NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 297 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
lol fancy that - the state that can't handle the large amount of unemployment the most is... *spins a wheel*... Florida

California and Texas haven't processed 2/3 of their claims

New York has about 30% of their claims still pending

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Why the F would people be quick to return to restaurants? Sitting in an enclosed room with a bunch of staff and strangers, mask-less because you're consuming food and drink. Even if local health departments mandate fewer tables/chairs, quite simply social distancing and dining out are mutually exclusive. IMO restaurants will be hurting until herd immunity and a vaccine are widespread.

There have been a bunch of pics out of China on twitter about what their restaurants look like now and its no more than 50% of tables/seats used and dividers up all over the place. Demand for dine in still appears pretty light even though they've largely beaten this back.

I personally don't go to the movie theater, but I'd argue that's a safer venue. Much larger enclosed space, and the operator can strictly enforce a no mask, no entry policy. I doubt people will flock back to the movie theaters either, but it can be done relatively safely and there's still a broad (if shrinking) swath of Americans who enjoy the big screen experience.

One of the few industries that can get by at 20% capacity. As far as entertainment this is probably one of the safer options since most cinemas use reserved seating now and a lot have already put in recliners which puts more space between people and they're cleanable.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
lol fancy that - the state that can't handle the large amount of unemployment the most is... *spins a wheel*... Florida

California and Texas haven't processed 2/3 of their claims

New York has about 30% of their claims still pending

I've been trying to call the Texas hotline for the past week and it's constantly busy no matter whenever you call.

Can't show up on the unemployment claim numbers if you can't file a claim in the first place. *smart head tap gif*

Nov 8, 2012
I've been trying to call the Texas hotline for the past week and it's constantly busy no matter whenever you call.

Can't show up on the unemployment claim numbers if you can't file a claim in the first place. *smart head tap gif*

I'm so glad I took my paid parental leave when I did in mid-March.

Just hope I don't get back in June and they are like lol were laying you off now.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
100% hope that their cases decrease & life can go back to normal sooner rather than later. It just seems a little premature to open stuff like movie theaters.

If they really want to start opening up, the correct thing to do is roll out swab tests en masse.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
You have more faith in the "social distancing" actually working than I do. I mean, I personally had a respiratory illness that could have been COVID-19 back in early February, but they had no testing available for it back then. They tested me for the flu, but that came back negative. Same with my daughter, who also got whatever I had. If my daughter and I did have the disease, we probably personally unwittingly spread it to hundreds of people all over Connecticut long before the lockdown occurred. All you need is a few more stories like mine, and you may have had tens of thousands infected who don't know it yet.
I caught something in mid-March that lasted maybe 1 week. My throat and sinuses felt a little strange, but I never felt sore or anything. Then it went away completely and I was feeling 100% fine.

My brother caught something shortly after I did. He never really felt terrible either (though maybe felt it a little more than I did).

I got my flu shot last year. I checked and it was the same flu shot they currently give (the most recent strains with available vaccines).

Both of us were very aware of the virus and taking extra precautions the entire time. What are the chances that, even with extra precautions, we both caught something LESS contagious than this ultra-contagious virus? The more I think about it, the more I believe it was SARS-CoV-2 (without progressing to the full-on "COVID-19" illness). Of course a hypochondriac would say the same, but I really want the antibody test.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I had the same thing.... And just for reference, early to mid-february was when everything (globally) was still acting normal. I was flying for business, etc..

So if outbreaks started in january, and people have been spreading it on things like non-ventilated airplanes (similar K1052s cruise ship analogy) then it has simply been spreading like wildfire ever since.

So 1 person on a plane, spreads it to a huge batch on the plane, those people take it home or to work the next day...

Then tons of infected get on subsequent flights, connecting flights, etc...

The whole thing of "first cases" when we first started fearmongering in mid-march makes me laugh if people honestly believe that it hadn't been all over the place since February.
I've considered this a likely scenario all along. I was in Thailand for all of January until February 15. As case numbers were being released, I always dismissed that as undre-reporting because there's no way every single case happened to get tested and listed as a "confirmed case" that early on. When there was barely 14 "confirmed" cases in Thailand, I assumed there were already thousands of cases.

My friend and I used a scooter ride service to get to a park one day. My driver kept turning his head to cough over his shoulder - directly into my face. In a country where it's normal to wear a face mask in public even when there's no pandemic, you still see people who just don't give a shit.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I am somewhat curious to see what level of activity resumes in Georgia just because the gov says its ok. I think it's going to be pretty limited as people and businesses make their own judgements about the relative safety of the movement.
LOTS of businesses have already failed due to the shut-downs, so it's still going to be an economic malaise.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
100% hope that their cases decrease & life can go back to normal sooner rather than later. It just seems a little premature to open stuff like movie theaters.
I've read that Sweden has had almost no restrictions at all. I wonder if their movie theaters stayed open? Probably some voluntarily closed. I think movie distributors are holding back releases or skipping theaters and sending them straight to VOD, so there are probably no new films for theaters to show.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Someone set this up in my city, thought it was a cool gesture in these trying times.

z49gTKA.jpg

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
If they really want to start opening up, the correct thing to do is roll out swab tests en masse.

I think what they really need are antibody tests, to tell if people already had it. Or a combination of the active swab & antibody tests, to see if you currently have it and/or did have it already. Assuming that you can't get it again, that is. A lot of people could be going back to work if they were asymptomatic & got it over it & just don't know it yet!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think what they really need are antibody tests, to tell if people already had it. Or a combination of the active swab & antibody tests, to see if you currently have it and/or did have it already. Assuming that you can't get it again, that is. A lot of people could be going back to work if they were asymptomatic & got it over it & just don't know it yet!

The CDC doesn't seem to be all that big on the antibody tests, since they think that people can get reinfected and/or continue to carry the virus after they recover. Some tests in South Korea seem to show that, anyway.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I've read that Sweden has had almost no restrictions at all. I wonder if their movie theaters stayed open? Probably some voluntarily closed. I think movie distributors are holding back releases or skipping theaters and sending them straight to VOD, so there are probably no new films for theaters to show.

From what I've read, they're just doing voluntarily what the rest of the world is doing by requirement. Also, I think the United States has more risk factors - obesity, diabetes, etc. The problem is that scientists don't agree that Sweden's approach is actually working:

Plus there's this:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
The CDC doesn't seem to be all that big on the antibody tests, since they think that people can get reinfected and/or continue to carry the virus after they recover. Some tests in South Korea seem to show that, anyway.

Yeah, I'm curious to see if it's an actual re-infection, like through a mutation, or just a remission period. Either way blows chunks. There's just so much we don't know yet.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
From what I've read, they're just doing voluntarily what the rest of the world is doing by requirement. Also, I think the United States has more risk factors - obesity, diabetes, etc. The problem is that scientists don't agree that Sweden's approach is actually working:

Plus there's this:

On the flip side, once everyone in Sweden has been infected they don't need to worry about quarantining anymore. It's a pretty shitty way to do it, but they'll probably recover faster than New York will.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
On the flip side, once everyone in Sweden has been infected they don't need to worry about quarantining anymore.

Yeah, and realistically that's just one of the (horrible) options we have to look at.

I feel so bad for NYC. They just crossed 10,000 deaths. Incredibly awful :(

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
woah didn't realize NYC was THAT bad. Those hospitals must be nuts right now, probably worse than Italy.

I feel for all the healthcare workers it must be incredibly draining.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Sweden has some cultural factors in its favor. Namely a huge percentage of adults are single and live alone, so essentially they socially distance for much of the day. Although bars and restaurants are open for business, I believe that generally Swedes are educated enough to know you don't need the government to compel you to do what's prudent (kind of the opposite of MAGA). Having said that, they do have more confirmed cases than Scandinavian peers, so it's still unclear whether their herd immunity strategy is working out well (as Kaido references above).

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Oh understand this - I'm not justifying it. I'm just telling you that Americans are fat and lazy, and having other people cook them stuff battered in 6 sticks of butter is practically our way of life. If restaurants are allowed to serve again, plenty will start having a decent sized crowd that same week. I guarantee it.
Don't forget the bars too.