie. Frankly I think it was as much a political play to bait people reluctant to get the vaccine to change their minds as it was a real policy.
The problem is the antivaxers were already the ones not wearing masks.

Mask mandates should've been directly tied to percentage of vaccination.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Scientists investigate indications of fertility reduction in men who contract covid-19:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

You always hear that, but TBH I am skeptical. Obviously, it's not hard to track severe disease and death but this disease can have many concerning consequences that are as yet little understood that fall outside SDAD.

It might be years, possibly many, before we sort these things out.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
$500 stimulus first shot, $500 stimulus second shot. 99% of America would be done within a week lol.

True, but I'm not sure if more stimmies is a good idea right now. We already have inflation and shortages of things like electronics and lumber right now.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
You always hear that, but TBH I am skeptical. Obviously, it's not hard to track severe disease and death but this disease can have many concerning consequences that are as yet little understood that fall outside SDAD.

It might be years, possibly many, before we sort these things out.
Actually the Israelis have already studied the Pfizer vaccine's roll-out (so roughly Q1 2021) and they found the BioNTech vaccine is highly effective at preventing transmission. I realize your post wasn't specifically in regards to that point, but by now there's actually significant real-world experience from the vaccines in three countries: US, UK and Israel.

True, but I'm not sure if more stimmies is a good idea right now. We already have inflation and shortages of things like electronics and lumber right now.
The gubment screwed up, a vaccination bonus should have carved out of the last stimmy. A recent survey showed many hesitant folks would "sell out" for as little as $50-$100. As you alluded to, the majority of people receiving the last round of $1400 didn't need it.

Reactions: Zorba and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Actually the Israelis have already studied the Pfizer vaccine's roll-out (so roughly Q1 2021) and they found the BioNTech vaccine is highly effective at preventing transmission. I realize your post wasn't specifically in regards to that point, but by now there's actually significant real-world experience from the vaccines in three countries: US, UK and Israel.
Saw a news story on network news tonight that IIRC eleven members of the NY Yankees organization including staff and players, all of whom received the J&J vaccine have just now tested positive for covid-19, "breakthough" infections. Either mild or asymptomatic infections, however covid-19 is insidious, we do not know a great deal about the singularly multifarious effects (more various than any previously known pathogen) it can have on the human body and we do not know that "mild" or even asymptomatic (as far as they can tell) cases do not have serious consequences some of the time.

Personally, I think it should be a major goal of the Biden administration to get the US to herd immunity. Biden has stated his intention to try for it.

There's a lot of things they can try, including paying people $100 to get vaccinated, as you suggest... or having another stimulus, say $600, contingent on full vaccination. It's partly public relations, partly epidemiology, some subtlety, finesse and patience. A lot of people will come around by and by.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Saw a news story on network news tonight that IIRC eleven members of the NY Yankees organization including staff and players, all of whom received the J&J vaccine have just now tested positive for covid-19, "breakthough" infections. Either mild or asymptomatic infections, however covid-19 is insidious, we do not know a great deal about the singularly multifarious effects (more various than any previously known pathogen) it can have on the human body and we do not know that "mild" or even asymptomatic (as far as they can tell) cases do not have serious consequences some of the time.

Personally, I think it should be a major goal of the Biden administration to get the US to herd immunity. Biden has stated his intention to try for it.

There's a lot of things they can try, including paying people $100 to get vaccinated, as you suggest... or having another stimulus, say $600, contingent on full vaccination. It's partly public relations, partly epidemiology, some subtlety, finesse and patience. A lot of people will come around by and by.

I am no doctor but from everything I read before getting the vaccine I really wanted one of the two mRNA ones. I truly felt it was a superior product and I believe that most issues with vaccinated people going forward will be with the J&J or Astra Zeneca vs the two shot mRNA versions. I was debating whether or not to reject a J&J vaccine if that is what they had when I showed up. Luckily I got Pfizer.

Reactions: Captante and Zorba