NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 754 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Cancer patient raises her hand. I have been fully vaccinated including a booster shot on 8/30/21 now searching for my next booster.

for the past 2 years I have basically lived under house arrest, no stores, no travel, no restaurants. Nobody in the apartment who doesn’t live here. Both husband and son triple vaxed.

I go out only for medical care, double masked. I used to go to work till the risk of catching covid grew overwhelming….there is no government plan in place to protect people like me…nada! I get to hold my beggars bowl up on gofundme to keep from becoming homeless & hungry.

Please, go & get your shots, get your boosters, some of you rant about “ your freedoms” but think not at all about the not inconsiderable number of people like me. This is a virus, a potentially serious illness, Some of you care all about your freedoms but seem to feel people like me have just 2 choices, to die of covid, or remain confined to our homes with zero supports enabling us to do that.

Please, get your shots, please..😢

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You really are a dope..... it would be too easy to mess with you for it to even be any fun.
classic name calling bully, just like your friends in all the same threads, you call names at everyone that has a different opinion. like your own opinion is the only one that counts and everyone else is a idiot. :) i dont mind, call all the names you want but you wont see me doing the same. My opinion wont change, i am not mad or angry just relaxing and laughing.

oh i see you are laughing about child abuse.

So your saying anti-vaxxers were abused children? :p

Would explain a lot!

Reactions: gill77

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
for the past 2 years I have basically lived under house arrest, no stores, no travel, no restaurants. Nobody in the apartment who doesn’t live here. Both husband and son triple vaxed.

Please, get your shots, please..😢

Killster1 and his ilk don't care about ANY of that and (apparently?) are proud of that fact too.

classic name calling bully, just like your friends in all the same threads, you call names at everyone that has a different opinion. like your own opinion is the only one that counts and everyone else is a idiot. :) i dont mind, call all the names you want but you wont see me doing the same. My opinion wont change, i am not mad or angry just relaxing and laughing.

I removed "dope".... but aside from that I stand by what I said YOU are a hypocrite.

Go back to P&N where you'll fit in with the other trolls.... nobody besides YOU is laughing.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
So your saying anti-vaxxers were abused children? :p

Would explain a lot!

_I'm_ not saying that, but that study seems to be saying it found evidence for that.

And, it does seem to fit with the few anti-vaxxers I personally know.

Actually, the interaction between individual trauma and bad experiences, and socio-political issues, seems extraordinarily complicated to me. Ultimately all socio-political phenemena manifest in individual experiences.

Reactions: Captante

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Killster1 and his ilk don't care about ANY of that and (apparently?) are proud of that fact too.

I removed "dope".... but aside from that I stand by what I said YOU are a hypocrite.

Go back to P&N where you'll fit in with the other trolls.
i have all my shots, and i applaud someone ASKING people to do things from kindness of their heart.. you on the other hand think people should be strapped down and forced and if they are against forcing people they should go to hell. :)

wow all that from someone laughing at child abuse? so high and mighty but a name calling bully.. yuppppppp ok thats fine you are free to think and do as you please right i wont attack you for it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
i have all my shots, and i applaud someone ASKING people to do things from kindness of their heart.. you on the other hand think people should be strapped down and forced and if they are against forcing people they should go to hell. :)

wow all that from someone laughing at child abuse? so high and mighty but a name calling bully.. yuppppppp ok thats fine you are free to think and do as you please right i wont attack you for it.

Whatever..... you started this crap and I'll hazard a guess that THIS kind of thing is why you have all those bans.

We ALL know what opinions are like and you are certainly entitled to yours.

Being an ignorant hypocrite and proud of it wouldn't be my first choice but you do you.

EDIT: Perfect reaction from you.... all you rate is a laugh.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: killster1

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Last week's numbers are finalized, looks like, maybe we're finally on the other side of the curve in my county. Kind of staggering to look at it, in the first 94 weeks, we totaled 24,516 cases. In the last 5 weeks, we added another 16,114. Not surprised considering the overlap of people loosening up from Thanksgiving to New Year's and Omicron.

Okay, I'm a little surprised, that's still a huge jump no matter how you slice it.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
And the loud anti-vaxxers drown out the hesitant ones who persuasion because of bullshit in the past. So then people like you lump them all together as one when the group isn't the same.
Toning things down a bit, how should we reach the hesitant ones? How can we break through the loud anti-vaxxers and reach those who are hesitant?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
_I'm_ not saying that, but that study seems to be saying it found evidence for that.

And, it does seem to fit with the few anti-vaxxers I personally know.

Actually, the interaction between individual trauma and bad experiences, and socio-political issues, seems extraordinarily complicated to me. Ultimately all socio-political phenemena manifest in individual experiences.

I was making light of the situation but I suspect there's some truth to this.

Abuse BY an "authority-figure" like a parent could certainly go a long way towards creating distrust of any kind of authority.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Toning things down a bit, how should we reach the hesitant ones? How can we break through the loud anti-vaxxers and reach those who are hesitant?

Sadly at this point I don't know that its possible.... the only thing that seems to change anyone's mind is when they either lose someone close to them or end up in the ICU themselves. (and then its a bit late!)

:confused:

And apologies to all for perhaps being overly harsh earlier but I'm completely fed up with all the BS behind the vaccine-deniers and Covid and no longer have any patience for it.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
you pretend to know what i care and dont care about. just because i said i SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CARE about anyone doesnt mean i dont care about anyone. so funny that you think we even have a society that is together on any level. there is no greater good.

I don't pretend to do a damn thing. Your own words

I shouldn't be forced to care if the next person dies or not, i shouldn't be forced to care about anything.

If you don't care about people dying, you probably don't care about much of anything for any fellow human you don't have a vested interested in, such as a friend or loved one. And we know you care nothing about a minimum wage, for example. Suffice it to say if you don't care about anybody else's health or ability to make a living with their labor, you don't care about much of anything. I guarantee you don't care about being forced to care about other people's education or reasonably priced housing or access to transportation.

Feel free to correct me.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

oh i see you are laughing about child abuse.
you know what they say... boys will be boys.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

If you don't care about people dying, you probably don't care about much of anything for any fellow human you don't have a vested interested in, such as a friend or loved one. And we know you care nothing about a minimum wage, for example. Suffice it to say if you don't care about anybody else's health or ability to make a living with their labor, you don't care about much of anything. I guarantee you don't care about being forced to care about other people's education or reasonably priced housing or access to transportation.

Feel free to correct me.
I think you could say he's quite the pessimist. Not much works out if everyone is a pessimist.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Day 2 without restrictions. Half the teachers and students are home with Corona. (I work at a school). By the end of next week, everyone should be back. :)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

Feel free to correct me.
"forced to care about being forced to care about..." lulz thanks for the laughs,,, you are trying to make me laugh right? :)

you guarantee! you pretend to know what i care and dont care about, you dont KNOW anything you just make wild assumptions based on a computer forum post! wow guess that makes you............

i already stated that i changed my opinion. every vaccine from now on should be mandated no matter age or reason ((all health conditions should be vax too since there are fake conditions people claim to get out of it)) . if they don't comply they should be executed!! for the greater good right!

i also was told bill gates made the omicron to help get rid of the virus so that it will mass infect with less casualties. so i guess they are trying something :p

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
While poor vaccination rates are part of the problem, I would wager that it is a small part of the problem. I think compared to other wealthy countries, the USA has a high number of people that are frankly not healthy. If you look at deaths from covid, you will see that most are from people with underlying health conditions. Mostly obesity,diabetes, etc. Old age age also plays a big part. Nothing you can do to prevent aging .. but as a person ages health begins to deteriorate.
I think your position is not supported by the data. The UK is a fairly good comp for the United States. They aren't exactly paragons of good health, with the primary difference being they have a single payer health care system. Average age is somewhat comparable too; the U.S. is not a particularly old country like say Japan. We're actually slightly younger than pretty much all of Western Europe.

But the UK's omicron fatality rate is about half of ours. If you read the NYT article, you will see that although they don't knock it out of the park on vaccinations like say Portugal, they have a lot better coverage than we do. They don't have millions of older people who are unvaccinated, and they have a lot more older people boosted (on a per capita basis). These factors directly explain why they navigated omicron a lot better than we have. And it's not exactly something to brag about; their fatality rate for this omicron surge is roughly middle of the pack for wealthy nations.

In short, general poor health and comorbidities are a factor in mortality. But the U.S. simply has a lot more vulnerable seniors than other wealthy nations do.

Edit:
US CDC has released some pertinent data:

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think your position is not supported by the data. The UK is a fairly good comp for the United States. They aren't exactly paragons of good health, with the primary difference being they have a single payer health care system. Average age is somewhat comparable too; the U.S. is not a particularly old country like say Japan. We're actually slightly younger than pretty much all of Western Europe.

But the UK's omicron fatality rate is about half of ours. If you read the NYT article, you will see that although they don't knock it out of the park on vaccinations like say Portugal, they have a lot better coverage than we do. They don't have millions of older people who are unvaccinated, and they have a lot more older people boosted (on a per capita basis). These factors directly explain why they navigated omicron a lot better than we have. And it's not exactly something to brag about; their fatality rate for this omicron surge is roughly middle of the pack for wealthy nations.

In short, general poor health and comorbidities are a factor in mortality. But the U.S. simply has a lot more vulnerable seniors than other wealthy nations do.

Yup, the US has a relatively young age-profile, compared to many other first-world countries. Japan and Eastern Europe , and Italy and Germany all have a population a lot older than the US (all of those being countries with low-birth rates, as it happens - not dissimilar to Russia in that respect).

And when it comes to poor overall health, um, well, the UK definitely gives the US a run for it's money (or maybe not much of a "run", more of a short walk to where the car's parked).

Does seem that the issue is the high number of vaccine-refuseniks. That they seem to be more prevalent in precisely the older age-groups that are more at risk can't help matters.

I'm disappointed with the UK's own performance on vaccinations - we started off really well, but it seemed to stall after a while.

Reactions: Muse

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Interesting take on it

(I'm sure Moonbeam will love this story)

I wonder if some of the people they surveyed felt the same about other vaccines? Were they more hesitant to have their kids vaccinated for the various childhood vaccines we get?

Sadly at this point I don't know that its possible.... the only thing that seems to change anyone's mind is when they either lose someone close to them or end up in the ICU themselves. (and then its a bit late!)
From my personal experience, i don't think minds are going to be changed at this point. The people i know who aren't vaccinated are set in their ways. I've given up even talking about it with them anymore.

The possible exceptions are what Captante said above & maybe, maybe if a new, way worse variant comes around & people realize that any immunity from previous infection doesn't last as long as they think it does.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Apparently deer in Pennsylvania have been catching Covid-19 as well. I wonder if they're going to start sending out game wardens to give them vaccinations as well to prevent another mutation.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Apparently deer in Pennsylvania have been catching Covid-19 as well. I wonder if they're going to start sending out game wardens to give them vaccinations as well to prevent another mutation.
I think I remember reading an article about that months ago?

Maybe it was this one, not sure.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
This is old news. They also have been vaccinating zoo animals for a while now.

I think the first I heard of animals having covid was in cats. I remember because my sister has 4 cats.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wonder if some of the people they surveyed felt the same about other vaccines? Were they more hesitant to have their kids vaccinated for the various childhood vaccines we get?

From my personal experience, i don't think minds are going to be changed at this point. The people i know who aren't vaccinated are set in their ways. I've given up even talking about it with them anymore.

The possible exceptions are what Captante said above & maybe, maybe if a new, way worse variant comes around & people realize that any immunity from previous infection doesn't last as long as they think it does.
I think some people will change their minds. The convincing arguments are being heard such as statistics like you're almost 100x more likely to die from covid if unvaccinated than if you're vaxxed and boosted. You have to be pretty messed up, twisted and stubborn to not see that being vaxxed has something to say for it.

People who are not vaccinated against Covid-19 are 97 times more likely to die from Covid-19 than people who are vaccinated and boosted, according to data presented Wednesday by US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky.
:oops:

Last edited:
  • Haha

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
White tailed deer are a zoonotic source for covid going forward, the point was made by Dr. Greg Poland in his 1:16:xy YT Mayo Clinic video linked several times in the last couple pages of this thread. Point is, we are never going to eradicate covid-19. He said in several generations we'll still be vaxxing people against it. The vaccines are going to evolve, just like the strains will evolve. There have been 5 waves so far, there will be more. Nobody knows how this is going to play out. Some people are thinking/hoping we'll be endemic soon, but it's considerably wishful thinking at this point.