No job, no insurance, has brain tumor

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I was debating between putting this in off topic, but since it deals with the politics of insurance, I decided to put it here. And this is a serious topic.

Middle aged man, friend of my family, in his late 40s, let go from his job a few weeks ago, no health insurance, has been suffering from mood swings and headaches for several months. The man has also been forgetting stuff lately.

Family thought it might just be a mid-life crisis that a lot of people experience.

Last night the man started running a high fever. Wife took him to local small town emergency room where an x-ray of his head was done.

x-ray showed a baseball sized tumor in the brain.

Small town hospital shipped him to larger town for cat-scan and mri. Scans showed the cancer has spread into the sinus area.

As of this morning, he is in Houston.

The family is already looking at tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills.

Why isnt there a safety net for people who make more then what medicaid allows, but can not afford to buy health insurance?

Obama would force people to buy insurance. But when families are barely getting by, how are they supposed to pay for the coverage?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Obama would force people to buy insurance. But when families are barely getting by, how are they supposed to pay for the coverage?

Maybe you should lobby your representatives in either the state government or the Federal government to expand on the existing law to cover those gaps.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There ought to be coverage in this situation. What the family needs to do is call social services if they haven't done so and see what's out there as well as local cancer societies. The hospital should be consulted as they may know what is available.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Because society has decided that we should give free health care to POS that suck off the teat of society instead of people like the one described in your post.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
when ObamaCare kicks in; those that have money will cover the costs of those that do not.

Standard MO of Dems; take from those that have, to those that do not, can no,t will not refuse to, etc.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
But how could he be out of a job; Obama is growing the economy; ask the Dems here, including Dave. :hmm

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Crabamacare does not address 2 most important issues

Cost of Healthcare (it will continue to skyrocket)
Insurance Companies (middle man that does nothing but gets BILLION)

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Fuck him. He was stupid and lazy enough to:

1) Not be born rich.
2) Not become rich.
3) Not keep a job.
4) Not keep insurance.
5) Not have yearly brain scans.

Why should I care? I don't know him, and I'm not related to him. Why should anyone care about anyone at all when there's nothing to be gained? He can't pay, so he's useless. Just another parasite being removed from the economy. Just give him a morphine drip, and tell him to "Have a nice day."

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Medicaid?

The family is going to apply for medicaid as soon as possible.

Currently the wife and man are in Houston. Their daughter is going to print the forms out and have them ready for when the mom gets back into town.

This is sudden news. My wife got the call from the mans daughter yesterday evening. The man and his wife were at the hospital, the doctors saw the tumor, called an ambulance and shipped him to Beaumont right then. From Beaumont he went to Houston.

The guy went in for a fever, and the next thing the family knows is he has a brain tumor and is in Houston.

The mans wife works, so I guess that will be factored into if they can get medicaid or not.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
good luck to your friend. any country will treat him better than here. Cuba, Phillipines......world class service and doctors at 1/3000th of the cost.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
when ObamaCare kicks in; those that have money will cover the costs of those that do not.

Standard MO of Dems; take from those that have, to those that do not, can no,t will not refuse to, etc.

We get it, 'let him die' is your motto, you sick bastard.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Fuck him. He was stupid and lazy enough to:

1) Not be born rich.
2) Not become rich.
3) Not keep a job.
4) Not keep insurance.
5) Not have yearly brain scans.

Why should I care? I don't know him, and I'm not related to him. Why should anyone care about anyone at all when there's nothing to be gained? He can't pay, so he's useless. Just another parasite being removed from the economy. Just give him a morphine drip, and tell him to "Have a nice day."

Republicans.txt

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
But how could he be out of a job; Obama is growing the economy; ask the Dems here, including Dave. :hmm

You are the scum of this earth to make a tasteless political jab over someone's illness. You truly are a Republican.

To the OP... Why didn't he apply for cobra?

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
kind of like taking land from the Palestinians. kind of.

Kind of like whining when you get pulled over for speeding in a constructions zone and then complaining of LEO being unfair.
Yet unable to present the video proof that you claim justified your speeding

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You are the scum of this earth to make a tasteless political jab over someone's illness. You truly are a Republican.

To the OP... Why didn't he apply for cobra?

COBRA cost $$; when out of a job, every $ counts.

Example:
If insurance is $200/month when working, it will be about $800/month when on COBRA.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
We get it, 'let him die' is your motto, you sick bastard.

Those that have the compassion for him and want to steal money refuse to hel him.

Typical - take from the others until it hits your pocket; Then you do not deliver because it comes from you, not others.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

It's part of the end game. When the poor and middle class have been beaten to death with mandatory coverage, they will happily vote for the government to provide it for free.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Terrible situation, but in his case I don't see why he didn't extend his insurance under COBRA (assuming his ex-employer did provide him health insurance). Under Obama and in the current recession, the government is subsidizing something like 90% of his share of the COBRA expense making his out of pocket share probably very small.

OTOH, as someone who pays for his own health insurance (couple in mid-50's, good health, $15,000 deductible, costs roughly $800 per month) I am very much aware of the expense he was facing if for some reason he didn't fit into the COBRA situation above.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Those that have the compassion for him and want to steal money refuse to hel him.

Typical - take from the others until it hits your pocket; Then you do not deliver because it comes from you, not others.

You're a prime candidate to be one of those conservatives who have a change of heart when something bad happens to him. Like that republican lady who got cancer and did a 180 on Obamacare when it saved her life because she could get health coverage. You people disgust me.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
He should still be eligible for COBRA (i think it's good for 30-90 days after you lose your job). It may not be cheap, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than no insurance.