Newly elected GOP congressman (NY) appears to have lied about ... EVERYTHING

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
And then .... Soon after the Nassau County Republican leaders urged Congressman George Santos to resign. Queens County GOP Chairman said he would not be calling for Santos’ resignation (at this time).

Same narrative with McCarthy. They won't ask him to resign until he's indicted/convicted. His finances stink to high heavens, and it looks like really incompetent fraud and embezzlement. We'll see how long they keep this rancid rotting stinker on their boat.

I honestly doubt they'll ask him to resign unless he's convicted. And even then it's a tossup. Someone (not George) paid a lot of money to get that house seat and they're not giving it up until they absolutely have to.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I honestly doubt they'll ask him to resign unless he's convicted. And even then it's a tossup. Someone (not George) paid a lot of money to get that house seat and they're not giving it up until they absolutely have to.
I doubt they will ask him to resign either - if he does he is highly likely to be replaced by a Democrat and the Republican majority is already hanging by a thread.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
And then .... Soon after the Nassau County Republican leaders urged Congressman George Santos to resign. Queens County GOP Chairman said he would not be calling for Santos’ resignation (at this time).

Same narrative with McCarthy. They won't ask him to resign until he's indicted/convicted. His finances stink to high heavens, and it looks like really incompetent fraud and embezzlement. We'll see how long they keep this rancid rotting stinker on their boat.
Next from McCarthy, "Has he been found guilty of a crime?"
1*UPwnSRr5ujBqkZlLDGv88A.gif

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I like how they seem to realize he lied about everything but remain strangely credulous about his campaign promises.

Yeah ... Hilarious. The Queens GOP head made these comments AFTER Nassau GOPers said that they will not work with him at all.

Yeah, I don't think they will ask him to resign either, along the lines of what you stated. Sadly, the choruses from cowardly Republicans of "What did he do that was so wrong?!...Did he commit a crime?!?! will normalize his misdeeds. But on the bright side will continue to stink up the place. For a party that ran on delivering results, keeping this con man in their ranks does them no favors.” His own Republican party leaders in New York are calling for him to resign. Looks like Kevin is ignoring those folks. Not a good look.

Even if McCarthy was willing to bring that pressure, I cannot see Santos caring in the slightest. This is all he has. Santos will cling to his $175,000 position and ride it as far as he can get. They will have to drag him out kicking and screaming. Plus, given they have a two-year term and the glacial pace of most court proceedings for this kind of stuff it is likely the rep could stay in office his full term before a conviction pushes him out.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Somebody handed this clown a lot of money, I want to know who, and what he promised in return. This should happen right after he leaves congress in disgrace, and right before his trial for campaign finance violations.

Though the simple solution might be to extradite him to Brazil.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Somebody handed this clown a lot of money, I want to know who, and what he promised in return. This should happen right after he leaves congress in disgrace, and right before his trial for campaign finance violations.

Though the simple solution might be to extradite him to Brazil.
Sadly he has strong incentives to stay in congress. First, lawyers are expensive and he probably needs his congressional salary. Second, he can offer to trade his resignation for lighter treatment from prosecutors and the odds of him coming into contact with some prosecutors soon seem high.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I think charging in Brazil and extradition would be the quickest route. At least in terms of getting him out of his seat. A US investigation would still be easier for the GQP to explain away with a really extreme application of "innocent until proven guilty". But if he's physically gone to another country for trial, that argument becomes near impossible.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think charging in Brazil and extradition would be the quickest route. At least in terms of getting him out of his seat. A US investigation would still be easier for the GQP to explain away with a really extreme application of "innocent until proven guilty". But if he's physically gone to another country for trial, that argument becomes near impossible.
Have we ever extradited a sitting member of Congress? My strong suspicion is no and it might not be something the US wants to set a precedent on.

Reactions: hal2kilo

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
But will Brazil ask for him to be extradited? Wouldn't hold my breath there. The only hope is NY state going after campaign finances.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Have we ever extradited a sitting member of Congress? My strong suspicion is no and it might not be something the US wants to set a precedent on.

I don't think we have, but it would be fun to watch. Possibly use it as additional lever to exert pressure on him as well.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Just wanted to make the point that the Repubs have tolerated Trump's sordid behavior as a mentally deranged morally and ethically barren kompomized tool of Putin's for over four years and counting.

That same tolerance for a being a chronic liar and an adulterating incompetent egotistical braggart that Trump has shown himself to be is being applied to Santos. I really don't expect much to be done about booting Santos out of the House until the Repubs can figure out a way to get him replaced with another Repub from his district.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Sadly he has strong incentives to stay in congress. First, lawyers are expensive and he probably needs his congressional salary. Second, he can offer to trade his resignation for lighter treatment from prosecutors and the odds of him coming into contact with some prosecutors soon seem high.
And the republican's need him to keep his seat, so they're going to pretend everything is fine until he ends up in jail.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
And the republican's need him to keep his seat, so they're going to pretend everything is fine until he ends up in jail.
Even if they had a 20 seat lead, they’ll still call this a nothing burger

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
But will Brazil ask for him to be extradited? Wouldn't hold my breath there. The only hope is NY state going after campaign finances.

Possible other way to get him out. If he does get charged with campaign finance or other crimes, prosecutors could make any plea deal contingent on him resigning from Congress.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
While the media was largely asleep at the wheel, numerous republicans operatives knew about Santos lies. He was in fact advised to drop out of the race but ignored the suggestion.