NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 161 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
And there it is we just received an email from the embassy indefinitely canceling my wife's appointment for her green card. Two weeks away... Almost got there. We are so sad right now.

• Wow
Reactions: zinfamous and Muse

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
And there it is we just received an email from the embassy indefinitely canceling my wife's appointment for her green card. Two weeks away... Almost got there. We are so sad right now.

I hope this is just a delay and you do not have to start all the paper work plus expenses all over again. Pssst....why not sneak in and declare herself as "undocumented"? :D (p&n mode off)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The whole effen free world on lockdown for 14 days ... WTF is 14 days gonna help .. If I am reading these numbers correctly they expect "the wave" (or pre-wave) to hit in like 14 days ... So I dont expect them to lift all curfews by then! This is one gigantic clusterf.
It helps by flattening the curve. Slows the spread. Gotta stop people from moving around/interacting all at once.

Walked into my local small grocery store. What do I see. A line of people buying cigarretes, candy, sandwiches, etc. We aren't taking this seriously. This virus is highly contagious. One person who has Covid-19 could potentially infect everyone in his/her area. Or, even everyone in the store. I feel for the cashier whose in his 60s, smokes, has underling issues and IS WORKING! Shame on that company for not taking care of their workers. He should be at home. But, gotta make those profits. Am i rite? :(
So, why are you going there?

Reactions: zinfamous

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It helps by flattening the curve. Slows the spread. Gotta stop people from moving around/interacting all at once.

So, why are you going there?

I actually walked out. I was gettin gas and wanted to run in before I saw the amount of people in the store.
I should pay attention more I guess.

Reactions: CZroe

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Well, it finally hits close to home. Two, probably more, employees from our work building are probably positive from the virus so our building is about to shut down until further notice.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
COVID-19 might really be an issue for the young as well. Young people in Italy and France are becoming seriously ill and many are in ICU.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
COVID-19 might really be an issue for the young as well. Young people in Italy and France are becoming seriously ill and many are in ICU.

I'll bet you're a hoot at a party.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I wish they could make a place where you could go GET the virus. Get a checkup to confirm you are in good health and levels are up and then get the damn thing. Beat it (now immune). Get back out there and make the world go round.

Reactions: Artorias

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011

Young people not dying does not mean that they have no problems or do not require medical assistance to survive. People have only been looking at one side of the equation and saying this isn't so bad.

Wait until you see what happens when the entire nationwide medical system is overwhelmed. You can forget about that 1% overall death rate.

Go back to the beginning of this thread and see when people were telling everyone to look at what China was doing not what they were saying. China knew what would happen if they let it go wild now the western world is about to experience it.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007

I think this is partly an artifact of healthcare being overwhelmed: elders are being left to die and young people are being saved, hence ICUs being filled with younger people. Still not a good sign at all when the healthcare system can't even selectively support younger people.

On another note - DIY masks for anyone: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/. One thing I hope they add to testing is some sort of "moist filter". Water particles being present should help filter out more particles.

From here on out I am not going into any grocery store or any closed environment without something. Even if it doesn't protect well, all I'm trying to do is favor the statistics with what I've got.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Young people not dying does not mean that they have no problems or do not require medical assistance to survive. People have only been looking at one side of the equation and saying this isn't so bad.

Wait until you see what happens when the entire nationwide medical system is overwhelmed. You can forget about that 1% overall death rate.

Go back to the beginning of this thread and see when people were telling everyone to look at what China was doing not what they were saying. China knew what would happen if they let it go wild now the western world is about to experience it.

Yea, its like when China was building hospitals in two days flat and hammering down on curfews .. the west be like "just a flu, it will pass". Now we are in the shitter.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Yea, its like when China was building hospitals in two days flat and hammering down on curfews .. the west be like "just a flu, it will pass". Now we are in the shitter.

Hell, even NOW, we have countless people that do not understand or care about how bad this virus thing can be. Scroll up and see the link I posted about how college students are hanging out up close in droves in Florida for Spring Break, without a care in the world.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dang. One of my clients is building a small local restaurant chain, which has been super successful, but just laid everyone off today. Him & his wife are running the main shop for takeout & delivery only. They rely on the business sector for a large part of their business at lunch.

COVID-19's not just about the physical illness, but the economic impact as well. A bunch of people who were relying on that week to week paycheck are now out of jobs, through no fault of the owners. Plus the owners have a newborn & just took a big income hit. Stinks all around.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
email from embassy? green cards are given out from a embassy? i dont think they can cancel it forever. we got one from
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Servicesj

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Dang. One of my clients is building a small local restaurant chain, which has been super successful, but just laid everyone off today. Him & his wife are running the main shop for takeout & delivery only. They rely on the business sector for a large part of their business at lunch.

COVID-19's not just about the physical illness, but the economic impact as well. A bunch of people who were relying on that week to week paycheck are now out of jobs, through no fault of the owners. Plus the owners have a newborn & just took a big income hit. Stinks all around.
World is going to change forever once we get through this. Huge social unrest is coming.

Reactions: zinfamous

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
I actually just got done doing a Skype interview with my local news station, think it's airing tonight. I reached out to them today asking if they could help clarify what 'non essential travel' means for somebody in my situation and one of their news guys wanted to interview me.

Reactions: zinfamous and CZroe

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I think this is partly an artifact of healthcare being overwhelmed: elders are being left to die and young people are being saved, hence ICUs being filled with younger people. Still not a good sign at all when the healthcare system can't even selectively support younger people.

On another note - DIY masks for anyone: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/. One thing I hope they add to testing is some sort of "moist filter". Water particles being present should help filter out more particles.

From here on out I am not going into any grocery store or any closed environment without something. Even if it doesn't protect well, all I'm trying to do is favor the statistics with what I've got.

Good point. Italy and France are probably letting the old die. :(

My fear is that most of us have already been in contact with COVID-19 in some way. No test kits in my area so I don't even know for sure.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I wish they could make a place where you could go GET the virus. Get a checkup to confirm you are in good health and levels are up and then get the damn thing. Beat it (now immune). Get back out there and make the world go round.
you are aware that many people who have contracted the virus and then later have been declared virus free have come down with the virus again? It would seem the old tried and true once you get something you develop an immunity is not true with this virus....scary huh?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Tell me about it. Remember this guy?
I do. And the consensus of medical professionals is actually the Flu is a bigger, more immediate threat and Americans should be more concerned with the flu and get their flu shots than worry about the Corona Virus.

We had already been told from people who knew better not to let anyone spread that dangerous lie and that anyone spreading it should be ashamed of themselves. Is he? Nope. I called him out and he said I sounded like an Alex Jones conspiracy theorist:

Oh, we know some actionable things.

It's worse than China will let us know.

It's not contained.

It is somewhat contagious during the incubation period.

Shill buyers for China are already depleting stocks [of N95 masks] which will be gone before we know whether or not we need them (granted, they do need them more than we do right now).

Heck, I just found out my brother is going to be in Thailand another two weeks. This could be a much bigger issue there by then (2nd most confirmed cases). May cause additional travel complications. Would've made more sense if he came back earlier but, well, "actionable" doesn't always mean you take that action.

Holy shit you sound like Alex Jones.

Done here.
He hasn't posted in this thread since January so I guess he really is "done here."

...but he did go into that OTHER thread to heap blame on the President with absolutely no shame for his own behavior. How do people like that sleep at night?!

Amused: People like you are the problem. You and others like you dismissed/ignored people who know including direct warnings ("don't let anyone tell you the flu is worse"), took comfort in pseudo-intellectual media distortions intended to calm people down, and spread those distortions just because they came from credible sources like the news media quoting flu statistics. Credible sources does not mean they have the right goal. Thanks to them and the people they influenced people who could have prepared much earlier didn't.

News writers aren't experts, no matter how much respect you have for CNN, ABC, etc. They are just writers paid to put a perspective on some numbers or info that make them sound smarter than everyone else so you'll go on reading their news. Read critically, between the lines, and you are your own expert.

When I said earlier that I appreciated this era where we could get first-hand accounting from witnesses and cut through the media narrative, I meant it. This is why. This is vindication.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
you are aware that many people who have contracted the virus and then later have been declared virus free have come down with the virus again? It would seem the old tried and true once you get something you develop an immunity is not true with this virus....scary huh?

Heat doesn't appear to help either, so we may not get any relief in the warmer months:

Not to mention the whole herd immunity idea in the UK:

• Love
Reactions: Muse and JEDIYoda

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

What the fuck is this sorcery.