NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 260 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Certainly an inadequate sheet metal shield would still be able to deflect some shots that come at an angle. Even with straight-on shots, it would slow the projectile and reduce its body penetration power somewhat.

Funnily enough I've started killing time during lockdown by watching youtube videos about tanks. You need to trade off armour against weight and manueverability! No good if you can't get over bridges without them collapsing! Also - watch out for that German tendency to overengineer everything! (Not sure what the analogy is with PPE for pandemics, but there must be one in there somewhere?).

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I've heard that some of the reported "reinfections" were likely due to pressure from CCP to report lower infection numbers and higher recovery numbers. Also there are a *lot* of faulty tests from China.

Yeah, but that article is about clinical studies of people post-infection, showing the immune response was not as good/lasting as one might hope. I've no clue how to judge such things though. One paper does not constitue a definitive finding, clearly.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
LOL! The WHO is live-streaming right now and Sky News just confronted Dr. Tedros (WHO chief) about his blind trust of China and being too close. Of course, he goes right to his usual accusation of "politicization" without even a hint of irony (he's the one injecting One China politics into this and politicizing it).

Not all devices will let you skip back but it was about 5 minutes ago:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Consider that whatever is on the mask (droplets from someone else coughing, etc) would already be directly on the face of the wearer the mask wasn't used.

At the very least, it reduces the viral load of an exposure.

A mask is better than nothing. Period.

It may slightly protect others from your cough but it's certainly not doing you any good wearing an infected mask.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Certainly an inadequate sheet metal shield would still be able to deflect some shots that come at an angle. Even with straight-on shots, it would slow the projectile and reduce its body penetration power somewhat.

It would make you far more awkward and an easy target than any good it would do.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
fauci just said that we should get rid of handshakes entirely as a society

i don't think i've agreed with anyone as much as this in my entire LIFE

shaking hands is a stupid dirty ancient custom that should've died with the roman empire

Reactions: Muse and pmv

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
I'm wondering if companies/businesses who do participate in the bailout/stimulus/loan program from the govt - what are the 'conditions' of such participation. Lots of scuttlebutt going on at work about Layoffs and stuff. I'm curious to know if companies have to maintain their employee numbers and such....I came across this and it kinda seems to confirm it:

".....Companies that borrow money are forbidden to repurchase their stock or pay dividends during the loan and for a year after it is repaid. They must not cut staffing by more than 10 percent through the end of September. ........."

What about 'furloughed' employees? I mean, you're still 'on the books', but you're not getting paid......ugh.....it seems complicated :/

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I agree with stopping handshaking too. Hand shakes never bothered me much until I realized that even lot of grown adults don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Now every time I shake hands with someone I can't help but wonder where those hands have been since the last time they were washed and I feel an immediate need to go wash mine but I might not be in a situation that makes it easy.

Reactions: brianmanahan

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
".....Companies that borrow money are forbidden to repurchase their stock or pay dividends during the loan and for a year after it is repaid. They must not cut staffing by more than 10 percent through the end of September. ........."

What about 'furloughed' employees? I mean, you're still 'on the books', but you're not getting paid......ugh.....it seems complicated :/

No dividends? That's particularly noxious. I can understand banning stock buybacks but whew.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
fauci just said that we should get rid of handshakes entirely as a society

i don't think i've agreed with anyone as much as this in my entire LIFE

shaking hands is a stupid dirty ancient custom that should've died with the roman empire

I'm on board. I'm not a germaphobe, but people are filthy animals. You know how many dudes don't wash after they've just wrestled their flesh torpedo back into their trousers and then shake someone's hand? That's just distasteful.

Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I'm on board. I'm not a germaphobe, but people are filthy animals. You know how many dudes don't wash after they've just wrestled their flesh torpedo back into their trousers and then shake someone's hand? That's just distasteful.

i work with a guy like that, his hands give me nightmares

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
In brighter news...

Great to see us starting to make stuff! I really hope there's a silver lining to all this and that it means more local manufacturing.
I read somewhere that they're using maple syrup to glue the mask layers together. Won't that attract bears and women that are as large as bears?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I read somewhere that they're using maple syrup to glue the mask layers together. Won't that attract bears and women that are as large as bears?
Just walk around with a box of Timbits to toss off as decoy if you're attacked.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

Someones dick is probably cleaner than their hands assuming they shower regularly.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
There is going to be a lot of short term and some permanent mental illness caused by this pandemic.

There’s also probably going to be a spike in divorce when all is said and done.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
seems like a reasonable expectation for a bailout loan

If the company is able to repay the loan and return to profitability, I see no reason to restrict dividends. Dividends were crucial to the old-school blue chip stock market from before the days of leveraged buyouts, VC pump-and-dump schemes, and rampant buybacks to inflate executive net worth at the long-term expense of the company.

There is going to be a lot of short term and some permanent mental illness caused by this pandemic.

There's already been an uptick in domestic violence:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Probably also be a baby-boom. Wonder how many will be called 'Corona' or some variant thereof? You just know there's bound to be some.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Probably also be a baby-boom. Wonder how many will be called 'Corona' or some variant thereof? You just know there's bound to be some.

And trailer parks full of sister fucking Fox viewers naming their kids Donald and Melania.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You must be poor. I wouldn't stand in line 5 minutes to save $3.20.
you would rather put shitty gas in your car. i understand. 5 mins sitting with my family chatting isnt a big deal to me. you might be richer then me, i am the only provider and only make 120k-140k a year ;( we all choose to spend our money differently i almost never eat out too, but on vacations i drop 10-20k

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Someones dick is probably cleaner than their hands assuming they shower regularly.
I'm still not giddy to switch over to shaking dicks instead, and if they were at a urinal, they could well have gotten some back-spray on there too.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
If the company is able to repay the loan and return to profitability, I see no reason to restrict dividends. Dividends were crucial to the old-school blue chip stock market from before the days of leveraged buyouts, VC pump-and-dump schemes, and rampant buybacks to inflate executive net worth at the long-term expense of the company.

I dont particularly care about the divident situation, moreso my future employment situation lol

Nov 8, 2012
you would rather put shitty gas in your car. i understand. 5 mins sitting with my family chatting isnt a big deal to me. you might be richer then me, i am the only provider and only make 120k-140k a year ;( we all choose to spend our money differently i almost never eat out too, but on vacations i drop 10-20k

lol as someone that has worked in the O&G industry, the concept of "shitty gas" makes me fall on the floor laughing.

E10 is E10. It's 10% ethanol, 90% gasoline. The only SLIGHT potential difference is with additives - and the majority of places do the same stuff these days.

But hey - people wouldn't get paid big bucks for Marketing if it didn't fool some people....

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris