NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 198 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm actually more hopeful and optimistic tonight than I've been in several days. Of course that can quickly change as I'm processing new information daily about this virus. But the fact the infected numbers have gone down for 2 straight days in Italy along with now decline of new daily numbers in Germany, France, and Spain give me hope the worst might be behind us. I know we'll get explosion of cases here in parts of the US but I now feel like we'll contain it. We're trying different drugs. I listened to little bit of the daily Trump virus conference talk tonight and felt Trump is finally getting it somewhat. At least the parts I watched tonight felt little less like circus and circle jerk. I agree with him we need to think about opening certain parts of the country again and that it's critical to get companies and people back to working again. Give the companies the abilities to test their workers and give everyone masks. Test for antibodies with blood test. Setup some kind of system and protocols. But the country needs to go back to work soon. Or else we will go into Great Depression 2.0. We need to do everything we can to avoid that. Because once we go into Great Depression 2.0, it's like falling into an abyss. That scares me more than the virus.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
So the federal government may allow people to go back to work according to today's briefing on tv. And that people could choose to work or keep on staying at home. If that takes effect in just 2 or 3 weeks imagine if some hotels or other businesses choose to keep their employees at home for fear of the virus. Employees could sue the business for not having them go back to work after the feds say it's ok. I think it would be a first in law cases.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Umm.

Still not on the level with alcohol DUI, but it does happen. Not trying to turn this into a weed thread btw, just thought I'd point out that THC DUI does happen, and it can kill.

LOL wow i am amazed there is cases, well if you give someone stupid a substance then i guess they can be stupid on anything then. I am not in Colorado so idk what those people are doing over there, i know so many people who smoke or have edibles with all of them behaving on it.Most including myself use it medically sometimes i have some fun but when i can afford it. The few i know who drink, well we have had so many problems here its now prohibited at the house and that's fine by me. I don't miss it.

Like with beer, you need to be using this responsibly. Fucking stupid people gonna ruin it for everyone else. Never in my entire life been drunk/high and even as much sat in a drivers seat, its simple logic NOT to mix the two. Why is such a rule so hard to follow? Did these same people eat glue and snort their markers in school? Weed is not habit forming, so unlike alcohol you can't say you need a fix to get behind the wheel to get such fix. It's just stupid people at this point, simple and plain.

Never met a angry pot smoker.I had a roomie who was in another roomies face calling him all kinds of racial slurs to his face, he was so mellow on his indica smoke he wasn't even phased, just told her to back off and he went into his room. If this guy was drunk and she got in his face with that? She would forget her name i bet if he decided to whop that ass, she was asking for it. She was quite vulgar.

Yeah this going off topic but nice job finding some cases, i figured if there was a case its in a State like Colorado LOL. Just you never hear cause its so rare i guess, just bad behavior of people with things naturally good. Leave it to the human race to turn a good thing into a negative thing.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Another case in my city, we're at 4 now. This is going to skyrocket, apparently there was a stag and doe event on the 7th which puts us a little past the 14 day mark where cases are now starting to show up. Accounting for delay in people getting tested and getting results, it seems to be lining up just right.

That event should have been cancelled... this is the kind of stuff that frustrates me, not enough people and organizations are taking this social distancing seriously enough. Including my company. Going to bring it up to H&S tomorrow that we're no longer comfortable coming in.

I think the government is going to put their foot down soon, I'm sure they are getting frustrated too. I just hope whatever happens we will still be allowed to go outside for a walk, alone of course.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
My local movies was closed, had closed on the left side and right side said wash your hands on the signs for attractions. Place looks completely abandoned honestly and before this we had movies playing. Shame cause this small town of like 100k combined has nothing left to do besides sky diving, its a quiet little town. But yeah we all need to stay home to stop this spread, not been a issue here. Between my gaming pc, hot tube a nice porch to sit and relax on i see no real reason to mix with the real world again till its over. :) I like being home anyways so no big deal here.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
TBH, I'm not living on that level. Don't think you're hearing a lot of sarcasm out of me.

Gallows humour is best humour.

Have to wonder if the people who took it are Trump voters. I would say probably.

Trump voters from Nigeria?

Best never to listen to that man anyway. It isn't "his cure"; there were some stories about hydroxychloroquine (which is far less-toxic to humans than old-school chloroquine) showing promise against SARS in limited trials in the past. He has no idea how medicine works, so taking drugs on his advice is generally not a good idea. Waiting for trials to be run by real scientists/doctors is a good idea.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Gallows humour is best humour.

Trump voters from Nigeria?

Best never to listen to that man anyway. It isn't "his cure"; there were some stories about hydroxychloroquine (which is far less-toxic to humans than old-school chloroquine) showing promise against SARS in limited trials in the past. He has no idea how medicine works, so taking drugs on his advice is generally not a good idea. Waiting for trials to be run by real scientists/doctors is a good idea.
I first heard about hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine possibly working because I follow Elon Musk and he tweeted about it back on March 16.

New York City is supposed to have large supply of the drug on hand so we shall see if it works.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I first heard about hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine possibly working because I follow Elon Musk and he tweeted about it back on March 16.

Slashdot also had a story about it, albeit later than that I think.

Jesus wept.

I went to eBay to see if off-label hydroxycholoquine was available without presecription. It, chloroquine, and quinine are all malaria remedies. British Imperials used to take quinine with their drinks:

I figured some variant of the drug had to be available without prescription, given how old it is. Sure enough, there it was . . . in treatments for aquarium parasites. With big labels on the front saying "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMTPION". There's a reason for that, kids. Aquarium chemicals may contain unlisted (or "inactive") ingredients intended to aid in their use in an aquarium setting (or to make the product cheap, depending on the source). Not in you! Also dosage is an issue. Quinine and chloroquine are both toxic to humans to one extent or another. I had wondered if anyone would be stupid enough to try getting a tub of the stuff on eBay and using it on themselves. Now I know.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
My state's "stay home, stay safe" ban went into effect tonight:

The list of who is allowed is huge...basically everyone, lol. Technically I'm free to continue operating, as I fall under the "Essential Service Vendors" in the technology support group, but most of my clients have setup telecommuting over the past week & have closed up shop for a few weeks. I'll run out if there's a site emergency, but I plan on just dialing in remotely as much as possible & chilling for a couple of weeks. Silver lining, I have a bunch of recipes to try out & projects to catch up on!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Same here was going through the list of "essential" and it's huge. Even liquor and weed is considered essential lol. Yes even weed. Weed shops have to stay open.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Walking dead actor. $9k for COVID-19 test. Redicilous. It's why our health care system SUCKS!

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
The wife and I are both exempt here in WA state. She will just be going in to clean up and feed animals. I think after the shutdown she will have to close her doors. It's fucking horrible. She started the business just under 2 years ago and started turning a profit 2 months ago.

I'm not sure if I am going to be able to work. I can work alone and honestly I would rather work alone than lose all of my vacation and sick time.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Walking dead actor. $9k for COVID-19 test. Redicilous. It's why our health care system SUCKS!

Get the commie cough, sue the pinkos that sent it here. Woke actor is probably sending this shit from his iphone made in a chinese sweatshop.

Doesnt sag offer health insurance?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Texas -

Essential’ retail businesses
  • Grocery stores
  • Warehouse stores
  • Big-box stores
  • Bodegas
  • Liquor stores
  • Gas stations and convenience stores
  • Farmers markets that sell food products and household staples
  • Businesses that ship or deliver groceries directly to homes
  • Restaurants and other facilities that prepare and serve food are only permitted to remain open for delivery or carryout services
  • Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers
  • Automotive suppliers as well as auto and bicycle repair services
  • Hardware stores
  • Any business that supplies products needed for people to work remotely during the pandemic

Essential’ services
  • Businesses that provide social services and services necessary to life for the economically disadvantaged
  • Trash and recycling collection, processing and disposal
  • Mail and shipping services
  • Building cleaning and maintenance
  • Warehouse, distribution and fulfillment services
  • Storage services for essential businesses included in this list
  • Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries
  • Plumbers, electricians, exterminators and other services necessary for maintaining the safety, sanitation and operations of residences and businesses included in this list
  • Professional services such as legal and accounting services for businesses included in this list
  • News media
  • Child care facilities that provide services to employees of businesses included in this list.
  • Ride-hailing services like Uber, Lyft and delivery drivers are also essential services, according to a tweet from Judge Jenkins on Monday.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

Well, a lot of TWD cast members are neighbors here... I used to see Melissa McBride walk her dog Lincoln every day when we were in the same apartment building. This guy's been off the show for a few years but the interview makes it clear he still lives here.

It's definitely here.

I went to CVS Minute Clinic for a late flu shot today even though I already had flu this season. Can't risk getting or spreading another strain with the strain that will be already overburdening the healthcare system. That's the whole reason I had to stay out of work for a cold this last week (definitely a cold since sneezing is not a symptom of COVID-19 and sore throat without fever aligns more with cold than flu or COVID-19).

Anyway, I saw where they had the pick-up counter payment terminals moved to tables supposedly to maintain 6ft distance from the registers but it was actually less and I saw them break this separation multiple times... like when they asked me to write my info on a slip of paper: they bare-handed me a pen and I had to bear down on the counter (no tables there).

When I handed it back I saw her go to the pick-up counter and lean all the way across to push something on the payment terminal's touch screen after someone else walked away. Again: that touch-screen payment terminal is supposed to be 6ft from the register/counter but here she is touching it with her bare hands. There were literally sanitary disinfectant wipes on a stand next to that table which is what I used when I was forced to interact with that machine.

Next, she handed me a clipboard and another pen (probably should have told me to hang on to the first) to check off and sign stuff, which she also received back bare-handed. In the mean time the guy who walked away earlier had come back and she finished interacting with him at the payment/pick-up counter. I may have missed something but I never saw her wiping down pens/clip boards/counters though she *may" have disinfected her hands and I couldn't tell (wall was higher between counters) but I feel she was going back and forth between us too fast for that to be likely.

The guy administering the shot was in a face mask. I was able to keep my hands clean using their wipes and the place wasn't so crowded that I couldn't maintain 6ft distance from anyone. Didn't even feel the needle (seriously: glanced away while he was prepping me and didn't even know I got stuck). Cost me $30 without insurance. If you haven't had one, get one, because the regular seasonal flu can cost more lives than ever by adding to the healthcare load and we certainly don't need that spreading around at the same time.

Reactions: Muse and pcgeek11

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
it has happened.

my carrier, Nowergian airlines, has cancelled my flight. All other flights for the next month are showing as booked.
Pending confirmation from them tomorrow, i may have to remain in Argentina for the foreseeable future.

Unsure at the moment if this is a blessing or a curse.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaido

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Newly-updated version of that bargraph video just went live:

His first one didn't get nearly enough views while it was still relevant and is now over a week out of date. It's really concerning to watch the graph's scale inflate as soon as community spread starts in particular countries. Everyone needs to see this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annisman*

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
it has happened.

my carrier, Nowergian airlines, has cancelled my flight. All other flights for the next month are showing as booked.
Pending confirmation from them tomorrow, i may have to remain in Argentina for the foreseeable future.

Unsure at the moment if this is a blessing or a curse.

Here you go bro. just call them.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'm just short of one american passport to be able to call them.

also to make things worse, I'm Italian, but i live in the UK, so really neither would be able to help me.
(maybe the UK one but I'm not sure)
That really sucks. What's the weather like? Trying to imagine what I would do in your situation. I know I wouldn't want to stay in an expensive hotel for an indeterminate amount of time. Might be good to get some camping equipment and be ready to self-isolate in place somewhere there.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
I'm just short of one american passport to be able to call them.

also to make things worse, I'm Italian, but i live in the UK, so really neither would be able to help me.
(maybe the UK one but I'm not sure)
uh, so what passport do you have. are you actually in trouble or are you just trolling us? there are both italian and british embassies in argentina.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Cost me $30 without insurance. If you haven't had one, get one, because the regular seasonal flu can cost more lives than ever by adding to the healthcare load and we certainly don't need that spreading around at the same time.
My HMO pays for my flu shot. I got it the first day I could this year. Actually it was before that, before the first day they announced it was available but I called and found out I could get it early and I did.

Caught something in Dec. don't know what it was. No fun, not extremely uncomfortable/sick, but it was way slower to disappear than I'd hoped. I had it, I think, at least a couple of weeks. No fever involved.

Pens! I went to the bank on Wednesday, March 12. I was the only customer. I used their pen, the one sitting in the pen holder, but if I had to do it again, I'd hope to use my own pen. I always have one in my pocket, but I didn't think of it. I did wash my hands the minute I got back home.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
All sorts of crazy legal issues can happen with the possible federal plan to have Americana go back to work in just 3 weeks. What if some big companies give employees the option of staying at home if they are afraid of the virus. And if the companies still pay them anyway. If it's a job where they can't work from home then what if not enough come to work.

That may sound dumb that a company would still pay them at home for not working but this is a unique case with humanitarian issues like no other. If it appears it will ruin the companies can the president issue an executive order to force the companies to stop paying them if they don't work? Or an executive order forcing the employees to go back to work if they are getting paid?

Some decades ago in the US a lot of coal miners went on strike over pay and benefits issues. And the president at the time ordered them back to work. I think most of the miners ignored the order but I'd have to check. Today with the virus it's fear of catching the virus that actually may make some avoid going back to work. But that's just a theory because many will go to work thinking they have a very small chance of showing any symtoms. And that may be right. Or they are Republicans.

Jeez why can't I shorten these kinds of posts.