NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 288 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There wasn't that much time between the travel bans, and a lot of people didn't want either of those travel bans at all. That wasn't the only argument being made (go look at manly, he's arguing that travel bans were useless anyway).
There's no doubt that travel bans would not prevent a pandemic here but they definitely would buy us time, very very valuable time to prepare for how to not get overwhelmed.

All the cases in the USA for quite a while were traceable to someone who had brought it here by virtue of international travel, typically directly from Wuhan. Then there was one case that they couldn't explain (in Santa Clara County, northern California) and they knew they had community spread and that there was no stopping it.

Unfortunately, Trump squandered the time before community spread because he misunderstood the situation. He had no ability or patience to inform himself beyond what he felt he needed in terms of his propaganda war in preparation for his reelection campaign. The actual threat of the virus didn't register in his mind beyond his self centered perspective. "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely." His statements of a few days ago claiming that he and he alone has absolute power in the USA, and that it's perfectly appropriate is proof enough that he's unhinged.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
There's no doubt that travel bans would not prevent a pandemic here but they definitely would buy us time, very very valuable time to prepare for how to not get overwhelmed. Unfortunately, Trump squandered that time because he misunderstood the situation.

Despite him being essentially a self-centered douchebag, I don't think most of the Presidents of my time (basically Carter on up) would have done much different. Travel bans like that come at considerable cost to the economy. If you would pay attention to what @CZroe was saying, there were plenty of people who recommended no travel ban at all. People not necessarily politically aligned with the President.

Reactions: killster1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There was no control arm, which is part of the issue with trying to draw conclusions from limited data. Anecdotally it appears helpful. I'm actually more interested to see data from the moderate symptom trial if it can shorten days in hospital and stop progression to keep people out of ICU and off vents (and out of graves).
Remdesivir has looked good to me since first hearing about it. My hunch is that it will be important for a while. Maybe until they find or develop something better to treat people who are struggling beyond plasma. Who knows, they may not find something better. A few weeks ago they were saying they had nothing.

Penicillin was developed a long time ago (Penicillin was discovered in 1928 by Scottish scientist Alexander Fleming). There are other antibiotics, many, that have come along since, but have they made penicillin obsolete? Not to my knowledge.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Serious as a heart attack about not going to the stores no more, this my little stash of pasta and ramen. I picked up a few other things to change it up like some pizzas and i needed tea. A bit much but a final solution to not needing to go out at least 3 entire weeks easily if you count my frozen stuff. Maybe a entire 4weeks, mainly from the dollar general around the corner that is deader then a graveyard. No walmart for me!

Edit: I bought perhaps a third of this stuff, my friend who passed away back in Jan was italian and loved his pasta had a habit of always stocking up on things we clearly never needed. . Took 2 trips to collect the rest. Thought i would make this clear that i never clean a shelf for this intent and purpose.

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Serious as a heart attack about not going to the stores no more, this my little stash of pasta and ramen. I picked up a few other things to change it up like some pizzas and i needed tea. A bit much but a final solution to not needing to go out at least 3 entire weeks easily if you count my frozen stuff. Maybe a entire 4weeks, mainly from the dollar general around the corner that is deader then a graveyard. No walmart for me!

Edit: I bought perhaps a third of this stuff, my friend who passed away back in Jan was italian and loved his pasta had a habit of always stocking up on things we clearly never needed. . Took 2 trips to collect the rest. Thought i would make this clear that i never clean a shelf for this intent and purpose.
do you want us to start a gofund me so you can afford some other foods? ;) i feel sad for you to eat like that, eating crab / lobster / salmon / steaks galore here :) nothing wrong with going to walmart if you have your PPE, feel like im going to have to treat covid patients soon at my work, they just sent a memo that if you make less than 250,000 they will pay for your hotel room while you quarantine after you get it :p sure hope the hotel has good internet or i guess i can bring a hotspot, or be one of the ones so lucky as to show no symptoms at all and never know i have it. (doubtful)

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
My neighbors are god damn dandelion farmers. I keep that shit under control in my yard. I am however having my yard destroyed by some sort of fescue.

My wifes birthday is in a few days and she wanted some nice steaks for dinner so I went across town to a good butcher shop. Nice place , all trendy and shit. Lotta people in there. One or 2 wearing masks one or 2 wearing gloves and no one staying away from each other. I bathed in hand sanitizer and lysol after I got out of there.

And this is why the 2020s will set themselves apart from previous decades.

Just like 9/11 made us aware just how deeply terrorism can impact us, this contageous bat virus will also make us aware that we are not invulnerable. When someone sneezes in China, it may lead to deaths thousands of miles away.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
if you want an enlightening video, THIS is the real dandy lion:

i await the minnesota state high school all-hockey hair team awards every spring

And here I am with 3mm of hair growing in every direction. My clippers have been getting a workout lately.

Back in 2008 I let my hair grow out and it went down to my shoulders. I looked like an American Indian and it took over a year to get that long. It was a weird experience since Im not really the long hair type - my head sweat at night if I used a pillow and during the day I lived in fear of a stiff breeze.

By late 2009 I had had it and went back to my old ways. I can now drive around with the windows rolled down and sunroof open. And no one randomly mumbles criticism that I "need a haircut" and "its not the 1600s" anymore.

Reactions: brianmanahan

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
do you want us to start a gofund me so you can afford some other foods? ;) i feel sad for you to eat like that, eating crab / lobster / salmon / steaks galore here :)

Well its about mere survival and well i got other stuff in the fridge and freezer :) I love pasta so yeah its ok :)

Oh for anyone wanting the best laugh of their life, apparently my cousin on facebook wants to win a argument that 60k a year flu deaths is worst then the corona and his evidence? The 154k cases are apparently some demo propaganda machine and that the numbers are completely fake. . I mention this purely for comical reasons . I say its impossible for the world to lie on these numbers, they are 154k and climbing.Unless i live in a alternate universe 60k does not come close to 154k....

Edit: He calls me a snowflake and blocks me wow. All jokes aside i am about pissing my pants here, i swear to anything in this world i got popcorn and nearly choking on it. This is pure gold. He did get the report before he blocked me! :D Guess when your blocked all comments disappear so yeah, i guess he did comment then block before i could comment WOW. Had plans to send him this link then suddenly i got blocked before i could do it :(

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
if you want an enlightening video, THIS is the real dandy lion:

i await the minnesota state high school all-hockey hair team awards every spring

Lol those videos are great. That particular one is probably their best one.

I'm not very good at hockey and have not played in decades, but I could maybe make that team just for the hair and stay on the bench. :p

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
And here I am with 3mm of hair growing in every direction. My clippers have been getting a workout lately.

i've had a real desire to cut my hair short lately. it's growing out weird and i can't get it cut so it looks stupid.

then again, if nobody but me can see my hair it probably doesn't matter...

it has been almost 30 years since i had it cut very short. i would love to see what it looks like, but there is a big scar on my head that would probably look ugly.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
i've had a real desire to cut my hair short lately. it's growing out weird and i can't get it cut so it looks stupid.

it has been almost 30 years since i had it cut very short. i would love to see what it looks like, but there is a big scar on my head that would probably look ugly.

Shave it off! Chicks dig scars.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Now is a good time to grow it out. :D I was on the fence about growing mine for a while since I always had a fairly typical short hair cut until I just decided what the heck. May as well while I still HAVE hair. Going on 2 years soon. Does not grow as fast as it used to.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Lol, my uncle is going a bit crazy from this mess. He's in his 80s, wants to go out and his wife is having a panic attack. I was at their home this week. This is how it went.

My Uncle : I'm going out! You can't stop me.
My Aunt: No Gino! You'll get the Corona.

MU: You can't stop me! I'm going out!
MA: No you son of a bitch! The corona is everywhere! No!!!

MU: I'm going! The corona will not stop me.
MA: It will get on your jacket! NO!!!!

Do all old people revert to little children? It's scary. I don't want to be 80 and a scared little baby whose wearing a bib. Lol

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Lol, my uncle is going a bit crazy from this mess. He's in his 80s, wants to go out and his wife is having a panic attack. I was at their home this week. This is how it went.

Do all old people revert to little children? It's scary. I don't want to be 80 and a scared little baby whose wearing a bib. Lol

You violated everyone's efforts at social distancing and infected your elderly relatives with the corona.

:(

Reactions: pcgeek11

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
You violated everyone's efforts at social distancing and infected your elderly relatives with the corona.

:(

Haha. I should had said that I was outside looking in. And, I did have a mask on.

My uncle stayed inside. He can't drive and I wasn't going to take him anywhere. :)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Despite him being essentially a self-centered douchebag, I don't think most of the Presidents of my time (basically Carter on up) would have done much different. Travel bans like that come at considerable cost to the economy. If you would pay attention to what @CZroe was saying, there were plenty of people who recommended no travel ban at all. People not necessarily politically aligned with the President.
There are always contrarians, and much of the time they are looking for (and getting) attention for playing that role.

Imagining what a different president would do in this situation is ridiculous. You don't know, nobody knows. Trump blew it grotesquely, ignored considered opinion by people who had his ear and knew their oats from their chicken feed. Trump is a cancer on the nation. You are suspect for defending him.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

In answer to your question... I'm not too short of 80 and TBH I don't really give a fuck. I have had ZERO cabin fever since the SIP directive here over a month ago. Clearly your uncle is goofy.

I have plenty to do. I just set up my bicycle on a bike trainer that just came. I'd rather ride inside watching nature videos on my 4K TV and with music of my choice than ride the ugly and generally rough streets here taking my chances, will I get a flat or whatever, wearing a face mask and wondering if I'm really safe. Fuck that, and fuck the complainers. There are people in the hospitals, both care givers and the grievously ill who are enduring a living hell and thousands of them are dying daily, many of those before they can get to a hospital. At my elbow is Anne Frank's diary. Everyone should read that and STFU about how pissed they are they have to shelter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mai72

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Imagining what a different president would do in this situation is ridiculous.

I don't have to imagine. Look at what the previous administration did with swine flu and Zika. I'm not all that impressed. What the current administration actually did was par for the course. You spend too much time watching his idiotic speeches and too little time paying attention to what is actually being done. Way to be another sucker.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
In answer to your question... I'm not too short of 80 and TBH I don't really give a fuck. I have had ZERO cabin fever since the SIP directive here over a month ago. Clearly your uncle is goofy.

I have plenty to do. I just set up my bicycle on a bike trainer that just came. I'd rather ride inside watching nature videos on my 4K TV and with music of my choice than ride the ugly and generally rough streets here taking my chances, will I get a flat or whatever, wearing a face mask and wondering if I'm really safe. Fuck that, and fuck the complainers. There are people in the hospitals, both care givers and the grievously ill who are enduring a living hell and thousands of them are dying daily, many of those before they can get to a hospital. At my elbow is Anne Frank's diary. Everyone should read that and STFU about how pissed they are they have to shelter.

Good point. We need to tale this in with perspective. Ann Frank's diary is a great book. Have you ever read "A Mean's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl? I have that on audio and had listened to it about 5x so far. Victor survived while being in 4 concentration camps. He lost just about every family member in those concentration camps. That book will give you a real perspective on life, and on your own struggles. And, how most of what we complain about is very small compared to what our grandparents and great grandparents had to endure.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
The food banks should be calling them up and offering logistics to pick it up.

Just because a farmer exists with tons of useful crops, doesn't mean they have the logistics to deliver it to a useful place.
There's also harvesting cost's as well I'd guess, perhaps farmers don't even see a
I don't have to imagine. Look at what the previous administration did with swine flu and Zika. I'm not all that impressed. What the current administration actually did was par for the course. You spend too much time watching his idiotic speeches and too little time paying attention to what is actually being done. Way to be another sucker.
The travel ban was a good idea, as was the paycheck protection program, but you cannot separate the incredibly insane tweets of "LIBERATE" to Democratic states as an amusing opinion. This king of shit, (considering the stress everyone is under), is about as bat-shit crazy as it gets. I didn't vote for or support many of Bush's policies but you didn't see him commenting about Muslim hate after 911, he handled it pretty good IMHO and I'm a Democrat. Accepting the responsibility as POTUS should mean your remarks are tempered with dignity and respect, that is until this low-life got elected.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
There's also harvesting cost's as well I'd guess, perhaps farmers don't even see a

The travel ban was a good idea, as was the paycheck protection program, but you cannot separate the incredibly insane tweets of "LIBERATE" to Democratic states as an amusing opinion. This king of shit, (considering the stress everyone is under), is about as bat-shit crazy as it gets. I didn't vote for or support many of Bush's policies but you didn't see him commenting about Muslim hate after 911, he handled it pretty good IMHO and I'm a Democrat. Accepting the responsibility as POTUS should mean your remarks are tempered with dignity and respect, that is until this low-life got elected.

I'm pretty sure that this is all part of Trump's plan. Don't want to reopen on May 1st? Fine, but I'm going to make your life hell until you do reopen.

That said, this is way too political for the non political ATOT Coronavirus thread. We need a nice meme instead:

Reactions: BUTCH1
Nov 8, 2012
Good times, good times.

Remember, China is our friend! Make sure to argue internally over what we call the disease regardless of what has historically been done for over the last 100+ years.