NFSW (very graphic) :Wikileaks releases video footage of journalist killings

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
They had plenty of time to determine the threat.

As far as I know these videos we see are from hidden heli-copters. It's pretty obvious the people in this video didn't realize a gunboat was hovering over-head.

Also, it took the nearest ground troops like 10 minutes to arrive on the murder position.

So... who WERE they "shooting at?"

-John

5qpeg.jpg

The troops down the street.

Here is a first hand account from a reporter who was there (starts around 1:30)

http://www.npr.org/templates/player...n=1&t=1&islist=false&id=125630795&m=125630787

David Finkel: "Hi everyone. Thanks for joining this chat. We got to see an edited version yesterday of a disturbing video showing what one day in the surge was like. Since I happened to be there that day, I thought I'd try to put the video in fuller context. I'm looking forward to your questions...

What's helpful to understand is that, contrary to some interpretations that this was an attack on some people walking down the street on a nice day, the day was anyting but that. It happened in the midst of a large operation to clear an area where US soldiers had been getting shot at, injured, and killed with increasing frequency. What the Reuters guys walked into was the very worst part, where the morning had been a series of RPG attacks and running gun battles...

If you were to see the full video, you would see a person carrying an RPG launcher as he walkeddown the street as part of the group. Another was armed as well, as I recall. Also, if you had the unfortunate luck to be on site afterwards, you would have seen that one of the dead in the group was lying on top of a launcher. Because of that and some other things, EOD -- the Hurt Locker guys, I guess -- had to come in and secure the site. And again, I'm not trying to excuse what happened. But there was more to it for you to consider than what was in the released video."

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Damage Control...

Explain to me, how, if the area was so "HOT" it took the fucking ground troops 10 minutes, and multiple calls for directions, to get there.

Absolute bullshit.

-John

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I was going to post something, considering I was in Baghdad as part of an Infantry Company during this time, personally worked with that Apache unit (maybe even those pilots), and 2-16 was my sister Battalion. Due to this, I could probably give a good perspective on this video and the thread. But I know I'd get too wrapped up as the issue is too personal so I am going to back out of this thread :p

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
Damage Control...

Explain to me, how, if the area was so "HOT" it took the fucking ground troops 10 minutes, and multiple calls for directions, to get there.

Absolute bullshit.

-John

Yep, damage control from an author of a book that described the indecent word for word in his book before the video was leaked.

Did you ever stop for a second and think maybe the troops who came weren't the ones from down the street? I'm guessing they were there on an operation. Even if there wasn't fighting going on as the reporter who was there says even Reuters reports that there were Humvees down the road.

afstoumyndin.jpg

I was going to post something, considering I was in Baghdad as part of an Infantry Company during this time, personally worked with that Apache unit (maybe even those pilots), and 2-16 was my sister Battalion. Due to this, I could probably give a good perspective on this video and the thread. But I know I'd get too wrapped up as the issue is too personal so I am going to back out of this thread :p

Please do.

Last edited:

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
As far as I know, people have been asking for the video to be released since the day these people were murdered.

This book you talk about, well, ahem.

-John

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
There were no troops nearby, as evidenced by the people that were murdered. lack of concern.

-John

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
David Finkel: "...What the Reuters guys walked into was the very worst part, where the morning had been a series of RPG attacks and running gun battles..."
That claim conflicts what the military's own Attack Mission Request says:

Justification … BN LEVEL DELIBERATE CLEARANCE: From recent INTEL, the Al-Amin area has increased with IED/EFP activities, 7th St with the most activities occurred. Previous SIGACTS IVO 7th St, was an RPG/SAF attack on CF when conducting patrols, a possible IED and an IED attack.
Also note the EAD and direct fire threat lists no PIDs, only possibles.

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
That claim conflicts what the military's own Attack Mission Request says:

Also note the EAD and direct fire threat lists no PIDs, only possibles.

Uhh how does what David Finkel says conflict w/ the military's report? They both said the soldiers in the area were coming under attack.

And it doesn't matter what was written down they made PID. Do you even know what that form is for?

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Really, when you think about it, what is the point arguing about it????

With the limited platform you have here, there is nothing you can say or do about the video that will change the past, the present, or the future.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
They both said the soldiers in the area were coming under attack.
Rather, the AMR just mentions previous attacks, no standing PIDs; but of course such things don't matter to you as long as you don't want them to. Do you even know what reality is?

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Really, when you think about it, what is the point arguing about it????

With the limited platform you have here, there is nothing you can say or do about the video that will change the past, the present, or the future.
We argue about what we think.

I agree that it has little impact, but it is important to us.

-John

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
Rather, the AMR just mentions previous attacks, no standing PIDs; but of course such things don't matter to you as long as you don't want them to. Do you even know what reality is?

And based on that you're able to determine it's not referring to attacks against the troops on the ground that day?

You don't have the knowledge to know what it means. It could be referring to the justification for the air support during the overall mission...

Where does it say the helicopter fired with no PID?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
There were no troops nearby, as evidenced by the people that were murdered. lack of concern.

-John
Dude, the foto of the Humvee came from the camera of the dead photographer.

If there were no troops near by how did he take that photo??

Did it occur to you that a long range camera would make an excellent scouting tool for people who were staging an attack??

Take a photo from a long distance and then zoom in on the camera and look to see where the troops are standing??

You are really clueless on this. Even watching the edited video the shooting was justified. Or should the helicopter had waited until the insurgents opened fire on our soldiers?

BTW an RPG is a rocket. You shot it and it makes things blow up.
rpg.jpg

Nice video showing what an RPG can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BNg9W1WogM&feature=related

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Dude, the foto of the Humvee came from the camera of the dead photographer.

If there were no troops near by how did he take that photo??

Did it occur to you that a long range camera would make an excellent scouting tool for people who were staging an attack??

Take a photo from a long distance and then zoom in on the camera and look to see where the troops are standing??

You are really clueless on this. Even watching the edited video the shooting was justified. Or should the helicopter had waited until the insurgents opened fire on our soldiers?

BTW an RPG is a rocket. You shot it and it makes things blow up.
rpg.jpg

Nice video showing what an RPG can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BNg9W1WogM&feature=related
Tits or GTFO...

A photo of a humvee? This is what you base your arguement on?

-John

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Or should the helicopter had waited until the insurgents opened fire on our soldiers?

The liberal fools in this thread prefer to have our troops die first, that way there will be no doubt as to the intentions of the enemy. Everyone knows this.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Where are the journalists, which are documented facts, in the photo you just posted?

-John

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Tits or GTFO...

A photo of a humvee? This is what you base your arguement on?

-John
You think the humvee was sitting in a used car lot??

Prior to the events in the videos the people who were driving that humvee were under fire from small arms and RPG's.

When a group of people carrying small arms and RPGs show up down the street and start peeking around corners I am going to assume that they mean me harm.

Use your brain. If you heard gun fire in the parking lot of a store would you walk out and look around to see what is happening or would you run for cover? Most people take cover. The people in the video were walking TOWARDS the gun fire. Why would they do that?

Here is a nice photo by the dead photographer. Wonder what happened to the police officer that jacket was taken from?
Namir%20Noor-Eldeen_mosul.jpg