NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 199 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Newly-updated version of that bargraph video just went live:

His first one didn't get nearly enough views while it was still relevant and is now over a week out of date. It's really concerning to watch the graph's scale inflate as soon as community spread starts in particular countries. Everyone needs to see this.
After watching that I watched the following one, which I highly recommend. It gets into immunity, is well presented and gets into antibody detection, something I was getting really curious about:

Reactions: CZroe

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
to explain, only the italian embassy would help me, but then they would likely only repatriate me .. to italy. where i do not live.
british embassy would probably not even let me in as i don't have a british passport.

my situation is, that I'm in awesome weather in a house (AirBnB) that i pay less per month that i would pay my house in the UK. I am also not paying my UK house as i was in-between houses and all my stuff is in storage.

Work ... i believe that my job is safe as long as it is demonstrable that i cannot return. Im also on a sort-of set wage so technically if i cannot return but just wait it out here, I'm actually on a profit. Life in Argentina is CHEAP. I have been here over 2 weeks and i've spent about $300.

Reactions: Muse and CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
to explain, only the italian embassy would help me, but then they would likely only repatriate me .. to italy. where i do not live.
british embassy would probably not even let me in as i don't have a british passport.

my situation is, that I'm in awesome weather in a house (AirBnB) that i pay less per month that i would pay my house in the UK. I am also not paying my UK house as i was in-between houses and all my stuff is in storage.

Work ... i believe that my job is safe as long as it is demonstrable that i cannot return. Im also on a sort-of set wage so technically if i cannot return but just wait it out here, I'm actually on a profit. Life in Argentina is CHEAP. I have been here over 2 weeks and i've spent about $300.
Definitely good to count your blessings as it could have been much worse. I hope this works out in the end!

Reactions: Captante

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Was just washing my hands and face and I had a thought...

could it help to leave soap on your face and in your nostrils? Even if it dries out it could reliquify if it transfers with the virus to your mucous membranes.

Also, I keep forgetting to mention this but I'd prefer dish detergent or regular soap over antibacterial soap. Not just because viruses aren't bacteria, but because they have bactine in them, which leaves a protective film on your skin rather than washing clean. If the film itself doesn't wash away from the soapy water then perhaps it could harbor the virus. Maybe it breaks down the lipid envelope too, I dunno, but it seems to me that regular soap is a safer bet.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
it has happened.

my carrier, Nowergian airlines, has cancelled my flight. All other flights for the next month are showing as booked.
Pending confirmation from them tomorrow, i may have to remain in Argentina for the foreseeable future.

Unsure at the moment if this is a blessing or a curse.

Plenty of beef and wine. You good.

Nov 8, 2012
YEA!! Lets end social distancing Trump. Open up those borders.

Yea, but you touched the screen without gloves. Did you wash your hands?

That video is clearly bullshit. It's from a long time ago and someone slapped Coronavirus on it to get views.

Tons of these types of videos from 2019.

Reactions: pmv

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Does anyone know how I determine when it's time for another flu shot? I got one last summer when a bunch of people were getting sick.

If the shot has been updated for newer strains, I should get another flu shot. How do I know when / if it has been updated?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
That video is clearly bullshit. It's from a long time ago and someone slapped Coronavirus on it to get views.

Tons of these types of videos from 2019.

No wonder the person touched the food after touching the screen without disinfecting her hand.

Dec 10, 2005
Does anyone know how I determine when it's time for another flu shot? I got one last summer when a bunch of people were getting sick.

If the shot has been updated for newer strains, I should get another flu shot. How do I know when / if it has been updated?
Influenza vaccines for the next season are usually released in August/September, if I remember correctly. And you'll want to get it as early as possible, as it can take 2-4 weeks for your body to build the immunity from the vaccine.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007

The flu vaccine is released in October. So you received the 2018/2019 vaccine, not the updated 2019/2020 vaccine.

Reactions: Muse

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

i see, well keep us up to date and be safe out there!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
. The problem they have now is there's surplus veggies and food all over the country because schools are closed and there's less overall demand. So farmers are suffering and vegetables in storage are rotting.

TIL Korean school lunches are healthier than the average meal

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
17 days... wow!

They detected rna, but did not mention if the intact whole virus was still viable. (Virus is rna surrounded by a protein coat)

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Olympics has been postponed. Japans numbers are still incredibly low. Who still thinks Japan is lying? Who still thinks being obnoxiously clean and courteous is a bad idea?

• Haha
Reactions: Muse