NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 638 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Got back from Puerto Vallarta last week. They are desperate for any vaccines there and are taking any of them they can get. Sputnik, Chinese ones, whatever and are only about 10% vaccinated. Meanwhile we have millions of people here still refusing to get them...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The video made one statement that just did not seem to make sense to me. Future variants won't be as troublesome as Delta just because Delta is so good it will be hard to beat.

Then I came across this in the article, which, by the way, I found to be excellent for the most part. The next variants will be worse, because Delta is now the baseline. All the lineages will derive from Delta.

Predictions are really difficult, especially when you are talking about the future.
Yes, I find predicting the past to be a much easier task.

Reactions: Captante

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Yes, I find predicting the past to be a much easier task.

I agree. I always win my trades 100% of the time when I go backwards. Forward... 50/50.

On topic, the number on new UK cases has stopped decreasing and has leveled out at a pretty high rate. That's not the trend we saw with India so I wonder what's going on there. It contradicts the theory of Delta running through population so quickly it burns out.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Found out my uncle passed over the weekend from complications with covid. I wasn't very close but the family did spend a good amount of time with him a few years ago while we were in Hawaii. My parents said he was not vaxxed so...

Also got tested today. Yesterday my sinuses were going nuts and throat was hurting bad. But saturday night I got pretty hammered and started smoking cigars which I don't do and I'm pretty sure my allergies were bad because I was sneezing all day. But the test site is on the way to work and hardly busy so I decided to stop in. I feel fine today.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Found out my uncle passed over the weekend from complications with covid. I wasn't very close but the family did spend a good amount of time with him a few years ago while we were in Hawaii. My parents said he was not vaxxed so...

Also got tested today. Yesterday my sinuses were going nuts and throat was hurting bad. But saturday night I got pretty hammered and started smoking cigars which I don't do and I'm pretty sure my allergies were bad because I was sneezing all day. But the test site is on the way to work and hardly busy so I decided to stop in. I feel fine today.
damn, my condolences

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I saw in another article that J&J data from their two-shot trial will be put next month, so at least one of the shots will have clear follow-up on the efficacy of an additional shot. It also means that the administration is holding off on recommendations for J&J recipients getting another shot.

Some data would be nice. We're kind of shooting from the hip based on Israeli experience and whatever Pfizer is showing the FDA.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Some data would be nice. We're kind of shooting from the hip based on Israeli experience and whatever Pfizer is showing the FDA.
I didn't want to bother scrolling past the second page of pubmed search results. But here are a few articles:

Then you have the roughly 1 million people who just snuck in a 3rd dose without complications.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Just got back from 5 nights in Puerto Rico.

Glad they are taking it serious over there. Masks are required everywhere indoors. We were outside most of the time as it was but inside we always had them on. We really only went inside of hotel or restaurants, where you'd wear the masks while walking to your table then take em off. Everyone who goes into PR must provide vaccine card or a negative test, so that also made me feel good about it.

Feb 4, 2009
What is the current best guess regarding boosters.
Will we stick with what we got as in I had Moderna will my booster be Moderna or Pfizer or will it matter?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
What is the current best guess regarding boosters.
Will we stick with what we got as in I had Moderna will my booster be Moderna or Pfizer or will it matter?
For practical reasons, I'm pretty sure it will be a mix and match thing. Not all locations can stock all vaccines just in case someone walks in with a different vaccine history. Also, I saw an article a while ago that mixing and matching had a better effectiveness.

The goal with boosters is to have the boosters aimed for the current or upcoming strains. Right now, that will be the delta variant. But who knows what future boosters may need to be.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat
Feb 4, 2009
For practical reasons, I'm pretty sure it will be a mix and match thing. Not all locations can stock all vaccines just in case someone walks in with a different vaccine history. Also, I saw an article a while ago that mixing and matching had a better effectiveness.

The goal with boosters is to have the boosters aimed for the current or upcoming strains. Right now, that will be the delta variant. But who knows what future boosters may need to be.

Smart answer and the inventory control aspect of not mixing would be challenging. I should have been smart enough to know that given my work history.
Thank you for enlightening me.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I didn't want to bother scrolling past the second page of pubmed search results. But here are a few articles:

Then you have the roughly 1 million people who just snuck in a 3rd dose without complications.

What we know probably falls in the area of "likely good enough to make the call". Another shot raises antibody levels as would be expected. Something more rigorous would be nice but the US sucks at running trials so we have to watch the Israelis basically doing it live.

The million people who illicitly got an extra shot probably wouldn't come forward and say the did unless they ended up in the hospital for it. However none of the available research indicates its is at all risky.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The question I have is if Papa Joe Biden's offer of a $100 check for the COVID shot applies to getting the booster shot as well.

If not, maybe I'll hold out for a better offer :)