NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 204 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
So how nuts is everyone here going? To the point yet of wiping down all your mail pieces (and packages) with hand-sanitize?

When you get take-out food to you wipe down the bag and to-go box that the food is in
I do none of those things. I just get the stuff, unpack it, then wash my hands. No rationale to go overboard.

Reactions: Captante

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Ok so who's not getting shit?

My wife stopped working in late 2018, deferred her severence pay of 1 yr to 2019 tax season. So with our luck, they're using 2019 reported figures. Joy.

I wonder if the check will count as taxable income for next year...lol

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Ok so who's not getting shit?

My wife stopped working in late 2018, deferred her severence pay of 1 yr to 2019 tax season. So with our luck, they're using 2019 reported figures. Joy.

The articles I read said they would use 2019 figures if you have sent in your return, 2018 if you haven't.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
So how nuts is everyone here going? To the point yet of wiping down all your mail pieces (and packages) with hand-sanitize?
I just let mail and other things sit around for three days without being touched, when possible.
When you get take-out food to you wipe down the bag and to-go box that the food is in
Haven't gotten take-out food for a couple of weeks for this reason. :(

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I have instituted a system. Mail I get today is set aside, then I wash my hands. I open mail received over 8 days ago. Same for any packages. I don't have hand sanitizer, I do have alcohol, but the system I describe should require no substances, nothing besides time to assure no infection... assuming what they say about time doing the job.

I will not be getting any take out food until this is over. My groceries are going to be left on my porch in paper shopping bags. I'm trying to figure out just how safe that is. I figure it's my major vulnerability, but it may actually not be significant... I'm not sure.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Haven't gotten take-out food for a couple of weeks for this reason. :(

Is getting takeout much less of a concern than buying food at the grocery store? I mean, lots more people have touched that head of lettuce or package of chicken than whoever bagged your takeout.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Is getting takeout much less of a concern than buying food at the grocery store? I mean, lots more people have touched that head of lettuce or package of chicken than whoever bagged your takeout.
You don't eat groceries right away like you typically do with prepared foods like take-out.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I am microwaving basically everything that wont melt or metal. Including washing and microwaving the filters for my masks and 3m respirator.
I have enough equipment where I can set them aside for a week or whatever and use others. However, I really don't need that stuff around the house (i.e. N95 and nitrile gloves). If I do use an N95 somewhere, I can set aside and reuse when deemed safe.
Nada. Although my state's on lockdown as of Monday, so pretty much just chilling at home. Remoting in as needed. Been testing delivery from some places.

Only downside is my skin is dying from so much hand-washing lol.
Haven't gotten there, but this morning I did yesterday's dishes, built up in the sink. However, I put on nitrile gloves before washing them. Saves me from "dishpan hands."
On behalf of my state, I apologize to all Americans:

That was on March 5. We had a big family/friends planned-way-in-advanced shindig in San Diego the weekend of Feb. 29-Mar. 1, I flew back to Oakland International Sunday, Mar. 1. I WAS somewhat nervous about attending, but figured at that stage, my likelihood of contracting covid-19 that weekend was maybe 1/1000. We were IMO just under the wire for when it was a no-go.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
You don't eat groceries right away like you typically do with prepared foods like take-out.
...and for cooked foods takeout has been handled by other people after cooking where home-cooked food has not.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Well, party on bros!

It's hard to imagine all the places this one could go.
It doesn't take much to ruin it for everyone. I followed South Korea story pretty closely and amount of chaos and damage caused by the actions of the church cult members there was insane. This virus is incredibly hard to control when people don't take protective measures and don't follow orders. People in Western society are not used to doing what they're told. Every time I see pictures from social media showing people gathering and partying in groups not caring about the virus, I shake my head. As much as people worry about NY, California, and Washington right now, I actually worry about Florida more. I don't think people are focusing enough on Florida right now. That's going to be scary state IMO.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hey guys, does restocking on liquor count as essential during a stay at home period?
Dude, they say to lay off the booze if you want to survive a bout with covid-19, and I'm sure they mean to do this well in advance of coming down with it. I haven't touched a drop in maybe 10 days. I have enough on hand to get 50 people very drunk. Nobody's safe, you, I, could have it right now and not know it. We could be contagious... right now! Act accordingly.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Dude, they say to lay off the booze if you want to survive a bout with covid-19, and I'm sure they mean to do this well in advance of coming down with it. I haven't touched a drop in maybe 10 days. I have enough on hand to get 50 people very drunk. Nobody's safe, you, I, could have it right now and not know it. We could be contagious... right now! Act accordingly.

Many may be wondering why liquor stores are essential. I don't know the government's reason but from a health care perspective, the addiction to alcohol is real and a lot of bad things will happen to those who have a severe case and to those around them that will take the literal blunt force impact such as spouses.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

We're on track in the US to surpass Italy in total cases today, and maybe even China, which will make us the world epicenter for SARS-CoV-2 either way (not that I believe China's numbers).

Hold on tight, boys.

Edit: OK, the number revised back down to 60,000. Not as bad as I thought but we'll still be there in a day or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris
Nov 8, 2012
Hilarious the priorities that we have as humans....

Stopped by the total wine just get a bit more Jack. The shopping center it's in has all kinds of stores, sporting stores, home stores, furniture, etc...

Virtually every store had 0, 1, or at most 2 cars in front of them.... Except the liquor store lol. Saw a good 20-25 cars there.

Nov 8, 2012

We're on track in the US to surpass Italy in total cases today, and maybe even China, which will make us the world epicenter for SARS-CoV-2 either way (not that I believe China's numbers).

Hold on tight, boys.

Yet no where near the number of deaths? I mean, is that not a 100% proof indicator that Italy just doesn't have the healthcare capacity?

Either that or Italy is severely undercounting their cases?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yet no where near the number of deaths? I mean, is that not a 100% proof indicator that Italy just doesn't have the healthcare capacity?

Or we're testing significantly more people, and catching a ton of people in the early stages before they die.

Note that our recovered count is also very low. Give it two weeks and see where we shake out.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

Revised that post with this:

Edit: OK, the number revised back down to 60,000. Not as bad as I thought but we'll still be there in a day or so.

The number was showing around 69,000 before.

Anyway, we need to wait to know for sure... I mean, look at the number of recovered so far: It's less than half the number of deaths. Gotta give it some time.

Yeah, we definitely haven't hit our full capacity outside of maybe New York so I expect total deaths to be much lower even with a higher number of total cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Hold on tight, boys.

Edit: OK, the number revised back down to 60,000. Not as bad as I thought but we'll be there in a few short days.
That's just confirmed, in the nation with the worst testing. There are millions of infected in the USA. As far as I'm concerned (I'm not a health care worker) the zombie apocalypse is here.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

Italy's cases are concentrated in a much smaller area then the USA. They don't have the capacity for that.

BTW: Using a youtube live stream for an essentially static list of numbers is a horrible waste of bandwidth.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would still like to point out that the dire cases requiring medical attention are the ones that ultimately step forward requesting medical care. Those ones get tested and those get counted faster than any other case of Covid-19. You really have to look at hospitalization rates to get a clearer idea of the severity of the outbreak here.

We've likely got a lot more cases than have been reported as confirmed, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to be showing up with pneumonia as often as they do in places like Italy.

Reactions: Captante and CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
BTW: Using a youtube live stream for an essentially static list of numbers is a horrible waste of bandwidth.
That's not all it is but even if it were it updates constantly ("real time") as reports come through and covers all countries/territories known to have cases.

It also runs live WHO panels and other streaming videos in the area on the left when they go live. It's much more up-to-date than any news coverage. They have a system where you can link sources in the live chat for moderators to update the numbers if you have info they missed.

Yesterday they had a live stream of the Italian official talking about it. The day before someone from the WHO rubbed her nose and then interrupted herself to say she shouldn't touch her face. Yeah, not exactly riveting content but better and more-complete updates than you'd get leaving most news programs running in the background.

There's also a live newswire headline feed that has tipped me off to breaking stories many times.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Holy crap why is there still so much air traffic in the states? Why didn't they cancel fights yet? Here in Canada most of the airlines are not operating other than essential flights.

This is how you continue the spread of the virus. That's an insane amount of air traffic. :eek: Lot of them are planes coming in too.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Holy crap why is there still so much air traffic in the states? Why didn't they cancel fights yet? Here in Canada most of the airlines are not operating other than essential flights.

This is how you continue the spread of the virus. That's an insane amount of air traffic. :eek: Lot of them are planes coming in too.
Cargo
Mail
Medical
Food
...and on and on