NFL 2022 Season

Page 63 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
All I know is that if I took/delivered a hit like these guys do routinely I doubt they would even bother with CPR afterwards. NFL players have to be at least partially nuts.

:oops:

Last time I recall feeling like this was after Dennis Byrd.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I’m writing my opinions based on my experiences as an RN who worked almost every type of ICU and ER/ED for decades. Flew on life flutes, rode ambulances, even managed to keep a 5 min old premature infant “alive” for over an hour whilst awaiting the Neonatal ICU transport to arrive. That was difficult—-even today it’s hard and that happened 30 years ago.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
He's in critical condition which is better than dead at least. Based on how long they were giving CPR (multiple minutes), there is definitely still a major concern if he has anything more than a pulse. Have to feel bad for his mother etc... who were at the game to watch this all play out.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
thanks for your service @Meghan54
My sister was an ER trauma nurse for decades. We are sitting here wondering if it is something like a dissection. Those are no pulse events though.
I also realize that hospitals don't like to release bad news on a high profile case either.
My sis was flying to LA to work 3 12's and then fly back to Seattle to work 3 more, they were that short of trauma nurses at the time. She was putting her daughter through medical school so there is that.
On one flight a pasty grey guy walked by and she knew. They took off and he was down in a few minutes and the flight diverted. He just had that look. She worked him but to no avail.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
That’s sorta encouraging but the heart, as a basically autonomous muscle, wants to beat, even if the rest of the body doesn’t want/can’t survive on its own…i.e.—no spontaneous respirations.
We don't have details, though. Who knows, maybe they used paralytics. Trying to hope for the best for this young fella.

For those who are wondering, and I have absolutely no information beyond that publicly available but I suspect this was commotio cordis. Bad. Luck.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I hope for the best for Hamlin. Good to see he has a pulse but time elapsed is huge and he might be brain damaged.

Had a close call after surgery for my mother after surgery. She landed in the ICU but she made it through.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
We don't have details, though. Who knows, maybe they used paralytics. Trying to hope for the best for this young fella.

For those who are wondering, and I have absolutely no information beyond that publicly available but I suspect this was commotio cordis. Bad. Luck.
Very well could be true…but sounds like he’s somewhat stable right now. Hopefully he survives. His football days are over tho…assuming he walks out the hospital, which is a best case ending. I do hope he walks out in a few weeks.

But sudden cardiac arrest or arrhythmias are tough for younger peeps…the younger the peep who suffers a cardiac dysrythmia, the more fatal it can be. I’ve seen oldsters get thru something like this while a kid/teen/YA gets hit with v fib and succumbs despite major efforts.

I’m praying for his recovery…I’m frightened for him because I’m just too damned aware of all the pitfalls and roadblocks ahead.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
there's some god aweful takes floating around this morning, from the nfl wanting them to resume play (and the players telling the league to go fuck itself)

Guys have gotten seriously hurt before and those games didn't get postponed, so this is unprecedented. The logistics of getting the game in is going to be tough given that this is the second to the last game of the regular season. You can't just play the game tommorow and move the Bills/Bengals final games to Monday because of the playoff implications. Once the Bills went home I assume they can't do it tonight.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
A similar situation happened to a high profile soccer player in Christian Eriksen at the '21 Euros. Had to be resuscitated on the field and survived, he had a pacemaker implanted afterwards and is still playing at a high level in his 30's.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
A similar situation happened to a high profile soccer player in Christian Eriksen at the '21 Euros. Had to be resuscitated on the field and survived, he had a pacemaker implanted afterwards and is still playing at a high level in his 30's.
Also happened to Jiri Fischer of the Red Wings , had a cardiac arrest when he came off the ice, the game was postponed. They would not clear him to resume playing and he's now a Director of Player Development for the team

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Happened to a friend of my wife's husband. Got hit in the chest with a software during a game. Got up to walk it off, collapsed and died.

Hamlin, presuming he recovers, will likely never be playing again. Sadly he had a very promising career ahead of him replacing Mica Hyde this season after injury and standing out at safety. Odds are he'll get an injury settlement that might be a bit better than his rookie contract he's playing on (6th rd 2021 pick), but definitely not going to be the same. I hope the Bills step up and takes care of him. I know the Bills Mafia will do their best.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The interesting thing is that if the game is declared a tie, it gives Cincy the AFC North title but takes them out of the running of the Top Seed. And Buffalo would lose their tiebreak advantage with KC so all KC would need to do is beat Vegas to then get the Top Seed.

Reactions: Captante

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I know the Bills Mafia will do their best.

Hamlin's charity is almost up to $4mil just 12hrs after the incident, not just Bills Mafia but the whole NFL fanbase is responsible for that. I'm sure Tee Higgin's charity (Boys and Girls Club of America) has seen an uptick as well.

Reactions: KMFJD and Captante

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Guys have gotten seriously hurt before and those games didn't get postponed, so this is unprecedented. The logistics of getting the game in is going to be tough given that this is the second to the last game of the regular season. You can't just play the game tommorow and move the Bills/Bengals final games to Monday because of the playoff implications. Once the Bills went home I assume they can't do it tonight.

Chuck Hughes had a major heart attack on the field in...1971, IIRC, and died at the hospital. The teams finished the game.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
hmm, that is a bit shocking.

Softball... sorry.

Hamlin's charity is almost up to $4mil just 12hrs after the incident, not just Bills Mafia but the whole NFL fanbase is responsible for that. I'm sure Tee Higgin's charity (Boys and Girls Club of America) has seen an uptick as well.

That's his charity though. I'm talking specifically about HIM and whatever is left of his career in this case.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Welcome back (?) SunnyD!

hmm, that is a bit shocking.
It happens when you run Windows Me.

The interesting thing is that if the game is declared a tie, it gives Cincy the AFC North title but takes them out of the running of the Top Seed. And Buffalo would lose their tiebreak advantage with KC so all KC would need to do is beat Vegas to then get the Top Seed.
IMO there's no way they'll declare it a tie, but it's hard to see what the optimal solution is as we head into week 18. I think the easiest move would be to resume the game on Thursday, but then the teams' week 18 game would have to be moved to no earlier than Tuesday? And if either team doesn't have the playoff bye, they'll have another short turnaround for wild card weekend.

Because of playoff implications, it is unlikely that either team could just "default" on its week 18 game. If they chose to not resume this game quickly, and just play out week 18, I think the problem would be how to resolve which AFC team gets the bye week.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
See the logistics is the problem. At this point I think the tie is what they will do. It absolutely screws over Miami and Pittsburgh (and to an extent Baltimore) but moving multiple games around to get this played is just not worth it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I suspect they'll try to get this game played but it's not going to be easy to do it fairly to all considering the point in the season and the major playoff seeding implications.

Glad I don't have to make the call. :dizzy:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I’d wager he’s already not alive. 24 years old and cpr isn’t a good combination…pretty deadly, actually.

Bet it was an unknown clot that broke loose, gave him a stroke initially then a heart attack. Heart attack at 24 is deadly… much more so than an MI (myocardial infarction—aka heart attack) at 64.

A little unsure about the proper terminology here, but they're saying he didn't have an infarction, which I guess is a circulation problem where blood is not flowing properly, causing damage to the heart muscle? They're saying he had cardiac arrest, a sudden stoppage of the heart. Making it much worse.

I have a friend who is a 6th grade teacher. Last year his heart just suddenly stopped while teaching a class. Fortunately a 10 year old student immediately bolted for the office after he collapsed, and the school nurse had a defibrillator and was able to bring his heart beat back. They said he would have been dead or severely brain damaged had she gotten to him even a couple minutes later.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Per WFAN NY just now "the NFL has stated the game will not be continued this week and no decision has yet been made about if/when it will be played"

Real helpful. :rolleyes:

EDIT: No updates on Hamlin beyond what we already know.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Ken g6