NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 174 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Year long quarantine is Mad Max world. Seriously. There would be no world economy and your money would be worthless.
Depending on this thread/forum/internet/electricity status, let's bump this in a year and see where we're at?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Actually you did.

I went along with it, but you brought it up.

You’re right, I did say that - because you kept dodging my question and I threw that out as an example and that’s exactly what you quoted above. Note I didn’t say 3 year quarantine - I asked you what you would do if a vaccine took 3 years to make. You also seemed to be OK with the possibility of a years-long quarantine, which is the disturbing part.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You’re right, I did say that - because you kept dodging my question and I threw that out as an example and that’s exactly what you quoted above. Note I didn’t say 3 year quarantine - I asked you what you would do if a vaccine took 3 years to make. You also seemed to be OK with the possibility of a years-long quarantine, which is the disturbing part.
Yeah, I'm more okay with that than either dying, ending up with lifelong lung issues, or exposing people who could suffer from the same. I now acknowledge that not everyone feels that way, and that's really disturbing to me.

How far are you willing to take this? What if the US or state government declares martial law? Will you riot, join a militia, attempt to overthrow the government? Steal a boat so you can sail to Cambodia for some lobster? How far does your conviction carry you?

Reactions: Muse

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Gonna have to lose my beard to seal my respirator. Maybe shave my head too since my last haircut was in January:
vjoBNt9l.jpg

Just let me remember what it was. :( Charging the razor...

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Yeah, I'm more okay with that than either dying, ending up with lifelong lung issues, or exposing people who could suffer from the same. I now acknowledge that not everyone feels that way, and that's really disturbing to me.

How far are you willing to take this? What if the US or state government declares martial law? Will you riot, join a militia, attempt to overthrow the government? Steal a boat so you can sail to Cambodia for some lobster? How far does your conviction carry you?

I already said what I thought was acceptable and it got your panties in a wad. You’re willing to (potentially) give up years of your life because you think it might make you safe. What was it a famous person once said about giving up freedoms for security?

Telling people to hide in their homes for 12+ months will never float - not only with me, but for the vast majority of people. You and Moses over there might be fine doing that, but back in the real world, the rest of us won’t. And I’m an introvert saying this.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I already said what I thought was acceptable and it got your panties in a wad. You’re willing to (potentially) give up years of your life because you think it might make you safe. What was it a famous person once said about giving up freedoms for security?

Telling people to hide in their homes for 12+ months will never float - not only with me, but for the vast majority of people. You and Moses over there might be fine doing that, but back in the real world, the rest of us won’t. And I’m an introvert saying this.

I would not really call it giving up years of life. If there was an actual mandate to stay at home for that long, I would hope that the government would have some kind of financial aid to go along with that. It would be like a really long vacation where you can do hobbies and stuff.

Only downside is if stuff is closed it would be kinda hard to do too many projects that require material. I guess stick to code related projects or hobbies that use stuff you already have.

But yeah I don't think it would work out if they did mandate it, people would just start to refuse doing it.

This is why the current isolation needs to be taken more seriously. The more people self isolate now the less long it will need to go on for, ideally. They need to close down more things. Why are malls and public transit still open? Close that shit down.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'm making a choice to not potentially get infected or infect others, that's a freedom I have. I wouldn't support the government imposing a full-on lockdown, though I suspect that will happen, as THAT would be exchanging freedom for security. And to clarify, while I do have concern for my own safety for reasons other than myself, I'm more concerned for others. I've got family that depends on me, as well as older parents who would easily be in the 'will die' bucket list if this goes to hell. I don't take kindly to people being willing to risk those others because they might get bored.

Take note, anyone reading this thread. There's people out there like this poster who are willing to get other people killed because they don't want to be bored. That should terrify the shit out of people.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just logged into our Trello board for curiosity sake, looks like they are FINALLY getting the ball rolling to get us working from home. Still don't know how long it will take to actually get it done though. But they got the softphone licenses and they sent VPN instructions... which hopefully means they also granted us access. Tried my access already and I didn't have it so I put in a ticket a week ago and it just got denied. They still need to order headsets for the softphone though, since normal audio ones don't work with the softphone, it has to be a very specific USB one designed for that one. This could still be a while, but at least things are somewhat moving.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
LA has issued a stay-at-home order. Non-essential business closed.
Pennsylvania non-essential businesses to close.
And mine own NYS has requested all recently retired, as well as students and healthcare staff to report for duty.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'm making a choice to not potentially get infected or infect others, that's a freedom I have. I wouldn't support the government imposing a full-on lockdown, though I suspect that will happen, as THAT would be exchanging freedom for security. And to clarify, while I do have concern for my own safety for reasons other than myself, I'm more concerned for others. I've got family that depends on me, as well as older parents who would easily be in the 'will die' bucket list if this goes to hell. I don't take kindly to people being willing to risk those others because they might get bored.

Take note, anyone reading this thread. There's people out there like this poster who are willing to get other people killed because they don't want to be bored. That should terrify the shit out of people.

Take note, anyone reading this thread - there are people out there like this poster who would gladly have you quarantined and locked down for years if necessary (contrary to the mild assertion made above that he supposedly doesn’t support a full-on lockdown) out of some misguided notion that your freedoms are completely disposable and that we just need to sacrifice even more to save people because they can’t save themselves. That should terrify the shit out of people.

(The “might get bored” quote above is a red herring - he knows it and everyone else does as well).

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
(The “might get bored” quote above is a red herring - he knows it and everyone else does as well).
Howso? You yourself said that you'd prefer to be traveling around, and you're fine with risking people's lives for it. Can you not occupy yourself in other ways?

can’t save themselves
Sorry, how does you infecting them compute to 'cannot save themselves'? I think you're missing the point I'm making, by you being out on the town, YOU may become the vector of death and suffering. Why are you ok with that?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Howso? You yourself said that you'd prefer to be traveling around, and you're fine with risking people's lives for it. Can you not occupy yourself in other ways?

Such a limited worldview you have - to equate wanting to see the world and experience new cultures, cuisines, and experiences as simply something we do out of a sense of boredom. It is so much more.

Sorry, how does you infecting them compute to 'cannot save themselves'? I think you're missing the point I'm making, by you being out on the town, YOU may become the vector of death and suffering. Why are you ok with that?

Let’s restate what we are talking about in the first place. We are talking about the hypothetical situation posed to you as a result of my reaction to an article which stated that this infection may come in waves for 18+ months. The hypothetical was this: what if a vaccine takes years to develop? Unless I misunderstood you, you said you’d be fine self-quarantining for years. This is the situation we are discussing because I am shocked that anyone would resign themselves to that fate.

I’m not “OK” with infecting people, but I’m also not “OK” with throwing my hands in the air and saying “Welp, I guess I’ll stay at home for years on end waiting for a vaccine which may never come to rescue me, because there is just no other solution to avoid infecting people.” In the meantime, years of my life would slip away that I’d never get back. I might even die before the end is in sight. My point is a simple one, and one I’ve asked you in at least one post - at some point, you do have to draw the line. Years-long quarantine is not feasible or a realistic solution. Society and civilization itself would not withstand that. It’s untenable. You can wave off concerns with things like “well who cares, I don’t go to sporting events, weddings, or travel, so I’m fine with that,” but that is an extreme position with which almost no one would agree. So where do you draw the line?

Reactions: killster1

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Let’s restate what we are talking about in the first place. We are talking about the hypothetical situation posed to you as a result of my reaction to an article which stated that this infection may come in waves for 18+ months. The hypothetical was this: what if a vaccine takes years to develop? Unless I misunderstood you, you said you’d be fine self-quarantining for years. This is the situation we are discussing because I am shocked that anyone would resign themselves to that fate.
Well, I don't see it as 'resigning myself to that fate'. I'd literally be fine with working from home, buying supplies from the hardware store, growing my Sequoias, growing some vegetables, taking care of chickens and some goats (assuming my GF would let me have them), play some video games, watch netflix, and generally chill with my life until the day I die. That's not to say I wouldn't love to see more of the world than I've already seen, but even if I could afford it I would NOT, I repeat NOT unreasonably risk the life of myself, my GF, or other people for that. I don't care that much about seeing the fucking Library of Alexandria, much less some random fucking canyon in south Africa, or some dumb tower in some city.
I’m not “OK” with infecting people, but I’m also not “OK” with throwing my hands in the air and saying “Welp, I guess I’ll stay at home for years on end waiting for a vaccine which may never come to rescue me, because there is just no other solution to avoid infecting people.” In the meantime, years of my life would slip away that I’d never get back. I might even die before the end is in sight. My point is a simple one, and one I’ve asked you in at least one post - at some point, you do have to draw the line. Years-long quarantine is not feasible or a realistic solution. Society and civilization itself would not withstand that. It’s untenable. You can wave off concerns with things like “well who cares, I don’t go to sporting events, weddings, or travel, so I’m fine with that,” but that is an extreme position with which almost no one would agree. So where do you draw the line?
Consider this, you might die if you get infected. You might die from an infection you got filling up with gas, because some asshat that has the same attitude as you pumped gas before you did, and HE was infected.

Society itself can absolutely withstand a limitation of global travel and a limited isolation to localized areas, we lived that way for about 20,000 years until airplanes were invented. I don't particularly give a shit if the dow crashes to 2k, and we all learn how to homestead again.

Honestly, we draw the line at whatever the government says we do. If enough people maintain the attitude that you have, the government will be FORCED to enforce a complete closure of everything, will quarantine all citizens, deliver food door to door, etc. That's an authoritarian hellscape but the government has a duty to preserve the lives of its citizens, and if its citizens are going to act like goddamn lemmings walking off a cliff, they're going to chain you to a tree so you can't wander off. It will happen, because they have the guns, and if you die you can't participate in the economy.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
man, i think i got a legit non-corona medical problem, but there's no way i can go to the doctor

just gonna have to wait it out

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
man, i think i got a legit non-corona medical problem, but there's no way i can go to the doctor

just gonna have to wait it out
we know you have diarrhea of the mouth and crybabyism ;) you ever heard of a online dr you see through video chat? i guess not.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Pennsylvania non-essential businesses to close.
All this happened after i left work today. I Guess i'll find out tomorrow if we're essential. My guess, we will be considered essential.

Also @[DHT]Osiris
I your back & forth with IndyColtsFan about long term quarantine, in your scenario, is the government supposed to support everyone for years? We'd still have to pay bills at least. If we're at home we can't work.

I guess I'm the only one here too busy to be paranoid. IT is booming right now.
Not swamped but pretty busy here. Manufacturing.

I know that we keep seeing the numbers of positive results coming back increasing daily at a high rate, but is there anywhere showing the negative test result numbers too? Since more people are being tests, surely there are more negative tests coming back as well.

This what you're looking for?
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/testing-in-us.html
Updated March 19, 2020
Number of specimens tested for SARS CoV-2 by CDC labs (N=4,505) and U.S. public health laboratories* (N=40,367)†

My state (PA) shows both test results though not sure how accurate they are. Still not showing Erie Co.
Negative - 1,608
Positive - 185
https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Cases.aspx

Reactions: purbeast0

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Well, I don't see it as 'resigning myself to that fate'. I'd literally be fine with working from home, buying supplies from the hardware store, growing my Sequoias, growing some vegetables, taking care of chickens and some goats (assuming my GF would let me have them), play some video games, watch netflix, and generally chill with my life until the day I die. That's not to say I wouldn't love to see more of the world than I've already seen, but even if I could afford it I would NOT, I repeat NOT unreasonably risk the life of myself, my GF, or other people for that. I don't care that much about seeing the fucking Library of Alexandria, much less some random fucking canyon in south Africa, or some dumb tower in some city.

Consider this, you might die if you get infected. You might die from an infection you got filling up with gas, because some asshat that has the same attitude as you pumped gas before you did, and HE was infected.

Society itself can absolutely withstand a limitation of global travel and a limited isolation to localized areas, we lived that way for about 20,000 years until airplanes were invented. I don't particularly give a shit if the dow crashes to 2k, and we all learn how to homestead again.

Honestly, we draw the line at whatever the government says we do. If enough people maintain the attitude that you have, the government will be FORCED to enforce a complete closure of everything, will quarantine all citizens, deliver food door to door, etc. That's an authoritarian hellscape but the government has a duty to preserve the lives of its citizens, and if its citizens are going to act like goddamn lemmings walking off a cliff, they're going to chain you to a tree so you can't wander off. It will happen, because they have the guns, and if you die you can't participate in the economy.
ummm what? you can die from a lot of things i bet statistically driving your car is more dangerous then the virus (joking) :) but it wont hurt to give it a little time and see whats up. are you super old? sure i know young people can have serious issues with it too but im curious. You are worried about getting it from gas pumps? you seriously cant outsmart the germs from a gas pump!? simply put on gloves before pumping if you are not that bright right? i have at least 30 pairs of gloves in my car all the time. if not for changing the oil, or i stuff trash in them, or use them incase i need to treat someone in car accident nearby so i dont get blood on my hands. kinda like having a fire extinguisher in your car, that same gas pump might burn you!! beware. im not going to hide from the virus forever thats for sure. if i die i die oh well. just not trying to infect my kids yet so we are putting off traveling. or i will leave them and go