NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 289 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
There are always contrarians, and much of the time they are looking for (and getting) attention for playing that role.

Imagining what a different president would do in this situation is ridiculous. You don't know, nobody knows. Trump blew it grotesquely, ignored considered opinion by people who had his ear and knew their oats from their chicken feed. Trump is a cancer on the nation. You are suspect for defending him.
seems like you have so much hate built up, thought this was the non political china thread, every post from you has to do with trump this trump that.. obviously you hate him, you think all the other presidents would have done so much better. i can just imagine what Hillary Clinton would have done. she was the other choice right...
In answer to your question... I'm not too short of 80 and TBH I don't really give a fuck. I have had ZERO cabin fever since the SIP directive here over a month ago. Clearly your uncle is goofy.

I have plenty to do. I just set up my bicycle on a bike trainer that just came. I'd rather ride inside watching nature videos on my 4K TV and with music of my choice than ride the ugly and generally rough streets here taking my chances, will I get a flat or whatever, wearing a face mask and wondering if I'm really safe. Fuck that, and fuck the complainers. There are people in the hospitals, both care givers and the grievously ill who are enduring a living hell and thousands of them are dying daily, many of those before they can get to a hospital. At my elbow is Anne Frank's diary. Everyone should read that and STFU about how pissed they are they have to shelter.
lulz you cant ride your bike in the mountains? no car? no bike rack? rather watch nature videos on your tv then be in nature? i go out everyday, we take walks and just stay away from everyone else. we go to the beach the snow the mountains the lakes no problem as we are alone. im ready to get sick im looking forward to it i feel like i wont be one of the ones with a ventilator as i have never needed to go to a DR in my life for being sick just for broken bones. wonder how many more years you will live, and what kind of life you will live after this.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't have to imagine. Look at what the previous administration did with swine flu and Zika. I'm not all that impressed. What the current administration actually did was par for the course. You spend too much time watching his idiotic speeches and too little time paying attention to what is actually being done. Way to be another sucker.
You don't know shit about what I do. I don't pay attention to his speeches. Look in the mirror for a sucker.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
seems like you have so much hate built up, thought this was the non political china thread, every post from you has to do with trump this trump that.. obviously you hate him, you think all the other presidents would have done so much better. i can just imagine what Hillary Clinton would have done. she was the other choice right...

lulz you cant ride your bike in the mountains? no car? no bike rack? rather watch nature videos on your tv then be in nature? i go out everyday, we take walks and just stay away from everyone else. we go to the beach the snow the mountains the lakes no problem as we are alone. im ready to get sick im looking forward to it i feel like i wont be one of the ones with a ventilator as i have never needed to go to a DR in my life for being sick just for broken bones. wonder how many more years you will live, and what kind of life you will live after this.
Yeah, I super hate Trump. Clinton would have done better. Both Bushes would have. Clinton's hubby would have. Carter too, the mofo was a scientist, he studied nuclear engineering in the Navy, he wasn't an anti-science selfish shithead like Trump. You're dreaming, mon.

Mountains? I used to ride up in the Berkeley hills every day but have a pinched nerve in my neck so can't do that now. Besides, the roads up there aren't safe, even now. Anyway, the park up there where I used to ride through daily is closed now, whether I ride up there or drive up there. I used to golf up there 2x/week, yes I'd be doing it now, walking the hilly course... great exercise and fun, but it's closed now too.

No bike rack, right. Not gonna order one.

There are places I want to go but now's not the time.

I'm fit, don't worry about me.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
There isn't info on the two fatalities. It probably wasn't the drug which has a good safety profile. Anti-virals are more useful when they are given earlier so if someone with severe disease is already progressed too far it might be of less utility for some of those patients. We still need the comparison to controls and the data from the moderate severity group too.
As someone who routinely looks at oncology clinical trial data, you can't just look at raw numbers - there are so many factors that come into play - whole departments are devoted to statistical analysis and data interpretation. In any trial (regardless if it's open-label, randomized, double-blinded, single-arm, or any combination thereof), you still need to look at the baseline characteristics of the patient population to understand where patients are starting from, the adverse events (including grades), and the descriptions for why people died. You're right to point out that starting treatment from the 'severe' stage may already be too late.

Reactions: K1052 and BUTCH1

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Accepting the responsibility as POTUS should mean your remarks are tempered with dignity and respect, that is until this low-life got elected.

He was specifically elected to have no dignity and have no respect. He's an allergic reaction.

I'm pretty sure that this is all part of Trump's plan.

Exactly. He runs his mouth to keep people off-balance.

You don't know shit about what I do.

Obviously I do! We're in the middle of a pandemic caused by a foreign power, and all you want to do is complain about some stupid politician doing a mediocre job. Seriously?

In a non-political thread of all places?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
He was specifically elected to have no dignity and have no respect. He's an allergic reaction.

Exactly. He runs his mouth to keep people off-balance.

Obviously I do! We're in the middle of a pandemic caused by a foreign power, and all you want to do is complain about some stupid politician doing a mediocre job. Seriously?

In a non-political thread of all places?
To who?, trailer-trash and Nazi's?, the rest of us never wanted anywhere this level of disgust. Claiming it's just a "tactic" is a cop-out and a laughable one.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
As someone who routinely looks at oncology clinical trial data, you can't just look at raw numbers - there are so many factors that come into play - whole departments are devoted to statistical analysis and data interpretation. In any trial (regardless if it's open-label, randomized, double-blinded, single-arm, or any combination thereof), you still need to look at the baseline characteristics of the patient population to understand where patients are starting from, the adverse events (including grades), and the descriptions for why people died. You're right to point out that starting treatment from the 'severe' stage may already be too late.

Hopefully some trial results will start being released before the end of the month. NIH announced results the other day that it prevented progression in primates versus a control group.

If we can get a couple therapeutics to keep people from dying that would really help hold us over until the antibody drugs start to become available later this year.

Reactions: Brainonska511

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I had to go out yesterday to do laundry in small town WV. We only have 4 confirmed cases in our county and people have let their guard down. Of all the people I saw out only one was wearing a mask. I have a feeling things aren't going to get better for a very long time. I feel a total lockdown is the only way to stop this thing unless it runs it course. Also, where in the hell are the certified PPE for us citizens? This is more important than a $1200 check if we want to fix this problem.

Reactions: killster1
Dec 10, 2005
I had to go out yesterday to do laundry in small town WV. We only have 4 confirmed cases in our county and people have let their guard down. Of all the people I saw out only one was wearing a mask. I have a feeling things aren't going to get better for a very long time. I feel a total lockdown is the only way to stop this thing unless it runs it course. Also, where in the hell are the certified PPE for us citizens? This is more important than a $1200 check if we want to fix this problem.
Not to poopoo on PPE, but it only works if people know how to use it. I constantly see people touching faces with gloves, touching their masks, and wearing masks improperly.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
For them?, yup, it sure did, and a lot of swing/independent voters too, but now that the shit-show of lying, race bating, divisive nature has been revealed I doubt it work again.

All that has to happen is for his opposition to look worse. And that's all a part of the plan.

Also, where in the hell are the certified PPE for us citizens?

It's still really hard to get N95 masks. Though for people who only go out once or twice a week, and have contact with other people who only go out once or twice a week, PPE might not be that big of a deal. Most of the social distancing models used in making stay-at-home orders did not take PPE into account. Plus for the masks to really work, you also need airtight goggles.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's still really hard to get N95 masks. Though for people who only go out once or twice a week, and have contact with other people who only go out once or twice a week, PPE might not be that big of a deal. Most of the social distancing models used in making stay-at-home orders did not take PPE into account. Plus for the masks to really work, you also need airtight goggles.

There is a case to be made for putting every person into surgical type masks. If not so much as to protect the wearer but to stop people (symptomatic or asymptomatic) from spewing virus laden droplets everywhere which seems to be the primary mode of transmission.

Reactions: pmv

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Not to poopoo on PPE, but it only works if people know how to use it. I constantly see people touching faces with gloves, touching their masks, and wearing masks improperly.
I'm tired of seeing this ridiculous propaganda still being spewed and people actually believing in this shit. You think it's fvcking rocket science and takes like 8 years of learning and training to learn how to put on and wear a mask properly? Seriously, quit with this bullshit about PPE being hard to use properly. People can watch like 30 seconds to 1 minute video on how to wear masks properly. South Korea had it broadcast on TV like a commercial. Short video clip with human and also cartoon drawing. So easy anybody can follow. I watched the South Korea TV clip and learned in about 1 minute.

Seriously, stop with the only trained healthcare professional can use PPE correctly BS. Because it's more retarded than wearing masks in public won't help the general public message that was being touted before.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm tired of seeing this ridiculous propaganda still being spewed and people actually believing in this shit. You think it's fvcking rocket science and takes like 8 years of learning and training to learn how to put on and wear a mask properly? Seriously, quit with this bullshit about PPE being hard to use properly. People can watch like 30 seconds to 1 minute video on how to wear masks properly. South Korea had it broadcast on TV like a commercial. Short video clip with human and also cartoon drawing. So easy anybody can follow. I watched the South Korea TV clip and learned in about 1 minute.

Seriously, stop with the only trained healthcare professional can use PPE correctly BS. Because it's more retarded than wearing masks in public won't help the general public message that was being touted before. Because it's not true.

I watched the governor of one of our largest states (who is incidentally a graduate of some of our most prestigious institutions) put on an N95 incorrectly on TV.

You may be overestimating the level of intelligence at work here.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
There is a case to be made for putting every person into surgical type masks. If not so much as to protect the wearer but to stop people (symptomatic or asymptomatic) from spewing virus laden droplets everywhere which seems to be the primary mode of transmission.

Kind of? But we're still having problems getting PPE to hospitals as it is. I'd rather prioritize shipments to people who still have to go to work in this mess.

Dec 10, 2005

Seriously, stop with the only trained healthcare professional can use PPE correctly BS. Because it's more retarded than wearing masks in public won't help the general public message that was being touted before.
I didn't say only trained people can use it correctly. I'm saying you're putting too much faith in the average person's abilities to use PPE properly.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Kind of? But we're still having problems getting PPE to hospitals as it is. I'd rather prioritize shipments to people who still have to go to work in this mess.

Because supplies are still tightly limited yes. Probably one of the first things that should have been done was to turn to large manufacturers and tell them we need hundreds of millions of surgical masks per month and the government will pay for everything (capital investment, staffing, transport, etc) with a guaranteed profit margin. Mask production lines are not overly complex in the scheme of automated manufacturing.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

What kind of masks are the South Koreans promoting? I mean the claim is there's a big difference between wearing simple masks to protect others and wearing the kind of properly-fitted, regularly changed, masks they use in hospital settings.

I dunno, I just note the examples I've seen seem to imply it's quite a palaver to make sure such a mask is correctly fitted (they spray you with a foul tasting chemical to test if you can taste it! If you can, the mask isn't on properly)

I don't see why the state couldn't just send out loads of the simple kind of mask to the general public, though. Me, I'd rather they sent me a 6-foot long sharp stick, to prod people with if they get too close in the street.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well, this is pretty damn bleak, whatever one's politics...

I think that piece is overly pessimistic. We are going to have one (or likely several) viable vaccines given there almost 80 in development. Before then we can beat it back with a massive scale up in testing, therapies, and antibody drugs. Things feel shitty now because we are behind but this won’t be the case forever.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
That's true but I haven't seen any training but they have plenty of time for propaganda that I don't care to view.

I'm not an expert but I think many infections would have been prevented with mass distribution of PPE along with education on how to use them properly. Of course I would have completely shut down the country the first week of March and this would have all been over by now.

Some protection is better than none which is what I see in my town. During a pandemic this shouldn't be left up to the free market where we now have to pay a premium for PPE that might be fake. Normally I'm ok buying a knockoff if I know it's a knockoff but this is my life we are talking about and I'm not an expert on PPE. This is exactly why we have a government yet I feel like it's every man for themselves.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

So easy a Republican Politican can do it!
1587254371258.png
(Bob Brooks, R, PA house of representatives. It's upside-down).

Dec 10, 2005
That's true but I haven't seen any training but they have plenty of time for propaganda that I don't care to view.

I'm not an expert but I think many infections would have been prevented with mass distribution of PPE along with education on how to use them properly. Of course I would have completely shut down the country the first week of March and this would have all been over by now.
Perhaps mass distribution of PPE could ba e helped, but there was also limited supply, so it was appropriately diverted to healthcare.

One other downside to mass PPE use - people think that it replaces social distancing, or that it gives them immunity. The best defence against this was to socially isolate early and contract trace. We didn't do the latter, so we should have done the former sooner.