NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 420 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The mighty has fallen. Vietnam has not one, but two deaths from the virus after several months of zero death from the beginning of the epidemic-

Saw on EU news earlier today, a bunch of folks hang out at the beach in Spain, with no mask and next to each other like sardines. US is not alone with fools that don't take this virus seriously.

With all of those new cases, look like International cross countries flights/travelings would be on hold for a long time.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They're finally cracking down on the Alaska loophole. Basically Americans say they are going to Alaska and are allowed through the border but then they are just visiting Canada and going to beaches etc. As much as we like tourists coming to visit, now is not the time!

Don't mind the audio of that, it's quite terrible. Nothing but the finest in Canadian audio engineering was used to produce that segment.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
jSXhe05.png
You sir, win the internet today!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The mighty has fallen. Vietnam has not one, but two deaths from the virus after several months of zero death from the beginning of the epidemic-

I didn't really believe the Covid numbers coming out of Vietnam anyway. They seem just as suspiciously optimistic as the ones coming out of China or North Korea.

Nov 8, 2012
I have to sit here and give props to Bill Maher on his ending note today.

And no matter what you want to say - this isn't political. It is scientifically factual.

But for some reason... we don't talk about this because it's deemed politically incorrect to talk about for whatever reason....Just like Trump with the whole mask debacle. It isn't politics - but people are making it into one.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have to sit here and give props to Bill Maher on his ending note today.

And no matter what you want to say - this isn't political. It is scientifically factual.

But for some reason... we don't talk about this because it's deemed politically incorrect to talk about for whatever reason....Just like Trump with the whole mask debacle. It isn't politics - but people are making it into one.

Eh, we have known that being obese and fat is unhealthy for decades since it has become a problem. People are too lazy to change it prior to covid and they are too lazy to change that now. No matter how many PSA's or healthy recipes that are out there about eating healthy it's not going to change that fact about fat lazy people. They know they are slowly dying and don't care.

The difference between being a fatty and wearing a mask is that not wearing a mask puts other lives at risk, whereas being a fatty puts only you at risk.

I do like his point though about how people get shamed for eating properly and being called a health nut because you don't want to eat like shit all the time and be a fatty.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
July totalled about 2M cases for the month alone. Usually, in the South, August is a more unbearable month. Think the heat will kill it now?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
US life expectancy has been on the decline for three years running. We know the country is quite unhealthy but are unwilling (proudly so in many cases) to do anything about it policy wise. I expect this will continue and Americans will increasingly live sicker, shorter, poorer lives.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
US life expectancy has been on the decline for three years running. We know the country is quite unhealthy but are unwilling (proudly so in many cases) to do anything about it policy wise. I expect this will continue and Americans will increasingly live sicker, shorter, poorer lives.
Maher is right in that we (as a country) glorify obesity and unhealthy lifestyles. I mean we even have obese models and stuff with campaigns saying that even if you are fat you are still beautiful and you should be comfortable with it.

I disagree. You should NOT feel comfortable being overweight and out of shape. There is a reason when you are fat and overweight you don't feel good and it's because your body is telling you that you aren't treating it right.

Nov 8, 2012
Eh, we have known that being obese and fat is unhealthy for decades since it has become a problem. People are too lazy to change it prior to covid and they are too lazy to change that now. No matter how many PSA's or healthy recipes that are out there about eating healthy it's not going to change that fact about fat lazy people. They know they are slowly dying and don't care.

The difference between being a fatty and wearing a mask is that not wearing a mask puts other lives at risk, whereas being a fatty puts only you at risk.

I do like his point though about how people get shamed for eating properly and being called a health nut because you don't want to eat like shit all the time and be a fatty.

Right but his main point is that all the scientists that everyone is saying "OMG listen to the science!"... are absolutely silent about mentioning this.

Christ, we have been in lockdown for practically 4 months now - and by the way - I read the Facebook comments from Bill Maher'a posting of this video and it was basically a bunch of people whining "How are fat people supposed to get healthy in time for the virus?!".....

Ohhhh I don't know, maybe instead of sitting on your ass for the last 4 months just taking a walk around the block for the last 4 months? Crazy, I know - but you would be amazed what a big difference something so small can do. But like I said, you NEVER heard that from Fauchi or any others with public media/press mention this. You didn't see it on the front of a news paper. You didn't see it on the front of CNN.com

I don't for one minute buy into the whole "Poor people MUST eat like a fattie" debacle either. Like Bill Maher said, not buying soda and instead opting for water isn't more expensive. I say this also as someone that has lost a shit ton of weight.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Bad habits are incredibly hard to change. 1) you have to want to change 2) even if you want to change, you have to be willing to do the work.

What's easier? Sitting on your fat ass drinking milk shakes, eating cheetos while playing video games/watching netflix and staying up very late/ Or, keeping a strict schedule. You go to bed at 10pm, wake up at 5am. Work out at 6am. Eat clean while keeping bad foods to a minimum. The only reason people change is if becomes a must, like having type2 diabetes, heart disease, or cancer because of your unhealthy lifestyle. By then, it's too late for the majority of people anyway. They have decades of poor habits behind them. I live in NJ. The amount of overweight young people is staggering. Those 20 something overweight people are going to be 40 somethings with hypetension, type2, and high risk of cancer, and heart disease. I doubt most will even make it to 60. If they do it's not a life that I'd want anyway. To be trapped in your own body. Have you noticed that many of the people who are dying from this disease are overweight?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Right but his main point is that all the scientists that everyone is saying "OMG listen to the science!"... are absolutely silent about mentioning this.
Silent about what? Telling people to do what they should be doing their entire life?

It's been known since like April that people with underlying health issues such as obesity are at higher risk than those who don't have any.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Who exactly are 'all the scientists'? We've had an obesity crisis not being taken seriously by national leadership for like, four decades. I see this as identical to climate change, everyone with a voice has been screaming from the rooftops for as long as they've known about a given crisis, then when the shit finally hits the fan, nimrods out there that never listened say 'WHY DIDN'T THEY WARN US?!'. Honestly.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Who exactly are 'all the scientists'? We've had an obesity crisis not being taken seriously by national leadership for like, four decades. I see this as identical to climate change, everyone with a voice has been screaming from the rooftops for as long as they've known about a given crisis, then when the shit finally hits the fan, nimrods out there that never listened say 'WHY DIDN'T THEY WARN US?!'. Honestly.
But sausages though.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Even with our shit education system, our preschoolers figured it out. Day cares never closed and no deaths.
The concern is that the little bastards are carriers of disease between clean households and the dirty ones inhabited by, you know, THOSE people.