No Sequester For obamas Daughters

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
This thread reads like Faux News faux outrage. Shouldn't the OP be raving about Benghazi or birth certificates or something?

Jan 25, 2011
Taxpayer Bill for Obama’s Hawaii Vacations: $20 Million

by Keith Koffler on January 4, 2013, 10:07 am

Michelle Obama recently revealed that she and President Obama don’t give Christmas gifts to each other. They merely say, “We’re in Hawaii,” and that’s Christmas gift enough.

But actually the present is from taxpayers, and it’s an expensive one.

The total cost to taxpayers of Obama’s vacations to Hawaii since becoming president is likely in excess of $20 million, and possibly much, much more. During a time of budget deficits that threaten the nation’s security and its future, the Obamas have chosen to maintain a “family tradition” and vacation halfway around the world instead of finding far cheaper alternatives closer to home.

The $20 million figure is based on estimates of the cost of the four Hawaii vacations the Obamas have taken during Christmastime 2009-2012. According to a detailed breakdown by the Hawaii Reporter, the annual excursions in 2009, 2010, and 2011 cost about $4 million, much of it attributable to the expense of taking Air Force One, at an hour rate of about $180,000, on an eighteen-hour roundtrip journey to Honolulu and back.

Awe how cute. I notice he doesn't mention, at all, what the cost would have been had they been sitting in Washington.

Love the halfway around the world line though. Pathetic.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Awe how cute. I notice he doesn't mention, at all, what the cost would have been had they been sitting in Washington.
It might cost less. Maybe they use minimal security at home then hire a bunch of temps on field trips. Get random guys from the street, put suits on them, sun glasses, ear piece, and pay them to look intimidating.

That must be a bit of a stressful job. Imagine you fell asleep and the president got shot on your watch. You'd be on Oprah trying to blame it on your parents and the time zone changes and the sun was making you dizzy.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
And exactly how much of our tax dollars would you estimate are going towards fuel, maintenance, and crew on Air Force One?

I doubt they flew air force one on their vacation. But you are either dodging the question or don't want to acknowledge the costs involved with ferrying around the children of the president. You asked if taxpayers money was spent on this trip. The answer is yes. Once shown how tax payers money was spent on the trip you moved the goal posts to whether or not tax payers paid for lodging ect. Why don't you just acknowledge that tax payers money was spent on this trip and save both of us from having to go in circles as you dance around.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I doubt they flew air force one on their vacation. But you are either dodging the question or don't want to acknowledge the costs involved with ferrying around the children of the president. You asked if taxpayers money was spent on this trip. The answer is yes. Once shown how tax payers money was spent on the trip you moved the goal posts to whether or not tax payers paid for lodging ect. Why don't you just acknowledge that tax payers money was spent on this trip and save both of us from having to go in circles as you dance around.

I was always asking if the tax payers paid for the TRIP, not the airfare.

I also commented earlier about Air Force One most likely being accounted for in the Emergency budget. I asked, and I keep asking whether or not we paid for the Bahamas and Skiiing trips...to which you basically answered "how am I supposed to know?".

You can go back and look if you want.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Any President or Presidential candidate who choose to put their kids at the forefront or whose kids choose to put themselves at the forefront, make those kids valid targets for scrutiny and ire. Obama and Bush 2 did not and therefore their kids should be off limits. The trend seemed to largely start when conservative pundits started viciously verbally assaulting Chelsea Clinton when she was in high school. Palin's kids were often put in the forefront by her. Though Bristol shouldn't have gotten targeted until the point where she allowed herself to be a public figure and the kid with Down's Syndrome (Trig I think) should never be a target. Palin herself though should have been assailed as much as possible for choosing to hide behind her kids.

Several of Romney's sons involved themselves in his campaign, which makes them valid targets. But only the ones who chose to involve themselves.

You'll only confuse and anger them with facts. How dare you ruin a partisan narrative! Bah!

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
As I understand it the President pays for the airfare and accommodations of his daughters' when they go on vacation. The Secret Service protection just comes with the territory... After all, do we really want the President to be distracted by a ransom situation involving his children?

Fuck, attack Presidents sure... it comes with the territory these days, but have enough class at least to leave their children out of it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I have no way of knowing, do you? The trip costs are not just lodging or food or souvenirs. You realize that right? Even if Obama paid for the hotels,food, and souvenirs out of his own pocket. Those would pale in comparison to the cost of flying them in a state plane + security detail.

Well, unless you are implying they should be confined to the WH or their dorms or something then I would think that security is required if they are on vacation or not. Sure there are other costs that wouldn't normally have been accrued but frankly that isn't even a rounding error on some pissant agencies budget.

Bottom line, I have absolutely no give a fuck about what the Presidents daughters do, where they vacation, who they do, etc...

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Any President or Presidential candidate who choose to put their kids at the forefront or whose kids choose to put themselves at the forefront, make those kids valid targets for scrutiny and ire. Obama and Bush 2 did not and therefore their kids should be off limits. The trend seemed to largely start when conservative pundits started viciously verbally assaulting Chelsea Clinton when she was in high school. Palin's kids were often put in the forefront by her. Though Bristol shouldn't have gotten targeted until the point where she allowed herself to be a public figure and the kid with Down's Syndrome (Trig I think) should never be a target. Palin herself though should have been assailed as much as possible for choosing to hide behind her kids.

Several of Romney's sons involved themselves in his campaign, which makes them valid targets. But only the ones who chose to involve themselves.

Bullshit Thraash. There's always been some small attacks against Presidential kids, I still recall the Johnson girls getting some negative coverage. You're just trying to justify the nasty smearing attacks on your political enemies. Leave the little kids alone

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
As I understand it the President pays for the airfare and accommodations of his daughters' when they go on vacation. The Secret Service protection just comes with the territory... After all, do we really want the President to be distracted by a ransom situation involving his children?

Fuck, attack Presidents sure... it comes with the territory these days, but have enough class at least to leave their children out of it.

Tell that to Incorruptible. He thinks Sasha and Malia should be fair targets. He hates the President AND his kids and thinks that a Middle Schooler and a girl in 9th grade should be scrutinized.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Really? Does he pay for the secret service?

So you think the Presidents family should be confined to the White House in order to save a few million bucks out of a damn near 4 trillion dollar budget? They shouldn't have the same freedom to choose where they go as you and I do?

Why do you believe that the Presidents family should have to forfeit their rights simply because someone related to them is the President?

Apr 27, 2012
The OP is right considering how high the national debt is and considering the fact that the President wants everyone to pay more taxes.

We have over $16 trillion in debt and it will go even higher and eventually the US economy WILL collapse. But according to some people there is nothing wrong with obama and his daughters going on vacation costing the taxpayer lots of money in a time where we should all be `suffering from sequester`.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Why aren't the "1%" crowd angry about this?

Is it because it's government money and not personal money?

Success and excess are OK if done through government, just not on your own?

Apr 27, 2012
Tell that to Incorruptible. He thinks Sasha and Malia should be fair targets. He hates the President AND his kids and thinks that a Middle Schooler and a girl in 9th grade should be scrutinized.

I hate the policies not him and his kids. As long as his kids are being paid for by the taxpayer I have a problem. I would have no problem if the taxpayer wasn't paying for this.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I hate the policies not him and his kids. As long as his kids are being paid for by the taxpayer I have a problem. I would have no problem if the taxpayer wasn't paying for this.

And you have zero proof to back up any of the shit you say.

In the thread you made about the armed guards at Sidwell Friends back when Sandy Hook happened you stated CLEARLY that you have a problem with his daughters and that they deserve hate because their father is a POS.

You said that.

It was another one of your Faux outrage threads and a few people beat you over the head for claiming children should be targets if they're the offspring of Obama.

Last edited:

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Lavish lifestyles aren't only enjoyed by the executive. If you have a problem with it at least hold ALL of them to the same standard. Agreed its money better spent elsewhere but most will see you as a partisan hack even if your intention is only to shed light on the politicians who don't give a shit.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
His kids should never be allowed to leave the White House ever.
Everywhere they go they will need to have protection and that is $$$$$ to taxpayers!!! Money being taken from my pocket! Those bastards!1!

Jan 25, 2011
Lavish lifestyles aren't only enjoyed by the executive. If you have a problem with it at least hold ALL of them to the same standard. Agreed its money better spent elsewhere but most will see you as a partisan hack even if your intention is only to shed light on the politicians who don't give a shit.

No people see it as completely dishonest drivel that ignores reality to try and attack the President, yet again, for made up outrage.

These type of stories disregard common sense to make their narrative. It's just sad and petty on top of being complete bullshit.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
No people see it as completely dishonest drivel that ignores reality to try and attack the President, yet again, for made up outrage.

These type of stories disregard common sense to make their narrative. It's just sad and petty on top of being complete bullshit.

If "taxpayer" money was spent for their vacations why would you NOT complain?

Apr 27, 2012

I opposed this for bush`s daughters as well, the only difference is that its considered alright to attack him and his daughters but not obama. As well I wasn't here when bush was in charge and I only joined back in April.

Jan 25, 2011
If "taxpayer" money was spent for their vacations why would you NOT complain?

Because they don't have a choice other than never leaving the White House? Security for the first family is mandated. They don't get a choice in the matter.

And the figures being quoted are also severely bloated and don't lend anything to common sense.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Because they don't have a choice other than never leaving the White House? Security for the first family is mandated. They don't get a choice in the matter.

And the figures being quoted are also severely bloated and don't lend anything to common sense.

Considering the OP here why would you EVER assume common sense is involved?