Next-Gen Console Poll

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What platforms will you buy for 2013-2014 timeframe?

• None. Will keep what I've got (PC/PS3/360/etc)

• Xbox One

• Playstation 4

• Wii U

• PC

• Mobile (3DS/Vita/iOS/Android/etc)

Results are only viewable after voting.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I got the Xbox360 first for same reason as everyone else: It came out first. I switched to PS3 when it died within a year, after finding out there was a known hardware issue that was causing most of them to die. Logic dictates I should abandon it, so I did. I read about others who went through half a dozen and couldn't understand why they wouldn't switch to PS3. I now know more people with a PS3 than an xbox360, but there are still some people that never made the switch, the most common reason being that the rest of their friends have a 360. I think that excuse will disappear in the next gen.

Yeah, but the ones I know didn't even have that excuse or don't mention it. I think they just really only play shooters and some sports games (which it doesn't matter what platform you have for sports unless you like baseball and then MLB The Show is better). Everything else they probably don't really touch. I dunno

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Yeah, but the ones I know didn't even have that excuse or don't mention it. I think they just really only play shooters and some sports games (which it doesn't matter what platform you have for sports unless you like baseball and then MLB The Show is better). Everything else they probably don't really touch. I dunno

The only reason I kept both was for exclusives and I amassed a huge collection of DLC for Rockband on the 360. Pretty much that single game locked me to needing both.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
4 to 1, sheezus.

Almost everyone voted before the X1 180 though.

A second poll thread was created after MS decided to stop crippling used disc sales, but the mods locked that thread as redundant. The numbers would be much closer together now, since some people actually like Kinect and don't mind paying $100 extra for it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Played my PS3 for the first time in the past 3 years and the controller doesn't feel as bad as it use to. I think because i had small hands but it felt alright still not as comfortable as the xbox controller but i liked it when i was playing Marvel vs Capcom 3

you make the most irrelevant posts on this forum. pretty sure you are trying real hard to get your post count up for some reason lol.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
:colbert:

How is it irrelevant and i really don't care about post count as that's stupid it makes no difference

You made a comment on how you feel about a controller while playing a game on a console that is not relevant to this particular thread. This thread has nothing to do with controllers, or current gen consoles, or how you feel about all that. So yeah, it was irrelevant to the thread.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
You made a comment on how you feel about a controller while playing a game on a console that is not relevant to this particular thread. This thread has nothing to do with controllers, or current gen consoles, or how you feel about all that. So yeah, it was irrelevant to the thread.

welp fixed

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
I still think MS have an uphill battle for this next gen..

They no longer have a 1 year head start,
They no longer have the faster GPU with more Usable Ram
They no longer have the cheapest system

It will be very interesting to see how a cheaper more powerful PS4 competes with a more expensive slower Xbox1

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
The numbers would be much closer together now, since some people actually like Kinect and don't mind paying $100 extra for it.

Uhh...what?!?

Can you point to any of these people who like Kinect and would pay a $100 premium for it?
Because I haven't seen them. Most people hate Kinect, at the very least aren't interested in or excited by it, and I've yet to hear anyone say it's worth another $100.

While the poll this time around would probably be closer, it would still be over 2 to 1 in the PS4's favor.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009

A second poll thread was created after MS decided to stop crippling used disc sales, but the mods locked that thread as redundant. The numbers would be much closer together now, since some people actually like Kinect and don't mind paying $100 extra for it.

I like Kinect but I'm still leaning towards PS4 and the Eye.

We did a fresh poll on another forum, after Microsoft's latest change of policy and the PS4 is still winning by 311 votes to 64 so far.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004

Nope. No they wouldn't be. Would probably be 3:1 as opposed to 4:1 but they certainly wouldn't be anywhere close to equal.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I still think MS have an uphill battle for this next gen..

They no longer have a 1 year head start,
They no longer have the faster GPU with more Usable Ram
They no longer have the cheapest system

It will be very interesting to see how a cheaper more powerful PS4 competes with a more expensive slower Xbox1

Well, heading into Xbox 360, Microsoft really only had Halo and a small amount of momentum coming from a 2nd place console. Sony was coming off the most popular console in history, and their long wait and arrogance/screwups really did give the gen to 360 in US market.

This time though, everything you say is exactly true. However, there is still a ton of brand loyalty to the Xbox, and many people tied up in their exclusive titles. I still think PS4 has the overall advantage due to price and better hardware, but I don't think that will translate to more than a fairly split market.

Now if the 360/PS3 hadn't existed, and this is what holiday 2005 was looking like? Holy moly, it would have been like 12-1 in favor of Sony coming off PS2. But I think 360 picked up a ton of gamers who had previously been PS2 players.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Well, heading into Xbox 360, Microsoft really only had Halo and a small amount of momentum coming from a 2nd place console. Sony was coming off the most popular console in history, and their long wait and arrogance/screwups really did give the gen to 360 in US market.

This time though, everything you say is exactly true. However, there is still a ton of brand loyalty to the Xbox, and many people tied up in their exclusive titles. I still think PS4 has the overall advantage due to price and better hardware, but I don't think that will translate to more than a fairly split market.

Now if the 360/PS3 hadn't existed, and this is what holiday 2005 was looking like? Holy moly, it would have been like 12-1 in favor of Sony coming off PS2. But I think 360 picked up a ton of gamers who had previously been PS2 players.

True dat. I'm only still interested in XB1 due to liking the 360. I had a blast on the original Xbox which is what caused me to get a 360... It's a big cycle.

I'm seriously considering only PS4 this round although knowing me, I'll likely get both. I'll also finally get a Wii U when a true new Zelda is announced.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Also I know a few younger gamers who never had a ps1 or ps2. They started with Xbox and that's all they know. They might have played a ps3 but they really don't know the history of Sony at all.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Unless you care about exclusives and are a traditional console gamer, the PS4 and the Xbone will have most of the same games that will look and play almost identical. With MS' DRM, the cost of the Xbone would be much much higher than if you had just bought a PS4 but now with their reversal, the cost will still be higher but a lot more reasonable.

The reason I say this is because the system costs more to begin with and as of now, we only think PS4 will require a paid account to access multiplayer games where as MS requires it for ANYTHING online. I watch Netflix and HBO Go but I sure am not paying extra for the privileged to stream it to my console if I don't have to.

I will probably hold on to the 360 for the next few years and buy neither but if I do, looks like the PS4 will be a better value.

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
True dat. I'm only still interested in XB1 due to liking the 360. I had a blast on the original Xbox which is what caused me to get a 360... It's a big cycle.

I'm seriously considering only PS4 this round although knowing me, I'll likely get both. I'll also finally get a Wii U when a true new Zelda is announced.
I already know I will get both. I also know that I probably shouldn't, with my schooling my game time is already down to just the weekend. Most of my friends are just sticking with Xbox and I am moving next year, so I know that I will get one so that I can play stuff with them. But I don't want to miss out on the Sony games, so I will get that too. It sucks that I have to pay to play online on PS4 now, but I guess that's the way it goes.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I already know I will get both. I also know that I probably shouldn't, with my schooling my game time is already down to just the weekend. Most of my friends are just sticking with Xbox and I am moving next year, so I know that I will get one so that I can play stuff with them. But I don't want to miss out on the Sony games, so I will get that too. It sucks that I have to pay to play online on PS4 now, but I guess that's the way it goes.

You could always just pay for XBL Gold and play those games with your friends and reserve the PS4 for games that are exclusive or perhaps better on PS4? Would save a few bux a month, but of course PSN+ has the bonus games they give out for members.

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
You could always just pay for XBL Gold and play those games with your friends and reserve the PS4 for games that are exclusive or perhaps better on PS4? Would save a few bux a month, but of course PSN+ has the bonus games they give out for members.

True. One thing I keep in mind is that all my in laws and their friends play playstation, and we are moving down to their city next year. Either way, I'm getting both. There's no reason not too.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
True. One thing I keep in mind is that all my in laws and their friends play playstation, and we are moving down to their city next year. Either way, I'm getting both. There's no reason not too.

Yeah, I've decided I will scrape together a few bux each year to buy XBL/PSN+ cards on discount via ebay deals etc. Should be no issue getting $40 or less together before it's time to renew.

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
Yeah, I've decided I will scrape together a few bux each year to buy XBL/PSN+ cards on discount via ebay deals etc. Should be no issue getting $40 or less together before it's time to renew.

Smart plan. That's what I do. I'm fact, eBay is selling live for $35 right now via newegg.

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
I bought my 360 to play Forza 2. It was my first and so far only console and was the default choice due to Sony not having a then-current gen driving sim. Have since enjoyed F3, F4, and F:H which leads me to lean towards the XB1 and F5.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Not a fan of Kinect, nor paying $100 premium for it, but if I buy something at launch it will probably be based on the online experience. I really like Live and the main knock people have had against it is the cost premium. Now I'll also have to pay that premium on PS4 so the cost component is a wash. In the long run I'll own both for exclusives but in the case where the title is multiplatform I'll default to the system with the better overall user experience. This is why I use my 360 for everything other than playing blu-rays and playing titles such as Uncharted and NNK.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Not a fan of Kinect, nor paying $100 premium for it, but if I buy something at launch it will probably be based on the online experience. I really like Live and the main knock people have had against it is the cost premium. Now I'll also have to pay that premium on PS4 so the cost component is a wash. In the long run I'll own both for exclusives but in the case where the title is multiplatform I'll default to the system with the better overall user experience. This is why I use my 360 for everything other than playing blu-rays and playing titles such as Uncharted and NNK.

Its not a wash because PSN is cheaper than XBL