No job, no insurance, has brain tumor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 16, 1999
This is my own personal worst fear and I have insurance. I can't imagine how not having it compounds the impact of something like this. I hope your friend manages the bills and the sickness OK.

And that's all I'll say because I really don't feel like using this to springboard into a political rant. These kind of things happen every day and have been for decades and that alone should be enough to create a push a better system than we have. Yet here we still are.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Republicans.txt

Let them Die and decrease the surplus population!

0.jpg

EBENEZER SCROOGE GOP IN 2012!!!

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
He should still be eligible for COBRA (i think it's good for 30-90 days after you lose your job). It may not be cheap, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than no insurance.

Unless he worked for a small business that is exempt.

The employer has 44days to send the documentation, then the ex-employee has 60 days to respond from the day it is sent and another 44 days after that to pay the premium. And it's retroactive coverage as soon as you pay, so you can wait until you get sick or until the deadline to send in your payment, if you don't pay all you lose is the coverage. It's almost like 15-21 weeks of free health insurance, I've been surprised by the number of people who don't know this or take advantage of it.

This is my own personal worst fear and I have insurance. I can't imagine how not having it compounds the impact of something like this. I hope your friend manages the bills and the sickness OK.

And that's all I'll say because I really don't feel like using this to springboard into a political rant. These kind of things happen every day and have been for decades and that alone should be enough to create a push a better system than we have. Yet here we still are.

^ my feelings as well.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
People are still caring about this? Good riddance to a drain on the economy. Now, when's the race coming on?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Has he got a passport and can he travel? Hop on a plane and go to europe or Canada...go to a hospital there and get it for free.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
good luck to your friend. any country will treat him better than here. Cuba, Phillipines......world class service and doctors at 1/3000th of the cost.

Maybe we can pay for your expatriation to Cuba, where you can live 3000 times better than here.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Maybe we can pay for your expatriation to Cuba, where you can live 3000 times better than here.

What's this "we" shit? Talking about your Conservative Circle Jerk fan club? Tell me something, if Ronald Reagan was still alive, which one of you would blow him first?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

I can't entirely separate politics from this, but I can remove partisanship. We desperately need, and have needed, serious health care reform. Yet all that's done is complain about insurance companies or whatever. What's needed is an intelligent holistic examination of the body of health care and treatment of that patient without political patent medicine coming into play. That hasn't happened, and won't because it's too much effort and not enough political gain in having someone else have a better idea and have that happen. I can give a list of things which ought to be done but it would be pointless. They only address the health of the person, the system and the US, not the benefit of Republicans or Democrats.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
What's this "we" shit? Talking about your Conservative Circle Jerk fan club? Tell me something, if Ronald Reagan was still alive, which one of you would blow him first?

If you had a brain who's puppet would you be?
Psst, I didn't like Reagan, but you didn't want to know that.

kia75

Oct 30, 2005
Why isnt there a safety net for people who make more then what medicaid allows, but can not afford to buy health insurance?

Exactly! Single Payer, a government option, Medicare for all, etc is needed for everybody! Remember what happened to your friend next time there is a health care debate.

Obama would force people to buy insurance. But when families are barely getting by, how are they supposed to pay for the coverage?

This is why single payer is the best way to handle insurance. Make it a tax where the poor pay a smaller tax while the rich pay a larger tax.

People like your friend DO need to be subsidized. Maybe next time there's a health care debate we can actually discuss it instead of just oppose everything the Democrats do out of spite.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
If you had a brain who's puppet would you be?
Psst, I didn't like Reagan, but you didn't want to know that.

Psst, of course you did. He's the saint of the "Don't give a fuck about anyone else, get yours" mantra of the "conservatives" these days. It's grounds for expulsion from the religion to not revere him.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Exactly! Single Payer, a government option, Medicare for all, etc is needed for everybody! Remember what happened to your friend next time there is a health care debate.

This is why single payer is the best way to handle insurance. Make it a tax where the poor pay a smaller tax while the rich pay a larger tax.

People like your friend DO need to be subsidized. Maybe next time there's a health care debate we can actually discuss it instead of just oppose everything the Democrats do out of spite.

Or we could just cut Medicaid to the POS it covers now and instead extend it to the people described in the OP.

EDIT: Or extend free health care to people who graduate high school, don't have children out of wedlock, and don't do drugs

Its called the social contract which means there are obligations to both sides.

Last edited:

kia75

Oct 30, 2005
Or we could just cut Medicaid to the POS it covers now and instead extend it to the people described in the OP.

But I thought the OP's friend was checking to see if he qualified for Medicaid. If it turns out he does qualify for medicaid, will you apologize to his friend for calling him a POS?

EDIT: Or extend free health care to people who graduate high school, don't have children out of wedlock, and don't do drugs

Its called the social contract which means there are obligations to both sides.

Florida, in an effort to curb welfare rolls instituted mandatory drug testing. The tests cost hundreds of millions of dollars to implement. In the end it found less the 3 percent of the people used drugs and cut welfare costs lest then a hundred thousand dollars. When you figure in the hundreds of millions of dollars it cost to save a hundred thousand dollars, the state lost hundreds of millions of dollars in the plan.

For some reason lots of people think being poor is a crime or a character flaw. The Op's friend doesn't have much money but he seems like a good person who fell on hard times. Almost everyone will fall into some hard times, and everyone could use some help to get on their feet.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Psst, of course you did. He's the saint of the "Don't give a fuck about anyone else, get yours" mantra of the "conservatives" these days. It's grounds for expulsion from the religion to not revere him.

Well then you can use our search feature and embarrass me. I've called Ronnie out about pension raids.

Now I suggest this. Since you are insistent that I favored Ron R, then do that search function and pull out full quotes in context of anything that I've said about him.

Since you are so sure, then you get to call me a liar.

If you don't do so I'm going to say you are a dumb fuck and your inability or unwillingness leaves you lower on the evolutionary scale than scabies.

That's an offer you surely cannot refuse. Make me suffer.

I'll give you 15 minutes to prove you aren't shit or I'll call you on it.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
But I thought the OP's friend was checking to see if he qualified for Medicaid. If it turns out he does qualify for medicaid, will you apologize to his friend for calling him a POS?

Florida, in an effort to curb welfare rolls instituted mandatory drug testing. The tests cost hundreds of millions of dollars to implement. In the end it found less the 3 percent of the people used drugs and cut welfare costs lest then a hundred thousand dollars. When you figure in the hundreds of millions of dollars it cost to save a hundred thousand dollars, the state lost hundreds of millions of dollars in the plan.

For some reason lots of people think being poor is a crime or a character flaw. The Op's friend doesn't have much money but he seems like a good person who fell on hard times. Almost everyone will fall into some hard times, and everyone could use some help to get on their feet.

Not graduating from HS and having children out of wedlock... I have no problem with calling those character flaws. Drug use as well.

And the first 2 are quite easy to determine. No fancy testing required.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Even with the "free" healthcare as observed elsewhere, you have to draw a line somewhere. Baseball sized tumor is essentially death sentence, no matter who foots the bill until the inevitable end.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Not graduating from HS and having children out of wedlock...

Being married out of wedlock is not an issue, its having more kids then someone can afford.

There was a news article awhile back about a homeless woman who has 15 kids.

http://nation.foxnews.com/homelessn...dy-15-kids-somebody-needs-pay-all-my-children

Then there are lots of high school and college dropouts that went on to make something of themselves.

My uncle dropped out of school, and he owns a multi-milion dollar construction company.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Even with the "free" healthcare as observed elsewhere, you have to draw a line somewhere. Baseball sized tumor is essentially death sentence, no matter who foots the bill until the inevitable end.

Maybe. You'd be surprised what people have survived. Everything depends on type and placement. Things will never be the same, but again sometimes good things happen.

While I'm generally dismayed at incompetent and self serving politicians seizing control of medicine I am not against reform. I believe that providing some form of insurance, especially in situations where serious health issues are involved, ought to be provided.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Being married out of wedlock is not an issue, its having more kids then someone can afford.

There was a news article awhile back about a homeless woman who has 15 kids.

http://nation.foxnews.com/homelessn...dy-15-kids-somebody-needs-pay-all-my-children

It also says she has 3 baby daddies. There is a clear correlation between having children out of wedlock and not being able to afford them.

Not to mention that if you are married it makes it a lot easier to avoid needing to pay for daycare, which is a large expense and basically makes it a net loss for low-skill people to work if they have a couple (or 15) kids.

EDIT: And that video is pretty much a text book example of someone who should not be recieving government health care. If she gets cancer let her rot.

Last edited:

JoeyP

Aug 2, 2012
The poor guy has a brain tumor. Let's not beat up either political "side" and let's instead think of ways to solve the guy's crisis. Maybe a collection? A bullied bus monitor in Upstate NY got over $700k for just being there. This might not be the best long term solution for a broad group of people facing life threatening situations and expensive medical bills, but maybe this kind of grassroots effort is a start in the right direction.

Those who say "this side thinks this" and "that side thinks that" are doing nothing more that propagating partisan flame fests. Make your own conclusions instead of suggesting you know what someone or a political party thinks. And you wonder why there is so much division.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Well then you can use our search feature and embarrass me. I've called Ronnie out about pension raids.

Now I suggest this. Since you are insistent that I favored Ron R, then do that search function and pull out full quotes in context of anything that I've said about him.

Since you are so sure, then you get to call me a liar.

If you don't do so I'm going to say you are a dumb fuck and your inability or unwillingness leaves you lower on the evolutionary scale than scabies.

That's an offer you surely cannot refuse. Make me suffer.

I'll give you 15 minutes to prove you aren't shit or I'll call you on it.

Well look at the time stamp. I allowed more time and guess what? The lying shack of crit pussed out.

As I scrape dog shit off my shoe so I do with you. You are dismissed as worthless. Oh, rant if you want, but you painted yourself into a corner and when it came down to it you dumped a heaping pile of poo in your head. Wear it well, you deserve it.