NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 358 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Many states are starting to show an uptick in new cases. I don't know if this is due to better testing or if these are the first signs of the second wave?

Some of each depending on the state looks like. Hospitalization figures ticking up in a number of places and that's a clearer view of what's going on. Maybe not a wave though but potentially a wavelet.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
This is such a tricky thing. I have some friends who are anti-vaxxers because they simply don't think things through, but I also have some very intelligent friends who are STEM-type people who are anti-vaxxers because they think things through. One aspect is safety, another is personal freedom to choose. The problem is that if you want to live in a society, you also impose a risk to others through your personal choices, and choosing not to get vaccines means that you expose not just yourself, but also risk getting immune-compromised people sick. I mean, personally I'd love to have a COVID vaccine & get things back to normal as quickly as possible, but I also don't want to be part of a Thalidomide type of situation long-term either:

The powers that be are pretty good at making us believe things without directly lying to us. The flu vaccine has been right at 40% effective over the last 15 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine

I am not saying that you should not do your part and contribute to the herd immunity, but as an individual, you are accepting 100% of the risk of a vaccine gone bad for the benefit of it probably not protecting you.

Think if we were talking body armor or hard hats. Rated to prevent two out of five injuries. Probably not big sellers.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is ‘very rare,’ WHO says:

Wait no:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is ‘very rare,’ WHO says:

Wait no:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
The powers that be are pretty good at making us believe things without directly lying to us. The flu vaccine has been right at 40% effective over the last 15 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine

I am not saying that you should not do your part and contribute to the herd immunity, but as an individual, you are accepting 100% of the risk of a vaccine gone bad for the benefit of it probably not protecting you.

Think if we were talking body armor or hard hats. Rated to prevent two out of five injuries. Probably not big sellers.

Uhhhh
No, I don't think so gill. The wiki seems to be formatted and compiled with a slight nod toward flu vaccine being ineffective.
But, consider this minor detail, quoted from the link provided:

---------------------------
In the case of influenza, effectiveness is expected to be lower than the efficacy because it is measured using the rates of influenza-like illness, which is not always caused by influenza.[6] Influenza vaccines generally show high efficacy, as measured by the antibody production in animal models or vaccinated people.

It's a false measure from the beginning because "effectiveness" is, for some unfathomably brilliant reason I'm sure, comparing the idea of getting a vaccine against influenza with its apparent effectiveness against every fucking pathogen that causes "flu-like symptoms" ???? We're not vaccinating against symptoms lol we're vaccinating against a singular pathogen (or perhaps a few variants of said pathogen).

What a bullshit data point.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Uhhhh
No, I don't think so gill. The wiki seems to be formatted and compiled with a slight nod toward flu vaccine being ineffective.
But, consider this minor detail, quoted from the link provided:

In the case of influenza, effectiveness is expected to be lower than the efficacy because it is measured using the rates of influenza-like illness, which is not always caused by influenza.[6] Influenza vaccines generally show high efficacy, as measured by the antibody production in animal models or vaccinated people.

It's a false measure from the beginning because "effectiveness" is, for some unfathomably brilliant reason I'm sure, comparing the idea of getting a vaccine against influenza with its apparent effectiveness against every fucking pathogen that causes "flu-like symptoms" ???? We're not vaccinating against symptoms lol we're vaccinating against a singular pathogen (or perhaps a few variants of said pathogen).

What a bullshit data point.

So a slight nod turns into a bullshit data point, ok.

Let's hear your prediction as to the effectiveness of the vaccine, if and when it is deployed.

We can weigh your parsing of the results that are published and seem to flip flop almost on a daily basis. Hard to see how that can provide better guidance than 15 years of hard data, but you seem to be the expert in non-bullshit data points.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the effectiveness of the vaccine should perhaps be known within months. If it takes years or decades, it becomes a moot point.

By definition, the only thing we will not know soon is the long term side effects of any vaccine.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I can't read past the paywall. Once phase 3 is complete, will they start giving the vaccinations to everyone?

Not everyone at first due to limited supply. People at high risk (healthcare workers, transportation workers, government services, etc) will be first up. Seems possible that 10s of millions could be dosed by year end if one or more proves out relatively quickly. Rest of the country possibly by earlyish 2021.

In the meantime more treatments should come online by the fall that make the virus easier to live with until then.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Not everyone at first due to limited supply. People at high risk (healthcare workers, transportation workers, government services, etc) will be first up. Seems possible that 10s of millions could be dosed by year end if one or more proves out relatively quickly. Rest of the country possibly by earlyish 2021.

In the meantime more treatments should come online by the fall that make the virus easier to live with until then.

Awesome, thanks. Here's hoping all three vaccines make it through clinical trials.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
I can't read past the paywall. Once phase 3 is complete, will they start giving the vaccinations to everyone?
First rich countries, then rich people in developing countries, then middle class, then poor. So middle class and poor will probably have to wait long time before getting vaccine.

Nov 8, 2012
Adds to the growing body of indications that masks could indeed be a rather effective intervention:

Wait, wut? They are using measures of people who potentially got it from a specific hair-cutting brand?

if someone is getting haircuts, they are likely going "out and about" to all kinds of places. How 2-weeks later people can say "It came from the haircut place" is beyond me.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
First rich countries, then rich people in developing countries, then middle class, then poor. So middle class and poor will probably have to wait long time before getting vaccine.
Will you take that entitled BS somewhere else? He was merely asking if that's when vaccinations start. His question had nothing to do with your ridiculous politics and was not inviting that response. This is not the thread for it anyway. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2012
Will you take that entitled BS somewhere else? He was merely asking if that's when vaccinations start. His question had nothing to do with your ridiculous politics and was not inviting that response. This is not the thread for it anyway. Thanks.

That - and

1. After the ACA - any preventative type of medication is covered. Thus, vaccines (I don't believe?) aren't charged
2. I honestly don't want to be one of the first. I'd rather a first massive sampling pool take it - and then see if any complications or anything occurs - since of all vaccinations, this is going to be quickly rushed out the door.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Sorry i dont understand how its political. Vaccines aren't going to be free and obviously people who have more money will get it first.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Wait, wut? They are using measures of people who potentially got it from a specific hair-cutting brand?

if someone is getting haircuts, they are likely going "out and about" to all kinds of places. How 2-weeks later people can say "It came from the haircut place" is beyond me.

That is likely referencing the case where 2 hair stylists worked multiple days at a Great Clips and tested positive for covid. My recollection is that at least one of them was symptomatic during the days worked. They are saying that none of the 140 people that came in contact with them there have subsequently tested positive.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
And let's not forget the recent holiday weekend...

If that's the reason, just wait. School lets out this week, and people will be traveling all over the place for summer vacations.

That said, school is mostly online right now, so I don't know why you couldn't leave early and have the kids keep up with lessons in the car or hotel room.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That is likely referencing the case where 2 hair stylists worked multiple days at a Great Clips and tested positive for covid. My recollection is that at least one of them was symptomatic during the days worked. They are saying that none of the 140 people they came in contact with them there have subsequently tested positive.

Yes, this.

Research out of Cambridge now also pointing in the mask direction.

Widespread mask-wearing could prevent COVID-19 second waves: study

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ent-covid-19-second-waves-study-idUSKBN23G37V

In this study, researchers linked the dynamics of spread between people with population-level models to assess the effect on the disease’s reproduction rate, or R value, of different scenarios of mask adoption combined with periods of lockdown.

The R value measures the average number of people that one infected person will pass the disease on to. An R value above 1 can lead to exponential growth.

The study found that if people wear masks whenever they are in public it is twice as effective at reducing the R value than if masks are only worn after symptoms appear.

In all scenarios the study looked at, routine face mask use by 50% or more of the population reduced COVID-19 spread to an R of less than 1.0, flattening future disease waves and allowing for less stringent lockdowns

Nov 8, 2012
That is likely referencing the case where 2 hair stylists worked multiple days at a Great Clips and tested positive for covid. My recollection is that at least one of them was symptomatic during the days worked. They are saying that none of the 140 people that came in contact with them there have subsequently tested positive.

Ahhh thanks - that makes more sense... When it said "140+ Great Clips Exposures" I thought they were referring to 140 locations that had exposure to people.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
edit: .PJFrylar best me to it.

I think it's fairly convincing anecdotal evidence for the efficacy of masks.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Sorry i dont understand how its political. Vaccines aren't going to be free and obviously people who have more money will get it first.
Yes, obviously.

...but bemoaning class economics is political for a question about what other steps remain before a vaccine release (whether for rich or poor). For all we know he could be upper-class and ready to pay top dollar for it which would ultimately accelerate roll-out to the poor and middle class.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
If that's the reason, just wait. School lets out this week, and people will be traveling all over the place for summer vacations.

That said, school is mostly online right now, so I don't know why you couldn't leave early and have the kids keep up with lessons in the car or hotel room.
School gets out before Memorial Day here.
I guess the people travelling will deserve whatever they get, but it will suck if they spread it to places that have lower infection rates.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm getting tested at 130pm pst today. No real symptoms, but I've had a cough since Jan. due to almonds blooming. Seems to have gotten a little worse since I returned to work, and I actually stopped taking allergy meds since I've returned, so I'm about 98% sure it's just that. More curious than anything. We'll see how it goes.