NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 585 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had nil reaction to Astrazenica.

(Other than a mild feeling of disappointment at the thought I was getting the old-school vaccine rather than a high-tech mRNA one, i.e. one that was sufficiently science-nerd-friendly to merit it's own xkcd cartoon. Felt like getting the Nokia 5110 of vacines, while others are getting iPhone 12 jabs.)
Go get an mRNA jab. The Astrazenica will act like a first dose and the mRNA will be tantamount to a second mRNA dose and you'll have protection equal to anyone in all likelihood. You should be able to get an mRNA jab pretty easily now!

Dec 10, 2005
Go get an mRNA jab. The Astrazenica will act like a first dose and the mRNA will be tantamount to a second mRNA dose and you'll have protection equal to anyone in all likelihood. You should be able to get an mRNA jab pretty easily now!
Don't mix and match shots unless you're part of a clinical trial actually researching that. Just follow the labeling outside of that setting (ie, stick with the regimen you already started). They are all fine at this juncture.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It is fantastic, but the trendline is discouraging. Unless you figure out some way to crack vaccine hesitancy (ignoring the outright refuseniks), experts now believe it is unlikely we will reach "herd immunity" this year. Maybe that'll be OK, we could possibly be into the 60s % vaccinated, with significant natural immunity as well. If I had to guess, the pandemic isn't ending for the U.S. this summer, and there will be a manageable bump of infections in the late fall.

We're getting into the stage where you have to go out and find people to vaccinate and incentive the under 30s to get theirs. A lot of lower income people don't have the time or ability to hunt it down so probably start sending more mobile units into places where this is the case.

Apparently pop up clinics at brewpubs where you get a free beer with your shot are seeing good success. A couple family members got theirs because of the Krispy Kreme thing.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Apparently pop up clinics at brewpubs where you get a free beer with your shot are seeing good success. A couple family members got theirs because of the Krispy Kreme thing.

If they just gave free whisky rather than beer, they could offer a shot with your shot. The US being the US, you might score the trifecta and get shot while getting your free shot with your shot. It's worth a shot, though.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If they just gave free whisky rather than beer, they could offer a shot with your shot. The US being the US, you might score the trifecta and get shot while getting your free shot with your shot. It's worth a shot, though.

Bonus is people won't know if they feel a little crummy the next day who the culprit is.

Reactions: pmv

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Innovation isn't the word you are looking for. Logistics maybe. Moderna was developed here but the others weren't.
The underlying technology of mRNA was and most of all the fundamental research in how to make a vaccine for coronaviruses. But the right word is probably grit, not specifically innovation.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
We're getting into the stage where you have to go out and find people to vaccinate and incentive the under 30s to get theirs. A lot of lower income people don't have the time or ability to hunt it down so probably start sending more mobile units into places where this is the case.

I had my first Krispy Kreme in years, maybe a decade. I would've gotten the vaccine anyways, of course, but it was fun to get a free donut.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
My wife got notified today that the Novavax trail for 12-17 is about to start enrolling. Of course Novavax also announced today that they are going to slow roll their EUA request all the way out to July at the earliest. They already ditched the placebo arm of their trial, (double shot everyone, so everyone is still blind but have gotten both the vaccine and placebo) so I assume they have the data they need, just their manufacturing isn't up to snuff to meet their commitments after approval.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My wife got notified today that the Novavax trail for 12-17 is about to start enrolling. Of course Novavax also announced today that they are going to slow roll their EUA request all the way out to July at the earliest. They already ditched the placebo arm of their trial, (double shot everyone, so everyone is still blind but have gotten both the vaccine and placebo) so I assume they have the data they need, just their manufacturing isn't up to snuff to meet their commitments after approval.

Sounds like they have production bottlenecks due to supplies and equipment so no reason to hurry the EUA. High probability they'll end up exporting the entire US contract anyway since we're not going to need it.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Sounds like they have production bottlenecks due to supplies and equipment so no reason to hurry the EUA. High probability they'll end up exporting the entire US contract anyway since we're not going to need it.
Yeah. I'd just like them to hurry up to help the world. And for selfish reasons, my wife and MIL won't have proof of vaccination until they get their EUA. I'm sure a ton of people will leave the study so they can get an approved vaccine with proof.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

At least 5 New York Yankees coaches have tested positive. The coach mentioned in the article was vaccinated.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Reactions: Captante

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Whoops.. woman in Italy was given an entire vial of Pfizer. So she got 6 times the normal dosage.

This bit of the report came across as a bit odd to me

An internal investigation has been opened, said Gianelli, who added that it was "maybe just human error, definitively not on purpose."

I mean only maybe human error? And why even bother denying it was on purpose, I don't think it would have occured to anyone that it could have been, so why specifically deny it?
Unless that's just a matter of translating the comment from Italian?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This bit of the report came across as a bit odd to me

I mean only maybe human error? And why even bother denying it was on purpose, I don't think it would have occured to anyone that it could have been, so why specifically deny it?
Unless that's just a matter of translating the comment from Italian?
I'm just shocked the syringe could hold a while vial worth.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Changi Airport in Singapore is closed to the public, only for staff members and flyers....ie...you can't stop by to visit anymore (beautiful airport with the waterfall) until further notice.

JewelChangiAirport_08-640x393@2x.jpg

JewelChangiAirport_06-1832x1374.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pmv

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

At least 5 New York Yankees coaches have tested positive. The coach mentioned in the article was vaccinated.

Now they are up to 7, and they sent home SS Glyber Torres because they are awaiting results. Torres caught the virus in December and was vaccinated.

• Wow

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Whoops.. woman in Italy was given an entire vial of Pfizer. So she got 6 times the normal dosage.

She should donate blood and they can give her blood to covid patients. Instant cured lol.

Actually... could that work? If someone vaccinated or that got covid gives blood does the recipient also get the antibodies?

Dec 10, 2005
She should donate blood and they can give her blood to covid patients. Instant cured lol.

Actually... could that work? If someone vaccinated or that got covid gives blood does the recipient also get the antibodies?
That has already been tried - convalescent plasma therapy - people that had covid donate plasma for use in sick people. Unfortunately, it's hard to say if it works because no one really ran a quality study.

Reactions: K1052

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Yelp, looks like i got screwed. Apparently i got a fake dose of the Pfizer vaccine... the magnet didn't stick! :(

Guy at works asks me which arm i got the vaccine in & says there's a bunch of videos online showing vaccinated people with magnets sticking to the shoulder. Places a magnet on my shoulder but it fell off. As he walks away i hear him say the magnet must not be powerful enough...

:D
since there's no facepalm emoji

Reactions: zinfamous

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yelp, looks like i got screwed. Apparently i got a fake dose of the Pfizer vaccine... the magnet didn't stick! :(

Guy at works asks me which arm i got the vaccine in & says there's a bunch of videos online showing vaccinated people with magnets sticking to the shoulder. Places a magnet on my shoulder but it fell off. As he walks away i hear him say the magnet must not be powerful enough...

:D
since there's no facepalm emoji
Proof that we evolved wrong is that intelligence hurts much more than stupidity.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lol could make a fun prank video, just need to put a small magnet under the bandage. I was also thinking it would be funny to make a light bulb light up by using high voltage where when I touch the bulb it lights up. "5G signal lights up bulb!"

But then anti vaxxers might think it's real lol.

• Haha