NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 342 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Latest news. S. Korea has one school shuts down because at least one student tests positive for the virus. India has more cases plus the typhoon. Singapore is still battling the virus over 29K cases.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The one thing that I just shake my head at is when people try to compare COVID-19 fatalitties to other diseases. Heart disease, cancer, type 2 kill more than Covid-19. I'm sure everyone here has heard that argument. I had a guy who pumps my gas (NJ) try to tell me about those facts. Yes, they take more lives but heart disease takes decades. Same with most cancers and type 2 diabetes. They normally take decades to form. A virus like Covis-19 can kill you within weeks. It's comparing apples to oranges.

I had another guy who pumps my gas tell me that this is all a hoax, and that the numbers are being fudged so hospitals can aquire more funding. He then went on and on a bout a doctor who comes into the gas station to get gas, and the doctor told him that the dead are all being classified as having COVID-19. Even people who died from car accidents, home accidents, etc. Everyone is being wrongly classified as dying from Covid-19. lolz. Where do these people come from?

Nov 8, 2012
Victoria's secret closing 250+ stores permanently. Bath and body works another 50.

Hate to break it to folks, but these unemployment numbers are permanent.

They aren't coming back anytime in the next 3+ years.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Victoria's secret closing 250+ stores permanently. Bath and body works another 50.

Hate to break it to folks, but these unemployment numbers are permanent.

They aren't coming back anytime in the next 3+ years.

Like I said a few months ago, this is going to change the world. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: Ichinisan

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah this is going to be bad long term for jobs. Lot of companies instead of just sending people home without pay temporarily are just outright laying off.

I'm just so thankful I still have my job since it's essential service. I don't even know what I would do if I lost my job at this point. Not like I could sell the house right now. The $2000/mo CERB payments aren't enough to pay all the bills. Property taxes alone would kill me, and city would take the house so I would lose out on even trying to sell it.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
How much money do you have with Chase? They treat their investment level bankers much better, but obviously typically requires you keep a lot more money with them. I've also heard they treat folks who have mortgages better as well.

If you just have a standard checking/savings account, they will charge you for checks. They will charge you for stuff like a money order. They will charge you for pretty much anything that isn't depositing money into your account.
Right now I have about $8500 which I don't think is a lot of money. Their only requirement that I can even remember at this point is $500 or $1k in savings.

It's basically the account I keep for all of my bills plus a little extra. Anything over goes to online-only banks. But through Chase, I have free online bill pay and mobile check deposits. I've done money orders with no fees there too, it was the way I put deposits on vehicles for a little bit, so I'm not sure why you had fees unless you weren't a customer?

EDIT:
I just remembered I also have a CC with them which may help making some things free. But it's a 5% rotating categories card that I use yearly when it lines up to things I'm buying.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Fauci was on tv a bit ago and said the Moderna vaccine could be ready for deployment as early as December if all goes well. Seemed very happy with initial results. Full results will be published in a couple weeks.

I'm increasingly optimistic that we will not only get a vaccine but we will get several, which is what's required for a rapid exit from this crisis. Harvard recently reported success with DNA based prototype vaccines in animal testing. The virus, while damaging, is fortunately not proving very elusive to a range of approaches.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Has anyone flown nationally during this whole ordeal or the past week or so? I'm curious what the experience has been like if anyone has.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Has anyone flown nationally during this whole ordeal or the past week or so? I'm curious what the experience has been like if anyone has.
From all the safety emails I'm getting from Delta, JetBlue, and others, it's sounds like it's the safest and best time to fly domestic right now. They're all promising empty middle seat or the option to take next flight if not. TSA lines are super short and boarding is super quick. Sounds like win-win if you have to fly.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Huge retrospective study indicates no benefit from hydroxycholoroquine, details elevated heart risks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/22/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-study/

For those given hydroxychloroquine, there was a 34 percent increase in risk of mortality and a 137 percent increased risk of a serious heart arrhythmias. For those receiving hydroxychloroquine and an antibiotic — the cocktail endorsed by Trump — there was a 45 percent increased risk of death and a 411 percent increased risk of serious heart arrhythmias.

Those given chloroquine had a 37 percent increased risk of death and a 256 percent increased risk of serious heart arrhythmias. For those taking chloroquine and an antibiotic, there was a 37 percent increased risk of death and a 301 percent increased risk of serious heart arrhythmias.

The FDA should probably withdraw the emergency use authorization but I guess that might upset some in the administration who are intent on selling this as an option.

Nov 8, 2012
Right now I have about $8500 which I don't think is a lot of money. Their only requirement that I can even remember at this point is $500 or $1k in savings.

It's basically the account I keep for all of my bills plus a little extra. Anything over goes to online-only banks. But through Chase, I have free online bill pay and mobile check deposits. I've done money orders with no fees there too, it was the way I put deposits on vehicles for a little bit, so I'm not sure why you had fees unless you weren't a customer?

EDIT:
I just remembered I also have a CC with them which may help making some things free. But it's a 5% rotating categories card that I use yearly when it lines up to things I'm buying.

Yeah dude - you're getting away with murder or something because there is undoubtedly fees on all of those things (well, not for Billpay... every bank has billpay).

Fee for Money Orders is $5 unless you have a "premier" account - which requires much higher balance (or they charge you a fee for that as well): https://www.gobankingrates.com/banking/checking-account/how-much-chase-money-order/

Fee for ordering checks is ~$20 it looks like, more if you "design" your own checks: https://www.uponarriving.com/Chase-order-checks/

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
From all the safety emails I'm getting from Delta, JetBlue, and others, it's sounds like it's the safest and best time to fly domestic right now. They're all promising empty middle seat or the option to take next flight if not. TSA lines are super short and boarding is super quick. Sounds like win-win if you have to fly.

From what I've seen online airlines are filling the middle seat if there is demand and with limited flights the next one doesn't seem to be much of an option. Realistically universally requiring masks is probably more helpful though.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah dude - you're getting away with murder or something because there is undoubtedly fees on all of those things (well, not for Billpay... every bank has billpay).

Fee for Money Orders is $5 unless you have a "premier" account - which requires much higher balance (or they charge you a fee for that as well): https://www.gobankingrates.com/banking/checking-account/how-much-chase-money-order/

Fee for ordering checks is ~$20 it looks like, more if you "design" your own checks: https://www.uponarriving.com/Chase-order-checks/
Well I haven't need checks in quite some time, potentially it's changed since I last did it. Same for money orders. I do recall qualifying for these free things I had to due with some combination of checkings + savings + cc with a minimum balance between checkings & savings.

But yeah, only thing I can recall paying a fee for was for my wire transfer when buying a house, which I was not overly thrilled about... but for having been with them 12 years and not having fees for everything else I've done with them, I won't complain.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Heck I'm a super luddite (ironic considering my career) but I write 1 to 2 checks a year.

At this point I would request they be made out of goat skin given how long they last.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm guessing airports are pretty quiet right now. I remember getting back to IAD on March 16th and it was eerily quiet, and this was before shit hit the fan.

And it's not a "have" to fly. We are considering hitting up the Keys one last time next month before our son is born in August. We've talked to the docs about it and they said if we do just take normal precautions. But we're still not definite about it or anything, in the research phase. It will be a 2 hour flight to FLL so it's not a long flight.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I'm guessing airports are pretty quiet right now. I remember getting back to IAD on March 16th and it was eerily quiet, and this was before shit hit the fan.

And it's not a "have" to fly. We are considering hitting up the Keys one last time next month before our son is born in August. We've talked to the docs about it and they said if we do just take normal precautions. But we're still not definite about it or anything, in the research phase. It will be a 2 hour flight to FLL so it's not a long flight.
I don't know about now, but last month air travel was in the single digits of normal (i.e. under 10%). It's a bit counter-intuitive but IIRC airborne pathogens don't circulate on airplanes readily. Has something to do with the way the air systems are designed; hopefully I didn't fall for fake news. :)

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Hairstylist exposes 91 people to COVID-19. She was asymptomatic, showed no signs. We are going to see more of these cases as more places start to open up. I also doubt if we will have a second closing of states. Our economy just can't take a second round, so I'm sure more sick people, and more fatalities.

Nov 8, 2012
We aren't likely to get all we want from covid-19 vaccines:

Given the timeframe of where we had nothing to what we have now (2 months later) that's going to be a "No shit Sherlock".

People are drastically over-estimating the complexities of vaccines apparently.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hairstylist exposes 91 people to COVID-19. She was asymptomatic, showed no signs. We are going to see more of these cases as more places start to open up. I also doubt if we will have a second closing of states. Our economy just can't take a second round, so I'm sure more sick people, and more fatalities.

The article you linked (even in your unfurled post) says stylist was "symptomatic," not asymptomatic. Not that it necessarily matters a lot. I heard yesterday that 30-40% of spreaders ARE asymptomatic.

The question of will or won't we have a 2nd wave of closings will be somewhat dependent on the nature of 2nd wave of infections, obviously. If the curves swing up there can and in many cases should be measures taken. I think the discussion has made room for this idea and I anticipate we're going to see it happening. Restrictions tightening in some places at times. The fact is, people aren't going to be shocked when this happens. There will be gnashing of teeth, protests, complaining, grousing, discussions, adjustments.

Look what's happening in Brazil, Mexico City. I saw on network news last night. They can't dig the graves fast enough in Brazil. The president doesn't believe in social distancing! That guy isn't worth the shit coming out his ass.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We aren't likely to get all we want from covid-19 vaccines:

We'll see. Exposing animals to a viral load that nobody will encounter in the real world after one jab of a likely two dose vaccine doesn't seem to indicate that it's a certainty sterilization can't be achieved. The first few vaccines will probably be stopgaps anyway with something else designed for long term broad use, likely orally delivered.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
US plans huge vaccine trials this summer. Moderna and Oxford vaccines going first.

U.S. plans massive coronavirus vaccine testing effort to meet year-end deadline

Candidates that demonstrate safety in small early studies will be tested in huge trials of 20,000 to 30,000 subjects for each vaccine, slated to start in July.

Between 100,000 and 150,000 people may be enrolled in the studies, said Dr. Larry Corey, a vaccine expert at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle, who is helping design the trials. “If you don’t see a safety problem, you just keep going,” Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), told Reuters. The vaccine effort is part of a public-private partnership called Accelerating COVID-19 Therapeutic Interventions and Vaccines (ACTIV) announced last month.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ffort-to-meet-year-end-deadline-idUSKBN22Y2L3

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hope a vaccine does come out and works, but also I don't think we should hold our breath. There was never one for SARS. I think they were close but never got it working and the virus died off before.

I still say they need to create region bubbles where no one can enter or exit except for product transportation. You can at least start the economy back up in regions that have no new cases for 14 days, and as more are clear they can start combining to allow travel between each other. Eventually you'll have only the big cities that have lot of cases and everyone else will be back to normal, and with no one going in the big cities they too will eventually be able to clear up.

My health unit's region is at around 9 days without a case now. Most people here have kinda started to cheat social distancing a little. We still are diligent just not doing the full blown isolation anymore. It's also nice out now and after like 9 months of winter people just need to get out and see family.