NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 293 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ClarkGriswold

Apr 19, 2020
We don't know that there is any seasonality to this but there is for other respiratory viruses including flu and other coronaviruses. I heard that SARS-CoV-2 was shedding 10,000x the viral load of typical respiratory viruses or something like that, so it's possible that UV will not have as much of an effect even with the same half-life under UV just because so many more infectious agents remain. We just have to wait and see and hope while watching the southern hemisphere closely.

Thanks. That’s a scary proposition to think about if this remains in full swing like it is without ever letting up.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
not that i care i really dont want the 4400$ check they are suppose to send, id rather just use it for a credit against what i owe next year.
Payment Status Not Available
According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

Yeah i get the same exact but i know its coming, good things come to those who wait :) Got plans for pc rebuild and won't be done with 3 year overhaul on upgrades till june prob. I can wait from now till then i got no issues. Can still do a major upgrade to cpu/mobo/ram in May anyways then the check just allows like a 2080ti to land in my rig. I would call that a blessing but the 2080ti isn't ABSOLUTELY needed, its more of a want then a need. I could even wait for Ampere, i will let the universe sort it out :)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Yeah i get the same exact but i know its coming, good things come to those who wait :) Got plans for pc rebuild and won't be done with 3 year overhaul on upgrades till june prob. I can wait from now till then i got no issues. Can still do a major upgrade to cpu/mobo/ram in May anyways then the check just allows like a 2080ti to land in my rig. I would call that a blessing but the 2080ti isn't ABSOLUTELY needed, its more of a want then a need. I could even wait for Ampere, i will let the universe sort it out :)
you are funny, you cant afford the parts now so you are going to blow the money on computer parts when you get it!!?!?!? why not pay off some debt or buy some stocks :) the new 4000 series sure looks good and we all have been waiting patiently so long for it. 2080ti sounds amazing but really the 1080ti i have been using for many years is just fine ;/ ((dont even play games often :( )) as far as the check im guessing it will co me in the mail since i didnt efile and mail in my taxes every year and also dont use direct deposit since i never get a refund anyway :p

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You may have noticed that they were trying to keep a limited supply available to healthcare workers. Also, the Surgeon General is not responsible for the mask mandates in NY or NJ.
i like how everyone claims it was because of the limited supply for health workers, do you think healthworkers buy their n95 at homedepot? they get them from a different supply chain all together. i have been saying for everyone to wear masks for months now and finally they implemented it at work being mandatory, HOWEVER most people wear them around their neck or ontop of their head ;( makes me frustrated but i contiinue to wear mine properly with n95 and surgical over it rotating them out each day. my biggest issue is how do you eat while wearing a mask or where do you eat at the same time as others entering the room wishing to do the same. i have started going to the supply room to eat with out my mask on :p or putting it on when someone else comes in and finishing my meal some other time.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
you are funny, you cant afford the parts now so you are going to blow the money on computer parts when you get it!!?!?!? why not pay off some debt or buy some stocks :)

Cause i got plenty of funds at that particular time?

Edit: sent message, remember what i posted in there i mean it too.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
i like how everyone claims it was because of the limited supply for health workers, do you think healthworkers buy their n95 at homedepot? they get them from a different supply chain all together.

If a hospital administrator goes to the supplier and offers a markup over what Home Depot is offering to put product on their shelves, you'd better believe the hospital administrator is going to cut into the existing supply. What do you think happened to a lot of the N95 masks back in January? Chinese suppliers were buying them up for their own people.

Reactions: CZroe

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How can I check on a rebate?

The relief package that created the recovery rebates directs the IRS to mail rebate notices to individual taxpayers no later than 15 days after distributing a rebate. The notice must detail how the rebate was paid (electronic payment or paper check, for example), the amount of the rebate and a phone number to call if the taxpayer didn’t receive the payment.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
i like how everyone claims it was because of the limited supply for health workers, do you think healthworkers buy their n95 at homedepot? they get them from a different supply chain all together. i have been saying for everyone to wear masks for months now and finally they implemented it at work being mandatory, HOWEVER most people wear them around their neck or ontop of their head ;( makes me frustrated but i contiinue to wear mine properly with n95 and surgical over it rotating them out each day. my biggest issue is how do you eat while wearing a mask or where do you eat at the same time as others entering the room wishing to do the same. i have started going to the supply room to eat with out my mask on or putting it on when someone else comes in and finishing my meal some other time.
The Chinese were buying up from American medical suppliers too. Think about it: Why would they stop at Amazon? If you look back to my January posts you will see that I pointed out they were gone from Amazon and medical suppliers BEFORE they were gone at home improvement stores and contractor suppliers.

Not realizing this, Zinfamous even said he would just order another box from Amazon should his workplace run out (I think he works in a lab of some kind). Yes, even professional labs and doctor's offices often order from Amazon.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
The Chinese were buying up from American medical suppliers too. Think about it: Why would they stop at Amazon? If you look back to my January posts you will see that I pointed out they were gone from Amazon and medical suppliers BEFORE they were gone at home improvement stores and contractor suppliers.

Not realizing this, Zinfamous even said he would just order another box from Amazon should his workplace run out (I think he works in a lab of some kind). Yes, even professional labs and doctor's offices often order from Amazon.
maybe super small scale operations order from amazon but no hospital on earth orders from amazon, they have to go to approved vendors. The hospitals should have had a supply of reusable respirators or n95 masks before this hit. i was referring to the average person purchasing a mask to wear not people hording or reshipping thousands of them obviously as those people dont go by cdc recommendations anyway

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Man i wish i was loaded, i would love to make masks for the masses themed around sci fi and other various things complete with optional costumes. I would walk into a wal mart looking like darth vader. Why the heck not, it may inspire more people to wear them and if they get a laugh out of the thing at least someone laughed during a time like this.

I saw a mask on etsy that was themed around the alien queen from aliens.....sold out of course. They have other reusable clothe masks with all kinds of themes, thinking i will order one when my stimulus comes in then donate my new in plastic kn95 to idk who yet.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
maybe super small scale operations order from amazon but no hospital on earth orders from amazon, they have to go to approved vendors. The hospitals should have had a supply of reusable respirators or n95 masks before this hit. i was referring to the average person purchasing a mask to wear not people hording or reshipping thousands of them obviously as those people dont go by cdc recommendations anyway
I'm sure many clinics and labs do. Most of these places, hospitals included, have been readily accepting donations of NIOSH-certified N95 respirators. It's kinda why the certification exists.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Man i wish i was loaded, i would love to make masks for the masses themed around sci fi and other various things complete with optional costumes. I would walk into a wal mart looking like darth vader. Why the heck not, it may inspire more people to wear them and if they get a laugh out of the thing at least someone laughed during a time like this.

I saw a mask on etsy that was themed around the alien queen from aliens.....sold out of course. They have other reusable clothe masks with all kinds of themes, thinking i will order one when my stimulus comes in then donate my new in plastic kn95 to idk who yet.
Get a 3D printer. I have three and there's no shortage of people showing off Bane respirators and Mortal Kombat masks and such on 3D printing groups.

• Love
Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Get a 3D printer. I have three and there's no shortage of people showing off Bane respirators and Mortal Kombat masks and such on 3D printing groups.

Yeah i might, i haven't considered one till now. Not a bad idea in fact, prob after i do the overhaul to my computer. I assume they cost a pretty penny.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yeah i might, i haven't considered one till now. Not a bad idea in fact, prob after i do the overhaul to my computer. I assume they cost a pretty penny.
I paid around $375 for my oversized Creality CR-10 printer and $180 each for my two Creality Ender 3 printers. I've never printed anything that requires the extra build area of the CR-10 and the Ender 3 has a much faster and more responsive bed heater.

$180 Ender 3 is a no-brainer. With a huge community for upgrades, support, and troubleshooting, it's the value king!

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I paid around $375 for my oversized Creality CR-10 printer and $180 each for my two Creality Ender 3 printers. I've never printed anything that requires the extra build area of the CR-10 and the Ender 3 has a much faster and more responsive bed heater.

$180 Ender 3 is a no-brainer. With a huge community for upgrades, support, and troubleshooting, it's the value king!

Would be another entirely new realm of technology i never got into, thanks for the reference and suggestion. I only done gaming/folding/email marketing/casual forum visits so i got a feeling this may be a bit more advanced then i am used to doing on a computer. I think you prob need to learn software to design the things to print? I prob need to read and watch things involving it. By the time i buy who knows, maybe even a better model? Thinking June most my free hobby cash going right into my indica/pc till end of June at least. I will add a 3d printer to the list.

Oh any links for these masks and stuff by chance? I would wear the Bane one in a second, i always loved the idea of the League of Shadows, well right till Bruce was asked to kill the thief for his initiation.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Imagine being in a space station when the zombie apocalypse happens on Earth but you eventually have to come back down anyway:

Kimmie may not be doing too well:

Google and Apple team up and use Bluetooth LE beacons to provide anonymized opt-in contact tracing, presumably without empowering Big Brother:
https://youtu.be/b7dxCRm5t5g

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Would be another entirely new realm of technology i never got into, thanks for the reference and suggestion. I only done gaming/folding/email marketing/casual forum visits so i got a feeling this may be a bit more advanced then i am used to doing on a computer. I think you prob need to learn software to design the things to print? I prob need to read and watch things involving it. By the time i buy who knows, maybe even a better model? Thinking June most my free hobby cash going right into my indica/pc till end of June at least. I will add a 3d printer to the list.

Oh any links for these masks and stuff by chance? I would wear the Bane one in a second, i always loved the idea of the League of Shadows, well right till Bruce was asked to kill the thief for his initiation.
Thingiverse.com

Edit: PM'd these links to themed COIVD masks on Thingiverse earlier...
Immortan Joe mask from Mad Max Fury Road:

Facehugger mask from Alien (legs print separately):

Bane from The Dark Night Rises (Batman):

All of these were meant to be functional for use against COVID-19. I even see things like Bane "mask caps" that are meant to fit on top of other designs that have been approved for medical use. It's incredibly active, and that's just ONE community (TinkerCAD, GitHub, PrusaPrinters, and many others are sharing stuff too).

Setup and maintenance can be fiddly but if you have your printer and slicing software setup and dialed in you mostly just download, slice, and print. Usually no modeling required since there's a good chance that whatever you want to model has already been done by someone.

Slicing software converts the 3D model into "GCode" that tells your printer how to print it layer by layer. Most people just pick/download a profile for their printer and the slicer just takes that along with the 3D model and spits out a file ready to go for your printer.

Surprisingly already-available things: A wide selection of obscure battery doors.

I bought an old SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color handheld game system when I was in Japan (similar to Game Boy Color). It was sold as "junk" because it was missing the battery door for the coin cell battery. There were three on Thingiverse with both the coin cell battery door and the main battery door.

My friend showed up one day with his DirecTV remote that was missing the battery door. Someone had already modeled and uploaded a replacement. We watched a movie while it printed.

Someone I knew on a forum needed a battery door for his Nintendo Game & Watch. It was already there. I printed it and dropped it in the mail.

Though I didn't need them, I've also found/printed doors for the Wavebird Wireless Controller and the expansion door on a Nintendo 64.

It isn't all battery doors, of course. A random example:
I needed a way to mount my phone to my Velbon tripod. Rather than attach something with a screw mount to my phone, I figured that something already existed on Thingiverse that would mount the phone directly to the quick-release base without the plate you normally screw onto your camera. I was so sure it existed I didn't even bother to look and just asked my brother to print it while I was at work. Sure enough, it existed. It was ready when I got back and I still use it now years later. It's a two-piece design with a rubber band that lets it expand/contract to fit any size phone. The bottom piece is a wedge shape that fits right where the quick-release plate would normally go.

It can be REALLY frustrating when something goes wrong or a print fails but there is a large community out there who has seen it all and they can usually tell you exactly what to look at. Parts are cheap too.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Thingiverse.com

Surprisingly already-available things: A wide selection of obscure battery doors.

I bought an old SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color handheld game system when I was in Japan (similar to Game Boy Color). It was sold as "junk" because it was missing the battery door for the coin cell battery. There were three on Thingiverse with both the coin cell battery door and the main battery door.

My friend showed up one day with his DirecTV remote that was missing the battery door. Someone had already modeled and uploaded a replacement. We watched a movie while it printed.

Someone I knew on a forum needed a battery door for his Nintendo Game & Watch. It was already there. I printed it and dropped it in the mail.

Though I didn't need them, I've also found/printed doors for the Wavebird Wireless Controller and the expansion door on a Nintendo 64.

It can be REALLY frustrating when something goes wrong or a print fails but there is a large community out there who has seen it all and they can usually tell you exactly what to look at. Parts are cheap too.

It sounds like some majorly impressive technology, i got ideas on how it works and me and a friend always talk about how maybe one day we can print entire 1956 chevy bel airs for example with all the most recently technology. I saw a big house/castle deal being made once on youtube and i was blown away. I believe some cars are currently being 3d printed as well?

Yeah the fact its this cheap i would have to be a bad man to not consider it. I could see why it would be frustrating to set up, like anything new and unknown communities like for anything else eventually share the knowledge and eventually you could master the art. Rome was not built in a day. I could only see this technology doing other things, especially if we mix graphine with it eventually.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I posted it on my wall on facebook, i got MAYBE few dorks on there who may get a printer seeing that. Most of them barely turn on a computer but if they needed something i would prob print it in a second assuming the material cost wasn't to out of this world.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I posted it on my wall on facebook, i got MAYBE few dorks on there who may get a printer seeing that. Most of them barely turn on a computer but if they needed something i would prob print it in a second assuming the material cost wasn't to out of this world.
I buy the cheap PLA "corn plastic" filament for $15 a kilogram spool and it goes a surprisingly long way. The software that converts a 3D model into 3D printable layers is smart enough to hollow out the insides while leaving a strong "infill" pattern for strength... and to support the exterior layers on top. Similarly, it's smart enough to add plastic "support structures" that you remove after printing but you can usually minimize the need for that by orienting the part differently on the virtual print bed before slicing.

There are people printing thousands of affordable masks/respirators, face shields, and strap holders for the Frontline medical workers. Check out Smarter Every Day's video for a window into that...

• Love
Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

Yeah halfway in and its quite a amazing idea. I actually worked in a plastic ejection mold factory for a short while. Was quite a intense job cause yup those machines pump out serious heat and pump out parts quite fast. Better pray someone hears your cries too cause if your on a fast machine, it could back up easily and well your not allowed to let it pile up. Also if the molds jams cause you didn't spot your machine consider yourself usually yelled at or fired. Maybe both.

The 3d printer should be in every other home at least making things right now, if they are that affordable why not? Even the raw material is cheap.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I mean if the gov can spend trillions on a stimulus package whats not a few million to ask for volunteers to man and operate 3d printers 24/7 or as much as humanly possible from home? I would volunteer for that in a second. Not even kidding.

Reactions: Captante and CZroe

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
A pre-clinical trial for Remdesevir was done on macaques with promising results. Animals that received the treatment had significantly less of the virus in their lungs and their recovery began within 12 hours of treatment.

I think proper treatment is going to be what gets the world back on its feet. The vaccine is going to take way too long, and we don't know if it will be effective.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
A pre-clinical trial for Remdesevir was done on macaques with promising results. Animals that received the treatment had significantly less of the virus in their lungs and their recovery began within 12 hours of treatment.

I think proper treatment is going to be what gets the world back on its feet. The vaccine is going to take way too long, and we don't know if it will be effective.

I think the first human trial to report is going to be the severe one which may show less efficacy. If it is useful in humans it's likely to be more so in the earlier stages. Though if you can start putting people on the regimen before they become severe or critical and get them out of a hospital in a week instead of watching them progress and potentially end up in the ICU on a vent that alone would be a huge win.

Other underway clinical trials are likely to find some things that help also like all the various anti-inflammatory drugs that could help tone down overactive immune responses that are killing people.

Seems like some drug therapies in 1-3 months, antibody drugs in 6-8 months, and vaccine in 12-18 months is realistic. The last two will probably be authorized for earlier use in high risk groups (medical, EMS, government agencies, etc) before the general public.