NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 641 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have no specific knowledge about this, but one would think that changing the formula would require more testing, time and money.

Just make more of the same, get it into people's arms, and see what happens.
They seem to think that the original in a 3rd shot will give plenty of protection against Delta for the mRNA vaccines. I think I heard some talk on network OTA news last night about a 2nd J&J. I know I've heard about an mRNA after a J&J shot. I suspect that either will confer a big boost in immunity to all known strains.

It's controversial, but I think that any vaccine given to a recovered person is going to boost their immunity a whole lot. Many recoverers are refusing to get vaccinated, asserting that they are plenty protected, however. It's a blistering multifaceted information war out there concerning covid-19.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well my brother’s family all have COVID. Fully vaccinated and mild symptoms. Should be fine.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
We are at 623k official Covid deaths now, projected to be ~700k at EOY.

But many, many people are denying Covid and demanding that Covid isn't on the death certificate of relatives. https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...-covid-19-from-death-certificates-if-families Thus, the true number of deaths will always be unknown. An estimate is the number of "Excess deaths" which is how many more people died than in typical years. We are at 958k right now. Projected to be over 1 million within the next month. https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend Of course, not all excess deaths are Covid, but absent any other logical reason for deaths to skyrocket, Covid is the most likely cause.
It could actually be more, but the "excess" line is typically higher than the real number of deaths by a few percentage points, and some of the COVID deaths offset other deaths that would've occurred otherwise (like many of the nursing home deaths). Considering Flu, RSV, Colds, and Strep were WAY down last year, the number of non-COVID deaths was likely even lower than normal.

So I'd take the we are already over 1M thought process.

Reactions: Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I have no specific knowledge about this, but one would think that changing the formula would require more testing, time and money.

Just make more of the same, get it into people's arms, and see what happens.
This seems to be an open question. Pfizer is testing a new formulation. But I've read a lot about how it would be treated like a new flu strain, which changes every year without a new trial.

I think they are trying to make it more of the spike, instead of just the end, and be multi-variant, so maybe there is enough change going on the FDA wouldn't just approve it like they would with the flu.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
People who recovered from SARS-COV-1 20 years ago appear to potentially still have strong immunity.

"Eight vaccinated study participants, who had recovered from SARS almost two decades ago, produced very high levels of neutralizing antibodies against both viruses, even after just one dose of the vaccine."

They also produced a broad spectrum of neutralizing antibodies against three SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern in the current pandemic — Alpha, Beta and Delta — and five bat and pangolin sarbecoviruses. No such potent and wide-ranging antibody response was observed in blood samples taken from fully vaccinated individuals, even those who had also had COVID-19.

The researchers suggest that such broad protection could arise because the vaccine jogs the immune system’s ‘memory’ of regions of the SARS virus that are also present in SARS-CoV-2, and possibly many other sarbecoviruses."

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
2nd generation coronavirus vaccines could take out basically all of them by adding targets that don't really change like the stem helix. A natural infection likely primes more broadly because since the immune system sees the whole virus and a vaccine dose wakes up this response. The idea would be to more closely mimic that without infection.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
2nd generation coronavirus vaccines could take out basically all of them by adding targets that don't really change like the stem helix. A natural infection likely primes more broadly because since the immune system sees the whole virus and a vaccine dose wakes up this response. The idea would be to more closely mimic that without infection.

Sign me up. If they can do the same thing for Rhinoviruses and Adenoviruses, I will create a funeral pyre for my Nyquil, Vicks, Halls, etc. and weep with joy.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Whopping 94% of Adults in England Have Covid-19 Antibodies

This could be... good news!? Because is this not how humans got beyond the 1918 Spanish Flu (influenza). It never went away, but enough population built immunity such that moving forward is wasn't as problematic as the first few waves.
If what I heard from Drs. Monica Ghandi and zDoggMD is true (they did some pretty unique Youtube videos together!), the immunity conferred by the Spanish Flu endured for many decades, basically never went away. I think they (one or the other or both) said it was by virtue of T-Cells.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well my brother’s family all have COVID. Fully vaccinated and mild symptoms. Should be fine.
I don't even want that but I suppose it's inevitable I get COVID sooner or later... unless they develop a vaccine that just plain puts the kibosh on all variants. The last few posts here suggest that could indeed be coming.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Definitely ready for an mRNA seasonal flu vaccine. Drastically reduced production time would allow for better selection of what strains are actually going to be circulating.
And it would actually fully match that selection. My understanding is the vaccine strains mutate while growing in the eggs, so what comes out isn't exactly what went in.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
If what I heard from Drs. Monica Ghandi and zDoggMD is true (they did some pretty unique Youtube videos together!), the immunity conferred by the Spanish Flu endured for many decades, basically never went away. I think they (one or the other or both) said it was by virtue of T-Cells.
I read a study about how they dug up some bodies buried in permafrost, and we're able to isolate the real Spanish flu (smart...). They then found some 100 year old, and tested their blood for immunity and found that they were still immune to it, while younger people weren't. IIRC the test subjects would've been around 3 or 4 when they caught it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And it would actually fully match that selection. My understanding is the vaccine strains mutate while growing in the eggs, so what comes out isn't exactly what went in.

Yeah and some don't even grow well in the first place resulting in low yields. This was a problem with H1N1.

Reactions: Zorba

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I've seen elsewhere that once it is fully approved a doctor can prescribe it off label...for any age. Here's hoping I can find a corrupt doctor!

People are already likely fibbing about their kids age by a couple years to pharmacists...

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
People are already likely fibbing about their kids age by a couple years to pharmacists...
Yeah, the good thing about going off label is they could use the smaller dose they are using in their phase 3 trials.

Also hard to convince someone a 5 year-old is 12.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
A thought came to my mind. Hunting might become hazardous if white-tailed deer and other mammals that get hunted are harboring the virus.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I went for immunotherapy infusion today & the oncologist said I could go for my booster shot next week. I am in a study at Mass General measuring how cancer patients respond to the Covid vaccines. I had zero immunity to the Covid virus but did gain protection from the sars Covid spike protein. That lab was done in mid May so I am about due for a booster. My employer is offering the shot & I am grateful to get it.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
A thought came to my mind. Hunting might become hazardous if white-tailed deer and other mammals that get hunted are harboring the virus.

Some other important implications. We never were going to get herd immunity with the current vaccinations, but this could be the nail in the coffin as far as ever achieving it. It also brings into question outdoor transmission, unless these deer are gathering indoors clandestinely.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Some other important implications. We never were going to get herd immunity with the current vaccinations, but this could be the nail in the coffin as far as ever achieving it. It also brings into question outdoor transmission, unless these deer are gathering indoors clandestinely.
If you're any good, the animal should be dead when you're near it so it won't be breathing on you.
I've never heard of food being contaminated with Covid. There was some confusion early on with washing your groceries, but the food itself... i don't think so.

Has anyone heard of a person getting Covid from eating anything?

Also this:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...images-within.2089188/page-3348#post-40573176

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
If you're any good, the animal should be dead when you're near it so it won't be breathing on you.
I've never heard of food being contaminated with Covid. There was some confusion early on with washing your groceries, but the food itself... i don't think so.

Has anyone heard of a person getting Covid from eating anything?

Also this:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...images-within.2089188/page-3348#post-40573176
More like a hunter can enter spaces where the deer or other creatures congregated and breathed.

I mean, wasn't the wet market hypothesis that the lobbied "best" explanation given the extraordinary destruction and obfuscation of evidence(the equivalent of the cops destroying DNA that would implicate a killer). Wet markets are outdoors.

The there's the matter how the disease got to deer in the first place, given they are creatures that naturally social distance themselves from humans if humans are present; maybe mice got it from humans and go to the deer. Although they will walk into yards when humans are not present. I've seen them around in my area and they are common on NIST's grounds.

Zoo exhibit animals also have gotten COVID, and they are obviously get farther away than just 6 feet, to protect the people and such from bites, etc.