NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 481 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
**** needs to shut down again like right now. Over a million people per are being infected. Actually that's last week's infection rate since there is at least a 1 week delay between actual infection and a positive test result. At least reset the counter a bit so this country has a chance to get through the winter.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Elon Musk may have tested positive. He had several tests in a row and it was basically 50/50. Just getting this from a tweet so nothing official. I presume he'll go for more tests to try to confirm.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
If he is really testing "50/50" he most likely has it, since false positives are much more rare than false negatives.

Edit: Nvm I saw it was the rapid antigen. Those are known to be inaccurate. He needs a PCR test.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
**** needs to shut down again like right now. Over a million people per are being infected. Actually that's last week's infection rate since there is at least a 1 week delay between actual infection and a positive test result. At least reset the counter a bit so this country has a chance to get through the winter.

We definitely need to do something. Since we aren't locking down (yet?), I shaved my beard yesterday so I can properly wear N95 again. Noticed that the surgical masks kinda seal now too... at least when I inhale.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If he is really testing "50/50" he most likely has it, since false positives are much more rare than false negatives.

Edit: Nvm I saw it was the rapid antigen. Those are known to be inaccurate. He needs a PCR test.

Antigen tests while less accurate than PCR are fine. I mean the whole point is they are cheaper so you can take them more often and it will still find infections. If Elon is symptomatic and has two positive antigen tests in hand I don't know what he's confused about. Sure get a PCR to make sure but odds are overwhelming that he's got the bug.

Reactions: Captante
Dec 10, 2005
Antigen tests while less accurate than PCR are fine. I mean the whole point is they are cheaper so you can take them more often and it will still find infections. If Elon is symptomatic and has two positive antigen tests in hand I don't know what he's confused about. Sure get a PCR to make sure but odds are overwhelming that he's got the bug.
Many of the antigen tests were only approved for symptomatic patients, with a caveat that negative results get followed up by a lab-based PCR test, due to that large potential for false negatives, especially early in the infection cycle.

People are using rapid tests in a very inappropriate way, and then complaining loudly about it because they don't understand.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Many of the antigen tests were only approved for symptomatic patients, with a caveat that negative results get followed up by a lab-based PCR test, due to that large potential for false negatives, especially early in the infection cycle.

People are using rapid tests in a very inappropriate way, and then complaining loudly about it because they don't understand.

Sounds like he is symptomatic but only just so. Maybe hovering near the edge of the test detection threshold.

But yes most of the antigen tests should not be used for asymptomatic people unless they've demonstrated accuracy in finding them in the first place.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Elon said he's getting the PCR test but I've a feeling he got the corona. But I'm sure he'll be fine since he's relatively young and has access to the best care in the world since he has money and fame.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

I think that in most of the country, phased shutdowns by zip code (or other zone identification) can be implemented using a model similar to what is used in New York. If community spread spikes in a particular area, more stringent public health measures are implemented (including local shutdowns) to get the infection rate down to some baseline. No need to shut down the entire country. Some states or cities may need to shut down based on their specific situation, but that doesn't have to be the rule. The three most important rules to follow during this phase of the epidemic are:

1. Follow the state, local and CDC public health guidelines.
2. Follow the state, local and CDC public health guidelines.
3. Follow the state, local and CDC public health guidelines.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011

So I got tested twice last week. Once on my way home, since they were able to get me in at a good time. Then the next day, I took my daughter in for a rapid test because she was having symptoms of a sore throat, cough and runny nose (no fever or body aches etc.). I figured since I'm there, I might as well do the rapid test. Both tests I took were negative, as was my daughter's. I don't see any reason for me to get tested again, and I have no symptoms, but I've been wondering how accurate these rapid tests are and whether I should have my daughter do a regular test. In the end, I think we're fine. My daughter is feeling much better and her throat doesn't hurt anymore. Most likely just a cold.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
So I got tested twice last week. Once on my way home, since they were able to get me in at a good time. Then the next day, I took my daughter in for a rapid test because she was having symptoms of a sore throat, cough and runny nose (no fever or body aches etc.). I figured since I'm there, I might as well do the rapid test. Both tests I took were negative, as was my daughter's. I don't see any reason for me to get tested again, and I have no symptoms, but I've been wondering how accurate these rapid tests are and whether I should have my daughter do a regular test. In the end, I think we're fine. My daughter is feeling much better and her throat doesn't hurt anymore. Most likely just a cold.

THAT is a good sign because AFAIK, runny nose is NOT one of COVID's symptoms, which would indicate a regular cold / flu.

Still, and to be on the safe side, better get her tested with a PCR test, just to be sure because, on the off chance it is COVID, then there's the possibility of her spreading it to the direct family members, which can have worse consequences than for her.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
In the very rural county next to mine they put out a press release stating that 55%(!) of residents with COVID went to work while symptomatic. That right there is all you need to know about why the USA is the global laughingstock on pandemic response.

Nov 8, 2012
In the very rural county next to mine they put out a press release stating that 55%(!) of residents with COVID went to work while symptomatic. That right there is all you need to know about why the USA is the global laughingstock on pandemic response.

I stopped by Costco this weekend to pick up some needed items... big mistake...

Everyone for whatever reason have forgotten all sense of common decency. Oh wait, Americans are already shit for that to start with....

What just pisses me off are fuckheads who feel it's at all acceptable to bring entire families to cramped retail aisles. I saw at least 3 groups of people with the likes of Mom, Dad, their 3 grown kids that can stay home alone, and even fucking grandpa with them. What in the flying fuck is your problem? What OUNCE of sane rational thinking was going on inside your head to determine "Yeah, this is an acceptable move while a world-wide pandemic outbreak is going on" ?

Reactions: Ichinisan

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Took a COVID test today that will be run using PCR. It's a pre-screening for an outpatient procedure.
The line wasn't very long, 7 cars. But it took a while because there were a couple of SUVs with the whole family.
Doing a nasal swab on a small child (pre-k) resulted in some pretty horrifying screams!
Glad I wasn't one of the nurses doing the testing - God bless them.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
I stopped by Costco this weekend to pick up some needed items... big mistake...

Everyone for whatever reason have forgotten all sense of common decency. Oh wait, Americans are already shit for that to start with....

What just pisses me off are fuckheads who feel it's at all acceptable to bring entire families to cramped retail aisles. I saw at least 3 groups of people with the likes of Mom, Dad, their 3 grown kids that can stay home alone, and even fucking grandpa with them. What in the flying fuck is your problem? What OUNCE of sane rational thinking was going on inside your head to determine "Yeah, this is an acceptable move while a world-wide pandemic outbreak is going on" ?
Yeah, I made the mistake of going to Sam's Club today. Same shit.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007

Uncontrolled capitalism at its finest: literally living to work.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I wonder what their reasoning is? Is it i just don't give a F*** or how the hell i'm i going to pay the bills if i don't go to work?
I'm finding out thru co-workers that have been quarantined that using their vacation days are the only way to get money if you can't go to work and some of them have used that up.

I'm being told but have not verified this:
Unemployment is no help, the state is out of money for COVID relief and our employer is not taking advantage of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employer Paid Leave Requirements. Apparently they've opted out of this.
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employer-paid-leave

One of my co-workers told me the heath dept. told him to go beg at a church :(

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
New Mexico banning dining in at restaurants again. My brother runs one and thinks this round will be the end of his business. :(

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I dont normally get flu shots, but this year I got one.

Sister is a doctor. Yes, they tell everyone to get a flu shot but many in the business don't. They don't because after your get a flu shot your immune system starts fighting all the virus's in the flu shot weakening your immune system. Then if you do catch Covid, your immune system is seriously weakened and not able to fight Covid. Many are not getting the flu shot for this reason.