NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 151 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
That's like saying my kids go out and buy all the candy at the surrounding stores and other kids don't have any. My kids should be laughing that they have it all? There's other things to be concerned with.

Short supply doesn't mean they were right until it is an actual needed commodity. Nobody should care about the TP or ammo until something happens.

Well. I do hope they are wrong. This is just like the first few minutes of the first quarter. We will see how things turn out in the late 3rd/4th quarter.

Them preppers are laughing now because they are not in any stress of fighting the crowd and waiting for hours in long lines.

Reactions: killster1

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
They already have very much and much more of what regular folks are desperately looking for now. They would be like "we told you so". You know just like the ant and the grasshopper. Full disclosure - <<--- Not a prepper by any mean.

I would probably bet that all the "preppers" that already had a stock of the things that are low in current supply... probably wont even start using them ... they just admire looking at their stockpile

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I would probably bet that all the "preppers" that already had a stock of the things that are low in current supply... probably wont even start using them ... they just admire looking at their stockpile
Which is why we're the ones laughing during all the other times.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Welp, all of my shit is canceled for at least 2 weeks.

I bought Read Dead Redemption 2 a while back. Maybe I can go college-style and sink into my couch and play thought that thing.

I wish I had weed.
Not good to smoke now, same goes for weed. You want your lungs in tip top shape these days.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Maybe not now. But let say 3-4 months from now, those supplies "could" be very valuable if things get worse. Remember when this thing started in mainland china a few months ago? Any of us ever thought things could be this bad (stock market, airlines, tp, supplies, etc.) so fast? Stay tuned. As I said, I hope they are wrong and this is just a minor hiccup.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Now the authorities are saying they expect this to go on for another year, and for 80% of the population to catch it. That's a year of worrying about all the elderly people I know, and a year of the healthcare system being constantly strained to capacity.
How the hell are you going to get any immunity unless you catch it? Heard they're gonna start testing a vaccine today, but ETA best case is more than a year out.

From epidemiological standpoint for the initial onslaught (pre-vaccine) the strategy is to try to keep the treatment facilities from being over burdened to maximum extent possible. Meantime, also facilitate research of all kinds, vaccine/antibody production a major emphasis. Too bad Obama isn't the president! He'd be all on that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
In a way this may turn out to be a good thing in the long run. It gives us ways to deal with similar situations in the future. In the end the world will end up with more experience in the modern era and thus more prepared with proactive measures.

Hopefully. :)

that would be great if we had any proven capacity to learn from actual history.

we don't.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If the Chinese would stop eating endangered animals out of jungles like pangolins & civets & monkeys & eating things not meant to be eaten this would have never started . They're considering a ban on eating dogs cats rats horses and donkeys right now. Why don't they eat each other there's certainly no endangered status on the citizens on the mainland of China. If this comment gets me banned good enough & cheers at least I got to say what's deep in my angry disgusted heart.
Chicken => pig => human is the most common route for animal to people flu transmission. If you wanted to be more accurate you could have simply said people need to stop penning birds and hogs near each other. Then I would agree with you.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
did you ever google zinc and these things called vitamins? u could use some of your free time with that.
@killster1... those Nature's Way 23mg zinc lozenges you bought...

My sister calls yesterday and we chat. She has the same ones, and I had them in my cart yesterday at The Vitamin Shoppe after going through the rigamarole of registering, password and all, putting 5 in my cart for free shipping and ultimately finding out they were OOS, the bastards.

Well, sister a lot left in her bottle and no N95, so we swapped. I gave her 8 N95, she gave me 20 lozenges. BTW, the instructions say dissolve completely in mouth (i.e. not chew or swallow):

Nature's Way

ZINC LOZENGES
--WILD BERRY FLAVORED--
IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT
60 VEGAN LOZENGES
DIETARY SUPPLEMENT

Recommendation: Take 1 lozenge every two hours, up to 6 lozenges daily. Do not use for more than 7 days. Caution: This product is for use in adults (18 years and older). Do not take this product on an empty stomach to avoid a minor upset stomach. Do not chew or swallow the lozenge whole. Dissolve completely in mouth. Not recommended for individuals with autoimmune conditions. Individuals with allergies to plant of the Asteracese (Compositae) family, including ragweed, should use this product with caution. If you are pregnant, nursing, or taking any medications, consult a healthcare professional before use.

Supplement Facts
Service Size 1 Lozenge
Amount per Serving %DV
Total Carb. 1g <1%
Vitamin C 100mg 111%
Zinc (as zinc citrate and gluconate) 23mg 209%
Echinacea purpurea (stem, leaf, flower) 20mg
He's the OP.

Pretty sure he was just joking about alcohol... like the person he was quoting.
Dumb joke. We should all know by now that drinking is not advised while this is going on. Did you know that ethyl alcohol is toxic?

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
They already have very much and much more of what regular folks are desperately looking for now. They would be like "we told you so". You know just like the ant and the grasshopper. Full disclosure - <<--- Not a prepper by any mean.
Not all preppers are the same. My crazy mother fancies herself a prepper, which is why she has bongos and is asking me to hoard and freeze Taco Bell quesadillas.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I love a good prepper steak.

0027000442050_a1c1_1200.png

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Canada just announced they're shutting their border down, except for USA citizens and immediate family members. So I'm still OK...

Nov 8, 2012
Canada just announced they're shutting their border down, except for USA citizens and immediate family members. So I'm still OK...

Shutting borders down in a physical sense - or airfare sense as well?

I mean, since were kinda their only physical neighbor, that basically means excludes refugees/illegals?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Well I crossed California this weekend, picked someone up at the San Jose airport and hit all the virus hotspots, then went out to bars and went to the ski resorts before they closed on Sunday. I'd let someone have my stuff but it's already infected, so a nuke from orbit is more appropriate.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Not all preppers are the same. My crazy mother fancies herself a prepper, which is why she has bongos and is asking me to hoard and freeze Taco Bell quesadillas.

Well, some of them surely are nutty and paranoid. I don't mind be prepared like Boy Scouts, just to have extra just in case. As in the last few weeks, I did not have to deal with the stress and hassle of shopping for cleaning supplies, toilet paper, water, canned foods, etc, because I have enough to last a month or two, not several years like them crazy folks. But again, if things turn out like Max Mad (original with Mel G.), then we all normal folks would be like up the creek without any paddle.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Well, some of them surely are nutty and paranoid. I don't mind be prepared like Boy Scouts, just to have extra just in case. As in the last few weeks, I did not have to deal with the stress and hassle of shopping for cleaning supplies, toilet paper, water, canned foods, etc, because I have enough to last a month or two, not several years like them crazy folks.
Well, her biggest fear is a Russian EMP wiping out the grid and leaving us in the dark ages for the foreseeable future. In her mind, we'll need non-electronic entertainment, hence the bongos instead of the Berettas.

It's starting: this post brought to you by cellular data since the home Internet is out. There are trucks from both cable companies down the street a little bit and I'm betting both crew leads are Russian sleeper agents. ;)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well, her biggest fear is a Russian EMP wiping out the grid and leaving us in the dark ages for the foreseeable future. In her mind, we'll need non-electronic entertainment, hence the bongos instead of the Berettas.

It's starting: this post brought to you by cellular data since the home Internet is out. There are trucks from both cable companies down the street a little bit and I'm betting both crew leads are Russian sleeper agents. ;)

takes this opportunity to update your mom's WiFi handle to "JadeHelm black van" or something like that.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
takes this opportunity to update your mom's WiFi handle to "JadeHelm black van" or something like that.
I think her Internet is still working (other side of town) but maybe I'll scare her with some "it starts!" hyperbole. ;)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
There is some rationality to some of it... I don't know if you know this... but.... fresh food goes bad! I know, right? Who knew?!

There's a reason I made sure to have 6+ frozen pizzas "just in case".
I keep 10 field rations on the shelf... its not supreme eating but it works and is calorie dense.
If I run out, thats what the shotgun is for, so I can rob someone elses food KIDDING... (or am I?)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Shutting borders down in a physical sense - or airfare sense as well?

I mean, since were kinda their only physical neighbor, that basically means excludes refugees/illegals?

Paradoxically Americans are allowed in. I guess it's about the integrated economy.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well I crossed California this weekend, picked someone up at the San Jose airport and hit all the virus hotspots, then went out to bars and went to the ski resorts before they closed on Sunday. I'd let someone have my stuff but it's already infected, so a nuke from orbit is more appropriate.

Can I have your stuff?

• Haha
Reactions: cytg111