NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 160 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You are not looking at the bigger picture. The alternative is walking into the restaurant like normal, shoulder-to-shoulder with other people, touching multiple doorknobs and other surfaces. Plus the bathroom. That one point of contact is much, much less of a risk than all the crap you would get walking into the restaurant like normal.

Switching over to the takeout window is actually a big improvement. It is not perfect.

Yes, and what you are describing is not only idiotic, but generally doesn't happen much. "Shock" video showing poor food prep does not represent the norm in any restaurant where I have ever worked. Usually the worst offenses are people that touch their hair or people who don't change their gloves often enough. There are some offenders, and I read about them in the "restaurant report card" published in the local paper every week. Most common complaint is drinks in the food prep area. Not "employees scooping food up off the floor". I've heard managers hassling employees about that (drinks) for years. Fortunately I do not work in food prep anymore. Don't miss it.

A lot of food prep employees are constantly on camera, for a reason. They can easily get fired for some of the more-egregious offenses you've mentioned above. Most of them are halfway-decent people (sort of) who will only rarely sabotage food or otherwise treat it with significant neglect. Makes me wonder how you ever eat out anywhere if you think videos of employees scraping food off the floor represent the norm in kitchens.
well i worked as a cook before, ive seen it first hand. I've worked at VERY NICE restaurants and it wasn't clean, they would drop chicken and then wipe their hands on a towel or their pants etc. sure when the health inspector came everyone wore gloves and was TOP NOTCH but every other time it was FAST AS YOU CAN fk the rules. dripping sweat on stuff, touching everything then touching the food, handling raw meats then touching the food. i even bought my own gloves for them to use when dropping chicken but they refused to use them unless health inspection was around.
as far as the employee's touching everyone's card and money then handing it back to each customer, it would be nice if they handled it with a clean wipe for each person / cleaning the card at the same time as handling it. of course you could take the card back with a wipe. And since everyone is saying you cant get the virus from eating whats it matter if you handle anything like doorknobs etc etc as long as you dont touch your eyes or nose right.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Just heard on the radio the Tokyo Olympic's are still not cancelled? Not sure how they really have a choice at this point.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
Just wanted to pass this info along because I think many people are overlooking this (myself included):

If you elect to clean your fruits and vegetables with chlorine bleach, do not use scented chlorine or color-safe bleaches. The University of Nebraska, USA, suggests using 1 1/2 teaspoons bleach (5.25% sodium hypochlorite) in one gallon of water. Do not wash before storing. Rinse just before using. Clorox brand bleach contains 5.25% sodium hydrochlorite.

Ohio State University, USA, instructs to soak produce for 15-20 minutes in a chlorine bleach solution. The amount of bleach to add to water depends on the percentage of chlorine it contains. For 2% chlorine, use 3/4 tablespoon per quart of water. For 4% chlorine, use 1 teaspoon per quart of water. For 6% chlorine, use 1/2 teaspoon per quart of water. Rinse thoroughly with safe drinking water.

Reactions: CZroe

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Just heard on the radio the Tokyo Olympic's are still not cancelled? Not sure how they really have a choice at this point.

I think they start in July. They want to wait to gauge the situation, I'm sure. They probably could push them to September and be OK.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
as far as the employee's touching everyone's card and money then handing it back to each customer, it would be nice if they handled it with a clean wipe for each person / cleaning the card at the same time as handling it. of course you could take the card back with a wipe. And since everyone is saying you cant get the virus from eating whats it matter if you handle anything like doorknobs etc etc as long as you dont touch your eyes or nose right.
Obviously, the bolded sentiment is the one I'm questioning/challenging.

More than just eyes and nose... we avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth. Putting contaminated food in our mouths doesn't even require touching. Bypasses it.

I would not take any comfort in the fact that it's not a food-borne illness. You are breaking social isolation if you eat restaurant food and it's every bit as dangerous as going to the grocery store because you didn't get supplies back when you should have... probably more dangerous.

It is transmistted through droplets and contaminated surfaces. Food is still a surface that can be contaminated. Drinks can hold droplets. It's kind of concerning that people are being told to ignore this for the sake of the food-service industry. Again, I was still eating out yesterday but I didn't take any comfort in the notion that take-out food is somehow safe.

Reactions: killster1

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I think they start in July. They want to wait to gauge the situation, I'm sure. They probably could push them to September and be OK.

Well here's to hoping for Olympics in September since that will mean even optimistic predictions of the situation were a bit overblown.

While I believe its possible we'll be "over the hump" by then I doubt seriously everything will be okay enough for the Olympic's.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

As far I know. Friends in Japan are saying the PM and IOC are pushing hard to keep it on schedule

Organisers, Japanese government officials and the IOC have insisted preparations are on track and there will be no postponement or cancellation.

- https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...eld-coronavirus-pandemic-200314170237705.html

We will see, a lot of doubters - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/ioc...ill-happening-but-skepticism-creeping-in.html

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Ozzy producer is infected with COVID-19 and has a warning for the young, and anyone whose not taking this seriously. He's 29. Healthy young individual. This virus is no joke.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I bought 8 boxes of CVS zinc lozenges like a week ago so that's good to hear. I was debating between CVS brand and Cold-Eeze and bought CVS brand because it was cheaper and they were doing buy 1 and get 50% off sale.

bonus: you can use all your CVS receipts for TP, as posted all over the place now.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
For all of those conspiracy theorists out there:

"These two features of the virus, the mutations in the RBD portion of the spike protein and its distinct backbone, rules out laboratory manipulation as a potential origin for SARS-CoV-2" said Andersen.

Josie Golding, PhD, epidemics lead at UK-based Wellcome Trust, said the findings by Andersen and his colleagues are "crucially important to bring an evidence-based view to the rumors that have been circulating about the origins of the virus (SARS-CoV-2) causing COVID-19."

"They conclude that the virus is the product of natural evolution," Goulding adds, "ending any speculation about deliberate genetic engineering."

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Ozzy producer is infected with COVID-19 and has a warning for the young, and anyone whose not taking this seriously. He's 29. Healthy young individual. R

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Per Al Jazeera News, dozens of deaths in Italy everyday. The obituary section in the newspaper is huge. US and Canada agree to close border except "essential" matters.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The whole effen free world on lockdown for 14 days ... WTF is 14 days gonna help .. If I am reading these numbers correctly they expect "the wave" (or pre-wave) to hit in like 14 days ... So I dont expect them to lift all curfews by then! This is one gigantic clusterf.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Spain has over 11,000 cases of confirmed infections. EU's ban on travelers outside the block is in effect.

Australia and Malaysia and numerous countries are banning all travelers (no in and out with a few exceptions).

This is like "28 Days Later" movie but without blood and gore.

Trump is holding a live conference right now and he's invoking the Defense Production Act (expedite and expand the supply of resources from the U.S. industrial base to support homeland security programs)

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I went to the Secretary of State today to try and renew my license (its been long enough it has to be done in person now) and I've come to the conclusion we are too dumb of a species to survive this. This is how they are handling things:
Everything is appointment only
The large waiting room (150+ people capacity) is completely empty
Only 1 person per available clerk is let in at a time
To notify someone its their turn a staff member slightly opens the door into the tiny entrance vestibule to call a name (Fit about 12 people when shoulder to shoulder)
At 11:45am they were running 30 minutes behind
They opened at 11am
Therefore: a bunch of people (15 when I left) shoved themselves into that vestibule every time it was time to call another name.

At least they fixed the portal so I can actually schedule an appoint for what I need now. We'll see if they have their shit together next week...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
come race our arch-nemesis tom's hardware and help find a vaccine for coronavirus!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Our local banks and CU's are very much either closing all branches completely (no drive through) or all lobbies. Customers are only allowed to use drive through or ATM or Internet/Apps for any banking need. The regional grocery store closest to my house is cutting back hours from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (it was 6 a.m to mid night).

This is why more and more people are getting nervous and start hoarding goods.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Walked into my local small grocery store. What do I see. A line of people buying cigarretes, candy, sandwiches, etc. We aren't taking this seriously. This virus is highly contagious. One person who has Covid-19 could potentially infect everyone in his/her area. Or, even everyone in the store. I feel for the cashier whose in his 60s, smokes, has underling issues and IS WORKING! Shame on that company for not taking care of their workers. He should be at home. But, gotta make those profits. Am i rite? :(

• Love

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Children and Coronavirus: Research Finds Some Become Seriously Ill

Sorry about the paywall - I was able to read it on my phone.

The though of leaving LA for my parent's suburb in NM just became a lot more appealing. The one thing that kept me somewhat grounded in all of this were the early reports that children did not seem too effected by the virus. But it turns out that may not be true.

What is really crazy about a virus is how it reacts to people differently. You and I could catch COVID-19. You can have very minor issues, while that same virus could kill me. That is what young people don't understand. There is no guarantee that you'll be OK with minor issues. You could have serious complications with COVID-19.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
come race our arch-nemesis tom's hardware and help find a vaccine for coronavirus!

Ok i will dust off my nvidia 2070, hopefully it will work and do something useful for once.