NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 360 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
going though this has been an experience and with that I would like to share a few things to help others that may be dealing with this as well.

Zinc lozenges - Makes it harder for the virus to bind to your hemoglobin, take then every couple hours
Apple Cider vinegar - 2 tables in liter of water and some honey to flavor. Tons of health benefits for taking this daily.
multi vitamins - take them, you need every bit of it to help your body fight.
high doses of vitamin C
sticking to an Anti inflammatory Diet - https://www.webmd.com/diet/anti-inflammatory-diet-road-to-good-health#1
Tylenol and ibuprofen to control the fever
Heppa air filter. Clean air is really important with a respiratory disease. I have several plus a whole house air filter.
Pulse Oximeter - Monitoring your o2 levels and ensure you are not dipping into the danger zone on this. If you are go to the ER right away. You will need oxygen.
Trace mineral Drops into water several times a day. - Again giving your body everything it needs to fight off the disease.
Breathing exercises. There are several on you tube that explain on how to do this, I tend to do several. The more difficult the better. Do this often. Also try doing these breathing exercises while walking, it helps your lymphatic system drain what ever is in your lungs away.

hope this is helpful to some.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I haven't AFAIK contracted it.

In preparation, I bought zinc lozenges, zinc drops, O2 oximeter (this one passed guidelines, most don't: Contec CMS-50DL). If O2 saturation falls below maybe 90, contact your professional(s) or go to the hospital directly
Multivitamins
Vit. C
Vit. D (very important to fight off respiratory diseases)
Tylenol, ibuprofen and naproxen (but be advised, a fever helps fight off the pathogen, only take if fever's intensity becomes dangerous)
Thermometer(s)

If you do come down with it and have any difficulty breathing, do not rest/sleep on your back... it compresses your lungs. You will need lung power!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
going though this has been an experience and with that I would like to share a few things to help others that may be dealing with this as well.

Zinc lozenges - Makes it harder for the virus to bind to your hemoglobin, take then every couple hours
Apple Cider vinegar - 2 tables in liter of water and some honey to flavor. Tons of health benefits for taking this daily.
multi vitamins - take them, you need every bit of it to help your body fight.
high doses of vitamin C
sticking to an Anti inflammatory Diet - https://www.webmd.com/diet/anti-inflammatory-diet-road-to-good-health#1
Tylenol and ibuprofen to control the fever
Heppa air filter. Clean air is really important with a respiratory disease. I have several plus a whole house air filter.
Pulse Oximeter - Monitoring your o2 levels and ensure you are not dipping into the danger zone on this. If you are go to the ER right away. You will need oxygen.
Trace mineral Drops into water several times a day. - Again giving your body everything it needs to fight off the disease.
Breathing exercises. There are several on you tube that explain on how to do this, I tend to do several. The more difficult the better. Do this often. Also try doing these breathing exercises while walking, it helps your lymphatic system drain what ever is in your lungs away.

hope this is helpful to some.

From everything I've read, you don't want to reduce/control a fever unless it is dangerously high. Doing so will slow your immune response and lengthen your illness/symptoms.

Fever activates other parts of your immune response. Without that activation or with reduced activation it will take longer to eradicate the virus causing the illness. Not good and may also cause more inflammation/ARDS/Cytokine Storm from your immune system over-reacting in other ways.

It may be too late for you but I would add Vitamin D to the list. If there is any reason to believe you might be Vitamin D-deficient there is some evidence that taking a large dose as early as possible can help, since Vitamin D is needed for a proper immune response and regulates the parts that cause inflammation. Double-blind placebo-controlled clinical studies have shown that about 20% of respiratory infections in Vitamin D deficient people (most of us in the winter) can be prevented entirely by addressing the deficiency beforehand. Trials with high doses for early SARS-CoV-2 infections are under way.

Edit: Muse best me on both points. :)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
@Adul
Best wished for ya!

re: mask usage
I wear one going into stores & i see very few people not wearing them, so that's good. I'm pretty lax at work anymore though, as are most of my co-workers.
We only have 32 cases in the whole county here.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The powers that be are pretty good at making us believe things without directly lying to us. The flu vaccine has been right at 40% effective over the last 15 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine

I am not saying that you should not do your part and contribute to the herd immunity, but as an individual, you are accepting 100% of the risk of a vaccine gone bad for the benefit of it probably not protecting you.

Think if we were talking body armor or hard hats. Rated to prevent two out of five injuries. Probably not big sellers.
I wish people would stop comparing this to the flu vaccine. For the virus strains covered by a yearly flu vaccine, effectiveness would be much closer to 100% than "40%"

Flu mutates and recombines rapidly. They don't cover all strains with the yearly flu vaccine. Your flu shot is actually several vaccines. They have to guess which strains they think are spreading when they choose which ones to manufacture vaccines for. Sometimes they guess wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: dingster1

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Hope you pull through with no cytokine storm. An original ATer. Any other ATers come down with this? I've lost a little over 400 people I know from this :cry:

... I've lost a little over 400 people I know from this :cry:
Am I understanding you correctly?

How could you personally know "400" people who died from it? That would mean you personally know thousands or millions of people who recovered from it.

I only know ONE person who was confirmed to have it. A sister of my friend. I haven't seen her in 15+ years. She got it from church and recovered months ago.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I wish people would stop comparing this to the flu vaccine. For the virus strains covered by a yearly flu vaccine, effectiveness would be much closer to 100% than "40%"

Flu mutates and recombines rapidly. They don't cover all strains with the yearly flu vaccine. Your flu shot is actually several vaccines. They have to guess which strains they think are spreading when they choose which ones to manufacture vaccines for. Sometimes they guess wrong.

Yea, it's not a good comparison at all. This virus doesn't mutate rapidly in consequential ways and the S protein so far seems like a stable target. It is very likely we'll be able to create several effective vaccines but the chief question will be how durable is the immunity. Our immune systems don't have a great memory for coronaviruses AFAIK though they have found SARS antibodies in people more than a decade after infection.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

I should post this to every single idiot EVER on my Facebook who posts that stupid ass picture comparing a mask to a chain linked fence. I had to block actual family cause of all the stupid shit people are saying about the things Had family attacking me when i spoke up on mask usage even posting that same picture so fuck them so done. Go ahead, don't wear shit and catch it. Watch me have no empathy for you. Of course its not gonna protect you 100%. Its like a god damn condom, it reduces the risk but does not guarantee shit.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Am I understanding you correctly?

How could you personally know "400" people who died from it? That would mean you personally know thousands or millions of people who recovered from it.

I only know ONE person who was confirmed to have it. A sister of my friend. I haven't seen her in 15+ years. She got it from church and recovered months ago.
Yeah I work with patients who are COVID positive and if I include the patients and staff as "people I personally know" I'd still probably only be below 20 deaths. (And this is including patients that I've briefly come into contact with)

I'm calling bullshit on Dave's numbers there unless "people I personally know" includes "people whose names I've read on the internet".

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I should post this to every single idiot EVER on my Facebook who posts that stupid ass picture comparing a mask to a chain linked fence. I had to block actual family cause of all the stupid shit people are saying about the things Had family attacking me when i spoke up on mask usage even posting that same picture so fuck them so done. Go ahead, don't wear shit and catch it. Watch me have no empathy for you. Of course its not gonna protect you 100%. Its like a god damn condom, it reduces the risk but does not guarantee shit.
Unfortunately its them putting you at risk by them not wearing the masks. The idea is that it stops them shedding the virus all over the place if they are positive rather than stopping the virus entering your system.

Why exactly are people so against face covering anyway? Wear some weird camouflage tactical bandana if you're one of those types that camo makes you more comfortable!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Unfortunately its them putting you at risk by them not wearing the masks. The idea is that it stops them shedding the virus all over the place if they are positive rather than stopping the virus entering your system.

Why exactly are people so against face covering anyway? Wear some weird camouflage tactical bandana if you're one of those types that camo makes you more comfortable!

Yeah they work mostly as source control. There is a protective factor for a wearer but it's much smaller, though every bit helps.

Some Americans have turned mask wearing into a tribal political issue. Also add in stupidity from people who think the virus is hoax, that masks are somehow actively harmful, or just random Karen-ness of largely white women who go apoplectic if they're told what to do or not do (these same people who are always a nightmare in any customer service situation).

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Unfortunately its them putting you at risk by them not wearing the masks.

Exactly that is where it gets frustrating, the lack of consideration for others but honestly if one of these people wanna do the world a favor and catch it, sit isolated in a room by yourself and spare others while you die alone while contemplating the choice that lead you there that would be great.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It is fucking insane the things that are getting turned in partisan political footballs right now!

Wait till we have a vaccine(s) and prominent politicians start saying they give you AIDS or something. The antivaxxers, religious nuts, and psychotic partisans will form a bullshit Voltron of misinformation and death.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah I work with patients who are COVID positive and if I include the patients and staff as "people I personally know" I'd still probably only be below 20 deaths. (And this is including patients that I've briefly come into contact with)

I'm calling bullshit on Dave's numbers there unless "people I personally know" includes "people whose names I've read on the internet".

Dave is special. He even has to show ID to buy vinegar from supermarkets.

Last edited:

gill77

Aug 3, 2006

Are you asserting that covid does not mutate?

Nov 8, 2012
Wait till we have a vaccine(s) and prominent politicians start saying they give you AIDS or something. The antivaxxers, religious nuts, and psychotic partisans will form a bullshit Voltron of misinformation and death.

Well... in all honesty... with how quickly these are being rushed out (vs. previous vaccines that take literally years to develop)... Do you want to be first in line? Or wait it out another month if you don't have anywhere to go anyhow?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Funny thing is that theres probably a massive overlap in the people who think that vaccines will kill you and people who think that gargling with bleach is effective.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

Like this kind of death?

Honestly some christians need to start having some common sense if this happens to their pastors. They are NOT untouchable, people mocked the Titanic the same and look what happened. It sunk. History repeats itself, people said it was the end during the black plague too. Then the y2k bug, then during 2012.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well... in all honesty... with how quickly these are being rushed out (vs. previous vaccines that take literally years to develop)... Do you want to be first in line? Or wait it out another month if you don't have anywhere to go anyhow?

If the phase 3 safety and efficacy data looks good, yes. I'd be at the head of the line.

Even if something is approved in the last few months of the year they've been putting it in arms since the spring so another month or even a few probably isn't going to tell you anything about the safety profile that isn't already known. Most of the time savings is being realized by not pausing between trial phases, manufacturing at risk, and throwing a ton of cash at the effort.

Reactions: Ichinisan