NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 475 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Got a call from the school yesterday that a kid tested positive and was on campus last week. My daughter started having a sore throat around the 3rd, slight cough, and a slight runny nose. We've been giving her allergy medicine to see if that helps, she said it doesn't feel like her s/t is getting worse but it does hurt. I made an appt for her to get tested tomorrow. I'm making an appt to get tested this afternoon through our work, I'm taking her to cvs tomorrow. Anyone know how long results are taking through cvs? My work results are taking 2-3 days.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Got a call from the school yesterday that a kid tested positive and was on campus last week. My daughter started having a sore throat around the 3rd, slight cough, and a slight runny nose. We've been giving her allergy medicine to see if that helps, she said it doesn't feel like her s/t is getting worse but it does hurt. I made an appt for her to get tested tomorrow. I'm making an appt to get tested this afternoon through our work, I'm taking her to cvs tomorrow. Anyone know how long results are taking through cvs? My work results are taking 2-3 days.

They say 2-3 days officially. Not sure how they are really running, probably depends what lab they are using and how busy it is.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I'm sorry to hear about that. I think you're right on the 'I know these people so it's safe' mentality. I also think there is a largish group of people who were holding off on doing things, think there is some risk to COVID but it's not that bad, are now getting tired of not being able to do things so they are now doing those things. If the worst thing in your life is you go your senior year without any dances, don't have a large birthday party or have to wait a year or two to get married I'd say you're doing pretty well compared to most of the world's population but that doesn't appear to resonate with many for a variety of reasons
It's partly human nature and for some, heavily influenced by the terrible messaging from POTUS. In isolation, Covid-19 isn't a particularly deadly disease (perhaps 0.6% mortality rate, who knows). (The essential problems are that it's highly infectious, novel, and asymptomatic transmission.) So a lot of Americans, young and old, are just "over" the whole thing as we go into what's likely to become the worst phase of the pandemic. It's very abstract to read or hear of 100k daily new cases, if you don't know of anyone who's seriously ill or died of Covid-19. Even hearing of the death count, it's abstract and people can't make the mental connection that communities need to stop spreading the virus lest it overwhelms hospital ICUs a few weeks out. Unfortunately it's human nature to react to the emergency than to mitigate it from happening.

I'm not excusing human behavior; I personally think a lot of it is ridiculous and health policy should never have been politicized. "It is what it is." We were all kind of flipping out when NY city was using freight trucks for temporary body storage, but that level of concern has drastically dissipated. Not to minimize the pandemic, but humanity might have been a little lucky. If Covid-19 was not only highly infectious but as deadly as SARS v1, the shit would have really the fan.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
The US remains the undisputed heavyweight champ of sickness and death. India got fairly close, but this is one competition America refuses to lose.

Reactions: Captante

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The US remains the undisputed heavyweight champ of sickness and death. India got fairly close, but this is one competition America refuses to lose.
I've got news for you but... nevermind. You've internalized this. You'll just imagine I'm being jingoistic or racist to support your core belief.

Just go visit India. Thailand. China. The disparity is visibility and honest reporting, not sickness and death.

Last edited:

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I've got news for you but... nevermind. You've internalized this. You'll just imagine I'm being jingoistic or racist to support your core belief.

Just go visit India. Thailand. China. The disparity is visibility.

What do you presume to be my core belief?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
What do you presume to be my core belief?
"Presume?" You openly stated your belief.

The US remains the undisputed heavyweight champ of sickness and death.

Your defensive response seemingly confirms my assertion that you have internalized it as a "core belief."

Because you missed my edit, I will repeat:
Just go visit India. Thailand. China. The disparity is visibility and honest reporting, not sickness and death.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
"Presume?" You openly stated your belief.

Your defensive response seemingly confirms my assertion that you have internalized it as a "core belief."

Because you missed my edit, I will repeat:

I think you are thinking way too hard about this. I was providing some dark, sarcastic humor in light of my frustration with America's inability to mitigate this virus. The comparison to India is apples to oranges, and completely irrelevant, which is why I thought it was evident I was being factitious.

I'm honestly not trying to defend myself. I'm just confused as to why you would presume this to be a "core belief," and furthermore, why you would pre-emptively assume I'm going to construe your response as being jingoistic or racist.

I am always happy to read and learn more about what is going on with this virus. If you have information or insight to share, please do.

EDIT: Regarding your edit, I very much share the same view and suspicions. There is nothing jingoistic or racist about that.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Well, I just got tested again this morning. Had mild congestion with a little blood in my mucous, some occasional sneezing, and a tickle in my throat. Testing was the least I could do after what happened last night:
I went through the McDonald's drive-thru. They handed me my food and no one was in front of me when I started moving forward, window down since I was still holding the food and managing a manual transmission. Before setting it down I felt to make sure both items were in there. Hands full, I glanced down to scout a place for the bag. At that moment I suddenly had to sneeze and did not have a free arm to sneeze into.

Since I'd already pulled forward enough to clear the pick-up window and there was just a brick wall next to me, I thought the coast was clear to sneeze out of the open window. I turned my head and sneezed just as I was reaching the corner of the brick wall, which should not have mattered since the lobby was closed and there shouldn't be customer traffic there (drive-thru only). Turns out, some McDonald's employee stepped out the corner door and into the line of fire right as I was projectile-sneezing directly at them from only a yards away... completely unstifled. I sneezed hard enough I probably sent rockets of spit hurling the full distance. Oops.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I think you are thinking way too hard about this. I was providing some dark, sarcastic humor in light of my frustration with America's inability to mitigate this virus. The comparison to India is apples to oranges, and completely irrelevant, which is why I thought it was evident I was being factitious.

I'm honestly not trying to defend myself. I'm just confused as to why you would presume this to be a "core belief," and furthermore, why you would pre-emptively assume I'm going to construe your response as being jingoistic or racist.

I am always happy to read and learn more about what is going on with this virus. If you have information or insight to share, please do.

EDIT: Regarding your edit, I very much share the same view and suspicions. There is nothing jingoistic or racist about that.
While I agree that the USA mishandled it in many ways, the disproportionate numbers reported in the USA reflect the transparency, testing competency, and overall visibility more than they reflect our mishandling in comparison to places like India.

It's open-season on mocking the handling/response in the US and it's become so politically correct to do so that many have permanently lost perspective. They don't remember that China claims to only have a dozen or so flu deaths a year. They weren't in Thailand when the pandemic started like my brother, who likely got sick from on the flight from Bangkok to Istanbul when he sat next to a very sick man from India. I was already wearing full N95 respirators in public/at work when I got sick in March (just before the lockdown) so I likely got it from my brother... whatever it was, since the US visibility was as bad as India's at that point.

My landlords have been back to Thailand multiple times during the pandemic to deal with things like dying family members. Yeah, we know about sicknesses and deaths which went completely unreported in a country most of us wrongly believe has it under control. It's rampant.

India's 1.3 billion people are a lot harder to deal with in a pandemic than the 350 million the US is responsible for but it's already clear that their numbers aren't even relatively comparable. How could they be? Apples and oranges. While the US has the means to test more per-capita and actively supports over-reporting to reduce under-reporting (no way to over-report when it's actually 10x more prevalent than the confirmed cases would indicate), India's economy can't support the same per-capita level of testing or incentives. FFS, they had bloated corpses floating down rivers in their biggest cities while people bathed around them even before all this. It's not a dig at them. If even we had trouble getting visibility on this at first then we must recognize that it's simply too much for their government to handle with the given resources. Therefore, it's unreasonable to think we have an apples to apples comparison.

The US leads the world in death and sickness during this pandemic mostly because we lead the world on reporting. Yes, it's ALSO because we had an incompetent response, but so did most third-world counties. We should have done better, but we can't chalk it all up to the incompetent response part to make knowingly disengenuous comparisons to Asia. Doing so isn't going to provoke a better response in the US to avoid a shameful comparison. That ship has sailed. Obviously, sweeping it under the rug is what let it get so bad in the first place (China, I'm looking at you). The US openly shares embarrassing numbers in the name of truth and transparency which is ultimately good for the rest of the world. The take-away needs to be that this is window into what is actually happening in places like India where we know it is actually much, much, much worse.

People thought it was racist to close our borders to China because they didn't know what was really happening there. As long as we convince ourselves that the US is the worst, these same people will never know/acknowledge the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roger Wilco

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So now France has over 60,000 of new cases, a new record.

Where are the usual suspects that love to blame? Come on out. How could it be? LOL.

<snip>
People thought it was racist to close our borders to China because they didn't know what was really happening there. As long as we convince ourselves that the US is the worst, this same people will never know/acknowledge the truth.

I remember when the US blocked travelers from china and we had so many people pulled the race card but not not a word from those same individuals when china is blocking travelers from outside china. Uh huh.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I found out there was a rapid test in Fresno so I took my daughter there this morning and cancelled her test at CVS later today. Spent a few hours there because I was the first in line, but after they took our samples, we got our results back within about 30 mins. Both negative. I'm assuming the results I'll get for the test I took yesterday will be negative as well, but if not, that'll be interesting lol

Reactions: K1052

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Accusation without evidence/proof = invalid. Not my words. One of the well know liberals in this site said so. Burden of proof is for everyone he said.

I rendered my opinion, which obviously triggered you to respond exactly how you criticize others for responding. Too bad, so sad, and just proved my opinion accurate.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I rendered my opinion, which obviously triggered you to respond exactly how you criticize others for responding. Too bad, so sad, and just proved my opinion accurate.

You came into the thread and insulted me right away without disputed anything in my link/post as invalid/wrong. That's not how a normal person should debate. Burden of proof is on the accuser as eskimo said.

Either provide evidences/proof to support your statement like I did or STFU. Not going to drag out for individuals like you.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You came into the thread and insulted me right away without disputed anything in my link/post as invalid/wrong. That's not how a normal person should debate. Burden of proof is on the accuser as eskimo said.

Either provide evidences/proof to support your statement like I did or STFU. Not going to drag out for individuals like you.

Your post was the evidence, or you too dumb to figure it out? LoL

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Here is what you quoted of my original post "So now France has over 60,000 of new cases. Where are the usual suspects that love to blame? Come on out. How could it be? LOL."

Prove it. Point it out what I said/my link was wrong/invalid.

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

You guys are both the turds in the punch bowl that is this thread.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You guys are both the turds in the punch bowl that is this thread.

I didn't call anyone any name or used insult in my original post as he attacked me for no reason.

CZero and Wilco had different opinions (see above in this page) but you don't see either of them called the other as "idiot", right? That's how to debate IMO.

If he quoted my post and said something like "hey Svnla, you are wrong about what you just said because.... a)....b)...and/or c)" then I would not have any problem with it.

Last edited: