NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 205 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Cargo
Mail
Medical
Food
...and on and on

That and I've heard of airlines that are sending empty planes because they have quotas to fill in order to retain much covetted gate spots at busy airports.

I keep having to explain to the morons we have in P&N when they say "Why do we have to bail out free market capitalism" that our airline system isn't anywhere remotely close to free-market capitalism.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
And my wife got her hours cut in half. :( It's actually better than we were expecting. The business may have to shutdown soon to conserve cash to ride out the storm.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
updated stats today in ohio:

704 confirmed cases
14764 tests
10 deaths

the increase from yesterday was only %24 instead of the usual %50 we've been seeing

maybe less tests, maybe a delay in the results, or maybe the separation has started working. i got a headstart and haven't gone out in over 2 weeks now.

Reactions: Muse

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Never have i felt this lucky, friend shared half this pack but look at this blackjack jackpot winner dude. Found this at the local Costco. Still was happy i had my single 1,000 sheet roll, the way i use it i could get a easy month to 3 depending on situations. That pack gonna last prob till 2021 for me easily.

Reactions: Muse

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
45plFYx.jpg

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
I'm starting to wonder if there's a better strategy, albeit very selfish: throw caution to the wind and get yourself infected. If you get a mild form, great, if not, well at least there are still some beds available.

@Shorty and the Germany/cremation cartoon - daaaamn, that's dark. LOL though.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So just snooped on our Trello board since I'm off today and tomorrow. Looks like they are finally letting us work from home, but they insist that the building needs someone 24/7 which defeats the whole purpose, as due to scheduling we'll all be in there at some point or the other. The easiest is to make the 12h workers stay at the office and 8h go home, but with the way our shifts work, you can be on say, 2 8h shifts, then 2 12h shifts, then back on 8 etc... it's kind of mixed. That will mean constantly bringing stuff back and forth, not to mention having a mix of people working in the same building anyway and potentially contaminating surfaces like the bathroom, coffee machine etc.

From an infection control point of view I'm not too happy as this is not going to actually do anything. From a point of view of just being able to work from home, I guess that is still going to be cool. But the way this whole thing is being done it just defeats the purpose really.

Ordered 2 4k monitors for at home (been wanting to upgrade anyway) so at least once those come in, I only need to bring my PC back and forth, and not my monitors too.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The numbers are insane:
  • Almost 500,000 confirmed cases worldwide
  • 7,500 dead in Italy
  • Nearly 1,000 dead in America
Although if what China is reporting is even remotely true, it's going to fall off at some point & start a downward trend. Hope it's sooner rather than later...my friend's coworker just lost her 7-week-old nephew to COVID-19 :(

corona.JPG

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's going to peak soon. While the numbers are ugly, it's no longer shocking. It looks like Italy has plateaued and will start to decline soon.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
More cases in my city, at 6 now. I think it will ramp up, probably hit 100+ within the next few weeks. People arn't taking the social distancing seriously enough and like pretty much everything is open. The list of exceptions is huge, it's basically everything but small businesses.

Nov 8, 2012
It's going to peak soon. While the numbers are ugly, it's no longer shocking. It looks like Italy has plateaued and will start to decline soon.

What do you mean by "peak soon". You mean peak within the US? Or peak globally?

Personally I think were going to see a domino effect. When one country starts going down, 5 more will be growing to hit their peak next.

As far as the US, I think were nowhere near peak. Maybe in 2 weeks we might.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
What do you mean by "peak soon". You mean peak within the US? Or peak globally?

Personally I think were going to see a domino effect. When one country starts going down, 5 more will be growing to hit their peak next.

Most of Europe and US are probably like 2-3 weeks behind Italy. So we'll probably peak in about 2-3 weeks. That's soon in my book.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Heard the city officials here in Newnan voted to close non-essential businesses today. Not sure how I verify that. Probably means I'm out of work for now. :(

Most of Europe and US are probably like 2-3 weeks behind Italy. So we'll probably peak in about 2-3 weeks. That's soon in my book.

Italy still needs to peak. :(

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@shortylickens

Does that pic constitute Godwin or anti-Godwin?

This is the most PERFECT impression of Trump. This is incredible.

That just reinforces how much I don't like listening to him speak. I don't understand how those speech patterns could resonate with anyone, even if you like what he's doing as President. So cringeworthy. Makes me miss W.

updated stats today in ohio:

704 confirmed cases
14764 tests
10 deaths

the increase from yesterday was only %24 instead of the usual %50 we've been seeing

maybe less tests, maybe a delay in the results, or maybe the separation has started working. i got a headstart and haven't gone out in over 2 weeks now.

That's . . . really low for Ohio.

Maybe, maybe not? I'm cautiously optimistic. We've had fewer Typhoid Mary types out there than I anticipated. Those Ohio numbers are low. One more week of lockdown and things may start to slow to a crawl, even if we let people back out.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Heard the city officials here in Newnan voted to close non-essential businesses today. Not sure how I verify that. Probably means I'm out of work for now. :(

Italy still needs to peak. :(
Sorry to hear that. But keep your chin up. Lot of people are in the same boat. And federal government is about to drop some helicopter money to you, and they're also going to increase unemployment check to $600 a week. So signup for unemployment if you're out of work.

Italy had declining cases for 2 days in row and been pretty stable the past week. Italy's total new cases 5,210, down from 5,249 yesterday. Italy total deaths 683, down from 743 yesterday. They've peaked.

ITALYLOMBARDY.png

Nov 8, 2012
More info on how the stimulus checks are SUPPOSEDLY calculated.

I say SUPPOSEDLY, because until it's on a legal doc it should always be considered hearsay.

Income amounts for the payments made this year are based on 2019 tax returns, or 2018 tax returns for people who haven’t filed their 2019 return yet. For those who haven’t filed a tax return in either year, the IRS can look at income information in Social Security benefit and Railroad Retirement benefit statements to determine eligibility.

The payments are essentially an advance on a credit against 2020 taxes. People who receive advance payments based on their 2018 or 2019 income but qualify for a bigger credit amount based on their income this year will receive the remainder of the credit amount to which they are entitled when they file their 2020 tax returns next year.

Recipients will not have to pay any money back to the government if their 2020 income is greater than their income in previous years, according to a Republican aide for the Senate Finance Committee.

Reactions: Muse and CZroe

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Ok so who's not getting shit?

My wife stopped working in late 2018, deferred her severence pay of 1 yr to 2019 tax season. So with our luck, they're using 2019 reported figures. Joy.

So, $3,900? LOL thanks. It's not nearly enough to help those that need it and it is just a gift to those that don't.

So how nuts is everyone here going? To the point yet of wiping down all your mail pieces (and packages) with hand-sanitize?

When you get take-out food to you wipe down the bag and to-go box that the food is in

No but I have been washing my hands since Jan when this all started. Kinda nice staying home on the weekends as I can let my hands enjoy not getting scrubbed.

Still doing take-out but that will probably slow down even more soon to virtually non-existent.

Wait for it, the shocking will return. Not so much the cases, which will be many, but the fact that of all the places where they have stopped the growth life has not returned to normal because that is the only way to keep it down.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
That's . . . really low for Ohio.

companies around here been having people work from home and slowing things down for a couple of weeks now

the governor has been listening to the doctors and acting on their advice

just sucks for most small businesses and a bunch of people though, they are really struggling income-wise

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
OK, this was unexpected. My local hospital just furloughed 200 people due to lack of patients.
Approximately 225 to 275 employees will be affected by the furlough.

A decrease in the number of patients being treated at the hospital’s facilities and a resulting lack of revenue made the furlough unavoidable.

Most employees affected staffed the various outpatient services that have been discontinued along with elective surgeries during ongoing coronavirus mitigation efforts.
“This virus really kind of derailed everything,” he said.
I guess if you have to get derailed it's better to have too few patients than too many, right?

Although, we might just be getting started here. The county i live in just had our 1st positive test.
The person is a [hospital] employee who does not work in or around the hospital setting, has mild symptoms and is isolated at home.