NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 761 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm no longer going to worry about what other folks are doing or thinking far as masking up in public goes.

I've decided I like not getting colds and will be masking up indoors myself during cold/flu season pretty much forever anyplace there are people.

Don't approve? GFY. ;)

I didn't wear a mask but I have zero judgement of those who do. Doesn't bother me one iota unlike it bothers some people in our society.

Reactions: Captante

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The world would be in a healthier(though not necessarily better) place if people did eat less chicken nuggets. Food instincts override sense and budget while in a state of ignorance, however, so people will simply buy more at the expensive.
Fried chicken is probably my second biggest unhealthy vice (well, not BK's...ick).

• Haha

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
Yesterday at Costco was the lowest mask wearing I've seen yet. About 75 to 80% wearing masks
Went to Nordstrom Rack and Chipotle this past Sunday and I would guess only 5-10% of shoppers were wearing masks. 100% of the store employees were masked. This was in Western NY

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'll probably be wearing a mask until case counts drop back down to where they were this past summer, at 100-200 per week.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's rumours mask mandates and vax pass might get lifted here in mid march. I've also heard March 1st. It's still up in the air though. That's going to be a welcome change if it happens. While it's not a HUGE deal wearing one it's still nice not having to. The people who will benefit the most are public facing employees and kids in school/daycare, who have to wear it all day. That has to get annoying and uncomfortable after a while, and also kinda gross when it starts to get all sweaty and stuff when it's summer.

I have a feeling the vax pass will come back under a different name and jurisdiction though, the WEF is really pushing for digital ID and wants to tie your finances to it too.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
While it's not a HUGE deal wearing one it's still nice not having to. The people who will benefit the most are public facing employees and kids in school/daycare, who have to wear it all day. That has to get annoying and uncomfortable after a while, and also kinda gross when it starts to get all sweaty and stuff when it's summer.
If the mask is annoying or uncomfortable, then you have a bad mask. There are plenty that are wearable 24/7. I know, I had to wear them 24/7 (including sleeping) when taking care of my sick father-in-law.

For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how it is so hard for others to find something that is comfortable and basically imperceivable for their face shape. They've had nearly 2 years now.

For me, it is like wearing pants/shorts and underwear. I can't imagine fighting wearing those. I really don't even think about my pants other than the few seconds it takes to put them on at the beginning of the day or take them off at the end of the day. Same with my mask. I only think about it when pulling it away from my face to eat.

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
If the mask is annoying or uncomfortable, then you have a bad mask. There are plenty that are wearable 24/7. I know, I had to wear them 24/7 (including sleeping) when taking care of my sick father-in-law.

For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how it is so hard for others to find something that is comfortable and basically imperceivable for their face shape. They've had nearly 2 years now.

For me, it is like wearing pants/shorts and underwear. I can't imagine fighting wearing those. I really don't even think about my pants other than the few seconds it takes to put them on at the beginning of the day or take them off at the end of the day. Same with my mask. I only think about it when pulling it away from my face to eat.

1000% disagree with this. In the heat/humidity masks are terrible.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

I wear a KN95 equivalent mask (airinum brand) and it is definitely not that simple. People bitching about wearing them inside climate controlled stores for a shopping trip are definitely whiners. Would I prefer not to have to? Of course, but in a climate controlled store it's not bothersome at all. A grocery trip, going to Costco, Home Depot - I mean to say it's so uncomfortable there you are just being a jerk.

But there are other use cases where it does get uncomfortable - generally when it is for longer periods of time, and then when it's hot out. Then it's definitely uncomfortable after a short bit. If it's a decent mask. Now a shitty cloth one, that's not like wearing much at all, but I'm talking about a medical grade mask. I walked out of a place today that required masks and the mask really is nice when it's cold out. I kinda might rock one next winter :)

Anyways, it was not a bother to me to help save lives and protect my own. If people feel safer with a mask then I'm all for it even when it's not required. However, it seems this is indeed the right time for the mandates to start to come off and let it be voluntary in most places. And that is what is happening.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
There's rumours mask mandates and vax pass might get lifted here in mid march. I've also heard March 1st. It's still up in the air though. That's going to be a welcome change if it happens. While it's not a HUGE deal wearing one it's still nice not having to. The people who will benefit the most are public facing employees and kids in school/daycare, who have to wear it all day. That has to get annoying and uncomfortable after a while, and also kinda gross when it starts to get all sweaty and stuff when it's summer.

I have a feeling the vax pass will come back under a different name and jurisdiction though, the WEF is really pushing for digital ID and wants to tie your finances to it too.

Connecticut is going to stop requiring masks in schools next week. Seems like it's time.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The CDC just came out with the new mask guidelines. All the counties in the US are ranked by new cases per 100,000, hospital capacity, and hospitalizations per 100,000 and low or medium rankings allow you to give up masks inside (unless you are immunocompromised or high risk.) For one brief moment I felt happy - then I looked up my county and their ranking - HIGH and there went the happy. At least I still have lots of masks. Sigh.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Mask mandate going away in Illinois tomorrow. Risk in Chicago is low according to the new CDC metrics.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Reading between the lines, a concession in terms of administration interval because too many useful taxable heads are reporting things.

Must feel great for the unlucky few to feel like a legit discarded specimen if their case got reported. Now, for those who got symptoms because did not report, that would be the "phantom sacrificed"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

?

reverse transcription is how RNA is converted into cDNA. It's like, why RNA exists.

also, RT is what is happening every time you or anyone sends a nose sample in for PCR

well--I should say that's not the most typical function for RNA (for retroviruses, however, that is how they work). In my hands, that's pretty much what I usually do with RNA.

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
High heat and humidity N95 masks exist, are cheap, and are readily available. Here is one my wife uses. But there are plenty of others.

The 3M N95's I have are about as comfortable as a mask can be despite being substantially less convenient to put on/take off due to having "around the head" straps.

HOWEVER claiming ANY mask is pleasant to wear all the time runs the risk of ones objectivity coming into question!

;)

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The 3M N95's I have are about as comfortable as a mask can be despite being substantially less convenient to put on/take off due to having "around the head" straps.

HOWEVER claiming ANY mask is pleasant to wear all the time runs the risk of ones objectivity coming into question!

;)

i-find-your-f619ec64e0.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I wear glasses, so yeah, the condensation is real.

Same here.... a "winter-sports" anti-fog cloth along with a tight fitting N95 however really does minimize it.

You still get a little fogging in cold temps but its from warmth radiating out of the mouth-area rather then direct breath leakage around the nose.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Hong Kong's success in fending off COVID comes back to haunt
For two years, Hong Kong successfully insulated most of its residents from COVID-19, even going nearly three months late last year without a single locally spread case
By ALICE FUNG and ANIRUDDHA GHOSAL Associated Press

Patients wait at a temporary treatment area outside Caritas Medical Centre in Hong Kong, Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022. For two years, Hong Kong successfully insulated most of its residents from COVID-19 and often went months without a single locally sprea

Image Icon
The Associated Press
Patients wait at a temporary treatment area outside Caritas Medical Centre in Hong Kon...
HONG KONG -- For two years, Hong Kong successfully insulated most of its residents from COVID-19 and often went months without a single locally spread case. Then the omicron variant showed up.

The fast-spreading mutation breached Hong Kong’s defenses and has been spreading rapidly through one of the world’s most densely populated places, overflowing hospitals and isolation wards and prompting measures to test the entire 7.4 million population and hastily build six isolation and treatment centers.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...success-fending-off-covid-back-haunt-83128133

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Hong Kong's success in fending off COVID comes back to haunt
For two years, Hong Kong successfully insulated most of its residents from COVID-19, even going nearly three months late last year without a single locally spread case
By ALICE FUNG and ANIRUDDHA GHOSAL Associated Press

Patients wait at a temporary treatment area outside Caritas Medical Centre in Hong Kong, Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022. For two years, Hong Kong successfully insulated most of its residents from COVID-19 and often went months without a single locally sprea

Image Icon
The Associated Press
Patients wait at a temporary treatment area outside Caritas Medical Centre in Hong Kon...
HONG KONG -- For two years, Hong Kong successfully insulated most of its residents from COVID-19 and often went months without a single locally spread case. Then the omicron variant showed up.

The fast-spreading mutation breached Hong Kong’s defenses and has been spreading rapidly through one of the world’s most densely populated places, overflowing hospitals and isolation wards and prompting measures to test the entire 7.4 million population and hastily build six isolation and treatment centers.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...success-fending-off-covid-back-haunt-83128133

Dunno what to conclude from that. Is it a bad thing that they succesfully held it at bay until a less-deadly variant emerged? Don't know why they didn't use the time they'd gained to get everyone vaccinated, though. Shortage of vaccines or just a population that didn't see the need, precisely _because_ they kept the virus out so successfully?