NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 172 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So far, the only countries that have been sort of successful containing this virus required/requested people wear masks. Even homemade mask or Buff like neckwear to cover the mouth and nose is helpful IMO. So it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the US. This is my biggest concern with the US and biggest mistake we're making IMO. I think the infection is going to whole lot worse and last longer because the US population is not using any sort of masks. Of course we won't be able to prove it. The pictures I've seen of 1918 Spanish Flu shows people wearing masks. And I think the governments asked people to wear some sort of homemade masks during that era.

I cannot understand why people are so against using masks. Look at the pictures of China, South Korea, Singapore, and Hong Kong. Read between the lines. Masks are vital key to stopping the spread of this highly contagious virus. Just like people who said this virus was "it's just flu, bro" were all wrong, I think everyone who say mask is not important for the general public and not needed are all wrong. Terribly wrong. Of course we won't be able to prove it so they'll just say they were right once we defeat this virus.

If you have masks, please wear it. Do not listen to people like Amused. Do not listen to CDC. Wear your mask. Listen to governments of Asia. They have experience battling various viral diseases. Our government do not. This is their first rodeo. This is not the first rodeo for governments of Asia. There's no downside to wearing masks and it can potentially save your life.
I put the blame first on Trump. He has been pressuring everybody (until a week ago, maybe less) to do everything possible to make this seem like no more than a blip on the radar. People wearing masks is a red flag... WE HAVE A PROBLEM, HOUSTON! Plus, there's the very real fact that masks are higher priority for health care workers dealing with infected people and for infected people not transmitting to those around them.

I believe that wearing a mask helps prevent the wearer from being infected in certain environments. I didn't wear one to the bank yesterday literally because I didn't want them to be afraid I was a stick-up artist!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I’m not willing to throw away 3 years of my life (using your example) and no one sane would do it either, and I’m turning 50 this year, so I’m on the cusp of joining the age group you cited as being vulnerable earlier.

If you quarantine people for years on end, the supply chain would be disrupted and potentially destroyed. Entire industries would cease to exist. Tens of millions would be unemployed and have no income. And that’s just in the US. But sure, let’s curl in the fetal position, hiding in the corner screaming “but think of the old people!” rather than looking for sane, realistic solutions and NOT destroying our world.
There might be a job for you in the White House. Well, maybe in the back rooms.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
just, no: the point of not wearing the masks is that you are taking them from the people that actually need them: medical professionals and the sick. full stop. don't pass go. You don't fucking need it if you haven't tested positive. the end.

There are many very common, very simple, very easy "non-material requiring" techniques that you can learn, if you haven't already learned, to do the same thing. Simple aseptic technique. Learn to use your elbows. learn to use your hips to open things. be aware of where your hands are at all times. learn how to distance yourself. be aware of your surroundings.

It's a simple matter of fact that anyone without need of a proper mask, taking it away from the frontline people that actually need it, are by association contributing to the problem. I'm sorry that you don't believe this, but it is plainly fucking true.

Amused is correct. you've all lost your minds, and I'm tired of seeing this nonsense spread online by a bunch of people that should otherwise be reasonable and capable of learning from actual experts that work in this field, that have experience with aseptic technique, and understand how viruses transmit, and how to avoid it.

I'm tired of reading from people that are confused that they very same active ingredients in comparable products might not be the same. it's fucking obnoxious. Stop spreading stupid, destructive, dangerous information because "it feels right to you."

I understand that a lot of people are suddenly becoming aware of this, but for fucks sake--there are many of us that do this in our daily lives. we are used to keeping things sterile, and protecting ourselves from scary shit. Some of us have up to BSL2 training. Just don't assume you know more than those people because a bunch of fucking jagoff youtuber longhairs said so. That shit is literally killing people.
You know I love you man, but I'm going to disagree with you. I'm going to follow the South Koreans. I'm going to wear the mask. I bought my N95 before all this blew up and before there was a shortage. I bought my masks from Home Depot and Amazon at normal prices. Anyone could've bought when I did. If they don't have it, it's their own fault. I wore N95 at Sprouts, Aldi, and the asian mart I shopped at on Sunday. I saw 1 person wearing surgical mask at Sprouts and no one wearing mask at Aldi. About 20% of the shoppers and some cashiers wore masks at the asian mart. I will continue to wear N95 whenever I shop. I have couple in my cars and will rotate between couple different N95 masks. I'm not reselling the masks so I feel zero guilt. I bought it for protection for myself and my family.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You can't forgo weddings, funerals, graduations, or other life events forever - those make us human and define our civilization.
Huh? I can do without those just fine, what the hell is it with you? You say we're gonna "rot" if we stay home? I don't know what you're home is like but mine isn't going to make me rot. I'm playing this by ear and day to day. You're sore cause they want you to stay home. Man up!

• Love
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Honestly I love the idea of staying home. If I had a solid source of income and never had to go anywhere for a specific time I'd be building a kick ass cabin in the woods in a heart beat and selling the house. I'd still want SOME social interaction but I could do it on my own terms.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
just, no: the point of not wearing the masks is that you are taking them from the people that actually need them: medical professionals and the sick. full stop. don't pass go. You don't fucking need it if you haven't tested positive. the end.

There are many very common, very simple, very easy "non-material requiring" techniques that you can learn, if you haven't already learned, to do the same thing. Simple aseptic technique. Learn to use your elbows. learn to use your hips to open things. be aware of where your hands are at all times. learn how to distance yourself. be aware of your surroundings.

It's a simple matter of fact that anyone without need of a proper mask, taking it away from the frontline people that actually need it, are by association contributing to the problem. I'm sorry that you don't believe this, but it is plainly fucking true.

Amused is correct. you've all lost your minds, and I'm tired of seeing this nonsense spread online by a bunch of people that should otherwise be reasonable and capable of learning from actual experts that work in this field, that have experience with aseptic technique, and understand how viruses transmit, and how to avoid it.

I'm tired of reading from people that are confused that they very same active ingredients in comparable products might not be the same. it's fucking obnoxious. Stop spreading stupid, destructive, dangerous information because "it feels right to you."

I understand that a lot of people are suddenly becoming aware of this, but for fucks sake--there are many of us that do this in our daily lives. we are used to keeping things sterile, and protecting ourselves from scary shit. Some of us have up to BSL2 training. Just don't assume you know more than those people because a bunch of fucking jagoff youtuber longhairs said so. That shit is literally killing people.

He didn't say that using masks wasn't depriving healthcare workers or that he didn't believe it. He didn't believe what Amused claimed the CDC was saying... and he was right not to believe it because Amused mischaracterized it.

Amused was not correct when he said that using a mask increases risk even though he attributed it to the CDC. The CDC did not say that. They said the opposite... and that they needed them now that there is a shortage... and everyone agrees on that. Yes, they rightly point out that improper use could increase risk, which is entirely different from their main concern with the general public buying/wearing masks now. If there were plenty to go around then there absolutely is a point where they would advise using them. They said as much back in January they were specifically saying it was too early and they would re-evaluate. They didn't say not to buy them. That part was all the media and media parrots using the CDC's statements to sound smarter than the imaginary Americans panic-buying the masks (again: those shortages were from Chinese orders; not Americans panic-buying). It was an ego thing.

Now != Then. We could have bought masks before letting them leave the country. We can't buy masks now because we have to ration the few that remain for healthcare workers and such. Even the CDC wants infected individuals to wear a mask of any kind if they absolutely have to go out but that's difficult now that they can't get one.

The biggest offenders at spreading obnoxious, dangerous, information "because it feels right" were the ones using TERRIBLE logic and pseudo-intellectualism back in January to tell us that the flu was worse and that preparing was stupid if you didn't even have a flu shot. Delibertely ignoring that we were at the early stages of a global outbreak to make a disingenuous comparison of death numbers is one of the most statistically-illiterate things I have ever seen, and yet these people quote CDC numbers and call their misinterpretation "science." It's like they forgot time was a factor and that momentary comparisons are worthless without context.

Reactions: Muse

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Huh? I can do without those just fine, what the hell is it with you? You say we're gonna "rot" if we stay home? I don't know what you're home is like but mine isn't going to make me rot. I'm playing this by ear and day to day. You're sore cause they want you to stay home. Man up!

If I need to spend six weeks cooped up with my wife and daughter, I'm going to go batshit crazy. That amount of constant social interaction is NOT healthy.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
its too late to be arguing about masks. there are no more masks. why are we even talking about masks?

Reactions: CZroe

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
No one trusts Japan's number. Japan has their head in the sand. They think ignoring it will make the problem go away. Because if they test and reveal more reasonable number, they know they can kiss the Olympics goodbye. Japan should be condemned right now. No one should look or try to emulate Japan right now. I trust China over Japan at the moment.

I don't get it... would postponing the summer olympics to 2021 really be the end of the world?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't get it... would postponing the summer olympics to 2021 really be the end of the world?

It would probably have some impact such as athletic training etc and redoing all the marketing stuff that has 2020 on it but I think it's still what needs to be done. The olympics going on as normal is going to be a huge disaster with this pandemic. It's almost criminal to have them run anyway.

The athletes should actually boycott it for their own safety. Imagine you're an athlete and you catch this thing, that is career ending. The long term effects of this virus are very serious as you lose part of your lung capacity for good as you sustain damage.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Yea, I might build me a home underground. Get away from all of this bullcrap.

Oh look. This guy has a kickass home, and it only took him about 16 minutes! No Cronovirus fears. Just me in my underground home with a swimming pool! Bye :)

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
We need to figure out what the hell Germany is doing and copy it. They have more confirmed cases than the US and yet their mortality rate is 0.29%. Wtf is going on? The current US mortality rate is 1.5%. And then there’s Italy, which is pushing 9%.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Not sure what you are referring to or where you are pulling your numbers from. I know when my county had 6 cases, 3 of them were negative, 1 was positive, and they were waiting for 2 to come back.
what are you talking about 6 cases 3 negative? how was it a case if it was negative? why do you care about negative results? what does it prove? about the number of tests they are performing? if there are 10,000 positive then surely they have tested more than 100,000 people is my guess (i sure hope its that much :p ) but really i have no idea, it would be so sad if they only tested 20,000 people out of the whole population. but really what does negative results prove? that they havnt got it yet? they tested the wrong person? OK AND?

Nov 8, 2012
New Bill in congress - President Trump says he doesn't want to see Executive Bonus' or stock buybacks from any industries that require a bailout. Good to hear.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
what are you talking about 6 cases 3 negative? how was it a case if it was negative? why do you care about negative results? what does it prove? about the number of tests they are performing? if there are 10,000 positive then surely they have tested more than 100,000 people is my guess (i sure hope its that much :p ) but really i have no idea, it would be so sad if they only tested 20,000 people out of the whole population. but really what does negative results prove? that they havnt got it yet? they tested the wrong person? OK AND?
I meant 6 possible cases you numbnuts, how was that not obvious by my post? 6 people who were tested.

It could help alleviate the panic in the public maybe because you have to remember how stupid your average person is. They don't realize that these numbers are skyrocketing simply because there are more people being tested.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I meant 6 possible cases you numbnuts, how was that not obvious by my post? 6 people who were tested.

It could help alleviate the panic in the public maybe because you have to remember how stupid your average person is. They don't realize that these numbers are skyrocketing simply because there are more people being tested.
Which means the number of cases skyrocketed earlier and we're playing catch-up. ;)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Now != Then.
and making long ass posts on the internet about how we should have been stockpilings masks back in november isn't fixing anything. it doesn't even seem to be cathartic to you

Last edited:
Reactions: zinfamous

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yea, I might build me a home underground. Get away from all of this bullcrap.

Oh look. This guy has a kickass home, and it only took him about 16 minutes! No Cronovirus fears. Just me in my underground home with a swimming pool! Bye :)

What in the everloving hell is that dirt made from? It looks like regolith.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
He's righteously pissed off, and I respect that. He's got a sore throat, hasn't said so out right IIRC, but apparently suspects he's coming down with this and remembers Amused poo-pooing the threat. I would not characterize this as a petty exchange all in all.

Thanks, but I'm reasonably sure it's not the big one. :) My throat is still sore but that's one of the least notable symptoms for COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2. Symptoms progressed to include sneezing and a runny nose, which are supposedly not symptoms of this disease:

I don't have allergies and I've had very few coughs so chances are that it's a normal cold. Still, I'm told that any sign of a respiratory illness at this time means I need to isolate. Stayed out of work. Stayed home.

If you start to feel a scratchy throat just puke, the stomach acids will destroy any viruses and you will be safe!
New homeopathic remedy!

Good luck geting the FDA to recognize that treatment. ;)

and making long ass posts on the internet about how we should have been stockpilings masks back in november isn't fixing anything.

That isn't what I said at all.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
The problem with wearing a mask in public is you'll be thought of as being infected with COVID-19. lol, it's probably a great way to clear the checkout line though.
yes because people like you think only known infected people wear masks no one wants to wear them, but at my work we are all wearing masks (at least 60%) the other 40% still say nothing to worry about or that the mask doesnt work since they are misinformed. (( we are actually required to wear them when close proximity but people choose not to still, ((until covid i didnt wear one often during flu or different outbreaks))

Why is nobody talking about Germany? They currently only have a CFR of %.30, and that's out of 14,544 confirmed cases.

Is this a case of super aggressive testing similar to South Korea?
YES they test more so the results are very skewed if we tested every person and got a real infection count then the death count would DROP SO MUCH. but like everyone says they only test people that are going to test positive because of the severity or symptoms (like the tests are made of gold!)

I'm not. They're the reason we have it now.

It looks like a broad average of ~82% of people remain asymptomatic or have mild upper respiratory problems. Those that get it bad in their lungs go into "stage 2" and "stage 3" where their own immune system permanently scars lung tissue. Even if you're young. The old are just more likely to die at that point.

You might want to study formal debate tactics. I never said that every place with poor food handling would be shut down. I'm saying that that sort of thing is rare enough that, thanks to county/city health officials, most of those places already find it hard to do business, and there are extensive public records of "restaurant report cards" available too.

The vast majority of eateries didn't have that problem before Covid-19, and it won't start now.
you seriously dont think when the heath officials come in the workers have a different mode? like 3/4 the speed they usually work and alot more careful? we always got a headsup when they arrive and changed the work ethic. i guess you live in fantasy land like the other people saying "nothing to worry about just a old people problem" ((coughing and sneezing in the kitchen never resulted in death before right? so how can this be compared to getting the flu or gastrovirus's ecoli etc etc.)) ive gotten sick twice at least from eating out with food poisoning and i hardly ever eat out.