NFL thread 2021-2022

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

they're somehow worse than the Lions, lmfao

The Giants current squad may not be worse then the Lions or the Jags on the field this season (if healthy) BUT the organization is in FAR worse shape then either of those teams ... or the Jets for that matter!

The inept legacy of Dave Gettleman will haunt this team for a good decade or possibly longer.

Reactions: KMFJD

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The Giants current squad may not be worse then the Lions or the Jags on the field this season (if healthy) BUT the organization is in FAR worse shape then either of those teams ... or the Jets for that matter!

The inept legacy of Dave Gettleman will haunt this team for a good decade or possibly longer.
Eh, as fan of a team who has dealt with 20+ years of mostly failure, it's going to take more than just one bad GM to net a decade of failure. Daniel Jones' contract will eventually expire. Picking high will net a infusion young players.

Hope you guys win on Sunday. I very much enjoy the state of the Giants as is and that Chase Young is not in blue. :p

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Eh, as fan of a team who has dealt with 20+ years of mostly failure, it's going to take more than just one bad GM to net a decade of failure. Daniel Jones' contract will eventually expire. Picking high will net a infusion young players.

Hope you guys win on Sunday. I very much enjoy the state of the Giants as is and that Chase Young is not in blue. :p

I hope we lose. No point in winning now, especially that the damn Bears won last weekend and the Jets threw the game, our draft picks are getting worse and worse.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I hope we lose. No point in winning now, especially that the damn Bears won last weekend and the Jets threw the game, our draft picks are getting worse and worse.

There are a handful of decent players on this team, debatably the best of which is Barkley but at this point I feel he needs to be traded for O-lineman before he gets hurt again and we get nothing.

Daniel Jones is a complete bust and should be released unless we can dupe another team into taking him.

Reactions: zinfamous

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

i think the Giants have more individual talent on their roster than the Lions at this moment and i agree with your assesment

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
i think the Giants have more individual talent on their roster than the Lions at this moment and i agree with your assesment

Yep .... the problem is that "talent" plays positions where its not really needed for this team (like RB) thanks to stupid Gettleman ignoring line-play which the Giants have needed desperately for years.

It doesn't matter how talented your star offensive players are if the opposing teams D can freely roll right into the pocket and smash your QB to the turf 6 times a game thanks to no O-line.

EDIT: And WTF is Mara thinking not kicking Judge to the curb? I'd almost rather they brought back Pat Shurmur then keeping Judge who has proven to be a bad hire.

No serious GM candidate is even going to consider coming here with that ass-clown making calls on the sidelines.

Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
a team who has dealt with 20+ years of mostly failure

No question your team as a franchise has been one of the lamer in the NFL for quite awhile, however at the moment I'd say they are A BIT better off then then Giants talent-wise. (at least you may have a QB!)

The 2010/11 SB was 10+ years ago now and while I do appreciate those wins, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately?" league.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There are a handful of decent players on this team, debatably the best of which is Barkley but at this point I feel he needs to be traded for O-lineman before he gets hurt again and we get nothing.

Daniel Jones is a complete bust and should be released unless we can dupe another team into taking him.
No point in releasing Jones, who's going to play QB? Solidify the lines and may as well have him chuck the rock behind hopefully a better online while you rebuilt and maybe draft a QB in 2023. I mean you can see how well Glennon played with the same team. Jones played with, Jones looked serviceable compared to him.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No point in releasing Jones, who's going to play QB? Solidify the lines and may as well have him chuck the rock behind hopefully a better online while you rebuilt and maybe draft a QB in 2023. I mean you can see how well Glennon played with the same team. Jones played with, Jones looked serviceable compared to him.

Does it even really matter at this point? o_O

Jones is a borderline BACKUP NFL quarterback at best and Glennon isn't NFL materiel in any capacity.

At the very least I'm pretty sure it would free up significant cap-room.... between that and trading Barkley to a contender we might be able to start rebuilding.

And make no mistake "rebuilding" is 100% where the NY Giants are at.

:(

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Does it even really matter at this point? o_O

Jones is a borderline BACKUP NFL quarterback at best and Glennon isn't NFL materiel in any capacity.

At the very least I'm pretty sure it would free up significant cap-room.... between that and trading Barkley to a contender we might be able to start rebuilding.

And make no mistake "rebuilding" is 100% where the NY Giants are at.

:(
Might as well play D. Jones to see if anyone bites in a trade with the plan of converting him to RB or WR. Plus, it would attract attention from the likes of the NFLPA looking into abusing/sabatoging labor by starting a much less competent backup in Glennon(basically a meathead) over Jones.

Now, if the plan is to just tank, dump Jones regardless, and no one else in the league protests, then Mike Glennon is THE MAN.

No question your team as a franchise has been one of the lamer in the NFL for quite awhile, however at the moment I'd say they are A BIT better off then then Giants talent-wise. (at least you may have a QB!)

The 2010/11 SB was 10+ years ago now and while I do appreciate those wins, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately?" league.
All I'm saying is that Gettleman's mistakes can be readily reversed as quickly as it arrived if his successor is a better grocery shopper. The core you see now could quickly be gone in just 2 years and replaced with better players. Short of a Matt Millen level of ineptitude, constantly drafting high will result in a stacked team eventually....just ask San Fran about that....

And as far trends goes, any time NY messes up, Washington outdoes NY. NYG drafts Daniel Jones, Washington drafts...Haskins. ;)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Might as well play D. Jones to see if anyone bites in a trade with the plan of converting him to RB or WR. Plus, it would attract attention from the likes of the NFLPA looking into abusing/sabatoging labor by starting a much less competent backup in Glennon(basically a meathead) over Jones.

Now, if the plan is to just tank, dump Jones regardless, and no one else in the league protests, then Mike Glennon is THE MAN.

All I'm saying is that Gettleman's mistakes can be readily reversed as quickly as it arrived if his successor is a better grocery shopper. The core you see now could quickly be gone in just 2 years and replaced with better players. Short of a Matt Millen level of ineptitude, constantly drafting high will result in a stacked team eventually....just ask San Fran about that....

And as far trends goes, any time NY messes up, Washington outdoes NY. NYG drafts Daniel Jones, Washington drafts...Haskins. ;)

You're more optimistic then I am that's for sure!

With Judge and Twinkle-toes Jones coming back next year along with the majority of the losers that are already here, the season is almost certainly already gone. (I'm calling 5 wins max right now)

Then rookie-year of a new head-coach after Judge finally gets canned and still some of the old players hanging around like a bad rash = lost season again.

So absolute best-case for any meaningful improvement is 3 seasons out for the Giants and I think even THAT isn't very likely. More realistic is that they might turn the corner with some wise moves at 3 years and start improving again at least!

In any case it's time for a fire-sale in East Rutherford. :confused:

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
As the resident Bills fan, all I can say is that the Music City Miracle started a 17-year playoff drought for Buffalo. Screw that play. Screw it every way possible.
I'll screw that play and enjoy every moment of pleasure from that screwing. And in honor of Nashville's culture, I'll fire up Elvis' "Burning Love" while doing the screwing.

You're more optimistic then I am that's for sure!

With Judge and Twinkle-toes Jones coming back next year along with the majority of the losers that are already here, next season is already gone.

Then rookie-year of a new coach after Judge gets canned and still some of the old players = lost season again.

So absolute best-case for any meaningful improvement is 3+ years out for the Giants and I think even THAT isn't very likely.
Not really optimism. Just that's how the business rolls with regards to a drafted QB.
Like all rookie QBs, Jones has 4-5 years to "prove it". Like many before him, the incumbent, Eli, was shoved out the door briskly so Jones can starting building a body of work; that's the business environment now. This season was year three for Jones and it looks like no progress was made at all. So he's coming into year 4 with very low stock and he has to basically improve his play big time just to get the fifth-year option exercised. I doubt he can do that this year or sustain his play if he does manage to get a fifth year. The romance would then be over and a new era begins. If Jones continues to suck like he does now, NYG will still draft in the top 10 for the next couple years, quietly get some talent to develop, and potentially have a proper QB in their grasp after punting Jones out the door.

Since the NYG's new GM doesn't have any loyalty to or personal investment in Jones, that increases the probability Daniel Jones will be dumped after next season's end without a vastly substantial improvement from Daniel Jones. If Daniel Jones somehow does manage to substantially improve, then you'll be a happier camper. But if not, he presence in NY is not going to be for much longer.

Mitch Trubisky has already went down this road. For him, even with a deep playoff run, his play failed the eye test afterwards and the Bears declined to pick up the fifth year option.

Kirk Cousins did a little better but Washington wasn't quite sure about him and ultimately let him go, and it seems like letting him go was not a bad decision; Cousins has shown he certainly has a glass ceiling even with solid talent at WR for him, both in Washington and Minny.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'll screw that play and enjoy every moment of pleasure from that screwing. And in honor of Nashville's culture, I'll fire up Elvis' "Burning Love" while doing the screwing.

Not really optimism. Just that's how the business rolls with regards to a drafted QB.
Like all rookie QBs, Jones has 4-5 years to "prove it". Like many before him, the incumbent, Eli, was shoved out the door briskly so Jones can starting building a body of work; that's the business environment now. This season was year three for Jones and it looks like no progress was made at all. So he's coming into year 4 with very low stock and he has to basically improve his play big time just to get the fifth-year option exercised. I doubt he can do that this year or sustain his play if he does manage to get a fifth year. The romance would then be over and a new era begins. If Jones continues to suck like he does now, NYG will still draft in the top 10 for the next couple years, quietly get some talent to develop, and potentially have a proper QB in their grasp after punting Jones out the door.

Since the NYG's new GM doesn't have any loyalty to or personal investment in Jones, that increases the probability Daniel Jones will be dumped after next season's end without a vastly substantial improvement from Daniel Jones. If Daniel Jones somehow does manage to substantially improve, then you'll be a happier camper. But if not, he presence in NY is not going to be for much longer.

Mitch Trubisky has already went down this road. For him, even with a deep playoff run, his play failed the eye test afterwards and the Bears declined to pick up the fifth year option.

Kirk Cousins did a little better but Washington wasn't quite sure about him and ultimately let him go, and it seems like letting him go was not a bad decision; Cousins has shown he certainly has a glass ceiling even with solid talent at WR for him, both in Washington and Minny.

Kirk Cousins is freaking Joe Montana compared to Daniel Jones.

Jones needs to be gone asap.... he has zero trade value (or close to it) and is nothing but an injury and turnover prone cap-hit.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Kirk Cousins is freaking Joe Montana compared to Daniel Jones.

Jones needs to be gone asap.... he has zero trade value (or close to it) and is nothing but an injury and turnover prone cap-hit.
Only one more year for that RB. ;)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Only one more year for that RB. ;)

As I said I think they need to trade Barkley before next season even starts. I would say him making it through a full season uninjured next year is unlikely and the next one could be career-ending.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
As I said I think they need to trade Barkley before next season even starts. I would say him making it through a full season uninjured next year is unlikely and the next one could be career-ending.
I was calling Jones a RB. He can't throw but he can run like the wind. Maybe he'll backup Lamar someday, just like Trubisky backs up Josh Allen. :p

• Haha

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There is zero benefit to dumping Jones now. He is the best QB on the roster and unless the new GM really thinks one of the QB's in this draft is worth one of our two top-15 first rounders, and no analyst seems to think any QB's are worth that high of a pick, though that doesn't mean too much, you gotta keep Jones and use all the picks on positions of need, starting with the O-Line and then the D-Line. Also a damn WR that can stay on the field. Jones can manage the team next season while the new GM continues to add pieces, including a QB the year after.

Trade Barkley. That was a stupid stupid pick at #2.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
There is zero benefit to dumping Jones now. He is the best QB on the roster and unless the new GM really thinks one of the QB's in this draft is worth one of our two top-15 first rounders, and no analyst seems to think any QB's are worth that high of a pick, though that doesn't mean too much, you gotta keep Jones and use all the picks on positions of need, starting with the O-Line and then the D-Line. Also a damn WR that can stay on the field. Jones can manage the team next season while the new GM continues to add pieces, including a QB the year after.

Trade Barkley. That was a stupid stupid pick at #2.

Logically I KNOW you are correct about Jones.... not that it's saying much on this team.

I suppose we COULD just allow Jones to be one of the below while we spend ALL of our upcoming high drift picks on linemen to protect the NEXT starter!

53640825.jpg

Cross your fingers maybe he'll play just well enough for some desperate over-500 team next season to actually give up something of value for him! (not bloody likely)

Thing is I have a strong dislike for that baby-faced bastage ... really I never want to be forced to look at him in a Giants uniform again.

:p :confused:

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Logically I KNOW you are correct about Jones.... not that it's saying much on this team.

I suppose we COULD just allow Jones to be one of the below while we spend ALL of our upcoming high drift picks on linemen to protect the NEXT starter!

53640825.jpg

Cross your fingers maybe he'll play just well enough for some desperate over-500 team next season to actually give up something of value for him! (not bloody likely)

Thing is I have a strong dislike for that baby-faced bastage ... really I never want to be forced to look at him in a Giants uniform again.

I dunno why you hate him so much, honestly he got dealt a pretty shitty hand. Two horrific coaches in Shurmur and Judge, horrible o-line play his entire time here, except for Andrew Thomas this year, has barely had more than one actual good skill position player at one time, and when he did, like this year, and maybe briefly when Barkley had the one good year, none could stay healthy for long. I kinda feel bad for him. He got thrown into the worst case scenario for a rookie QB - a shittily run team from the GM level down to his coach, running around for his life with barely any good player to chuck the rock to.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I dunno why you hate him so much, honestly he got dealt a pretty shitty hand. Two horrific coaches in Shurmur and Judge, horrible o-line play his entire time here, except for Andrew Thomas this year, has barely had more than one actual good skill position player at one time, and when he did, like this year, and maybe briefly when Barkley had the one good year, none could stay healthy for long. I kinda feel bad for him. He got thrown into the worst case scenario for a rookie QB - a shittily run team from the GM level down to his coach, running around for his life with barely any good player to chuck the rock to.

Not like its personal but I certainly don't feel any sympathy... not his fault he sucks I suppose but he never should have been drafted in the first place.

Barkley on the other hand really got the shaft in terms of his football career but I also have 7.2 million reasons (in 2022 alone) not to feel all that sorry for him either!

:p

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not like its personal but I certainly don't feel any sympathy... not his fault he sucks I suppose but he never should have been drafted in the first place.

Barkley on the other hand really got the shaft in terms of his football career but I also have 7.2 million reasons (in 2022 alone) not to feel all that sorry for him either!

:p

Barkley did also get put into a crappy situation with a bad O-line, except he dances too much. Other 2nd string RB's are running behind the same o-line and looking more decisive and with better YPC stats. But I think the situation scarred him too. He will do well on a good team.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

Lol, T.O making some news.

Although he's still more capable at playing athletics than most people in the world and can wreck a few young bucks who don't know his capabilities. Dude does take care of himself very well.
So he's been "working out", fine, he's 48yrs old though and I think his chance to compete and contribute on an NFL team are long gone. Probably still has great hands and can get contested balls, but not enough speed for the WR position.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

53640825.jpg

IIRC the Giants signed Solder when he refused the Pats offer as an unrestricted FA, it was a pretty hefty deal too, has he sucked in NY that bad?.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
IIRC the Giants signed Solder when he refused the Pats offer as an unrestricted FA, it was a pretty hefty deal too, has he sucked in NY that bad?.
He was a turnstile. A very expensive one. One of the worst free agent signings by the Giants in a while