NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 290 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Of course I would have completely shut down the country the first week of March and this would have all been over by now.

No one government agency has the authority to do that anyway . . .

This is exactly why we have a government yet I feel like it's every man for themselves.

Which government? The Feds? They are limited in how many masks they can get. They can't produce them. It's questionable as to whether or not they know how to do so. There are some businesses retooling for mask production, but that takes time.

So easy a Republican Politican can do it!

Masks won't seal over beards either.

Probably one of the first things that should have been done was to turn to large manufacturers and tell them we need hundreds of millions of surgical masks per month and the government will pay for everything (capital investment, staffing, transport, etc) with a guaranteed profit margin. Mask production lines are not overly complex in the scheme of automated manufacturing.

Seems logical, but remember that when the news of this thing finally broke, there was a massive drain on PPE/supplies going into China. New lines would probably take at least a few months to come online. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Seems logical, but remember that when the news of this thing finally broke, there was a massive drain on PPE/supplies going into China. New lines would probably take at least a few months to come online. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

GM built a new mask line in 10 days to make 1.5M per month. Just do that a bunch more times and problem solved.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have been looking at my checking account info online this week and as of now there's no sign of a stimulus check from the government. Am I not getting one? I use Turbotax every year and any money owed me is deposited automatically to my checking account, so it's registered with the IRS. Last year my standard deduction was greater than my taxes owed, so I paid no taxes, i.e. for 2018. Am I supposed to get a stimulus check?

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
He was specifically elected to have no dignity and have no respect. He's an allergic reaction.

Exactly. He runs his mouth to keep people off-balance.

Obviously I do! We're in the middle of a pandemic caused by a foreign power, and all you want to do is complain about some stupid politician doing a mediocre job. Seriously?

In a non-political thread of all places?
Whoops, you've got me pegged. No, actually, you don't. I have complained a lot about Trump, but he's part and parcel of what's gone on here so there's no cleaving the pandemic from the executive branch of the US government.

You're the guy who claimed that Trump's doing as good a job with this crisis as any modern president would have done. I took issue with that. You come back at me claiming that all I do is rag on Trump, that my contributions here are solely political. In actuality I've posted in this thread on a host of absolutely unpolitical aspects of the pandemic. Your assertions are absurd and bogus. Now please get off my case and do something sensible.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
I have been looking at my checking account info online this week and as of now there's no sign of a stimulus check from the government. Am I not getting one? I use Turbotax every year and any money owed me is deposited automatically to my checking account, so it's registered with the IRS. Last year my standard deduction was greater than my taxes owed, so I paid no taxes, i.e. for 2018. Am I supposed to get a stimulus check?

Supposedly people that run through Turbo Tax / HR Block / etc... when it runs through Turbo Tax system they actually send it to another account (associated with Turbo Tax, etc.) that then forwards it on to yours. I have no idea of how this works exactly, just something I've heard.

Needless to say, I highly recommend EVERY SINGLE PERSON here use the IRS website to double check the "status" of your check. If they don't have your account/routing number, they will tell you and allow you to enter it here: https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/notice

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I use TurboTax and got a deposit this past Tuesday or weds I think.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Perhaps mass distribution of PPE could ba e helped, but there was also limited supply, so it was appropriately diverted to healthcare.

One other downside to mass PPE use - people think that it replaces social distancing, or that it gives them immunity. The best defence against this was to socially isolate early and contract trace. We didn't do the latter, so we should have done the former sooner.

But _why_ was (still is) there a limited supply?

Firstly does that not suggest the foolishness of shifting _too much_ production of essentials to China?
Secondly, n95 masks might be a separate issue, but I can't see why it would be very difficult to produce vast numbers of simple face masks and send them out to everyone. That's not a high-tech product.

Nov 8, 2012
But _why_ was (still is) there a limited supply?

GLOBALISM. Is it that hard of a concept to understand?

Seriously? Is it that fuckin' hard? People have been trying to nail this point home for the last 20 years, but it takes a limited supply of health-related items for people to fucking understand it?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
GM built a new mask line in 10 days to make 1.5M per month. Just do that a bunch more times and problem solved.

Not many have that kind of production power though. It would be nice to know how many masks we really need versus how many can be produced (and how many of those will stay in the country?). Also of all the automakers, GM is probably the one that owes the most to the Feds (okay, the Feds sold their holdings but still), so it makes sense that they'd be first to come through.

Whoops, you've got me pegged. No, actually, you don't.

And yet who keeps bringing him up? That idiot wants to be the first name on everyone's lips. Who brought him up?

I have complained a lot about Trump

Yes! Please stop giving him attention when he doesn't merit any. It's like complaining about the local school system when all it does is crank out students that earn Cs.

but he's part and parcel of what's gone on here

Only if you think his daily press briefings are worth watching. Which they generally aren't.

You're the guy who claimed that Trump's doing as good a job

Since when? Are we reading the same thread here?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have complained a lot about Trump, but he's part and parcel of what's gone on here so there's no cleaving the pandemic from the executive branch of the US government.

You're the guy who claimed that Trump's doing as good a job with this crisis as any modern president would have done. I took issue with that. You come back at me claiming that all I do is rag on Trump, that my contributions here are solely political. In actuality I've posted in this thread on a host of absolutely unpolitical aspects of the pandemic. Your assertions are absurd and bogus. Now please get off my case and do something sensible.

Since when? Are we reading the same thread here?
I was referring to this post by you:
Despite him being essentially a self-centered douchebag, I don't think most of the Presidents of my time (basically Carter on up) would have done much different. Travel bans like that come at considerable cost to the economy. If you would pay attention to what @CZroe was saying, there were plenty of people who recommended no travel ban at all. People not necessarily politically aligned with the President.
I took that as an assertion that no other modern president would have done particularly better than Trump has here. I took exception to that. You came back at me for being here just to dump on Trump. I do denigrate the man, to be sure, but your assertion that that's all I've done in this thread is just bullshit.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
GLOBALISM. Is it that hard of a concept to understand?

Seriously? Is it that fuckin' hard? People have been trying to nail this point home for the last 20 years, but it takes a limited supply of health-related items for people to fucking understand it?

Not really. The US, or UK, is perfectly capable of producing a few cloth masks. It might, though, have taken direct state intervention to at least organise it.

Now, globalisation of supply-chains maybe does have a role if you are talking about more complex equipment. But, you know, that's down to capitalism, the system you right-wingers love so much. Why have you been so keen on that system for so long? Also, are you now trying to blame others for your own misjudgements? Odd.

I mean it's you lot, in the form of Thatcher and Reagan, who sold off all the national assets to foreign corporations (and even foreign governments). It seems very weird to me that first you insist on selling everything off, then you blame others for the fact it got sold off!

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Supposedly people that run through Turbo Tax / HR Block / etc... when it runs through Turbo Tax system they actually send it to another account (associated with Turbo Tax, etc.) that then forwards it on to yours. I have no idea of how this works exactly, just something I've heard.

Needless to say, I highly recommend EVERY SINGLE PERSON here use the IRS website to double check the "status" of your check. If they don't have your account/routing number, they will tell you and allow you to enter it here: https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/notice
not that i care i really dont want the 4400$ check they are suppose to send, id rather just use it for a credit against what i owe next year.
Payment Status Not Available
According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

Reactions: mopardude87

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I was referring to this post by you:
I took that as an assertion that no other modern president would have done particularly better than Trump has here. I took exception to that. You came back at me for being here just to dump on Trump. I do denigrate the man, to be sure, but your assertion that that's all I've done in this thread is just bullshit.
most of your posts are bs :) :) pointless drivel, the fact you dont pay taxes sounds like you would hate trump and republicans :0 :) :) its ok tho you need something to do, as i have said alot of pointless things too! sure killed alot of time with this thread, wonder what productive things i could have been doing. like studying Khmer!

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
not that i care i really dont want the 4400$ check they are suppose to send, id rather just use it for a credit against what i owe next year.
According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

I know a young married couple in the same boat right now.

They don't make a lot of money. He's a self-employed musician and she's a grad student at one of the local Universities. They're really hurting right now. I lent them money for rent this month (that I don't expect back).

They get the same message. Come on, Government. Get your shit together.

Ineligible and DEAD people got checks right away and these kids have to worry about surviving?

Reactions: Muse

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The government always ends up screwing up stuff like this. Like it seems to be a trend where dead people get stuff when living people don't. how hard is it to make sure that the people who get stuff are still alive? They do the same with elections, you hear of dead people getting ballots, or even people outside the country, and people inside who still don't get theirs. It's almost a universal problem as it happens here in Canada too. With all the information they have on us there is no excuse.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I get this:

For more information on the eligibility rules, see our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Dang!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
most of your posts are bs :) :) pointless drivel, the fact you dont pay taxes sounds like you would hate trump and republicans :0 :) :) its ok tho you need something to do, as i have said alot of pointless things too! sure killed alot of time with this thread, wonder what productive things i could have been doing. like studying Khmer!
Your insinuating that my income and tax status is determining my politics is absolutely insulting.

You should really learn how to think before you think out loud (in a haphazard way) in a public thread. And your assertions above are beyond ridiculous. You obviously just can't stop being a dick.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: killster1

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not many have that kind of production power though. It would be nice to know how many masks we really need versus how many can be produced (and how many of those will stay in the country?). Also of all the automakers, GM is probably the one that owes the most to the Feds (okay, the Feds sold their holdings but still), so it makes sense that they'd be first to come through.

Total domestic demand is certainly hundreds of millions per month at this point. We could probably produce that if we really tried. The government has the power to guarantee purchases and loans to get there but we haven’t done it. The federal response has been extremely uneven and chaotic.

Reactions: Muse

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Now, globalisation of supply-chains maybe does have a role if you are talking about more complex equipment. But, you know, that's down to capitalism, the system you right-wingers love so much. Why have you been so keen on that system for so long? Also, are you now trying to blame others for your own misjudgements? Odd.

i am confident that in a free society people will buy more expensive locally-produced goods instead of less expensive globally-produced goods

7G3zITG.png

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
i am confident that in a free society people will buy more expensive locally-produced goods instead of less expensive globally-produced goods

7G3zITG.png

There issue may be how one defines 'a free society'. A lot of work was put into equating 'leave everything to the market' with 'freedom'.